Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Decades posted:

I'm trying to avoid digging deep into mmath here but the third and fourth guys likely beating the fifth guy doesn't particularly support the argument that it's a huge drop off garbage fire after the fourth spot

no, watching fights and understanding what you're seeing supports the argument that there's a huge drop off after the forth spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Marching Powder posted:

i've said it before and i'll reiterate it now because i get the feeling people are still calling dc the paper champ and jones unbeatable unironically: dc is as much a legitimate champion as jon jones ever was in the post gus / dc world.

jon jones had the poo poo beaten out of him by alexander gustaffson and won by the thinnest of margins. dc has legitimately beaten two of the relevant four fighters in the division, same as jones. because lhw is a garbage fire, none of the fighters are 'complete' except arguably for jon and gus, so it is a game of scissors paper rock with how their styles match up and any one of those four could be legitimate champions.

reminder: the first time jon jones fought a well rounded fighter he ended up in the trauma ward.

:hf:

That's partially why I would like to see DC go back up to heavyweight if Jones continues to have his number because people forget that DC still has more wins over top guys in that division than most other current heavyweights. DC is a freak in this sport, Jones is just a little better, but both are among the best to fight this era. We haven't seen Jones fight at HW (yet) but Daniel Cormier has beaten tons of solid guys across two divisions. He's good.

really I just want to see DC pummel the hell out of Travis Browne.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Decades posted:

Its almost as if they all have unique strengths and flaws and the real garbage fire is in your mind

Marching Powder posted:

this does not make sense as a response to what you quoted or even as an isolated statement

try imagining frank mir saying it while greg jackson stands just over his shoulder nodding sagely

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 24, 2015

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
all i know is that gustafsson is incapable of beating african american gentlemen

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
Is there anyone who believes that there is a real contender outside of Bones, DC, Gus and Rumble? I honestly can't think of anyone than those 4 who have a real chance of holding the belt (and really, Gus and Rumble are still on the outside looking in at Bones/DC).

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

LobsterMobster posted:

all i know is that gustafsson is incapable of beating african american gentlemen

waiting for confirmation on that from the swedish judicial system

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
As mentioned earlier, Ryan Bader is in the interesting spot where he sits atop the garbage heap remainder of the division while simultaneously having absolutely zero chance of beating anyone above his position. It really pisses off the people who think the UFC runs like a legitimate sport that he's not getting a shot but it's so completely glaringly obvious why that I'm not sure how anyone can honestly be upset about it.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I mean lets be honest who thought he'd beat Rashad

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

-Atom- posted:

I did, which is why I placed a whole $5 bet on it.

To be fair I did not not expect Bader to show any kind of improved striking and decision making. I felt like it was going to be a labored somewhat ugly fight due to Rashad coming back from multiple knee injuries and ring rust. Surprisingly Rashad looked okay, but more surprisingly Bader looked good.

That being said I do think on his best day Ryan Bader is worse than Rumble Johnson in almost every area so that's why I think he's going to get set back again if that fight does go down. But I think if his strategy is to wait out the winner of DC vs Jones II he's going to get skipped over real quickly.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

But I think if his strategy is to wait out the winner of DC vs Jones II he's going to get skipped over real quickly.

If the UFC cared at all about Ryan Bader as a contender then they'd just let him press Shogun or something against the fence for 15 minutes and then maybe offer him up as easy pickings for one of the top 4's title defenses.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

-Atom- posted:

I did. Not because I'm a big believer in Darth, but I just think Rashad is either fading or not as good as some people have believed (he's had even more garbage fights than Bader has).

Bubba Smith posted:

That being said I do think on his best day Ryan Bader is worse than Rumble Johnson in almost every area so that's why I think he's going to get set back again if that fight does go down. But I think if his strategy is to wait out the winner of DC vs Jones II he's going to get skipped over real quickly.

