Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

Funny road related story I just remembered.

I had a friend who lived on the curve of a road. Every time a bus or big truck went by their house would rattle like hell. They complained to the bus company, they complained to the city, no one took it seriously. Finally they got someone actually out to stand in the house while a big truck went by and they realized it was way louder than it should be. Finally the city figured it out. The road didn't used to curve, it went straight, and it was concrete. They had a single big slab of concrete going from under the road to partially under their house. The city actually send a crew out to dig a trench and jack hammer through the slab to isolate the house from the ancient road.

"Hey, I found the perfect spot to build your new house! The foundation's already poured!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Hadlock posted:

This is more of a road surface question and less of traffic but road surface quality certainly impacts speed of traffic so here goes.

Brief backstory (and maybe answering my own question but I would like some validation): the whole Dallas area sits on top of about 30 feet deep worth of black gooey clay when it's wet, which sits on top of maybe half a mile of limestone. This black clay when it swells due to spring rains (or shrinks and cracks due to summer droughts) causes all the Mc Mansions and ranch style houses built on a slab foundation to have awful foundation issues. Houses built on any kind of slope slide down the slope over a period of years. It's bad. It's like building a house on top of jello pudding that moves on a slightly faster than geological timescale.

Anyways

In my neighborhood here just outside of downtown Dallas, at some point in the last they clearly paved the streets with beautiful concrete. Since then (more than 7 years ago) they paved over all of it with about 2" of asphalt. Most of this asphalt doesn't adhere very well to the concrete and it cracks, then chunks come off. Once a year or so they blob tar or a mixture of tar and ??? to keep it from flaking off worse. When it flakes off you can see the concrete underneath.

Periodically they grind off the asphalt, revealing the really nice concrete roads underneath.... and then pour more asphalt over top of it again. Which almost immediately begins to crack and flake again.

What the gently caress? I used to live in Plano, about 20 miles north (and 60 yeas after the neighborhood I currently live in was built) and they also have concrete roads, yet they're not covered in lovely asphalt. Their roads are great and have never been replaced, except when they wholesale cut out the worst sections and re-pour them, or when they redesign (widen) an intersection, etc. In all cases it's still new steel-reinforced concrete about 12-18" deep. This works great, wears awesome, due to the steel it almost never cracks and the only tar sealing is very minor. Not piling a bunch of lovely asphalt on top and long term maintenance (over 35 years anyways) seems to be near zero.

Why is Dallas frosting all their beautiful uncracked concrete roads with garbage asphalt that needs total replacement every 5 years? Why do they keep doing this? Is this some sort of different "2-part" road system, where the concrete is lower quality and just serves as a road base due to the poor quality (for roads) soil, and then the asphalt is supposed to be the wear surface?
Quite simply it's because the City of Dallas is broke from dumb decisions like subsidizing the fancy new Omni Hotel.
You should the streets in poorer neighborhoods, they are even worse.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

James The 1st posted:

Quite simply it's because the City of Dallas is broke from dumb decisions like subsidizing the fancy new Omni Hotel.
You should the streets in poorer neighborhoods, they are even worse.

Is Dallas the one that still has a bunch of dirt roads in the city limits or am I thinking of Houston?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae posted:

"Hey, I found the perfect spot to build your new house! The foundation's already poured!"

Yeah the other houses had half basements but theirs didn't for some reason.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Is Dallas the one that still has a bunch of dirt roads in the city limits or am I thinking of Houston?

I think they both have dirt roads. Dallas is huge, it's bigger than Singapore. Houston is 50% larger by area than that, which is bigger than all of Luxembourg. There's active farmland inside of Dallas, I went on a bike ride last week and someone was grazing their horse in their backyard.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Funny road related story I just remembered.

I had a friend who lived on the curve of a road. Every time a bus or big truck went by their house would rattle like hell. They complained to the bus company, they complained to the city, no one took it seriously. Finally they got someone actually out to stand in the house while a big truck went by and they realized it was way louder than it should be. Finally the city figured it out. The road didn't used to curve, it went straight, and it was concrete. They had a single big slab of concrete going from under the road to partially under their house. The city actually send a crew out to dig a trench and jack hammer through the slab to isolate the house from the ancient road.

