Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I still think Jon coming back to make DC cry again and immediately vacating his title would be the best move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Le Saboteur posted:

I think no matter what the outcome is after the DC/Jones fight happens DC should retire. He's getting up there in age and if he wins he beat the best guy ever and retires on the amazing win, if he loses there's really no point in him running through the LHW division again to crash against the Jon Jones wall.

that's somewhat true but if Cain fails to beat Werdum in the rematch then there isn't much stopping DC going up to HW and getting more wins up there and trying for that title. Cormier's age is a factor but he also started MMA real late.

The best would of course be that Jones and Daniel both go up to HW at the same time and inevitably have to rematch for that belt, except slightly fatter for the 3rd match. It'd be a great moment in UFC history.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
So ends this footnote in mma history

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Everyone remembers that huge punch but Rumble kicking DC's tooth out in the second is just as memorable to me. It just flies straight up into the air.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think Jon Jones vs DC + Bader at the same time might be close enough to be competitive.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Just in case like most sane people you didn't watch the fan Q&A yesterday, check it out. Some funnny moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GUqTbPaJ24

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

can somebody post the gif please

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

can somebody post the gif please

https://streamable.com/mn37

I am so glad Lawler and Condit are fighting.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Metal as gently caress.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
As much of a Jones fan as I am, I can't deny that Bader beating beating him in a title match would be the ultimate gently caress you to everyone and would make me laugh. It's obviously not going to happen but would be hilarious nonetheless

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

In the unlikely event that cocaine was to Jones as spinach is to Popeye, and even more unlikely event that Jones is now actually clean following his several issues with the law, perhaps he will be diminished enough that a Bader more committed to his morally offensive assault of grindy wrestling could in fact beat him.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
We already saw that fight and absolutely nothing would be different.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Le Saboteur posted:

I think no matter what the outcome is after the DC/Jones fight happens DC should retire. He's getting up there in age and if he wins he beat the best guy ever and retires on the amazing win, if he loses there's really no point in him running through the LHW division again to crash against the Jon Jones wall.

:agreed: dc should lose out on millions of dollars to protect his legacy as The Boy Who Cried

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Make Jones fight Rumble or rematch Alex. I don't see the point of (anyone fighting) Bader.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

As much of a Jones fan as I am, I can't deny that Bader beating beating him in a title match would be the ultimate gently caress you to everyone and would make me laugh. It's obviously not going to happen but would be hilarious nonetheless

You keep saying this but I don't think anyone cares enough about ryan bader to get mad about it

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

This fight was so good

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if dc had just learned to move to the side slightly during jones' hiatus i'd be extremely amped about the second match. as it stands though i think the two fights will look almost identical if played simultaneously next to each other

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

henkman posted:

You keep saying this but I don't think anyone cares enough about ryan bader to get mad about it

Maybe not. No one I've ever talked to in real life has ever espoused the type of anti-Bader rhetoric I've seen online, so it's probably just Internet trolls.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Scary thing is that all the talk about Jones when the cocaine stuff broke was that he was spending most of his time before fights loving around on his wife, partying and generally not giving a poo poo until about a 3 or 4 weeks prior. It's a pretty big loving IF but if he has his poo poo straight and is actually training like a pro athlete this time around how much loving better is he going to be?

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

Maybe not. No one I've ever talked to in real life has ever espoused the type of anti-Bader rhetoric I've seen online, so it's probably just Internet trolls.

I've never really understood it, he's always been a good wrestler with a big right hand it just seems that he's actually getting better instead of rapidly declining like others in the division. I kind of like Bader, i know his promos atm are kind of stilted but he's at least trying to put himself out there a little bit.

