Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

RottenK posted:

does it still have defenders on the official forums or did they finally gave up

you better believe it still has heck of defenders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Suitaru posted:

you better believe it still has heck of defenders

No matter how bad Wildstar's hardcore fans might be, they'll never be as loving bad as FFXIV 1.0 defenders. 1.0 is still far and away the worst MMO and game I've ever played and I played FFXI.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Vanderdeath posted:

No matter how bad Wildstar's hardcore fans might be, they'll never be as loving bad as FFXIV 1.0 defenders. 1.0 is still far and away the worst MMO and game I've ever played and I played FFXI.

Every now and then I see screenshots and videos and I can't believe people long for a return to that heaping pile of poo poo.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

RottenK posted:

Steven Universe is manchild-pandering trash and you are a moron for liking it.

then what are mmos?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

Wildstar is an OK game, and I enjoy it's mechanics than I do WoW. It sure as hell isn't the second coming however and the company that makes it is ultimately going to be it's downfall.

But it's still objectively better than most of the early MMO's I played and worshiped (Think UO/AC), and I'd say it's about on par with all other contemporary MMO's in quality that aren't WoW/FF14.

Free to play seems fairly popular and I'd be interested to see how things shake out. I honestly hope they succeed provided they are clever enough to modify their way of doing things (Which seems to be happening, albeit at a glacial pace). I'm not invested in this company failing like some goons are. I hope star citizen works out too, though I'm far from crazy enough to throw money at people who don't even have a base functional game available.

Also Cyster: I'm the goon that IM'd your wildstarguy a few days ago saying "Goons don't play this game." :v:

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhymenoserous posted:

Wildstar is an OK game, and I enjoy it's mechanics than I do WoW. It sure as hell isn't the second coming however and the company that makes it is ultimately going to be it's downfall.

But it's still objectively better than most of the early MMO's I played and worshiped (Think UO/AC), and I'd say it's about on par with all other contemporary MMO's in quality that aren't WoW/FF14.

Free to play seems fairly popular and I'd be interested to see how things shake out. I honestly hope they succeed provided they are clever enough to modify their way of doing things (Which seems to be happening, albeit at a glacial pace). I'm not invested in this company failing like some goons are. I hope star citizen works out too, though I'm far from crazy enough to throw money at people who don't even have a base functional game available.

Also Cyster: I'm the goon that IM'd your wildstarguy a few days ago saying "Goons don't play this game." :v:

Lol you also like the new Battlefront. Not a surprise you also enjoy Wildstar hahaha haha

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'm not even buying the new battlefront till it goes on sale sometime in the far future, nor have I ever played it so uh, ok I guess.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snatch Duster posted:

Lol you also like the new Battlefront. Not a surprise you also enjoy Wildstar hahaha haha

Yeah you tell him. How dare that guy like things you don't like?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Yeah you tell him. How dare that guy like things you don't like?

I don't even like it, this is what's weird. There is another Rhymenoserous that posts here though.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhymenoserous posted:

I don't even like it, this is what's weird. There is another Rhymenoserous that posts here though.

I was going off the avatar. Don't know if it is a common thing or not. But liking bad things is always good to make fun of.

Like making fun of people that are fans of the Jags or Vikings.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

RottenK posted:

does it still have defenders on the official forums or did they finally gave up

The last one I saw was of a goon Dragoon showing off his broken min/max stats as evidence as to why 1.0 was god's gift to man. Ignoring the hundreds of boring man hours to get there and the lack of content to actually take advantage of.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

I was going off the avatar. Don't know if it is a common thing or not. But liking bad things is always good to make fun of.

Like making fun of people that are fans of the Jags or Vikings.

Anyone who posts in the eve thread gets their avatars changed randomly by some goon we've nicknamed Scrooge McDuck because he's shelled out something on the order of 500+ usd on av's for eve goons.

I will accept criticism for liking eve though. I have since come to my senses.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Heh, looks like more goons are playing Wildstar than Skyforge.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Heh, looks like more goons are playing Wildstar than Skyforge.

Skyforge sounds awful. I mean depending on your tastes Wildstar at least has a charming style to it.

But then I'm sick of "Realistic/Generic" poo poo, and find stylized and cartoony to be more fun these days.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Did they include an option to skip the long Taxi rides, or am I misremembering the F2P hype?