There's a neighborhood in central Tulsa that was basically built over the closed Tulsa Commercial/Brown/Cherokee Airport in the 60s:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/OK/Airfields_OK_E.htm#tulsacom1st

A couple of the neighborhood streets are the concrete from the taxiways.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 14, 2015

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

will_colorado posted:

There's a neighborhood in central Tulsa that was basically built over the closed Tulsa Commercial/Brown/Cherokee Airport in the 60s:

"Oh, you live in ......? I live on an old runway"

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

will_colorado posted:

Huh. I go to Tulsa several times a year for work and I've actually stayed at a hotel right across the street from that - never realized it was a runway. I'll have to check it out again the next time I'm out there.

Though I work on an Air Force base, and it's not like we don't do the same thing - my work parking lot used to be an airport ramp as well, and Loop Road used to be a taxiway:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7847493,-84.0989356,489m/data=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7801703,-84.1031521,1644m/data=!3m1!1e3

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Varance posted:

All of TPA's airsides are going to be renovated, in sequence, starting with a complete rotation of all of the concessions and the construction of the Economy Parking/CONRAC people mover. Airside D will eventually be rebuilt (doesn't exist right now), after which the airsides will be rotated in and out. There are also plans for a third north-south runway on the far west side. Airside B is now international holding, while the former airside shuttle area will lead out to the CONRAC people mover.
Sounds fantastic! I've been paying attention to all the expansion/renovation plans for years and years. I remember the crazy "TAMPA BAY UBER ALLES" plan that had them building an entire second terminal complex north of the current one. This one seems much saner.

quote:

Once the CONRAC peoplemover is done, you can park in the economy garage or dropoff a rental car and be at the TSA checkpoint for your flight in less than 10 mins.
Yessss. (My parents live very, very close to the western terminus of the Courtney Campbell Causeway. I was so spoiled growing up on how long it took to get to the airport, how long it took to clear security, etc.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

will_colorado posted:

Fun Fact: Tampa International Airport was originally planned to be south of where USF is now, at the former Hillsborough Army Air Field. However, Trans-Canada Air Lines (Air Canada) started flying out of Drew Field instead, due to the field's larger size, which resulted in the international designation switching locations. The rest snowballed from there.

The Hillsborough Army Airfield site is now mostly developed, which was originally bounded 22nd St to 50th St, Fowler Ave to Busch Blvd. Busch Gardens and Adventure Island occupy the bottom third of the former airfield. Several sections of runway remain, which are circled. The Yeungling brewery still uses part of the E/W runway for their loading docks, while Busch Gardens uses one of the diagonals as an overflow parking lot (which is still referred to internally as "the airstrip").

(Click for Google Map)

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 15, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
For something closer to home (at least, for Chiclidae and I), a similar thing happened to Rentschler Field in East Hartford. Formerly Pratt & Whitney's corporate airport, it was closed in the 90s and surplus land donated to the University of Connecticut, and they built Rentschler Field (the football stadium) on the land. One of the runways is a parking lot, and Cabela's is on the other half.

One of the runways has a similar heading to Brainard (which is right across the river) and people have mistakenly lined up and landed there, despite the big giant yellow Xs painted on the runways.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CT/Airfields_CT_C.htm#Rentschler

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
They have concrete for the residential roads in the suburbs around Detroit and they seem to do pretty well. Whole lot better than the asphalt rivers they have in Bay City.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

How effective are "don't block the box" restrictions? Is it down to enforcement? It seems like even without explicitly saying it, being stopped in the middle of an intersection is a dicey proposition (and it's probably already a violation of something in the traffic code somewhere). People trying to sneak through a yellow light and getting stuck in the intersection is basically my least favorite thing in the world.

This is probably the worst intersection I deal with, trying to get onto the West End Bridge:

(e: this is that in gmaps: https://goo.gl/maps/SjV7t3PcwQw)
I've crudely sketched out some routes:

The red arrows all end up going south, the blue arrows are either going straight in the other direction or turning onto 65. That left turn gets an arrow, but only briefly, and no dedicated turn lane.

I get on at the green arrow. I could take the yellow route fairly easily, which would avoid the left turn onto the bridge, but not any traffic by any means.

Then there's the other red arrow getting onto the bridge from the other direction on 65, which means the right lane on the bridge has fairly heavy merging.

All in all, I could get onto the ramp and not get all the way across the bridge for a half hour. This happens all over Pittsburgh. And somehow other cities are worse? I couldn't imagine. But anyway, the intersection where the blue and red arrows overlap is made way worse when people get stuck in it.

Anyway, on a completely separate note, I was looking into some construction not too far from my house to see what they were planning, and it turns out it's fairly ambitious (at least when compared to the usual stuff I'm used to, where they will maybe widen the road or fix up a bridge). This is a pdf of what it will look like when they're done, although it's a little busy: http://www.i-70projects.com/docs/NewStantonAerial.pdf They also made a 5ish minute video that explains it in detail https://vimeo.com/89498511 (and the project page itself)

Basically they're permanently closing two interchanges (that have super short on/off ramps and also a bridge over I-70 that is 2 feet too low) and combining them while putting in some roundabouts, and spreading out the interchange from the current turnpike interchange, while also adding another lane for that part making merging way better. They started phase 1 already. I thought it was pretty neat.

myron cope fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 21, 2015

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Let's play a game. Hillsborough County modified an intersection earlier today to relieve congestion near a major mall. Based on the following picture of the span wire and cat tracks, let's see who can guess what the lane configurations are.

This picture is facing NORTH. Click for a larger version.

Hint: Florida has a law that requires a signal head for each lane of traffic, minimum of 2.

Varance fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 22, 2015

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Basing this mostly on the cat tracks, going from the left:

Left, Left, Left + Straight, and I guess Straight + Right?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ripper Swarm posted:

Basing this mostly on the cat tracks, going from the left:

Left, Left, Left + Straight, and I guess Straight + Right?

Not enough capacity.

Hint #2: The north road leads to an indoor shopping mall and a Walmart Supercenter. The south road connects to a Costco. The west road leads into two different expressways. The east road leads out into suburban hell.

Varance fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 22, 2015

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Do you get the problem with petrol stations/service centres being built right by busy intersections in the US? Over here most of them seem to be but people always seem to want to right turn into the petrol station just after going through the intersection, and block the exit from the intersection. It is a pet peeve of mine that petrol stations are stupid for being built to encourage that and the city is stupid for letting them and the drivers are stupid for doing it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Lobsterpillar posted:

Do you get the problem with petrol stations/service centres being built right by busy intersections in the US? Over here most of them seem to be but people always seem to want to right turn into the petrol station just after going through the intersection, and block the exit from the intersection. It is a pet peeve of mine that petrol stations are stupid for being built to encourage that and the city is stupid for letting them and the drivers are stupid for doing it.

Of course, I live right near one and this happens every single day.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Just got back from Kansas City! I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Maybe I should move there...

myron cope posted:

How effective are "don't block the box" restrictions? Is it down to enforcement? It seems like even without explicitly saying it, being stopped in the middle of an intersection is a dicey proposition (and it's probably already a violation of something in the traffic code somewhere). People trying to sneak through a yellow light and getting stuck in the intersection is basically my least favorite thing in the world.

They're completely useless unless they're enforced. You might have a few people that feel guilty and avoid the box (like me), but as soon as one person stops in the box, all bets are off and it gridlocks again.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Yes yes yes! Some places have proper access management, but usually their driveways are as close to the intersection as possible. We even built a roundabout with a curb cut for a gas station. There are some intersections where there are gas stations on every corner, and they're inevitably a huge safety and capacity issue.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Cichlidae posted:

Just got back from Kansas City! I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Maybe I should move there...

Did you see any of the downtown streetcar project they're working on? What were your thoughts?

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
Speaking of streetcars, there was an interesting story about new streetcar systems on NPR today. Guangzhou, China, has supercapacitor-powered streetcars that charge up while waiting at a station. This seems like a great solution for a system with frequent stops, avoiding unsightly wires and problems that come with in-ground systems in colder climates.

Also, cool station:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Kakairo posted:

Speaking of streetcars, there was an interesting story about new streetcar systems on NPR today. Guangzhou, China, has supercapacitor-powered streetcars that charge up while waiting at a station. This seems like a great solution for a system with frequent stops, avoiding unsightly wires and problems that come with in-ground systems in colder climates.

So it's less awful than this similar but older idea? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrobus

Or can they still lose power in the middle of the street if they get stuck in traffic?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

nimper posted:

Did you see any of the downtown streetcar project they're working on? What were your thoughts?

