Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

gently caress I'm buying that :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

drat that is slick as hell

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Holy poo poo I have to buy that so that the SS gently caress you, got mine can live up to its proper glory...

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I'm bummed it's not in their steam storefront yet, got a bit of wallet I'd really like to put towards it.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

96 is out.

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=8a2e2a2e48

also, a nice ship chart.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

For sure wait until they do their Black Friday sale. Last year they hosed up and gave a bunch a skins away for free.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

For sure wait until they do their Black Friday sale. Last year they hosed up and gave a bunch a skins away for free.

I still have a bunch of Eagle and Cobra skins I got this way. :haw:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Chrysophylax posted:

FDev apparently wanted you to just keep multiple copies of ships instead of letting you refit without cost

This is so :frontear: I don't even know where to begin

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Friend's trying to convince me that you get a bounty bonus from Avril without pledging to her

I'm trying to convince him he's been lied to

WHO IS RIGHT

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Friend's trying to convince me that you get a bounty bonus from Avril without pledging to her

I'm trying to convince him he's been lied to

WHO IS RIGHT

Everyone gets the 20% mentioned on the Stats page under Exploitation Impact.
Only pledgers gets the additional rank 2 and 5 bonuses (and only if they have the correct rank obviously).

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Lima posted:

Everyone gets the 20% mentioned on the Stats page under Exploitation Impact.
Only pledgers gets the additional rank 2 and 5 bonuses (and only if they have the correct rank obviously).

Alright that makes sense, so we were both semi correct

I planned to get to rank 5 hauling poo poo but the cooldown or 100k credits thing is lovely as hell. Maybe I can ruin some hostiles.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

deadlyrhetoric posted:

I have 50 mil. Should I jump on the iClipper bandwagon or just go back to hauling rares in my Asp?

It's going to cost more than 50mil to equip it out.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

I planned to get to rank 5 hauling poo poo but the cooldown or 100k credits thing is lovely as hell. Maybe I can ruin some hostiles.

General method for grinding merits (don't grind merits) is to splash 334 nerds in haulers the first week and 153 every week after that for sick 50mill payouts + bonuses.

It's generally more fun to do fun things instead, though.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Beware the rank 5 grind. We have lost many a goon to it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Paramemetic posted:

General method for grinding merits (don't grind merits) is to splash 334 nerds in haulers the first week and 153 every week after that for sick 50mill payouts + bonuses.

Not only that, but inbetween your mind-numbing grinding you're going to be getting interdicted by every loving NPC Powerplayer not aligned with the Empire which is a real bitch when all you want to do is gently caress around with something other than combat.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

Given that it's 1 merit for every ton of cargo I quickly decided I made a terrible mistake if I wanted anything past 2.

I'm one haul away from getting rank 2 and I might try to do that and see if I can't hover at 5 via combat.

So just jump into hostile territory, find Hostile targets in FSD, knock them out and kill them? Or do I want to try to find a Hostile with a CZ/RES/Nav beacon and stick to Wanted + Hostile?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How does the hauling portion of powerplay work? If you had a Type 9 with 500 cargo space and you get 1 merit per ton, wouldn't it only take 20 runs to go from 0 to 10,000?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
In hostile territories, specifically enemy control territories, interdict and kill any non-imperial power play ships for 30 merits each. Then turn them in and hate yourself.

Again, though, you will most likely have more fun doing anything else. Avril made many goons rich, but many of these fell to either the tedium of the grind, or the vast sea of nothingness that money unlocks.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

^^^^ Well tbh the only other thing I'd be doing is HiRes which is "fly in circles around green guys, try to shoot the guys they're shooting before they gangbang them into the void." I'm not comfortable enough with my gearout yet to want to try Haz, mostly due to no 7A shield

Met posted:

How does the hauling portion of powerplay work? If you had a Type 9 with 500 cargo space and you get 1 merit per ton, wouldn't it only take 20 runs to go from 0 to 10,000?

Yes, but you only are assigned 10 units every half hour, unless you spend 100k cr to instantly reset the timer for another 10

Like you could do it in 20 runs but you'd also spend 100,000,000 cr

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Met posted:

20 runs and 45 million spacebucks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Paramemetic posted:

20 runs and 45 million spacebucks.

Alright so small profit the first week, but then it's only costing you 23mil and 20 runs for a 27mil payout every week? As opposed to the interdict grind?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Something I've noticed reading through the newsletter that may be of interest:

quote:

More than 220,000 pilots have signed a petition calling for an inquiry into the lack of anti-collision lights on starships and emergency lighting on system-authority ships. Jenson Zanetti, chairman of the Pilots Federation Safety Board, stated: "At some point in their careers, most pilots will be struck by an authority or private vessel they did not see, which can be disastrous for both parties. If our proposals are implemented, we predict a massive decrease in the number of fatal collisions in and around space stations."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If they put :siren: :siren: on the viper then I am 100% buying a new viper.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Has anyone had trouble with gemFX running on windows 7, I put everything in both the base steam folder for elite and the product folder (they both have .exes) but it doesn't do anything.

I tried EDFX which did work but it turned everything into a super bright lens flare, with no way to turn off the effects that were making it so bright, and the game has no way to lower the brightness for no explainable reason. Maybe sweetFX will work and not blind me?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
To anyone who was doing Sothis Gold hauling for money, they have noticed that it was bugged and have made it so that it caps at 20 again.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

AndroidHub posted:

To anyone who was doing Sothis Gold hauling for money, they have noticed that it was bugged and have made it so that it caps at 20 again.

So...literally no reason to make the 300 LY trip anymore, then?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AndroidHub posted:

:frontear:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

AndroidHub posted:

I don't get how the guys who put out a video showing space ATVs with lasers blasting each other and spaceships bombing the poo poo out of a building can somehow be so anti-fun.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does anyone have fun just playing the game, or is making money fast the only thing folks enjoy?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Does anyone have fun just playing the game, or is making money fast the only thing folks enjoy?

Playing the game is pretty much a screensaver outside of combat.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

chaosapiant posted:

Making a long trading trip with the promise of getting a truckload of a rare, valuable commodity and selling it for megabucks is a fun thing to do. Making that same trip for peanuts is not fun. They took something appealing and made it much less appealing because it's 1984 and games aren't fun yet.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

chaosapiant posted:

Sure seems like it sometimes.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I really like the pewpew combat in my clipper and between interesting combat situations I mostly do missions or haul. Interesting combat being CZs I care about and PvP.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

chaosapiant posted:

All the fun is gated behind money and much of the money making is not fun. Instead of making the fun thing pay well, which is the obvious solution.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Sometimes I wonder how many of the people who defend moneymaking nerfs are just people who became Space Romney's back in the Capital AFK or Seeking Luxuries days who really mean "gently caress you, got mine"...

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I dunno, there's a lot of fun to be had on the cheap too. I progressed from Sidewinder to Eagle to Adder to Viper and beyond, I sort of skipped the iconic Cobra. Took a break from the Asp to try it finally and cripes, I was missing out. Two fixed cannons that unfurl before your cockpit glass, a couple million in upgrades, and a CZ? Great stuff.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

GaylordButts posted:

Sometimes I wonder how many of the people who defend moneymaking nerfs are just people who became Space Romney's back in the Capital AFK or Seeking Luxuries days who really mean "gently caress you, got mine"...

Probably a mix between those guys and our friend "I've been playing since December and only have 11m cr so nobody should have more than me"

e: servers down or just slow?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

On the flip side there is a lot of fun to be had in the cheaper ships so more money and bigger ships doesn't necessarily mean more fun or better flying.

I got a bunch of money and ended up back in the courier for when I want to be serious for PvP or whatever because it's just so drat fun and good at it. I use a clipper for less serious stuff like general PvE because it's super style and good at taking missions of all kinds.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Even without powerplay bonuses you can still have vulture money in just a couple hours of bounty hunting, a full day or two if you count starting in a sidewinder and getting acclimated to the game. With powerplay bonuses a clipper or python arent very far out of reach either.

The progression curve is flawed for sure, but not being able to grind out a Python in a single weekend or make great money doing combat in exactly the form you prefer isn't the greatest criticism of it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

#clipperproblems

• Locked thread