Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

I normally don't care for dashcam crash videos too much, but this is beautiful. Almost every single one has an extra layer of Russia to it. Also, bravo to the driver with the sick dodge in the second clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sel Nar posted:

So, remember that shithead Shkreli, who jacked an anti-parasitic drug's price by 5500% a few months ago?

http://usuncut.com/class-war/martin-shkreli-explodes-1-dollar-aids-pill

Karma came calling.

More technical article at http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/10/drug-with-rage-inducing-5000-price-hike-now-has-1pill-competitor/ but this is awesome. There's probably a good market in producing a bunch of cheap pills for Africa, and it sounds like they're using two drugs that are already pretty well known so hopefully not getting tested by the FDA doesn't bite everyone in the rear end.

e:fb

goatsestretchgoals has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Oct 23, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

Shitbird that hiked up the price of an AIDS drug to obscene levels ($750/pill) just had a competitor release a similar pill that they sell for $100/bottle, averaging out to ~$1/pill.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/10/drug-with-rage-inducing-5000-price-hike-now-has-1pill-competitor/

Wonder how many $750 pills they managed to sell before the plug got pulled. At a $55 million price tag for the drug he bought, he may have made a tidy profit or a huge loss depending on how quickly the pipeline was moving. Proooobably not enough to be worth completely trashing his name and reputation for, though.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

Wonder how many $750 pills they managed to sell before the plug got pulled. At a $55 million price tag for the drug he bought, he may have made a tidy profit or a huge loss depending on how quickly the pipeline was moving. Proooobably not enough to be worth completely trashing his name and reputation for, though.

At this point I'm finding myself thinking that he did all this for some hosed up e-fame reasons. Everyone knows who he is now, he's a BIG NAME even if everyone knows who he is because he's a massive loving turd of a person.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Slime posted:

At this point I'm finding myself thinking that he did all this for some hosed up e-fame reasons. Everyone knows who he is now, he's a BIG NAME even if everyone knows who he is because he's a massive loving turd of a person.

Yeah and in the circles he runs in, being a gigantic rear end in a top hat to poor people isn't a bad thing, so he's doing fine. Regrettable lack of schadenfreude here. :smith:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Choco1980 posted:

:suspense:

Fantastic, now the problem is over and the country can go back to completely ignoring how every single pharmaceutical company does this practice but gets away with it because unlike that guy have a platoon of lawyers and several congressmen in their pockets.

Once a drug is generic anyone can do this, this idiot tried to price gouge something any company can get the formula too. the only time drug companies can actually gouge is the 7 year period they get if they are the ones to invent a drug

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

But he paid millions for the rights to the drug, so it would be an awfully expensive way to get attention

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

buttcoinbrony posted:

Yeah and in the circles he runs in, being a gigantic rear end in a top hat to poor people isn't a bad thing, so he's doing fine. Regrettable lack of schadenfreude here. :smith:

There are still lines that you're not supposed to cross, though. He's preemptively torpedoed a lot of business because his name is so toxic for PR. That will probably fade eventually, but so will whatever benefit he hoped to eke out of this whole deal.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Once a drug is generic anyone can do this, this idiot tried to price gouge something any company can get the formula too. the only time drug companies can actually gouge is the 7 year period they get if they are the ones to invent a drug

It's not a completely terrible plan, because starting up production is fairly expensive. No one is going to invest a bunch of money to get in a price-cutting war for a moderately overpriced orphan drug: if he had been smart enough to charge $75 instead of $750 his company would have been safely lost in the crowd of drug companies doing the same thing, but he got too greedy and burned himself.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Oct 23, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

There are still lines that you're not supposed to cross, though. He's preemptively torpedoed a lot of business because his name is so toxic for PR. That will probably fade eventually, but so will whatever benefit he hoped to eke out of this whole deal.

It's not a completely terrible plan, because starting up production is fairly expensive. No one is going to invest a bunch of money to get in a price-cutting war for a moderately overpriced orphan drug. If he had been smart enough to charge $75 instead of $750 his company would have been safely lost in the crowd of drug companies doing the same thing, but he got too greedy and burned himself.

I'm thinking he's trying to turn CEO at a gimmick company into VP of Synergy at one of the big corporations, so he wouldn't be out front anyway.

E: Or maybe he's a gigantic dumbass. Both options are not mutually exclusive.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

buttcoinbrony posted:

I'm thinking he's trying to turn CEO at a gimmick company into VP of Synergy at one of the big corporations, so he wouldn't be out front anyway.

