Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

I would hate this game much less if all the BBs would stop being such back of the map sniper bitches. So when I play a BB I need to either hang back hoping for lucky hits at 20km, or sail in for a few moments of actually fun brawling before exploding due to being in range of their entire team :argh:

That's the way to do it, just go in kill as much as you can and die, going out in a blaze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
gently caress you, pubbie thundercunts :argh:

Murdered all their destroyers, and three cruisers and we still manage to lose.Last five minutes of the game is me and ryujo resetting the cap points from 950 back to 880, again and again. Missed the Fuso coming straight at me on my last torp run, while I was sitting in smoke with three cruisers within 8k of me.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

R. Mute posted:

It's like a less-good Phoenix, but the Phoenix is great. I just found out about Russian torps, though - after hitting a Myogi with seven of them and just going "welp i tried" and dying

Yeah, they don't do a lot of damage. I was ~2km from a loving St. Louis in my Derpski and fired one volley of 3 torpedoes. All three hit and they did not kill him. The St. Louis went on to kill me.

Darkrenown posted:

I would hate this game much less if all the BBs would stop being such back of the map sniper bitches. So when I play a BB I need to either hang back hoping for lucky hits at 20km, or sail in for a few moments of actually fun brawling before exploding due to being in range of their entire team :argh:

I like this game because I like botes, but this is my biggest gripe; that and pubbies being allergic to cap circles in domination games. Nothing like having the reds get all four cap circles while the cluster of retards just putter around at the map borders taking potshots because they're afraid of the damage rendering of their precious pixels.

When I'm playing a BB, I'll snipe for a little while in the beginning, but then will just go in at some point and try to do as much damage as I can before I die. One of my favorite games was sailing up the middle in Two Brothers in my Tirpitz, torpedoing one red Tirpitz and ramming another. Another time I did that, I fired torpedoes on both sides of me all the while my secondaries are broadsiding like crazy. It was glorious.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

Yeah, they don't do a lot of damage. I was ~2km from a loving St. Louis in my Derpski and fired one volley of 3 torpedoes. All three hit and they did not kill him. The St. Louis went on to kill me.
It's tempting to look at having 9 torpedoes at tier IV as licence to just saturate the seas with them to make sure you hit something, cut off escape routes, take into account course adjustments - but that's not how they're supposed to be used, really. You might hit a couple of torps, but they'll just lightly dent whatever they're hitting. It's 5000 damage per hit on average - not real impressive.

I still like my Izyaslav though. It's great at just wrecking destroyers and being a big nuisance to any other ships. It'd be on par with the Clemson if it weren't made out of engines and rudders and the occasional magazine.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
Hey guys, I've been playing this game for a while and only now realized that there were probably a good amount of you guys playing it. Just wanted to pop by and give you my two cents on the Nürnberg, a ship that I struggled with at first but now love with a passion. It may very well be the most fragile cruiser I have played in the game yet, which at first I thought was a total disadvantage. However, it forces you to change your playstyle, which I think will come in handy for the later tiered German cruisers. The HE on this ship is lackluster, and I would almost recommend firing AP a majority of the time. This ship also appears to be heavily reliant on modifications, and they will vastly increase this ships potential.

Running at about a 2.2 K/D in the Nurnberg so far. Loving this little machine gun.

Fergus fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 24, 2015

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

R. Mute posted:

I still like my Izyaslav though. It's great at just wrecking destroyers and being a big nuisance to any other ships. It'd be on par with the Clemson if it weren't made out of engines and rudders and the occasional magazine.

My last three games in it before the Gnevy were 4 kill carries.

I kind of want my Izyaslav back which is better for its tier imho (but still like the gnvey)

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 24, 2015

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I was just in a game where an enemy carrier wasted 4 torpedo bomber strikes on my Kolberg (two totally whiffed). That alone should lock you out of using a carrier for like 30 days.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Lakedaimon posted:

I was just in a game where an enemy carrier wasted 4 torpedo bomber strikes on my Kolberg (two totally whiffed). That alone should lock you out of using a carrier for like 30 days.

My first Kolberg game was tier 5, as the only tier 3, and the enemy carrier went out of its way to bomb me first. I don't know why: a Kolberg in tier 5 is lucky to break 10000 damage.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I know we've all had bad teams, but I was just in a Tier IV game and the top two xp ships on my side were Kolbergs at just over 400 each. Needless to say it was a slaughter.