You probably aren't wrong. Anything on the feet where Bader "may" have the advantage is completely nullified by Rumble's godlike power. Where I do think Bader could win that matchup is on the ground and in a scramble, places where Johnson has been vulnerable in the past. That being said, Rumble by (the obvious) KO.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

-Atom- posted:

Me.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
rumble / bader will look almost exactly like rumble / davis with rumble effortlessly shrugging off takedowns and beating the poo poo out of bader. only in this fight bader will go to sleep because he's not as infuriatingly timid as davis

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Marching Powder posted:

i've said it before and i'll reiterate it now because i get the feeling people are still calling dc the paper champ and jones unbeatable unironically: dc is as much a legitimate champion as jon jones ever was in the post gus / dc world.

jon jones had the poo poo beaten out of him by alexander gustaffson and won by the thinnest of margins. dc has legitimately beaten two of the relevant four fighters in the division, same as jones. because lhw is a garbage fire, none of the fighters are 'complete' except arguably for jon and gus, so it is a game of scissors paper rock with how their styles match up and any one of those four could be legitimate champions.

reminder: the first time jon jones fought a well rounded fighter he ended up in the trauma ward.

Is this a Jon jones was always bad post? Like I in no way follow your logic. Dc is the definition of a paper champ. He is the the champ on paper, but there is another guy who is unarguably better.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Rashad is old and broken down, and has been figured out. All he has is a big overhand right. If you are aware of this and can box a bit you'll win as long as you can avoid the takedowns, which is getting easier as he has lost a bunch of explosiveness.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

I did, which is why I placed a whole $5 bet on it.

To be fair I did not not expect Bader to show any kind of improved striking and decision making. I felt like it was going to be a labored somewhat ugly fight due to Rashad coming back from multiple knee injuries and ring rust. Surprisingly Rashad looked okay, but more surprisingly Bader looked good.

I know you said "almost" but I think Bader would very much be able to drag out a decision against Johnson if - he was able to weather the early storm. Yeah, Johnson can go three rounds if he can set the tone and the pace, but if Bader could turn it into a wrestling match Johnson wouldn't have the tank to go all three.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Dangersim posted:

Rashad is old and broken down, and has been figured out. All he has is a big overhand right. If you are aware of this and can box a bit you'll win as long as you can avoid the takedowns, which is getting easier as he has lost a bunch of explosiveness.

I don't know if he even has a big overhand right. He doesn't exactly have a ton of T/KO's, and even those are against questionable competition (Tito and Chuck well past their primes aren't exactly, well, elite). He hit it once, in a great moment, but other than that, he's been fairly mediocre.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

That would involve Ryan Bader being able to get close to Rumble (he can't) and probably being durable enough to eat a few nuclear bombs (he's not).

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Has Rashad of all people ever been known to possess a BRH?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's funny thinking about how welterweight loser Josh Koscheck shot all these ridiculous doubles on Rumble Johnson and yet nobody except Cool Dad Daniel Cormier (CDDC) has been able to wrestle him at 205.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dangersim posted:

Is this a Jon jones was always bad post? Like I in no way follow your logic. Dc is the definition of a paper champ. He is the the champ on paper, but there is another guy who is unarguably better.

your ability to be unable to comprehend the meaning of words is borderline legendary

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

1st AD posted:

It's funny thinking about how welterweight loser Josh Koscheck shot all these ridiculous doubles on Rumble Johnson and yet nobody except Cool Dad Daniel Cormier (CDDC) has been able to wrestle him at 205.

I mean let's not ignore the fact that Koscheck still had one of the cleanest, fastest doubles in MMA at the time. Also Rumble probably didn't have kidneys at the time either.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I wish Jon Jones would drunk drive into these posts too

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

origami posted:

Has Rashad of all people ever been known to possess a BRH?

