Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Internet Webguy posted:

He knows that quitting would feed into the "Dems running scared" narrative so he would rather make a statement saying "We know this is bullshit but instead of quitting were just going to watch them shoot themselves in the foot over and over again while trying not to laugh."

I figure that they really want to quit the committee but it's too valuable to stay on. Majority of their hits yesterday came from knowing the full transcripts which the GOP refused to release. They'd lose too much access to that kind of stuff.

Additionally it provided Clinton with much needed breaks yesterday to have Democratic questioners. Imagine if it had been 100% GOP questioners yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

evilweasel posted:

None because it wouldn't blow up his speakership.

Are you telling me that if a democrati-backed Paul Ryan bid wouldn't end the HFC support?

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

OAquinas posted:

Dammit. I was 16 and foolish. :argh:

Don't be ashamed, I once thought Jeff Dunham was funny and Fred Durst was a master lyricist. :negative:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Are you telling me that if a democrati-backed Paul Ryan bid wouldn't end the HFC support?

Yes. Even the HFC can tell the difference between Democrats providing the necessary votes for Ryan to become speaker and Democrats voting for him when he already has 218 Republican votes. It is a stupid idea.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Maybe not Jeb!:

Tick, tock....

And now he's going to have a pow-wow with his donors and also his father and brother.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Republicans posted:

Haha, you liked Dana Carvey stand-up.

Fun fact: George Pataki (Somehow still running for President) was featured in an episode of The Dana Carvey Show.

Even in office, he couldn't get on successful shows.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

This is not the only Newt-holding-a-snake photo.

This is my favorite.

Two beings with a profound understanding of one another

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Magugu posted:

Don't be ashamed, I once thought Jeff Dunham was funny and Fred Durst was a master lyricist. :negative:

What...? How? I mean even at 15 I thought Dunham had maybe one mildly amusing catchphrase that was run into the the ground and Limp Bizkit was fun to mosh to while drunk but not even that special.

Still, I need no excuse to drunkenly singing along to break stuff if I have frustations to vent. That song is cathartic even now I'm closer to 30 than 20.

E:

Okay, I was legit impressed by that act where Dunham and Peanut talk through each other, but that's the only props I'll give him.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Magugu posted:

:stare:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mitt Romney posted:

I figure that they really want to quit the committee but it's too valuable to stay on. Majority of their hits yesterday came from knowing the full transcripts which the GOP refused to release. They'd lose too much access to that kind of stuff.

Additionally it provided Clinton with much needed breaks yesterday to have Democratic questioners. Imagine if it had been 100% GOP questioners yesterday.

Not to mention questions actually concerning the topic of diplomatic security. Was it Duckworth who asked about the approved requests for enhancements, which Hillary spent a couple minutes rattling off? It was a woman but I don't know who else was on the panel other than Cummings, Smith, Duckworth, and a bunch of GOP weasels.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Magugu posted:

The lyricist behind "Douchebag" truly is one of the master songwriters of our era.

The Red Hatted One posted:

Douche bag
I'm a gently caress you up
gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you up
Douche bag
I'm a gently caress you up
gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you up
Douche bag

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Couple pages back, but it a relevant topic:

MariusLecter posted:

So with an Army man dead in a hostage rescue mission in Iraq, will this lead to more Benghazi style select committees?
Republicans don't actually care about what happens in other countries, just if they can attack Democrats over it. So no, they won't do any committees, especially after how bad the last one went.

But on the topic of the rescue itself, even ISIL can't spin this as anything other than a defeat for them:

quote:

ISIS dismissed as a failure the U.S. and Kurdish raid that rescued dozens of hostages who officials said were about to be slaughtered by the militant group in northeastern Iraq. The group's statement also called it a cowardly operation.
--
American military officials said they responded to a request from the Kurdish regional government in Iraq, which had learned that the hostages faced "imminent mass execution," perhaps within hours.

"Mass graves were already dug," according to a senior U.S. military official with direct knowledge of the raid.