Finally used the gold camo for the first time in my Mogami. 2x for the first win, xp flag, camo = 10k+ woo

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I really need to start enabling replays. Just got a beautiful game with my Mogami. 166 hits, 6 torpedo hits, 163k total damage game. High Calibur, and my last torpedo spread getting me a Flesh Wound on my second Tirpitz of the game.

Ended up with 2,163 BEXP, which after the x2 came out to 4,326. Not sure what it would have been if I'd had the gold paint and flag stacked as well.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
So what's the verdict with the Yorck? I'm getting mine later tonight hopefully, but I'm worried because I haven't heard anything good from anyone I've talked to. It has big guns though, that will probably be fun.

Edit: What in the FLYING gently caress is up with an 8 km concealment range on a carrier? Is this a loving joke? I knew exactly where he was on the map but couldn't shoot him, meanwhile wave after wave of planes was loving pummeling me. I'm heated right now.

Fergus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 24, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Have they sad anything about these awful weekend specials? 2x instead of 1.5x on my first win of the day? Yikes, loving embarrassing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

No loving clue how we won that, was like 7 of them to 3 of us when I died and left.

Also Deutsch Nozzle, sorry if you got dc or something.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Apparently when adding the German cruisers somebody thought that 6" guns with less penetration than the 5" guns on US destroyers were a necessary addition to this game. At least Karlsruhe usually does nonzero damage when it hits.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

James Garfield posted:

Apparently when adding the German cruisers somebody thought that 6" guns with less penetration than the 5" guns on US destroyers were a necessary addition to this game. At least Karlsruhe usually does nonzero damage when it hits.

Uh the German 150s are great at penetrating, aren't they? I have had no problem penetrating anything, even BBs

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Fergus posted:

Uh the German 150s are great at penetrating, aren't they? I have had no problem penetrating anything, even BBs

The tier 5 and 6 are. The tier 4 has different guns, with really low velocity and even lower penetration.

It's still better than the tier 3.

I would almost accuse wargaming of Nazi bias.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

James Garfield posted:

The tier 5 and 6 are. The tier 4 has different guns, with really low velocity and even lower penetration.

Ah ok, I free xp'd past the Karlsruhe after one game so my recollection of that ship was pretty non-existent.

Edit: Just had this gem of a match, entire team went east, I decided to go west. I killed the four ships that went east, and then went to go support my team. My teammates were dropping like flies, and I figured the only way we'd win is if I capped, so I ninja capped and they couldn't get to me fast enough. No confederate medal so I clearly didn't deserve all six of the kills, but I did what I had to do to win.

Fergus fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 24, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

MoraleHazard posted:

When I'm playing a BB, I'll snipe for a little while in the beginning, but then will just go in at some point and try to do as much damage as I can before I die. One of my favorite games was sailing up the middle in Two Brothers in my Tirpitz, torpedoing one red Tirpitz and ramming another. Another time I did that, I fired torpedoes on both sides of me all the while my secondaries are broadsiding like crazy. It was glorious.

Those are the best games.

WoT has a small hidden XP boost for doing damage to tanks within 200m of yourself, I wonder if a larger and more visible boost for close range (under 10km, say) BB damage would motivate pubbies to close the range?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Darkrenown posted:

Those are the best games.

WoT has a small hidden XP boost for doing damage to tanks within 200m of yourself, I wonder if a larger and more visible boost for close range (under 10km, say) BB damage would motivate pubbies to close the range?

It doesn't motivate them in WoT, it certainly won't do it here.

Your logic is almost sound, but you forget these are not sentient, reasoning beings we are dealing with here.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

First day back playing in weeks, I fire one gun on my Minekaze and the client freezes until the server kicks me out, and the server won't let me back in the game until my ship sinks, Wargaming are loving terrible. I've played AW all week, it's still in beta and yet it's never crashed or locked up on me. Someone tell Obsidian to make a ships game and I'll be all over it.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
1 slot and 1 day of premium to claim there
http://www.razerzone.com/world-of-warships-comms

As per usual WG bullshit, new accounts gets more cool stuff.

No idea what's that "BONUS CODE FOR GLEAM.IO CONTEST" is.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 24, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Krogort posted:

1 slot and 1 day of premium to claim there
http://www.razerzone.com/world-of-warships-comms

As per usual WG bullshit, new accounts gets more cool stuff.

