Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Okay, that's a good one. I completely forgot Tesla's original gimmick was wireless power.

Hopefully he builds a backup into his permanent body, though, or someone will eventually take down China's power grid just to immobilize him in the middle of a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
We've already had WWIII. We're looking at IV or V at this point.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bobulus posted:

Okay, that's a good one. I completely forgot Tesla's original gimmick was wireless power.

Hopefully he builds a backup into his permanent body, though, or someone will eventually take down China's power grid just to immobilize him in the middle of a fight.

ULTRA has already done all the metamaterial research that they need for the new reactor Brougton said he couldn't build. They even called it a Broughton Reactor, it's all based off his work.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

wiegieman posted:

ULTRA has already done all the metamaterial research that they need for the new reactor Brougton said he couldn't build. They even called it a Broughton Reactor, it's all based off his work.
Well, sort of.

ULTRA is using Broughton's earlier work to build reactors small enough to fit inside giant robots.

The problem for Robo is that while they can design a different reactor that's small enough to fit inside his own body, they can't figure out how to actually build it because the design calls for materials that, while they do not violate the known laws of physics, are still largely hypothetical.

I guess Robo's strong enough that they could strap an OSIRIS reactor to his back and call it a day, but that would effectively remove him from all field work and probably interacting with living people due to radioactive concerns.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just tie his power core to a bike that he has to pedal to get around. Infinite energy right there.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm not saying this is bad, I'm liking the comic, but does anyone feel like the most recent issues are tonally different from the rest? Everything feels more desperate and ragtag and the world feels like it's in the shitter. Must be the loss of tesladyne and the biomega threat.

I'm loving the TITANS' look, btw. Just wondering how to use them in the rpg.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Keep in mind that this is something like Robo's tenth major storyarc. It makes sense to shift the tone around now and again to keep the storytelling fresh.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Like I said, I like it. I was more pointing it out and starting discussion for the record.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Hyperactive posted:

I guess Robo's strong enough that they could strap an OSIRIS reactor to his back and call it a day, but that would effectively remove him from all field work and probably interacting with living people due to radioactive concerns.

Do what Evangelion did and just use a really, really long extension cord.

Please don't do this.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Covok posted:

I'm not saying this is bad, I'm liking the comic, but does anyone feel like the most recent issues are tonally different from the rest? Everything feels more desperate and ragtag and the world feels like it's in the shitter. Must be the loss of tesladyne and the biomega threat.
Good! My main worry while writing this series was maintaining the balance between selling how bad things were and communicating how much worse they'll get but without overdoing either.

There's a couple things going on with this one. On the one hand, we promised that The Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur would be the volume where And Nothing Will Ever Be The Same. Which casts Robo's return to the present in Ring of Fire as the first demonstration of that promise by way of Tony Stark Loses The Company.

For an Atomic Robo story, yeah, it's fairly bleak. Easily the darkest we've done since Ghost of Station X. I wouldn't be concerned about Ring of Fire signaling a complete tonal shift going forward. We are definitely interested in exploring the Weird Future as we move Robo's timeline forward, but that's to remain on the cutting edge of current scientific pursuits and has nothing to do with melodrama/angst. So, more strange than grim, and in any case there's always going to be that undercurrent of humor.

Something I think people forget, and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here, it's just something I've noticed in general discussion of Atomic Robo, is that humor isn't the main element of the book. Ghostbusters is comedy with some action. Indiana Jones is action with some comedy. We spend most of our time closer to the Indy end of that spectrum.

quote:

I'm loving the TITANS' look, btw. Just wondering how to use them in the rpg.
Lemme double check if we're putting stats into the Majestic 12 book for these guys. It's principally concerned with the Task Force Ultra era of M12, so those really should be in there. In the meantime, I'd check out the Biomega stats on page 296 of the main book and aim for something less powerful than that but more powerful than Robo.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

Something I think people forget, and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here, it's just something I've noticed in general discussion of Atomic Robo, is that humor isn't the main element of the book. Ghostbusters is comedy with some action. Indiana Jones is action with some comedy. We spend most of our time closer to the Indy end of that spectrum.

This is pretty much how I've always sold Atomic Robo to other people. "It's Indiana Jones with more SCIENCE and also he's a robot." Typically if that doesn't immediately sexually arouse them I can safely assume they're alien imposters and not real humans and react accordingly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

This is pretty much how I've always sold Atomic Robo to other people. "It's Indiana Jones with more SCIENCE and also he's a robot." Typically if that doesn't immediately sexually arouse them I can safely assume they're alien imposters and not real humans and react accordingly.