E: Or maybe he's a gigantic dumbass. Both options are not mutually exclusive.

What Fortune 500 company is going to want to announce they just hired Cocklord Megahitler right after he blew a huge wad of money on an acquisition that he made unprofitable after a couple months and will probably ultimately lose money on? He managed to gently caress up easy money (again, this is a completely by the books play--the company he bought the drug from had done the exact same thing a couple years back, but they only hiked the price to $13.50.)

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Scyantific posted:

Did I just see someone break their neck?

No it's Batman. :confused:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Was this posted already?

LA Beast has brain parasites. Probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZ7YLP-GUk

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

What Fortune 500 company is going to want to announce they just hired Cocklord Megahitler right after he blew a huge wad of money on an acquisition that he made unprofitable after a couple months and will probably ultimately lose money on? He managed to gently caress up easy money (again, this is a completely by the books play--the company he bought the drug from had done the exact same thing a couple years back, but they only hiked the price to $13.50.)

I stand by my edit of 'both.' :colbert:

Schadenfreude has been restored.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Jastiger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjzgbZL12VI

Youtuber videogamedunkey is banned after being super over the top mean to some people on the game over and over again. he claims his popularity should give him exemption from the rules.
"Over 3,000 people die
every year from rage induced strokes
caused by League of Legends"

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

mcbexx posted:

"Over 3,000 people die
every year from rage induced strokes
caused by League of Legends"

This is an awful haiku.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

WoodrowSkillson posted:

How're you liking your life-dependent epi-pen that's gone up in cost by 1200% in the last 30 years, most of which was only in the last decade?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

xoFcitcrA posted:

I normally don't care for dashcam crash videos too much, but this is beautiful. Almost every single one has an extra layer of Russia to it. Also, bravo to the driver with the sick dodge in the second clip.

The Cement Truck hitting a sink hole is amazing, it was like it was meant for it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scarf posted:

I kinda hope the douchebag comes back saying "See what I did there? By being an rear end in a top hat and upping the price, we now have a comparable pill even cheaper than it was before. See how great I am?" :smug:

I don't think he's quite that smart or calm. He got so pissed at Bernie Sanders for giving his campaign donation to an HIV and LGBT clinic (to publicly tell Shkreli "I don't want your loving money funding me") he punched a wall and broke his wrist. Right now he's in the middle of a non-stop temper tantrum raging at everyone he can find reason to rage at.

Slime posted:

With becoming the most hated man in America, probably not. He actually has a really long history of loving up businesses, lying about inventing pharmaceuticals, and trying to manipulate regulations. His Captain Planet villain shtick is really his legit personality, just 100% shameless greed and abuse of everyone who crosses his path if he can make a dollar off them.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Anora posted:

The Cement Truck hitting a sink hole is amazing, it was like it was meant for it.

Th-this is my hole! It was made for me!

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think he's quite that smart or calm. He got so pissed at Bernie Sanders for giving his campaign donation to an HIV and LGBT clinic (to publicly tell Shkreli "I don't want your loving money funding me") he punched a wall and broke his wrist. Right now he's in the middle of a non-stop temper tantrum raging at everyone he can find reason to rage at.

With becoming the most hated man in America, probably not. He actually has a really long history of loving up businesses, lying about inventing pharmaceuticals, and trying to manipulate regulations. His Captain Planet villain shtick is really his legit personality, just 100% shameless greed and abuse of everyone who crosses his path if he can make a dollar off them.

Apparently he faked the wrist break, at least according to that article.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

he faked it poorly in fact. just a couple hours after posting a doctored x-ray claiming to be his (and stolen off a stock photo site) he posts a picture of him with his guitar asking if anyone else wants to jam. Right.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think he's quite that smart or calm. He got so pissed at Bernie Sanders for giving his campaign donation to an HIV and LGBT clinic (to publicly tell Shkreli "I don't want your loving money funding me") he punched a wall and broke his wrist.

As of a couple days ago it seemed that he faked that for attention. The x-ray he tweeted was found on GIS, he just added his name to it. And a few hours after that he tweeted a picture of himself playing guitar, which I'm pretty certain you can't do with a broken wrist.

So yeah he's some sort of Ultimate Turd Goblin and I hope he gets hit by a truck.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

MariusLecter posted:

Was this posted already?

LA Beast has brain parasites. Probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZ7YLP-GUk

This is actually my first real LA Beast video, I've only ever seen clips or gifs before.