ISIS said that three of its militants died during the raid, according to a translation of the statement by security firm and NBC News intelligence consultant Flashpoint.

According to the Pentagon, ISIS fighters were killed in the overnight raid, and five others were handed over to Kurdish authorities.

The commandos rounded up 75 hostages, a group that included more than 20 members of the Iraqi security forces. Fifty of the hostages were civilians and another five were members of ISIS who were being held prisoner by their colleagues, a senior defense official told NBC News.

"We commend and congratulate the brave individuals who participated in this successful operation that saved many lives, despite the casualty," Gen. Lloyd Austin, commander of U.S. Central Command, said in a statement.
70 hostages rescued (the mass grave was literally already dug for their bodies), at least 3 ISIL fighters dead, 5 ISIL prisoners for the Kurds, and only 1 US casualty from the operation. It's sad that the guy got killed, but there's no question ISIL would have loving murdered those 70 people without US/Kurdish rescue.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 23, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So Congressman Mike Pompeo said there were 600 requests for security from Ambassador Stevens. This number sounds like complete horseshit. Is there any proof one way or the other?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Doctor Butts posted:

So Congressman Mike Pompeo said there were 600 requests for security from Ambassador Stevens. This number sounds like complete horseshit. Is there any proof one way or the other?
Also I'd like to note that Secretary Clinton does not have special State Department security forces at her beck and call, and so even if Ambassador Stevens requested more security it would have gone through someone else.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

fade5 posted:

Couple pages back, but it a relevant topic:

Republicans don't actually care about what happens in other countries, just if they can attack Democrats over it. So no, they won't do any committees, especially after how hard the last one went.

But on that topic of that rescue itself, even ISIL can't spin this as anything other than a defeat for them:

70 hostages rescued (and the mass grave was literally already dug for their bodies), at least 3 ISIL fighters dead, 5 ISIL prisoners for the Kurds, and only 1 US casualty from the operation. It's sad that the guy got killed, but there's no question ISIL would have loving murdered those 70 people without US/Kurdish rescue.

What's the story on some of those hostages being ISIS people accused of being spies?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Doctor Butts posted:

He arrived in Libya in May, 2012 and the attack was on September 11, 2012, so that would mean he sent somewhere around four or five requests for security every day.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

He probably ctrl+f'd "security" on a giant text log of the emails and used the total number count

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

Here he is explaining "evictionism" at the Ron Paul 2012 rally at the 2012 RNC. It... did not go well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z5NehyUtyo&t=300s

:shepicide:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The only way I could see that being possible is if there was some kind of system for scheduling events and there was a "security requested" box ticked on every one. There were indeed DSS agents at the consulate that day so security was provided.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

MariusLecter posted:

What's the story on some of those hostages being ISIS people accused of being spies?
Exactly what it sounds like, they're (at least nominally) ISIL members who ISIL accused of being "double agents" aka posing as ISIL members.

They might be local anti-ISIL guerrilla forces and/or secretly affiliated with the Kurdish Peshmerga forces, Iraqi Security Forces, Assyrian Christian forces, or any other anti-ISIL group.

Or they might be regular civilians jailed by ISIL for whatever reason, or even actual ISIL fighters jailed by some paranoid higher-up in ISIL's organization.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

fade5 posted:

Exactly what it sounds like, they're (at least nominally) ISIL members who ISIL accused of being "double agents" aka posing as ISIL members.

They might be local anti-ISIL guerrilla forces and/or secretly affiliated with the Kurdish Peshmerga forces, Iraqi Security Forces, Assyrian Christian forces, or any other anti-ISIL group.

Or they might be regular civilians jailed by ISIL for whatever reason, or even actual ISIL fighters jailed by some paranoid higher-up in ISIL's organization.

And the chances of that becoming a talking point?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Doctor Butts posted:

600 e-mails along the lines of:

"Can your team put together a list of security requests?"

"Sure."

"Here you go."