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Did they include an option to skip the long Taxi rides, or am I misremembering the F2P hype?

It's instant now.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Loose Ifer posted:

It's instant now.

I had to suffer through my taxi rides. Luckily if I pull out my headset all other sound except Wildstar goes to my speakers so I can just not have it play.

You can fast travel now but it's loving expensive compared to the taxis. How do you make them instant beyond fast traveling from the world map?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John Dyne posted:

I had to suffer through my taxi rides. Luckily if I pull out my headset all other sound except Wildstar goes to my speakers so I can just not have it play.

You can fast travel now but it's loving expensive compared to the taxis. How do you make them instant beyond fast traveling from the world map?

Bullet in gun, gun in mouth, bullet in brain. That's how.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

John Dyne posted:

Alt-F4

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Hah. Yeah, I've had some goons messaging me when I'm on my official character. It's good to see you guys in there when you pop up.

We've had some bumps with Shade's Eve and the Hoverboard event, but both seem to be pretty popular and positive, which is good news. Hopefully we can keep making more events like 'em moving forward.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cyster posted:

Hah. Yeah, I've had some goons messaging me when I'm on my official character. It's good to see you guys in there when you pop up.

We've had some bumps with Shade's Eve and the Hoverboard event, but both seem to be pretty popular and positive, which is good news. Hopefully we can keep making more events like 'em moving forward.

All you need to make this game successful is strike the word hardcore from the design document.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Skyforge is alright, they made some really bad decisions like not releasing everything they had in Russia right away, not changing blatantly pay to win events from the Russian version like they promised to right away and released some costumes for three to five times the fake cash it costs in Russia because "people in the west make more money". They are fixing some of this but that still doesn't change the fact that end game is standing around shouting for a group that may very well disband within five minutes and that it's grindy as gently caress. Still beats Vindictus though.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I haven't played Vindictus but it seems to actually allow you to play whatever the gently caress class you actually want to play right off the bat without grinding for weeks to unlock it so it actually seems better based on that alone.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Cyster posted:

you should tell them all to gently caress off honestly...

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah but you have to grind that up and eventually gear up to do anything interesting instead of allowing you to switch when you want with one click and also it's Nexon and everything is expensive as gently caress, just for one character and probably a rental too. Skyforge wins for not having rentals at all, at least in my opinion.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

make more hoverboard race courses. do one for every zone and implement leaderboards and mario kart powerups for pvp racing.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Cyster posted:

I played the game for a bit at launch but left before the free month ended, the game is flawed but it not as bad as goons made it out to be. you are brave coming in here into the lion's den.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I'm going to make an awful ranty post about MMOs so scroll past unless you wish to suffer. I was thinking of making a thread of my own for this but maybe it's awful enough to stay in this thread

What is wrong with MMORPGs?

90% of MMORPGs that come out are still more or less the same garbage that came out 10 years ago. like every mmorpg has these features that nobody outside the very "hardcore" mmo market likes

1) awful, pointless leveling that is neither interesting nor difficult. level 20 zone is more or less identical to a level 50 zone, except the number on the enemy changes. level numbering is pretty pointless. this isn't like 2000 anymore where you could only get to a high level if you were good at the game or had a fuckton of time. it's 2015 and everyone can just leave a dog on their keyboard and come back to a level 50 character. leveling is pointless since you're killing level 20 bears at level 20 and level 40 bears at level 40. it doesn't feel like you're actually getting stronger. i can't say this would work for every game but they should just get rid of the level numbers entirely, and let your character's strength speak for itself. early on you can only kill dogs, and later you can kill bears, and once you're really strong you can kill a dragon or something. neither you or the enemy would have a level; you'd just have to use your brain to figure out whether you were strong enough. but i guess people wouldn't like that and it's hard to sell expansions with that system so gently caress it, bring on the level 100 bears

2) lock on targeting in the year of our lord 2015. because aiming is too hard and exciting

3) awful, samey quest design. no one has really tried anything new ever since everquest or something decided that all quests should be "Bring x of y" or "Kill z" or "Talk to guy". i don't really understand why no one wants to make anything more interesting. i guess it's either that the devs don't know how, but i also have some friends who think that kind of quest design is completely a-ok (because they're loving stupid)