This one seems pretty serious, like his own version of a PSA about how what he does is destroying him. And a pretty public cry to say 'don't do this, and please stop cheering me for it'. And possibly 'I want to be able to stop doing this to myself for your amusement'.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

LawfulWaffle posted:

Th-this is my hole! It was made for me!

дpp дpp дpp

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

This is hilarious because amongst the things I wouldn't expect eyeing my junk in a public toilet, it's an Emu.

im pooping! posted:

Apparently he faked the wrist break, at least according to that article.

So he's like a college Pol. Sci. troll that tries to play the puppetmaster card shouting "Dance, Dance, it's all on purpose that you find out I used GIS images, look at me emulating other famous e-person" or something?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

That's not how it works.

See, there are on-label and off-label uses for any drug. On-label uses are the ones for which specific studies have been performed, showing to the FDA's satisfaction that the drug works to treat a specific thing in a specific population. Then the FDA can write up a nice label for the drug, indicating a specific dose, etc. Off-label uses are by definition unapproved. That doesn't mean they're not safe, or the drug doesn't work, it's that nobody has spent the money to do the mandated studies to get on-label approval. Lots of drugs used to treat kids are used off-label all the time, because nobody's going to jump through the ethical hoops to perform drug studies in kids (poor kids, because rich kids' parents don't usually enter them into drug studies) when the drug already exists and is available by prescription anyway.

What Shkreli did was do exactly what we'd expect people to do under the FDA's regulatory regime. The FDA wants companies to take these old generics, that are being used off-label, and pay for new studies to establish on-label uses for them. But they're generics, anyone can make them, including generic companies in India or China which would undercut the poo poo out of anyone establishing new on-label uses for those drugs, so any company spending the money for the studies would be cutting its own throat. So the FDA says to those companies, "Pay for the studies, and we'll grant you marketing exclusivity for some number of years." So the fact that any company can get the formula to the drug is *irrelevant*, because the only company allowed to *market and sell the drug* is the one the FDA gives that right to. Someone else can be making that drug and selling it right now, it doesn't matter, when the FDA gives you the marketing right that other company is SOL and you can charge what you want.

You really think Shkreli tried to "price gouge something any company can get the formula to" and he's therefore an idiot? It doesn't work that way *at all*, and what he did happens *all the time*. Colchicene's been used to treat gout for 3000 years, it works, but since it's this old-assed drug that's existed since forever nobody bothered to make it jump through the FDA hoops until 2009, when URL Pharma did it, was granted an exclusivity period of 3 years, and promptly hiked the price of the drug by 15 times.

This company undercutting Shkreli? It's a *compounding pharmacy,* which essentially is a bespoke drug manufacturer. A doctor can write a script, saying "take this particular chemical and mix it with this particular chemical and dispense it to my patient." So they're dodging around the exclusive right granted Shkreli; they're not marketing and selling the drug, they're taking that drug and mixing it to order, combining it with a second drug that's commonly given along side of it to treat the first one's side effects, resulting in something of very similar function but not the same thing, and dispensing it per a doctor's instructions.

It's nice of them, but it's limited. If you need that drug, your doc can't call up CVS and phone in a prescription for you to pick up, he needs to order it from them. They can't market this drug. They can't prepackage it and send it out to pharmacies to sit on shelf-stock. Each patient's doctor needs to craft a specific request, etc.

Shkreli's not an idiot, Shkreli's engaged in entirely predictable, and usually successful, rent-seeking. If he hadn't spiked the cost so much nobody would have loving noticed because their co-pays wouldn't have gone up and the only ones paying the extra cost would be the insurers (and by extension, everyone who has insurance).

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I got in a fight with my wife yesterday night over generics because she doesn't trust them and I don't know enough other than saying "jesus they're the same I don't know why the label says something else", so thank you for that extensive post I can use to sound very smart and correct now.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I got somehtin for you chinaman7k

http://freakonomics.com/2014/09/11/how-to-save-1-billion-without-even-trying-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

This is awesome, I'm gonna play this in my car while we're driving today. I'm great at relationships.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Shkreli's not an idiot, Shkreli's engaged in entirely predictable, and usually successful, rent-seeking. If he hadn't spiked the cost so much nobody would have loving noticed because their co-pays wouldn't have gone up and the only ones paying the extra cost would be the insurers (and by extension, everyone who has insurance).