"Can we hold a call to talk about this?"

"Sure. What time?"

"Get in touch with my assistant. She'll let you know."

"Hey I need to set up an appointment to talk to Hillary about the proposal for improved security in Libya. When can we get a meeting?"

"How's next Thursday sound?"

"Sorry, busy then."

"Well, there's another spot open week after next on Friday."

"That'll work."

"Oh hey, my assistant Secretary of State will be sitting in on the call as well. Can you forward him what you sent me?"

"Sure."

"Hillary asked me to forward along this before the call about increased security measures in Syria."

etc. etc.

That's about a dozen "requests" right there, need mind the additional "requests" where Stevens asks his staff to put the figures together so he can present them, and so on.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Also I'd like to note that Secretary Clinton does not have special State Department security forces at her beck and call, and so even if Ambassador Stevens requested more security it would have gone through someone else.

And the two security personnel who died were both CIA operators so what was really going on is probably messier than it looks at first glance. I haven't seen anything very forthcoming about how many CIA were there compared to everyone else but I wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly CIA 'security' plus enough State department personnel to make it look less suspicious while the real security was crap.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

MariusLecter posted:

And the chances of that becoming a talking point?
Negative infinity.

This is like a textbook action movie story: "We went in with the Kurds and hosed ISIL's poo poo up, saved a bunch of hostages in a daring rescue at the last second, and got out successfully with only one casualty, may he rest in peace."

America loving loves stories like that, and we generally think of the Kurds as "the good guys" so this is about as close to a clear-cut "good guys vs bad guys" story as you can get from the Middle East.

I mean if the Republicans want to attack Obama over a successful joint US-Peshmerga raid when ISIL had literally already dug the loving mass grave for the hostages then they can go ahead and try. Hell, it would backfire so hard I'd almost be happy if they'd do so, and make themselves look even dumber than the Benghazi stuff.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 23, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

hobbesmaster posted:

The only way I could see that being possible is if there was some kind of system for scheduling events and there was a "security requested" box ticked on every one. There were indeed DSS agents at the consulate that day so security was provided.

That seems completely plausible. An "I'm going to meet this person across town and need a security detail" kind of request.

Or, just throwing this out there, Rep. Pompeo is full of poo poo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

fade5 posted:

Negative infinity.

This is like a textbook action movie story: "We went in with the Kurds and hosed ISIL's poo poo up, saved a bunch of hostages in a daring rescue at the last second, and got out successfully with only one casualty, may he rest in peace."

America loving loves stories like that, and we generally think of the Kurds as "the good guys" so this is about as close to a clear-cut "good guys vs bad guys" story as you can get from the Middle East.

I mean if the Republicans want to attack Obama over a successful joint US-Peshmerga raid when ISIL had literally already dug the loving mass grave for the hostages then they can go ahead and try. Hell, it would backfire so hard I'd almost be happy if they'd do so, and make themselves look even dumber than the Benghazi stuff.

Good to know. :)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Slate makes a stab at explaining why Trump isn't right-wing enough to beat Carson in Iowa.

quote:

Carson said that the Affordable Care Act—designed to increase health coverage for millions of uninsured Americans—was the “worst thing that has happened in this country since slavery...”

What do Iowa Republicans think? Eighty-one percent say this makes him a “mostly” or “very” attractive candidate.

Last month, Carson voiced opposition to a hypothetical Muslim president... Seventy-seven percent say this makes him a “mostly” or “very” attractive candidate.

Two weeks ago, Carson said that guns—in the hands of German Jews—could have slowed Adolf Hitler and even stopped the Holocaust....

A whopping 77 percent say that Carson’s statement makes him “very” or “mostly” attractive.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought this was an interesting article in VOX. It's critical of right wing fund raising in general and the Carson campaign in particular.

quote:

Even Ben Carson's presidential campaign has something of this air about it. Carson is currently in second place in national polls and leading in Iowa. His campaign is raising tons of money from small donors and is spending most of that money on fundraising. People are giving Carson money so that he'll have the money to ask more people for money. It's a form of pyramid scheme. There's no real field operation, policy staff, or any other manifestation of the kind of campaign apparatus that could plausibly result in victory.