4) the game world doesn't feel like a real place because some areas are arbitrarily level 20 zones and others are level 50 zones. this is also a horrible allocation of resources since players just end up running through most of the painstakingly crafted game world because of the nature of the leveling system. imagine if they spent like, a lot of time making the game good instead of creating 8 different versions of level 15 leveling areas that you don't even want to spend any time in because you want to be in the level 20 zone as soon as possible

5) pointlessly huge game worlds. for some reason every mmo area has to be loving gigantic to the point that you'll usually want to leave your character on auto-walk for huge stretches of time and just browse stormfront.org. don't worry, you'll get a lovely mount at level 30, cutting your stormfronting down by 35%

6) character movement, animation, spells etc. are all pretty awful in every mmorpg except maybe black desert and tera. but i haven't played either of those games because one of them isn't out yet and the other is an mmorpg. actually, gameplay in mmorpgs is pretty bad in general. it's weird that no one has noticed that every other genre has improved and iterated like crazy over the last 10 years, but mmorpgs are still more or less the same as 10 years ago. it can't be that the technology isn't there yet, because we have games like Planetside 2 that play pretty well despite the huge player count and the huge world. besides, most mmorpgs don't actually make use of the "mmo" aspect at all. you'll just see some loving guy running through the same zones as you, occasionally stealing a quest objective from you. makes it even more funny how dark souls managed to get the whole "watch other morons gently caress up" feature into the game without being a lovely mmorpg. anyway, i guess the average mmorpg player associates mmorpgs with the bad mmo combat now. i read about some guy who started playing black desert and got mad because he couldn't level any character past 17 because the game was too hard (as in, you couldn't just mash out your rotation while standing still, and you had to actually play the game)

last but not least

7) awful communities that eat this poo poo up game after game. mmorpgs will never be good until all these people move to league of legends

it's really frustrating because i like RPGs, and i love multiplayer games and i love open worlds. i can have a good multiplayer rpg, or i can have a good open world rpg, but i can't have all 3 because then it's a loving lovely mmorpg and it's no longer playable by anyone except the mentally ill. but anyway, i'm guessing mmorpgs are bad because various executives and devs don't like taking risks and will rather just copy something that worked really well 10 years ago, and also because people will play also play these games at least for a while

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Cyster posted:

I wouldn't mind playing more but I prefer using the mouselook beta option. Unfortunately doing that for some reason prevents me from interacting with anything and none of the control mods have been updated yet. It's free at least, so I can just wait until it's resolved.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Minorkos posted:

I'm going to make an awful ranty post about MMOs so scroll past unless you wish to suffer. I was thinking of making a thread of my own for this but maybe it's awful enough to stay in this thread

What is wrong with MMORPGs?

90% of MMORPGs that come out are still more or less the same garbage that came out 10 years ago. like every mmorpg has these features that nobody outside the very "hardcore" mmo market likes

1) awful, pointless leveling that is neither interesting nor difficult. level 20 zone is more or less identical to a level 50 zone, except the number on the enemy changes. level numbering is pretty pointless. this isn't like 2000 anymore where you could only get to a high level if you were good at the game or had a fuckton of time. it's 2015 and everyone can just leave a dog on their keyboard and come back to a level 50 character. leveling is pointless since you're killing level 20 bears at level 20 and level 40 bears at level 40. it doesn't feel like you're actually getting stronger. i can't say this would work for every game but they should just get rid of the level numbers entirely, and let your character's strength speak for itself. early on you can only kill dogs, and later you can kill bears, and once you're really strong you can kill a dragon or something. neither you or the enemy would have a level; you'd just have to use your brain to figure out whether you were strong enough. but i guess people wouldn't like that and it's hard to sell expansions with that system so gently caress it, bring on the level 100 bears

2) lock on targeting in the year of our lord 2015. because aiming is too hard and exciting

3) awful, samey quest design. no one has really tried anything new ever since everquest or something decided that all quests should be "Bring x of y" or "Kill z" or "Talk to guy". i don't really understand why no one wants to make anything more interesting. i guess it's either that the devs don't know how, but i also have some friends who think that kind of quest design is completely a-ok (because they're loving stupid)

4) the game world doesn't feel like a real place because some areas are arbitrarily level 20 zones and others are level 50 zones. this is also a horrible allocation of resources since players just end up running through most of the painstakingly crafted game world because of the nature of the leveling system. imagine if they spent like, a lot of time making the game good instead of creating 8 different versions of level 15 leveling areas that you don't even want to spend any time in because you want to be in the level 20 zone as soon as possible

5) pointlessly huge game worlds. for some reason every mmo area has to be loving gigantic to the point that you'll usually want to leave your character on auto-walk for huge stretches of time and just browse stormfront.org. don't worry, you'll get a lovely mount at level 30, cutting your stormfronting down by 35%

6) character movement, animation, spells etc. are all pretty awful in every mmorpg except maybe black desert and tera. but i haven't played either of those games because one of them isn't out yet and the other is an mmorpg. actually, gameplay in mmorpgs is pretty bad in general. it's weird that no one has noticed that every other genre has improved and iterated like crazy over the last 10 years, but mmorpgs are still more or less the same as 10 years ago. it can't be that the technology isn't there yet, because we have games like Planetside 2 that play pretty well despite the huge player count and the huge world. besides, most mmorpgs don't actually make use of the "mmo" aspect at all. you'll just see some loving guy running through the same zones as you, occasionally stealing a quest objective from you. makes it even more funny how dark souls managed to get the whole "watch other morons gently caress up" feature into the game without being a lovely mmorpg. anyway, i guess the average mmorpg player associates mmorpgs with the bad mmo combat now. i read about some guy who started playing black desert and got mad because he couldn't level any character past 17 because the game was too hard (as in, you couldn't just mash out your rotation while standing still, and you had to actually play the game)

last but not least

7) awful communities that eat this poo poo up game after game. mmorpgs will never be good until all these people move to league of legends

it's really frustrating because i like RPGs, and i love multiplayer games and i love open worlds. i can have a good multiplayer rpg, or i can have a good open world rpg, but i can't have all 3 because then it's a loving lovely mmorpg and it's no longer playable by anyone except the mentally ill. but anyway, i'm guessing mmorpgs are bad because various executives and devs don't like taking risks and will rather just copy something that worked really well 10 years ago, and also because people will play also play these games at least for a while

In general I think that you're right, most MMOs are a spin off of WoW's success. I can only think of one right now that is somewhat different and that's GW2. One part of me feels that the issue with taking big risks is that MMOs in the sense of WoW like MMORPGs, at least to my knowledge, aren't very profitable for the work they require to develop and maintain. Even Blizzard has said that the profit is in games like Hearthstone and other smaller games that can still make big $$. I'm not sure how sound this argument is but there's that.

I also love MMORPGs and wish a half decent one would come out that didn't have game-breaking flaws. Some flaws are alright, but it seems most of the time they run the game down in some way or another. All of this happens while management seemingly pisses off the userbase (AA).

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

dominoeffect posted:

In general I think that you're right, most MMOs are a spin off of WoW's success. I can only think of one right now that is somewhat different and that's GW2. One part of me feels that the issue with taking big risks is that MMOs in the sense of WoW like MMORPGs, at least to my knowledge, aren't very profitable for the work they require to develop and maintain. Even Blizzard has said that the profit is in games like Hearthstone and other smaller games that can still make big $$. I'm not sure how sound this argument is but there's that.

I also love MMORPGs and wish a half decent one would come out that didn't have game-breaking flaws. Some flaws are alright, but it seems most of the time they run the game down in some way or another. All of this happens while management seemingly pisses off the userbase (AA).

i personally wouldn't have quoted the whole thing but at least now i can't go back and edit my autistic rage out in shame

anyway if an mmorpg that played like a real game actually came out some day, they wouldn't call it an mmorpg. i think mmo players are used to the really typical mmorpg gameplay by now, so i'm not sure if an mmorpg with actual good and challenging gameplay would even do well. i don't know what kind of people actually play these games and enjoy every second. i'm painfully bored every single minute and i can multitask at least 2 other things on my computer while leveling. how can anyone think a game is good if you can watch a movie and read a forum and play the game at the same time? you don't even need to look at the game, just memorize your rotation and mash it out when you hear monster sounds

even an mmorpg where you just explore would be much better. you start in a town, and your job is to explore the wilderness. monsters get harder and scarier the farther you go. no handholding beyond "look for cool things", you just explore and learn about the world as you progress. sometimes there's a really big monster and you need friends to beat it. sometimes a quest pops up for everyone to recover treasure in a cave or something, and the first one to reach it gets it. maybe you'll band up with a few friends and share it. maybe you'll try to do it alone and keep it all to yourself. add good action gameplay and it would probably be a fun game. i don't know.