The other reason he got the bullseye painted on him is because he tried to do it practically solo, unlike most Big Pharma companies, which as I said earlier have a cadre of lawyers and many politicians bought off to look the other way while they do just this. There's absolutely nothing new or unusualy about Shkreli's actions, he just made himself a target while doing so because he's a big douche.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I got in a fight with my wife yesterday night over generics because she doesn't trust them and I don't know enough other than saying "jesus they're the same I don't know why the label says something else", so thank you for that extensive post I can use to sound very smart and correct now.

This is not always true. There are many drugs where the generic isn't exactly the same as the name brand, just "close enough", which sometimes can mean monumentally being ineffective for individual cases. I've had immunosuppressants where the pharmacy tried to pawn off the generic on me only for the doctor to put his foot down and say "no way". The more complicated and specialized the drug, the more you should probably ask your doctor first before using a generic version. Something like blood pressure pills or pain relief post surgery are fine, but some fancy specialized anti-cancer drug or something is a case where you need to be more prudent.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

another schedenfruede success story.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Choco1980 posted:

How're you liking your life-dependent epi-pen that's gone up in cost by 1200% in the last 30 years, most of which was only in the last decade?

Out of curiosity, what does an epipen cost in the US? I buy them here in Canada for my son, and they are around $100, which is entirely paid for by coverage I have from work, so they actually don't cost me anything. Even if I did have to foot the bill, that's not so much that I couldn't afford to keep a few on hand.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

From what NPR told me recently (I don't need them) they now cost close to $400 USD. You have to buy them in two packs at that price tag, but that's also the only way they're sold anymore.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Chinaman7000 posted:

Generics can have a minimum of 80% of the effective ingredient of the drug and that percentage can vary from batch to batch. If you have a life threatening illness or have seizures a generic can be ineffective because of the dosage. My brother nearly died because a hospital gave him a generic instead of the "name brand" stuff.

Most of the time generic are perfectly fine though.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

It's just allergy medicine, so I'm probably OK, I think.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Chinaman7000 posted:

It's just allergy medicine, so I'm probably OK, I think.

Hope you take an extra pair of pants when you go out.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
America (And Canada?) your healthcare is messed up. Come to England, enjoy our less-than-£10 prescriptions for whatever the doctor writes on the slip. No haggling, or getting fobbed off with generics.

Then, when you've lived here for a bit, vote against the tories before they sell more of it to the USA...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

That's not how it works.

See, there are on-label and off-label uses for any drug. On-label uses are the ones for which specific studies have been performed, showing to the FDA's satisfaction that the drug works to treat a specific thing in a specific population. Then the FDA can write up a nice label for the drug, indicating a specific dose, etc. Off-label uses are by definition unapproved. That doesn't mean they're not safe, or the drug doesn't work, it's that nobody has spent the money to do the mandated studies to get on-label approval. Lots of drugs used to treat kids are used off-label all the time, because nobody's going to jump through the ethical hoops to perform drug studies in kids (poor kids, because rich kids' parents don't usually enter them into drug studies) when the drug already exists and is available by prescription anyway.

What Shkreli did was do exactly what we'd expect people to do under the FDA's regulatory regime. The FDA wants companies to take these old generics, that are being used off-label, and pay for new studies to establish on-label uses for them. But they're generics, anyone can make them, including generic companies in India or China which would undercut the poo poo out of anyone establishing new on-label uses for those drugs, so any company spending the money for the studies would be cutting its own throat. So the FDA says to those companies, "Pay for the studies, and we'll grant you marketing exclusivity for some number of years." So the fact that any company can get the formula to the drug is *irrelevant*, because the only company allowed to *market and sell the drug* is the one the FDA gives that right to. Someone else can be making that drug and selling it right now, it doesn't matter, when the FDA gives you the marketing right that other company is SOL and you can charge what you want.

Is it actually that bad? The situation as described in all the reports I've seen is slightly different: nobody ever bothered seeking marketing approval for generic Daraprim because it's such a niche drug, so even without truly exclusive rights for the drug they're the only ones who have the approval to sell it. The door to getting a generic approved and marketing it is technically still open to anybody who wants to jump through the hoops, but no one does because it's a lot of money for no payoff.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

mds2 posted:

Generics can have a minimum of 80% of the effective ingredient of the drug and that percentage can vary from batch to batch. If you have a life threatening illness or have seizures a generic can be ineffective because of the dosage. My brother nearly died because a hospital gave him a generic instead of the "name brand" stuff.

Most of the time generic are perfectly fine though.

The benzo thread in tcc is hilarious. Every few pages someone will go on a batshit rant about getting generics instead of their namebrand benzos while the rest of the thread tells them to shut up and stop abusing.