But in both cases there is the appearance of a growing movement, as manifested in an ever-increasing din of fundraising solicitations, though there's little in the way of actual movement building or policy progress. Yet it's all perfectly legal, and when the groups of the day end up collapsing, the consulting operations behind them can always find new ones.

This is in contrast to the campaign of Trump where there have been several stories this past month about his attempts to actually build a ground force in primary states, hiring local campaign managers in places like Texas. Doesn't mean that Trump is going to win but, there is a clear distinction between his campaign and the bullshit book selling tour that is Carson's campaign.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Joementum posted:

That seems completely plausible. An "I'm going to meet this person across town and need a security detail" kind of request.

Or, just throwing this out there, Rep. Pompeo is full of poo poo.

That is the Honourable Representative from the State of Kansas, sir!

He is full of manure.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
fun fact:

Gowdy's full name is Harold Watson Gowdy III.

Yet he goes by Trey.

There's clearly a plot by illegal immigrants to infiltrate the highest branches of government to sabotage the Benghazi investigation to let Hillary off the hook in order to sabotage Trump's campaign once he secures the Republican nomination because of fears over his plusgood immigration policy, which will totally for real work, you guys, and is super and luxurious, probably.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

:barf:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

fun fact:

Yet he goes by Trey.

A couple of weeks ago it looked like we were going to have a Speaker of the House named Kevin and a Majority Leader named Trey. :negative:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Obama compares Republicans to Grumpy Cat, does face, probably doesn't mean it in the mentally challenged way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The cia as using an embassy as Cover to spy??? That's ridiculous.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

fade5 posted:

Negative infinity.

While no one wants soldiers to die, "died saving 70 hostages staring down their own mass grave" is like the platonic ideal of a heroic sacrifice.

It's the type of thing Americans want to think of their troops doing when they go to war.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

fun fact:

Yet he goes by Trey.

There's clearly a plot by illegal immigrants to infiltrate the highest branches of government to sabotage the Benghazi investigation to let Hillary off the hook in order to sabotage Trump's campaign once he secures the Republican nomination because of fears over his plusgood immigration policy, which will totally for real work, you guys, and is super and luxurious, probably.

There's just something weird about these guys who run for major political office with the nicknames they had when they were kids. I had a nickname as a kid. We all did. I still have some old friends who call me by it. But somehow no one had to tell me to use my actual name once I started doing professional, adult poo poo.

Maybe this is some kind of cultural thing? If I had tried to write my nickname on a school paper I would have gotten an F out of principle. Is it the teachers' fault for letting these guys get away with writing "Trey", or "Jeb", or "Tex" or whatever? Does the South just embrace the gently caress out of childish nicknames and that's the problem?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

Does the South just embrace the gently caress out of childish nicknames and that's the problem?

Yes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hodgepodge posted:

While no one wants soldiers to die, "died saving 70 hostages staring down their own mass grave" is like the platonic ideal of a heroic sacrifice.

It's the type of thing Americans want to think of their troops doing when they go to war.

On the Five today Gutfeld said that he died a true hero doing the noblest bit of "God's work"... "killing radical Islamists."

Greg Gutfeld not only can but revels in turning a heroic death into a symbol of hate.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

STAC Goat posted:

On the Five today Gutfeld said that he died a true hero doing the noblest bit of "God's work"... "killing radical Islamists."

Greg Gutfeld not only can but revels in turning a heroic death into a symbol of hate.

Khorne demands no less from his servants, but will not punish America for the fact that the hostages were not sacrificed to him. He cares not from who the blood flows, and prefers it be spilt in the heat of battle. Skulls for the throne of skulls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

And the rebels died gloriously in service to the same God, so efficient!

• Locked thread