Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Digital Jesus posted:

Is this game still Cool and Good? I haven't played since just before Heavensward dropped. I can't remember why I quit... I think I was tired of trying to get through the vanilla story stuff. Pretty keen to get back on board though.

Yeah about that.

Where'd you stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

RuanGacho posted:

Yeah about that.

Where'd you stop?

Uhh good question. I'll check when I get home.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

*muffled screaming*

he couldnt hold aggro off me and we failed the dps check because i had to heal myself (because i was tanking) and he was spamming savage blade on ifrit

he pulled, i didnt heal him, and he quit :(

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The future Dragoon armor set is making me want to level a DRG.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

RuanGacho posted:

Yeah about that.

Where'd you stop?

OK I had a look and yeah, way the gently caress back in the story. http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/The_Gift_of_Eternity this is my current "main scenario" quest... It's a lost cause, isn't it?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Not really, no. Get some goons on that poo poo, Levi story is easy-peasy and fun.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Gizmo Chicken posted:

3.1 dungeon gear, courtesy of Facebook.

Left to right: Caster, Tank, Ninja, Dragoon, Healer, Monk, Bard/Machinist

oh my god that caster gear huuuuunnnnnngggggg

My hype level for 3.1 just went into overdrive.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Digital Jesus posted:

OK I had a look and yeah, way the gently caress back in the story. http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/The_Gift_of_Eternity this is my current "main scenario" quest... It's a lost cause, isn't it?

The story actually gets decent in 2.3, ramping up to good by the end of 2.55 shortly after where you are at. It's all subjective of course but the worst is behind you imo.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

My biggest problem I think was that I was too low ilvl to proceed. Might see if I can hit up some friendly goons once I get back into one of the FCs :)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Digital Jesus posted:

Is this game still Cool and Good? I haven't played since just before Heavensward dropped. I can't remember why I quit... I think I was tired of trying to get through the vanilla story stuff. Pretty keen to get back on board though.

Basically the only problem is that the extreme high-end game right now is balls-in-a-vice hard and kind of grindy (with content under it being rather too easy), and we're a bit overdue for a content patch because the devs needed a vacation after the insane Heavensward crunch. If you liked the game previously, the 50-60 game remains 100% worth it and much like ARR, the Heavensward content patch cycle should expand and smooth things out nicely.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There are so many sidequests between 50-60 it's ridiculous though. Dungeons still remain the best exp source for your time, but so many sidequests.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Digital Jesus posted:

My biggest problem I think was that I was too low ilvl to proceed. Might see if I can hit up some friendly goons once I get back into one of the FCs :)

Well they added decent ilvl equipment into the main story quests to avert this problem but I have no idea how this pans out for someone who has already progressed through some of it.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

Failboattootoot posted:

Well they added decent ilvl equipment into the main story quests to avert this problem but I have no idea how this pans out for someone who has already progressed through some of it.

Any free quest gear you would have gotten before that point is lost, but everything afterwards will give you i90/i110 gear until you finish 2.55. Even then it shouldn't be too much of a problem, as there'll be some goons that will craft you some decent 90 gear or just buy you a set of 115 nq gear from Ishgard to make your life easier.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Doublestep posted:

*muffled screaming*

he couldnt hold aggro off me and we failed the dps check because i had to heal myself (because i was tanking) and he was spamming savage blade on ifrit

he pulled, i didnt heal him, and he quit :(

poo poo players :allears:

Had a 60 NIN (first timer) in brayflox hard for HLDR recently who barely hit any buttons, ate almost every aoe and didn't use huton once. Also loving flailed around uselessly during each boss.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
lol "tank can you wear actual gear please"

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

The future Dragoon armor set is making me want to level a DRG.

I'm cheesed because I prefer that color scheme to the tank version but I play a tank. At least I can enjoy the ninja gear.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you're in TPT just holler in FC chat about level 50 gear and a bunch of us can poo poo out HQ crafted stuff that will last until you start getting HW gear in the 52-55 area.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I got commendations for the first time, on a Thousand Maws run last night :toot:

All I did was spam Fire 1 like usual, accidentally pull a few mobs while AoEing (the tank was not good) and remember to spend a while taking out fleshy pods during the boss fight, but recognition feels p good :feelsgood:

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

loquacius posted:

I got commendations for the first time, on a Thousand Maws run last night :toot:

All I did was spam Fire 1 like usual, accidentally pull a few mobs while AoEing (the tank was not good) and remember to spend a while taking out fleshy pods during the boss fight, but recognition feels p good :feelsgood:

Use Sleep on stuff, even if they're immune to it. People will commend you like mad because you're an amazing player.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

loquacius posted:

When I'm tanking I almost always give my comm to the better of the two DPS.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

loquacius posted:

The correct way to get commendations is to be a half naked catgirl tank who talks in chat, holds agro well, and pulls quickly. In roughly that order. But yeah it always feels good to get them when you are playing DPS.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

When I'm tanking I almost always give my comm to the better of the two DPS.

As DPS, I mostly comm the other DPS unless they're blatantly retarded. So, about 50% of the time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
As heals I got an average of about 1 comm per instance, this despite running most instances exclusively with goons since HW hit. Could definitely be worse.

Also, I generally comm the dps that remembered to use the goddamn LB before the last 0.01% of last boss. So often, the tank gets it.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
Came back for the Halloween event, how funny would it be if you fed one of the monsters a cookie and they didn't turn back into a kid, cause it turns out they really were a monster the whole time!

:lol: hire me to write, Square Enix

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nipponophile posted:

As DPS, I mostly comm the other DPS unless they're blatantly retarded. So, about 50% of the time.

I think I pretty much give it to the next best DPS regardless of role. If I've got a good scholar that is melting poo poo then they'll get it. If a tank is properly stance dancing and helping kill poo poo fast, they get it.

Basically make my run faster and you get a comm if I can.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I told myself a while ago that any healer who uses Cleric Stance would instantly get my commend.

I think I've done it like twice. :negative:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Came back for the Halloween event, how funny would it be if you fed one of the monsters a cookie and they didn't turn back into a kid, cause it turns out they really were a monster the whole time!

:lol: hire me to write, Square Enix

But one of the monsters did transform into an abomination.

(i'm just kidding, mi'kitten is cute as heck :3: )

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

But one of the monsters did transform into an abomination.

(i'm just kidding, mi'kitten is cute as heck :3: )

I know, mi'kitten was pretty drat adorable.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

I guess this event has randomly appearing ghosts. Caught this spoopy guy checking out a moogle decal earlier.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ryanbomber posted:

I told myself a while ago that any healer who uses Cleric Stance would instantly get my commend.

I think I've done it like twice. :negative:

This is my rule too. If I'm tanking, I commend with that, followed by a dps who uses LBs mid battle. I'll throw it up to a wildcard if someone is funny in chat (or comments on how great my glamours are), and isn't terrible overall too.

But yeah rarely do healers DPS, and if they do, they often fail to use cleric stance.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

just finshed exdr while com-pletely drunk, didn't do too badly, a goon healed for me and I thin kthey said I did ok until last boss (it was fractal, dunno if I am capable of neverreap) and then it kind of got away from me, reaction time is a bithc

edit: I am a blm and I think if I can keep enochian up even when smashed it says a lot

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I've gotten a Com every dungeon I've done so far as a THM now BLM. I think people do it at random, because I just sit there and Fire poo poo. I give my coms to the healer more often than not, because I swear I don't know how they keep some of these people alive.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 23, 2015

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I double box and comm myself

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Gross, dude

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Espilae posted:

just finshed exdr while com-pletely drunk, didn't do too badly, a goon healed for me and I thin kthey said I did ok until last boss (it was fractal, dunno if I am capable of neverreap) and then it kind of got away from me, reaction time is a bithc

edit: I am a blm and I think if I can keep enochian up even when smashed it says a lot

Neverreap isn't any harder than fractal. You'll get knocked out of the fight if you don't run to the boss between phases but that's pretty much it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Speaking of, cute post about Yoshi-P and friends taking on the new dungeons for final balance checks: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/001223.html

quote:

I guess the initial version of the dungeon was quite difficult because Yoshi-P was getting heated telling the team that this shouldn't be a 4-person raid! However, the dungeon underwent some adjustments afterwards, and ultimately it was balanced just right to be fun.

God I wish they released "raid difficulty" versions of the dungeons I'd be all over that poo poo.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Theyre in wow and they arent cool or good (not challenge modes, mythics)

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Boten Anna posted:

Speaking of, cute post about Yoshi-P and friends taking on the new dungeons for final balance checks: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/001223.html

God I wish they released "raid difficulty" versions of the dungeons I'd be all over that poo poo.
that probably means they had the damage going out being too high, and nothing else

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Potato Jones posted:

I guess this event has randomly appearing ghosts. Caught this spoopy guy checking out a moogle decal earlier.

Saw one bobbing up and down next to a postmoogle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Joined TPT and people are being nice and hooking me up. Awesome!

• Locked thread