Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

It's been subbed but I haven't had chance to watch it yet, I think the general consensus was better than the second season but not great. I don't know if it would make any sense without watching season 2 before anyway.

I saw it a few days ago. It was okay; nothing ground-breaking, but a fun watch. The season two characters are barely in it, so you could technically watch it after the first season if you really wanted to. Shimotsuki may not have been as stupid, but she's still unlikable in her limited screen time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pavlov posted:

Thread please recommend me anime with more erect directing. dErecting if you will.

Redline, FLCL, Fujiko Mine, Death Note, the Ghost in the Shell movies, Cowboy Bebop, FMA Brotherhood, Ninja Scroll, Genocyber (first episode moreso than the others), Hellsing Ultimate, Macross Frontier, JoJo, Gundam Unicorn

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Gundam Unicorn

I had to look this up to make sure you weren't trolling me with a show name that dumb. I hope the robots only show themselves to pure maidens.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pavlov posted:

I had to look this up to make sure you weren't trolling me with a show name that dumb. I hope the robots only show themselves to pure maidens.

Drinkfist Paid 10 Dollars because he wanted to talk to me on mumble but I am playing a game of hide go seek on a legendary scale.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

TheEye posted:

I saw it a few days ago. It was okay; nothing ground-breaking, but a fun watch. The season two characters are barely in it, so you could technically watch it after the first season if you really wanted to. Shimotsuki may not have been as stupid, but she's still unlikable in her limited screen time.

horribly so, but there's a hilarious scene where she rips into akane for overthinking the situation

also, ill try and post screens of the backgrounds of the pp movie, cause holy gently caress they are awful

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
You're supposed to screenshot it Plutonis. It doesn't look as funny with the text splayed out like that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pavlov posted:

You haven't seen much Gundam, have you? Hilarious names are kind of a Gundam thing in general. I mean, in the Universal Century series alone, you have people named South Burning, Full Frontal, Bork Cry, Quattro Bajeena, and Jamitov Hymen; a series being named Gundam Unicorn barely registers compared to that poo poo.

e: I should probably warn, Unicorn is not very well written, but the reason to watch it is for the insanely beautiful fights not the plot

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 22, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Nope, not a Gundam watcher. Those names are all pretty fantastic though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Uh, you forgot BRING STABBITY

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
You watch Unicorn for the animation and fights, the plot falls apart completely towards the end and half the plot is built around space nazi apologism.

"now guys i know that zeon is responsible for the deaths of literally half of humanity, nearly all of said deaths being in space colonies, either through colony dropping, nerve gassing entire colonies, and general warfare, and it was established in 0079 that most people living in space hate zeon, and the leaders were unashamed dictators propping up a dead man's ideology to spur the followers into supporting their war machine, but zeon did absolutely nothing wrong and was the light of hope for all people living in space who all completely support them, and they did absolutely nothing wrong in the war other than start it and drop that one colony"

There's a part where the MC is questioned on why Zeon is bad and all he's able to muster is "u-uh, they started the war and dropped the colony" and Unicorn proceeds to treat Zeon as if that was all they ever did wrong.

It also relies on a ridiculous retconned conspiracy, and a "what's in the box" plot where what's in the box is really stupid. The entire plot is also irrelevant because of Gundam F91 and Victory, which already stated that when Zeon finally hosed off they had like 60 or so years of peace before people living in colonies went insane and started making aristocracies and cults their leaders. Unicorn also pushes the Newtype future a lot when F91 and Victory show that Newtypes went nowhere and are barely remembered.

The best way to describe Unicorn would be "delusions of grandeur".

Reds fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 22, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zeon was right, much like Hitler.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Stalin was also right, gently caress yeah authoritarianism.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A Colony Drop definitely would kill more people than WW2 and the Holocaust combined

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think a Colony Drop would be an extinction level event but I don't know nothing about nothin.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

Uh, you forgot BRING STABBITY

I was trying to stick to UC names since Unicorn is a UC show. 00 is like its own loving goldmine of ridiculous names, you've also got Anew Returner, Revive Revival, Sulu Suluzu, Hilling Care, and loving Hallelujah Haptism.