With SCIENCE presumably.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Ghost of Station X is probably my favorite Robo volume overall so I'm actually really digging this one with the similar feel.

You alternate between period and contemporary stories every year. Is that a deliberate choice, and the plan for the foreseeable future?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Oh, I've always viewed the series as Indian Jones, not a comedy. Make no mistake. Just noting the different feel. Like I said, I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Also, awesome to hear that there is a source book coming out for the RPG.

So, how cyberpunk is the weird future going to be? Should we expect 90s pop fiction levels or something more reserved and grounded? Or not at all? Or should I just wait and see?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
So I just caught up from the start of Ring of Fire. I'm not sure reading it update by update would work for me, but it was a pretty satisfying read so far.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Do what Evangelion did and just use a really, really long extension cord.

Please don't do this.

The comic mentioned that TITANs normally plug into Tokyo's power supply, it's already too late.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Ghost of Station X is probably my favorite Robo volume overall so I'm actually really digging this one with the similar feel.
They're all my favorite, but yeah, Station X was a benchmark for us.

quote:

You alternate between period and contemporary stories every year. Is that a deliberate choice, and the plan for the foreseeable future?
Yes and yes. It keeps us changing gears so we're never complacent and it lets us continue to pepper the continuity with references that are old to the reader but new to Robo and other ones that are old to Robo but new to the reader.

Covok posted:

Also, awesome to hear that there is a source book coming out for the RPG.
It's in layout! Might be ready for purchase toward the end of this year but don't quote me on that. Definitely available for 2016.

quote:

So, how cyberpunk is the weird future going to be? Should we expect 90s pop fiction levels or something more reserved and grounded? Or not at all? Or should I just wait and see?
It's hard to say. We've got a story in the pipeline for the '80s or '90s that is, like, a singularity of cyberpunk cliches. I would expect future storylines taking place in our present would be somewhat grounded. Keep in mind that Ghost of Station X and Ring of Fire would also qualify as grounded cyberpunk.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Hyperactive posted:

It's in layout! Might be ready for purchase toward the end of this year but don't quote me on that. Definitely available for 2016.

I ran into the designer of the Majestic 12 sourcebook at a con a few months ago, he totally sold me on playing a M12 game.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Bucnasti posted:

I ran into the designer of the Majestic 12 sourcebook at a con a few months ago, he totally sold me on playing a M12 game.
Writing it totally sold me on an M12 comic series. Maybe a Real Science Adventure volume that tracks some Majestic ops throughout its history.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I haven't gotten a chance to play the Atomic Robo game since I bought it but the book was a good read. I'll definitely pick up more supplements if they expand on lore and setting stuff.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hyperactive posted:

It's hard to say. We've got a story in the pipeline for the '80s or '90s that is, like, a singularity of cyberpunk cliches. I would expect future storylines taking place in our present would be somewhat grounded. Keep in mind that Ghost of Station X and Ring of Fire would also qualify as grounded cyberpunk.

They do? Man, my perspective on cyberpunk is too skewed by things like Shadowrun that I forget cyberpunk isn't just street samurai and hacker-magic.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Carrasco posted:

So I just caught up from the start of Ring of Fire. I'm not sure reading it update by update would work for me, but it was a pretty satisfying read so far.

I keep wanting to stop and wait for Ring of Fire to finish but every day I want more and I can't stop myself. I thought I had a Robo addiction before, but this daily business has ruined me.

Len posted:

I haven't gotten a chance to play the Atomic Robo game since I bought it but the book was a good read. I'll definitely pick up more supplements if they expand on lore and setting stuff.

Same. I've been wanting to play the game, and even kicked around a few ideas here and there. Everyone I play with sucks at long-term campaigns, especially me, and Robo seems like a great game for one-offs that build into a bigger overall picture. But so far no luck.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

It's our first in-depth look at how M12 came to be and how it operates. It's a thinly veiled crossover between the old Guide To The Technocracy and the recent-ish wave of sci-fi adventure/conspiracy shows from X-Files to Fringe. And any time I look at the document I have to resist an urge to start outlining M12 comics. Or start planning a whole new series from the perspectives of various antagonist factions.

Obviously you get the biggest bang for your buck if you get to play the game, but our main goal with the RPG and its supplements is: this would be a cool thing to own for any Robo fan whether or not they will ever play.

Covok posted:

They do? Man, my perspective on cyberpunk is too skewed by things like Shadowrun that I forget cyberpunk isn't just street samurai and hacker-magic.
Ghost of Station X literally has a rogue artificial intelligence using global telecommunications infrastructure to secretly build itself a spaceship. That's hardcore cyberpunk right there. Ring of Fire is less overt about its cyberpunkiness, at least so far, but it does feature a black market right out of any cyberpunk novel.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Those are some sexy looking legs they're designing. I'm wondering if they're for Robo or for the giant robot that will eventually be punching biomegas to death.

...and if they're for robo, it would be a shame to cover them up with pants all the time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I keep wanting to stop and wait for Ring of Fire to finish but every day I want more and I can't stop myself. I thought I had a Robo addiction before, but this daily business has ruined me.

Same. I've been wanting to play the game, and even kicked around a few ideas here and there. Everyone I play with sucks at long-term campaigns, especially me, and Robo seems like a great game for one-offs that build into a bigger overall picture. But so far no luck.

I don't know enough about the system or FATE to run a game but I would be willing to play in a game online if there were other people around interested.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Between this and last week's robo-crotch this is the sexiest issue of Atomic Robo.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Between this and last week's robo-crotch this is the sexiest issue of Atomic Robo.
We'll have to up the ante with a swimsuit issue.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey, Hyper, has the comic ever gone into the extent that Robo experiences tactile sensations? I know he's reacted to pain and possibly to extreme temperatures, but I can't remember if he's ever mentioned if something felt smooth or rough before.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Who What Now posted:

Hey, Hyper, has the comic ever gone into the extent that Robo experiences tactile sensations? I know he's reacted to pain and possibly to extreme temperatures, but I can't remember if he's ever mentioned if something felt smooth or rough before.
Honestly never thought about it before. I have to assume he can detect those things one way or another. He appears to have a totally normal range of human dexterity, and you can't pull that off if you're half-numb to surface details.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hyperactive posted:

Honestly never thought about it before. I have to assume he can detect those things one way or another. He appears to have a totally normal range of human dexterity, and you can't pull that off if you're half-numb to surface details.

Mumble mumble low-voltage electro-static field mumble mumble simulate sensation in the way nerves do.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It'd almost certainly have to be some kind of electric field, because Tesla.

But really, nerves are just conductors for tiny electrical impulses. If his entire body is weakly conductive, and something about his brain or heart was always transmitting and receiving a weak charge from the surface level, he'd have a sense of touch, or near enough to one. It might necessitate that he has to be careful when handling certain sensitive equipment, but most of what we've seen him work on is high-end rocketry and other mechanical engineering projects.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Doesn't that kill the gag with him not being able to use capacitive touch screens, though?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gaz-L posted:

Doesn't that kill the gag with him not being able to use capacitive touch screens, though?

His rigid metal fingers can have totally different capacitance from pliable human ones. He could still just use a little rubber finger-tipped gloves or something.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
This conversation is (part of) why I love this book.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Fantastic voyage? Does it still count if biomega are so large they don't really need to shrink in order to pop in and wreak havoc?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Mortanis posted:

Fantastic voyage? Does it still count if biomega are so large they don't really need to shrink in order to pop in and wreak havoc?

I've decided this story has to end with Robo using 100% of his (China's) power to just directly beat all the biomega to death. And/or buy time for a better plan. :ssj:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

If they can project power into Robo, could they theoretically project the same power (perhaps requiring a small receiver of some kind) into the insides of the monster? I have prepared a demonstration of what would happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRT1f5luywU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

This torpedo nuke plan does not involve enough punches to giant monster faces.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Bucnasti posted:

This torpedo nuke plan does not involve enough punches to giant monster faces.
Counterpoint: the plan is literally as many supersonic nuclear punches to giant monster faces as needed to cook them to death.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Hyperactive posted:

Counterpoint: the plan is literally as many supersonic nuclear punches to giant monster faces as needed to cook them to death.

Will the torpedos be shaped like fists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Bucnasti posted:

Will the torpedos be shaped like fists?

Depending on what they use to cause the supercavitation, I'd guess. Either speed (Then no) or extreme heat (Then it can be shaped however you want).

So, it's possible. But not as cost effective as just shooting them.

Unless they use giant Pistol Shrimp hands to cause the cavitation. Then it's crustacean punches!

• Locked thread