No idea what's that "BONUS CODE FOR GLEAM.IO CONTEST" is.

So I have to install a 100mb pack of malware (presumably) and sign up for some bullshit just to get a slot and 1 day of premium? Thanks for the heads up though.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm.. malware, identity theft.. fraud. But hey that's the equivalent of five dollars for a slot and a day of premium, totally worth it.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

James Garfield posted:

I just skipped the Karlsruhle entirely and went straight for the Konigsberg. It feels fragile, but the guns are nice.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The tier 5 German cruiser is ok. Not sure I'd take it over the Omaha/Murmansk but I don't hate it.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
I got my Yorck last night, and I managed to get a couple games in with it before I went to bed. I have to say so far I am NOT impressed, and I think it might be my least favorite ship in the game at this point.
The guns are short barreled 21,0 cm guns, and the shell arc is pretty similar to that of the 15,0 cm guns on the Nurnberg. Per volley I seem to be doing the same amount of damage I was doing in the Nurnberg, and the turret traverse would make some battleships laugh. Weak armor, weak AA, I'm just not seeing a strong point with this ship.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
My first game in the kberg I got about 100 hits and sunk two ships before anyone decided to shoot at me. The first salvo that hit me detonated my magazine.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I've Detonated a Konigsberg with secondaries(admittedly while in a Nagato), so there's that about them regarding their armor.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Fergus posted:

I got my Yorck last night, and I managed to get a couple games in with it before I went to bed. I have to say so far I am NOT impressed, and I think it might be my least favorite ship in the game at this point.
The guns are short barreled 21,0 cm guns, and the shell arc is pretty similar to that of the 15,0 cm guns on the Nurnberg. Per volley I seem to be doing the same amount of damage I was doing in the Nurnberg, and the turret traverse would make some battleships laugh. Weak armor, weak AA, I'm just not seeing a strong point with this ship.

The Tier 6 and Tier 7 ships look very underwhelming to me. I dont think ill be able to go past the Konigsberg even though the Hipper, Roon, and Hindy look pretty good

Enjoying the Tier IV Russian DD (Izya) so far. Finally had two games with the Salem Witch.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Lakedaimon posted:

The Tier 6 and Tier 7 ships look very underwhelming to me. I dont think ill be able to go past the Konigsberg even though the Hipper, Roon, and Hindy look pretty good

Enjoying the Tier IV Russian DD (Izya) so far. Finally had two games with the Salem Witch.

The tier 6 in my experience is a dedicated cruiser killer. I was easily wrecking even mogamis in a straight up brawl, and with a good range I could set BBs on fire with reasonable safety. The armor and AA are truly the only downsides to the Nurnberg.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
What tier do German cruisers get defensive fire aa?

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

deratomicdog posted:

What tier do German cruisers get defensive fire aa?

If I'm not mistaken, the tier 6 ship Nurnberg is the first German cruiser to get defensive fire

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
hey cool, you cant sell a ship without removing any mounted upgrade.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

ReapersTouch posted:

hey cool, you cant sell a ship without removing any mounted upgrade.

Yeah unfortunately you have to either use gold or sell the modules.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I just had to deal with one of those stupid halloween event matches where you have to be on a team with a slightly buffed carrier ("phantom fortress" or whatever) but your team is also 5 ships outnumbered. Surprise surprise the carrier does not make up for the numbers imbalance and you are guaranteed to lose. Thanks Obama wargaming

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Yeah I had two games with the "Salem Witch" earlier today, and either that dude was trying to go easy on the other team or he was bad at botes because the bigger team won easily both times.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The time I had the event, our "Salem Witch" was afk.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
After playing artillery in WoT a while back, I was excited to try carriers in WoWs, so I picked up a Hosho last week. While I'm still pretty bad with my torpedo planes, what's really getting to me is how dreadful my fighters are. If I have them engage a single squadron from a Langley, I usually lose all my fighters while the other squadron loses none. The 6 v 4 is terrible. And once my fighters are gone, my torpedo bombers are defenseless. It only gets worse when I get up against a Bogue and there are two fighter squadrons to maul my one. Does this get any better for Japanese carriers further down the tree?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The Salem Witch thing makes you realize how closer their 5 and 10 are in boats than in tanks. Imagine a tier 10 tank in WoT being in a tier 5 match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches