Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Joementum posted:

That seems completely plausible. An "I'm going to meet this person across town and need a security detail" kind of request.

Or, just throwing this out there, Rep. Pompeo is full of poo poo.

One other possibility:

"We'd like a pair of jersey barriers for each of the north, south, and west entrances" is being counted as 6 requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Radish posted:

In regards to the Oklahoma thing it's a little different than you put there.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagel...1a4bcf6878.html
So the Center for Consumer Freedom (these guys again) send out a week long campaign after AG Scott Pruitt issued his consumer advisory against HSUS. This guy is currently sued by a former AG who claims that he is doing it for political reaons.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/newshomep...fa00d165e6.html

If I recall that RICO was about the guy that animal rights groups paid in order to testify against the organization which owns the Ringling Bros Circus after they counter sued. HSUS adsorbed the group that originally brought the charges up (I don't remember which one) in early the early 2000s. Then Ringlings counter sued using RICO and alot of their complaints were thrown out and it was eventually settled. It sounds to me the witness they got was not creditible whatsoever which is what ended up screwing them since the original lawsuit regarding elephant cruelty was never ruled on because of the settlement. It seems really complicated but it's hard to research more because google is clogged with industry groups glibly describing the suit without details and right wing sites gloating about sticking it to animal rights people. This one ended up involving all the big animal rights organizations.

Just taking info from places like CCF or Protect The Harvest (which has a lot of your same info) which is a lobbying group for animal agriculture and puppy mills that specifically was started to attack animal rights groups is pretty bad. I'm not saying animal rights organizations are pristine but they have a lot of powerful enemies.

In regards to that snake I don't see how they are "spreading misinformation" any more than literally every news organization in regards to that story. I'm not sure where you are getting your info that they were murdered since the police don't seem to agree with you.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/news/2015/31/man-charged-connection-deaths-barthe-brothers-campbellton-nb

CCF and Protect the Harvest suck, I'm not denying that. Also you are right on the two kids, I got that mixed up with another case where someone strangled his kid and then let the snake go to try and cover it up. >.< It's hosed up as hell and I hope the guy that used that lovely cage goes to prison for negligent homicide.

If HSUS stuck to puppy mills, dog fighting, and CAFO-related stuff it would be okay with me, but they don't.

I'm just bitter as gently caress about HSUS because they successfully lobbied USFWS to make it a felony for me to bring my animals across state lines for veterinary care. There is an ongoing federal court case about this and right now we have a preliminary injunction, thank goodness. This stuff has also made my work at the reptile rescue a lot harder because we have had four times as many owner surrenders of large snakes as usual because they can't be brought across state lines. It's pretty hard to place a 15ft snake with a new, responsible owner, especially now that we have to consider proximity to an in-state vet.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

STAC Goat posted:

There's just something weird about these guys who run for major political office with the nicknames they had when they were kids. I had a nickname as a kid. We all did. I still have some old friends who call me by it. But somehow no one had to tell me to use my actual name once I started doing professional, adult poo poo.

It's meant to make the politician seem friendlier. He's just like an old buddy of yours!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can totally respect disliking them for a reason like that and opposing them because of it. I just don't think we should be propagating right wing messaging from industries that are very much in the business of trying to get around animal cruelty laws and spend a lot of money to slander organizations that oppose them.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 23, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I agree with that but I do feel that their advertising is misleading. Many people think they are associated with local humane societies when that is not the case at all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

STAC Goat posted:

Does the South just embrace the gently caress out of childish nicknames and that's the problem?

Yes, see The Palins for an example of it being electorally transmissible.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I guess. I've seen a lot of their fliers and requests from money over the years and they are usually fairly upfront about their role as an activist organization.

I think we are looking at this from similar points of views (don't be cruel to animals and don't take advantage of people that donate for that) but differing angles so I think it's cool.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

STAC Goat posted:

There's just something weird about these guys who run for major political office with the nicknames they had when they were kids. I had a nickname as a kid. We all did. I still have some old friends who call me by it. But somehow no one had to tell me to use my actual name once I started doing professional, adult poo poo.

Go on....

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

When you've conquered Europe you can do whatever the drat hell you like. It's like how CEOs can get away with dressing like slobs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ike gets a pass for beating Hitler and being best bros with Zhukov.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Fun fact: Dwight Eisenhower had Crohn's disease.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Mitt Romney posted:

"Fun facts" may not actually be fun. :smith:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mitt Romney posted:

He thought his first heart attack was a flare-up of his Crohn's, if I recall.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I do admire the decision Mitt must have once made that "Willard" was too weird, so he should go by his middle name instead.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't think these were posted, but the Washington Post's Ann Telnaes did some nice sketches of the Benghazi committee dustup yesterday:

Now if only there was an animated cartoon of these. I'd watch the poo poo out of that.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Zwabu posted:

I don't think these were posted, but the Washington Post's Ann Telnaes did some nice sketches of the Benghazi committee dustup yesterday:

Now if only there was an animated cartoon of these. I'd watch the poo poo out of that.

Telnas has done some sweet slightly animated GIFs.

The political cartoon world just hasn't been the same since the end of Li'l Bush. :sigh:

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

The irony is so thick that Poe's law comes to mind.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Zwabu posted:

Who does Hillary have a massive Einstein-like moustache in this comic?

Is there something Bill isn't telling us?!?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm bipartisan on both my dislike for childish nicknames on politicians and my willingness to mock their hair. That doesn't make Ike a bad politician and Bernie needed to be called "Doc Brown" a few hundred times to start brushing his hair. Its only fair I apply it on both sides.

But you can still be a good politician with a bad name or hair cut.

Both though? That's just a bad campaign manager or something. Come on, Trey. Pull it together.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Remember the Indiana "religious freedom" bill earlier this year? Florida would like to raise the bar.

quote:

The bill states that “a health care facility,” “an ambulatory surgery center,” “a nursing home,” “an assisted living facility,” “a hospice … operated by a religious institution,” and any “health care provider” can refuse to treat a patient or administer a medication if doing so would be contrary to its “religious or moral convictions or policies.” The implications for women here are obvious: Pharmacists could refuse to provide birth control or Plan B; doctors could refuse to place IUDs; nurses could refuse to assist in medically necessary abortions.

The Florida bill would... [permit] doctors to turn away LGBTQ patients if treating them—or treating ailments they perceive to be LGBTQ-specific—would violate their “convictions.” Doctors could refuse to perform surgery on LGBTQ people, unless that refusal “places the patient in imminent danger of loss of life or serious bodily injury.” Cleverly, the bill doesn’t just shield doctors from liability suits from would-be patients: It also shields them from disciplinary actions by their hospital or medical association. So much for the Hippocratic Oath.

There are also provisions that would permit hospices and nursing homes to turn away gays as well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Joementum posted:

I do admire the decision Mitt must have once made that "Willard" was too weird, so he should go by his middle name instead.

Somehow Woodrow Wilson had the same idea.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Remember the Indiana "religious freedom" bill earlier this year? Florida would like to raise the bar.

There are also provisions that would permit hospices and nursing homes to turn away gays as well.
Thought this said guns and was like "wait that can't be right, this is America."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

:florida:

This should be interesting. Compared to Florida, Indiana is a tiny market, but sponsors and companies went ape poo poo saying if it went into law that they were out of the state for good and the bill very quickly got neutered

Of course, I also have very little hope for Florida to ever do the right thing so who knows. Generally the business interests get priority over the evangelicals so this is just posturing

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

pathetic little tramp posted:

Isn't the debt limit like 10x as disastrous as a shutdown too?
Several pages back, but would it be at all accurate, as an analogy, to compare defaulting to the subprime mortgage crisis, in terms of kind if not scale? The subprime crisis happened because people couldn't keep up with their mortgages, which totaled to billions(trillions?) of dollars in debt, and that cashflow interruption rippled through the financial sector and global economy, resulting in a massive recession from which we're still recovering. With that in mind, imagine what would result from defaulting on $16 trillion of US federal debt.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Thought this said guns and was like "wait that can't be right, this is America."

Doctors can't ask you if you have guns in your home, but they CAN ask you if you have gays.

"I'm sorry, but you've got AIDS. That means you must be gay. Sorry, but I am morally required to let you die as punishment for your sin of sodomy."

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so how did hillary's testimony go? any meaningful developments or is this just going to keep continuing indefinitely?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

STAC Goat posted:

On the Five today Gutfeld said that he died a true hero doing the noblest bit of "God's work"... "killing radical Islamists."

Greg Gutfeld not only can but revels in turning a heroic death into a symbol of hate.

:smith:

The dude was Master Sergeant Joshua Wheeler, a Delta Force operator and Army soldier since 1995. He had been deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq 11 times. He likely knew more about the situation in Iraq and the fight against ISIL than Gutfield could ever loving imagine.

It's honestly extremely loving insulting that that piece of poo poo would think that Wheeler's only mission in doing his job and supporting the Kurds was just the chance to shoot people.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Epic High Five posted:

:florida:

This should be interesting. Compared to Florida, Indiana is a tiny market, but sponsors and companies went ape poo poo saying if it went into law that they were out of the state for good and the bill very quickly got neutered

Of course, I also have very little hope for Florida to ever do the right thing so who knows. Generally the business interests get priority over the evangelicals so this is just posturing

How many Gay retirees do you think are serviced by such organizations in FL? I'd be interested to see if it is enough to have the :woop: Free Market! :woop: call them out on this poo poo; and/or how long it takes for it to hit the Supreme Court's desk.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

so how did hillary's testimony go? any meaningful developments or is this just going to keep continuing indefinitely?

Gowdy seems to want to press ahead but it's been universally acknowledged at this point that A) there was no substantially new information and B) Hillary came out of it looking like a freaking champion sooooooo

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Thump! posted:

The dude was Master Sergeant Joshua Wheeler, a Delta Force operator and Army soldier since 1995. He had been deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq 11 times. He likely knew more about the situation in Iraq and the fight against ISIL than Gutfield could ever loving imagine.

It's honestly extremely loving insulting that that piece of poo poo would think that Wheeler's only mission in doing his job and supporting the Kurds was just the chance to shoot people.

I hate chicken hawk scum.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thump! posted:

I mean, I think it says enough that Gutfeld's takeaway isn't that the soldier saved dozens of lives but rather that he might have taken a couple of people with him. Its straight up that. Beyond the racism and ignorance and false bravado and other ugliness. Killing people means more than saving people.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

How many Gay retirees do you think are serviced by such organizations in FL? I'd be interested to see if it is enough to have the :woop: Free Market! :woop: call them out on this poo poo; and/or how long it takes for it to hit the Supreme Court's desk.

A good point! Maybe I should trust the invisible hand of the market that Adam Smith (D - WA) has talked about so much

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It's a good question actually, is Ben Gazi gazin' going to go on literally forever or will someone finally loving drop it?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

icantfindaname posted:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

The cia as using an embassy as Cover to spy??? That's ridiculous.

The CIA was across town. There were several DSS agents that were providing security and they did everything that could have been reasonably expected...

quote:

Diplomatic Security Service Special Agent Scott Strickland secured Ambassador Stevens and Sean Smith, an information management officer, in the main building's safe haven.[81][83] The rest of the agents left to retrieve their M4 carbines and tactical gear from another building. They tried to return to the main building but encountered armed attackers and retreated.[81]

The attackers entered the main building and rattled the locked metal grille of the safe haven.[80] They carried jerrycans of diesel fuel, spread the fuel over the floor and furniture, and set fires.[80][81] As thick smoke filled the building, Stevens, Smith, and Strickland moved to the bathroom and lay on the floor, but they decided to leave the safe haven after being overcome by smoke.[83] Strickland exited through the window, but Stevens and Smith did not follow him. Strickland returned several times but couldn't find them in the smoke; he went up to the roof and radioed other agents.[83]

Three agents returned to the main building in an armored vehicle; they searched the building and found Smith's body, but not Stevens.[83]

:(

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Maybe this is some kind of cultural thing? If I had tried to write my nickname on a school paper I would have gotten an F out of principle. Is it the teachers' fault for letting these guys get away with writing "Trey", or "Jeb", or "Tex" or whatever? Does the South just embrace the gently caress out of childish nicknames and that's the problem?

I find it highly unlikely that his childhood nickname would have been "Trey" and not "wienerhead".

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Partially because there's absolutely no reason for it to ever happen unless we go crazy and do it on purpose. It's like someone refusing to pay their electric bill when they live in a house made entirely out of hundred dollar bills.

The debt ceiling issue is basically this but in real life:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NITBfc1EOBo

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Magugu posted:

and Fred Durst was a master lyricist.

Oh poo poo, I didn't know Assad was a goon.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

The CIA was across town. There were several DSS agents that were providing security and they did everything that could have been reasonably expected...

:(

The worst part is, even though there was exceptional heroism from the security present that day, seethingly partisan Republicans would rather belittle their work, and in effect pretend they weren't here, to make the stupidest pettiest point.

Their point being that Hillary personally stopped the United States Space Marines (which is actually more like the unarmed foreign army corps of engineers, known for building walls and cleaning up bombing sites) from dropshipping in from their space stations and saving everyone's lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
They could have asked why, despite the CIA having a local presence, there was no reliable intelligence about the attack for days after it occurred.

But that would point out that the CIA is a perpetual joke, rather than attacking Hillary, so I guess it's best not to mention.

• Locked thread