It might have only existed for a second but the hit he put on chucks jaw looked like a special effect

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I wish Jon Jones would drunk drive into these posts too

i'm starting to see these posts appearing in the three or so threads i visit on this website and i'm pretty sure they're worthless. this has been the most interesting this thread has been in like 3 weeks and if you want to bitch about specific posts / opinions please do so because conflicting points of view are interesting but this broad, non-specific condemnation of a unspecified number of posts is absolutely worthless

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It might have only existed for a second but the hit he put on chucks jaw looked like a special effect

oh there we go that's much better

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Without going back to review it, wasn't Rashad's KO of Chuck an uppercut, not a ROH?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

1st AD posted:

Well, yes and no, Johnson has come a long way since his match up with Koscheck and lately he's been doing a lot of what Jose Aldo and Renan Barao do which is line up big shots from the outside if anyone is going to shoot in. Aldo especially did this well against Urijah largely because Faber has a very visible switch in his mentality during a fight between "time to punchkick" and "time to grapplemans" and it's obvious when he's going to shoot and Aldo was able to key on that and throw a nice straight right down the pipe, throw a knee to the body and either look to clinch off it or move out, or an uppercut. Johnson does this pretty well and has been able to do it in some of his past fights, particularly against Phil Davis who really seemed to struggle when he got tuned up on the feet to turn it into a grappling match.

DC doesn't throw a lot of kicks and has very quick level changes when he shoots for a takedown, he's also really adept at outwrestling people from the clinch so he was able to move inside behind his hands and clinch with Johnson and win that exchange there. He did the same thing a lot to gustaffson till gus started catching him coming in with knees and kicks. It was harder for Johnson to do this because like with the example above, he doesn't move laterally a lot. Aldo has this same issue, he tends to move forward and backward and not necessarily use angles. Gus does.

DC being a better wrestler than others in MMA isn't just because he's an olympic level wrestler it's also because he transitions so well.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Without going back to review it, wasn't Rashad's KO of Chuck an uppercut, not a ROH?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I legit was worried chuck was dead when I saw that live

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

your ability to be unable to comprehend the meaning of words is borderline legendary

I don't read posts

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

CommonShore posted:

you're probably thinking about how goldberg was waiting for rashad to get ko'd so he was busy narrating what chuck was doing and excitedly yells "BIG UPPERCUT" at the moment chuck gets obliterated instead

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok. Chuck was throwing the uppercut. Still wrong, but not insanely wrong.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
About as wrong as Chuck was at that moment

(so pretty wrong)

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

you're probably thinking about how goldberg was waiting for rashad to get ko'd so he was busy narrating what chuck was doing and excitedly yells "BIG UPPERCUT" at the moment chuck gets obliterated instead
lol Goldberg follies are so much less common these days but the classics never die

just laughed anew because I remembered that time he sounded like a malfunctioning robot from saying "...THE POWER..." or something over and over again and not realizing his mic was hot because his earpiece was out

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Marching Powder posted:

no, watching fights and understanding what you're seeing supports the argument that there's a huge drop off after the forth spot

Boring doesn't equal bad and Bader's a good fighter in the grand scheme of things. It's fun to poo poo on him and that's fine. I can't believe I'm digging in my heels to defend Ryan darth bader, but he could totally plausibly decision or rnc rumble which puts him appropriately in the fifth spot and y'all are being silly about the drop off.

Decades fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 24, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Decades posted:

Boring doesn't equal bad and Bader's a good fighter in the grand scheme of things. It's fun to poo poo on him and that's fine. I can't believe I'm digging in my heels to defend Ryan darth bader, but he could totally plausibly decision or rnc rumble which puts him appropriately in the fifth spot and y'all are being silly about the drop off.

watch phil davis vs rumble johnson and then say bader could decision rumble again. and don't bring up the dc fight because dc is a completely different caliber of grappler to phil and bader and he still had to eat a right hand in the first and a high kick in the second that would have decapitated anyone not named daniel cormier

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I think all these people should fight each other to settle it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

bader should only fight the people that are way better than him because literally none of his wins are memorable in any way. even phil davis completely embarrassed texiera that one time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Dangersim posted:

I think all these people should fight each other to settle it

I like this.

• Locked thread