i think i just want dark souls except players are always in the same world. i'm just throwing out ideas and i feel like most of them would make for a better game than the average mmo

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 24, 2015

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Making MMO's into bad action games is a bad idea IMO, aiming the center of your monitor at enemies to use your abilities versus tab targeting doesn't actually make the game more interesting or fun in my limited experience.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

I won a mouse from their little twitter contest, a full month later and I still haven't gotten it. Or received any further emails from them. Or been responded to when I asked them about it on twitter. I'm starting to think there were never any prizes to begin with.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I'm running a guild on Dominion EU Jabbit (PvE) if anyone wants to hop on and join. We're not raiding yet, I'm just basically using an auto-invite script to fund my adventures through guild tax. True goon

Message Severus Jovan for an invite and I'll promote you to an officer rank

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Periodiko posted:

Making MMO's into bad action games is a bad idea IMO, aiming the center of your monitor at enemies to use your abilities versus tab targeting doesn't actually make the game more interesting or fun in my limited experience.

I guess i'll stop lurking this thread for Schadenfreude and actually post, because i'm with the wall of rage guy and completely disagree with this.

The new Gw2 expansion just launched, and with it came the ability to play it as a bad action game exactly like you're describing. Most fun i've had with an mmo in ages. tab targetting is soul crushing pseudo gamey horseshit.

Put me in the waiting on Dark Souls: the mmo camp. Sounds like a dreamy date to me. Now go back to mining for enemies or whatever you do in this Awesomenauts wannabe of an mmo.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Cronodoculous posted:

I won a mouse from their little twitter contest, a full month later and I still haven't gotten it. Or received any further emails from them. Or been responded to when I asked them about it on twitter. I'm starting to think there were never any prizes to begin with.

Well, this is a special kind of lovely. I always figured Carbine for the incompetent kind of lovely. Not the Molyneux style "gently caress the little people" style of poo poo.

You should post about it on Reddit because I want to see the people there fall all over themselves to defend this.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Cyster posted:

i still hate your game but you have patience of a saint and i respect that

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Minorkos I agree your post was terrible, mainly because it falls into the common trap of assuming there is some platonic ideal form of mmorpg, instead of just understanding the pretty basic concept that different people like different stuff.

I mean you're saying you want Dark Souls as an MMO which is cool, and personally I agree with a lot of your personal taste, but its in the same thread where you had a bunch of people bitching because the levelling content in wildstar actually meant looking at the screen and occasionally reacting to poo poo.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

hit button posted:

Minorkos I agree your post was terrible, mainly because it falls into the common trap of assuming there is some platonic ideal form of mmorpg, instead of just understanding the pretty basic concept that different people like different stuff.

I mean you're saying you want Dark Souls as an MMO which is cool, and personally I agree with a lot of your personal taste, but its in the same thread where you had a bunch of people bitching because the levelling content in wildstar actually meant looking at the screen and occasionally reacting to poo poo.

Look at you showing restraint and stopping just short of calling everybody in the thread cupcake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Curious, how many of you people who hate the way tab targeting combat is have done high end raiding in WoW and FFXIV and SWTOR? I agree that at its base level tab targeting and hitting a rotation is boring as poo poo but when you combine that with the super hard fights that only "hardcore" players typically see it's pretty fun.

I have raided the hard stuff in both WoW and FFXIV and I enjoy them both assuming you kill the boss in a reasonable rate. Or at least that moment when the boss dies it was worth the challenge.

You want a more complex combat system but I think the more complex it becomes then the less complex the bosses have to become otherwise no one is killing any boss. What were the super "hardcore" raids like in Tera if they had any? Since everyone loves their combat system.

• Locked thread