#teambader

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm honestly kind of at a loss for why or how anyone could possibly care enough about Ryan Bader to hate him.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

I don't know, I think being tito's only win from 2006-2012 is pretty funny. He's pretty much a gatekeeper, he does all right against not so great competition and then looks incompetent against the better fighters (and tito) at 205

I don't hate bader, but I also can't remember anything about any of his fights except the ones he loses

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
ryan bader is funny because he's clearly the 5th best fighter in the division but he's so far behind the four in front that every time i think about it i see a mule and a carrot on a stick

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

henkman posted:

I don't hate bader, but I also can't remember anything about any of his fights except the ones he loses

the only things i remember about bader: losing to tito, getting crushed by machida.

i seriously forgot he'd even fought jon jones. i don't remember the glover fight at all. he's so grey it's actually kind of amazing.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

henkman posted:

I don't know, I think being tito's only win from 2006-2012 is pretty funny. He's pretty much a gatekeeper, he does all right against not so great competition and then looks incompetent against the better fighters (and tito) at 205

I'm pretty sure a 32 yr old with a 20-4 record at lhw isn't a gatekeeper.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Seltzer posted:

he absolutely is

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Seltzer posted:

How does that prevent him from being a gatekeeper

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
Maybe he's just a high level gatekeeper. There's nothing wrong with that, takes a lot to get to that point.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I eagerly await Jon Jones to take his rightful place atop garbage mountain.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
You know who else looks lovely and loses badly sometimes is Rumble and Gus.

All fighters bad (except Bones)

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Don't hate the Bader, hate the 'caine

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Jones' instagram is just videos of him dancing around his house right now

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Decades posted:

i've said it before and i'll reiterate it now because i get the feeling people are still calling dc the paper champ and jones unbeatable unironically: dc is as much a legitimate champion as jon jones ever was in the post gus / dc world.

jon jones had the poo poo beaten out of him by alexander gustaffson and won by the thinnest of margins. dc has legitimately beaten two of the relevant four fighters in the division, same as jones. because lhw is a garbage fire, none of the fighters are 'complete' except arguably for jon and gus, so it is a game of scissors paper rock with how their styles match up and any one of those four could be legitimate champions.

reminder: the first time jon jones fought a well rounded fighter he ended up in the trauma ward.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

I'm honestly kind of at a loss for why or how anyone could possibly care enough about Ryan Bader to hate him.
Bader has had some miserable performances so it's easy to not be a fan of watching him fight, but as far as hating him I think this Rumble fight is the first one that he hasn't been eager to take. Otherwise I don't think he ever had an issue fighting Nog/Jones/Rampage/Machida/Glover/DC before Jones got stripped/Davis/Shad/etc.

I'm just making a point that Bader does what you're supposed to at his level, take tough fights over and over again, so I dunno how many people really hate him. In fact it's just something a poster keeps bringing up every few weeks to get us talking about Bader for a page or two before we go back to not giving a poo poo.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bader has had some very bad fights and hasn't had any winning fights that were particularly noteworthy or fun to watch since when he probably broke a Light Heavyweight UFC Sumbission Record (TM) against the Janitor, but I cannot think of a single thing he has done as a personal human being to make me feel anything about him one way or the other. He is in a division where we are trying to decide if we'd rather see the serial wife beater knock out the serial philanderer and drug addict or if it should he the Swedish street gang guy who does it. Why are we hating Ryan Bader?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Decades posted:

You know who else looks lovely and loses badly sometimes is Rumble and Gus.

And they'd both most likely beat Bader, which is the point

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

Why are we hating Ryan Bader?

nobody is. everybody's making fun of him because he is unremakable as a person and a fighter yet he's forced into relevance because his division is a pile of poo poo. he's a curiosity.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Marching Powder posted:

jon jones had the poo poo beaten out of him by alexander gustaffson and won by the thinnest of margins. dc has legitimately beaten two of the relevant four fighters in the division, same as jones. because lhw is a garbage fire, none of the fighters are 'complete' except arguably for jon and gus, so it is a game of scissors paper rock with how their styles match up and any one of those four could be legitimate champions.

Its almost as if they all have unique strengths and flaws and the real garbage fire is in your mind

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Decades posted:

Its almost as if they all have unique strengths and flaws and the real garbage fire is in your mind

this does not make sense as a response to what you quoted or even as an isolated statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

henkman posted:

And they'd both most likely beat Bader, which is the point

I'm trying to avoid digging deep into mmath here but the third and fourth guys likely beating the fifth guy doesn't particularly support the argument that it's a huge drop off garbage fire after the fourth spot

• Locked thread