Also, that's a bit of a misrepresentation of how Unicorn treats Zeon. You're not supposed to take the dude saying that stuff at face value; the point of the show is that both sides are lovely in different ways and ending the war in general is more important than deciding which side is better.

Also, I mean, the colony drop basically turned a large chunk of Australia (including the entirety of Sydney) into a loving crater, that's at least 4 million people right there (and probably a lot more in the surrounding area).

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I logged onto my computer for the sole purpose of posting that image. Farewell.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
"Zeon did nothing wrong."

"Gihren."

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
a dump of random screens i took of the psycho pass movie

http://imgur.com/a/KOq9x

it's not all bad, the story is good, and the final fistfight is gorgeously animated and shot. the first half :vomarine:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wow that really does not look very good. No better than TV anime quality.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I am going to assume it was produced exactly like the show was without any kind of budget changes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anime movies based on TV shows tend to not have huge budgets anyway, unless it's like Evangelion or something.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

evangelion, and the kyoani movies

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah its more a case of longer, not bigger when it comes to tv movies, especially when it seems like a natural continuation of production, rather than a separate production (like eoe ended up being)

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I'm worried Gurren Lagann mighta ruined most of anime by finishing with two universe sized mechs, powered by sheer willpower, throwing galaxies at each other and firing big bangs. gently caress me if the second movie doesn't take it up another notch.

Does anything else in a similar vein of KEEP PROGRESSING THROUGH SHEER STUBBORNESS compare?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

It only ruined mecha, no big loss.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bleremiah posted:

I'm worried Gurren Lagann mighta ruined most of anime by finishing with two universe sized mechs, powered by sheer willpower, throwing galaxies at each other and firing big bangs. gently caress me if the second movie doesn't take it up another notch.

Does anything else in a similar vein of KEEP PROGRESSING THROUGH SHEER STUBBORNESS compare?

GoaGaiGar I guess but it's like 49 episodes + OAV and takes a while to get going.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Sakurazuka posted:

GoaGaiGar I guess but it's like 49 episodes + OAV and takes a while to get going.

It gets pretty good but if someone has made a "avoiding poo poo filler" guide that would help a lot. Most of the early episodes are really unnecessary and repetitive.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bleremiah posted:

Diebuster is the proto Lagann but actually better than it by a lot. Also shorter so its easier to watch.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you're watching Diebuster you should watch Gunbuster first though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bleremiah posted:

Oh yeah. The second GL movie redoes a lot of the final fight to include a next level combination. :getin:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think there's much that beats TTGL in terms of scale, but scale isn't necessarily an indicator of quality. As others have said, try the gunbuster+diebuster combo.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

You could try out the various Getter Robo anime, it was a massive influence on TTGL. I'd start out with Neo Getter Robo vs Shin Getter Robo, which is short and introduces pretty much the entire cast, I think it had a recent Bluray release stateside even. After that I'd watch New Getter Robo or Shin Getter Robo: Armageddon, both of which are closer to TTGL's sort of scale.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would actually swap New Getter and Neo vs. Shin in that rec. New Getter is basically the perfect way to get into Getter Robo; it explains pretty much everything you need to know, it's batshit crazy awesome right out the gate, and it's a pretty good segue from TTGL on top of that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Not much beats TTGL in terms of scale, so you should watch K-ON instead, and reflect on how little things can be important to people

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

But wouldn't the people watching K-ON have to stop touching their little things in order to reflect on them?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The little things are cake, and turtles, and Azunyan.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Pavlov posted:

But wouldn't the people watching K-ON have to stop touching their little things in order to reflect on them?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Reflect through action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I sure am glad recommending LoGH is passe and pushing k-on constantly is the new fuckin thing to do.