I was halfway between downtown and midtown, so I only saw the one stretch of track that went past Union Station. I didn't get to see anything actually functioning.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Carbon dioxide posted:

So it's less awful than this similar but older idea? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrobus

Or can they still lose power in the middle of the street if they get stuck in traffic?

No idea, but the Chinese example seems to have separate busways (streetcarways?) to minimize that problem.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

@Cichlidae: Did CTDOT ever consider creating some sort of x84 bypass of Hartford to let all the pass-through traffic not get mixed in with the commuting traffic?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Minenfeld! posted:

@Cichlidae: Did CTDOT ever consider creating some sort of x84 bypass of Hartford to let all the pass-through traffic not get mixed in with the commuting traffic?

Google I-291 in CT. The existing 291 is far shorter than intended.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Varance posted:

Let's play a game. Hillsborough County modified an intersection earlier today to relieve congestion near a major mall. Based on the following picture of the span wire and cat tracks, let's see who can guess what the lane configurations are.

This picture is facing NORTH. Click for a larger version.

Hint: Florida has a law that requires a signal head for each lane of traffic, minimum of 2.

Causeway? Left, Left, Left+Straight, Straight, Right?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

a new DDI interchange opened along the Boulder Turnpike this week:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/mccaslin-bridge-re-opens-with-new-diverging-diamond-interchange

a quote is from that additional link at the bottom of that article:

quote:

However, not all drivers are convinced the changes will work.

“I don’t have high hopes considering the way that I’ve seen people deal just with roundabouts in this country,”

Just put down your phone and pay attention, then that intersection or any of those scary circular roundabouts you encounter won't be a problem.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

People said the same thing when those started appearing here in Utah. Yes, it's a little weird the first time you drive on one. Then after a week you don't even notice anymore.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Causeway? Left, Left, Left+Straight, Straight, Right?

Yes and Yes. Beside using the Go Hillsborough outreach campaign to push a road and transit funding referendum, we're also using it to identify intersections that aggravate people the most and prioritize bus route expansion. With traffic being as bad as it is in the county right now, people showed up in the thousands to the meetings. The changes made to this intersection were directly proposed at the first Brandon meeting back in March, where a bunch of people showed up to complain about how long it takes to get in and out of Westfield Brandon. As the only mall in the eastern half of the county with a population approaching 400,000 people... yeah. It was needed.

The original lane configuration was 2x Left, 2x Straight, 1x Right N/B and 2x Left, 1x Straight+Right in the S/B direction. Northbound. one of the straight lanes northbound was virtually unused, while the left turns would take 3-4(!!) cycles to travel through. Southbound, the right turn lane would stack up pretty hard whenever someone wanted to go straight, forcing cars over the sidewalk to try to make a right. Given that this particular route is the preferred alternate for accessing I-75/Selmon Expwy without getting on SR-60, it also took 3-4 cycles to clear. Splitting the northbound and southbound phases and reconfiguring the lanes solved the entire traffic problem for minimal cost.

It's my understanding that we're also pushing to modify Gornto Lake Rd @ SR-60 in the same fashion, as the western mall exit is in the process of being modified to add double left onto Gornto Lake Rd, plus the intersection already has the same problems as the intersection I posted before... and the road is less than a year old.

P.S.: The part I didn't mention about the Florida signal head law is that there's a loophole that allows traffic engineers to ignore lanes without a protected phase. :ssh:

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 24, 2015

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Varance posted:

Yes and Yes. Beside using the Go Hillsborough outreach campaign to push a road and transit funding referendum, we're also using it to identify intersections that aggravate people the most and prioritize bus route expansion. With traffic being as bad as it is in the county right now, people showed up in the thousands to the meetings. The changes made to this intersection were directly proposed at the first Brandon meeting back in March, where a bunch of people showed up to complain about how long it takes to get in and out of Westfield Brandon. As the only mall in the eastern half of the county with a population approaching 400,000 people... yeah. It was needed.

P.S.: The part I didn't mention about the Florida signal head law is that there's a loophole that allows traffic engineers to ignore lanes without a protected phase. :ssh:

Three left turn lanes with only 50' turn bays are dumb

You're dumb

There, I said it

Edit: 100 feet? Those lanes are so wide and luxurious it's throwing off my eyeballing skills

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That's a waste of space and I'm super jealous. I'm a month in into the new job and I'm starting to actually get an idea of our road infrastructure.

Turns out back God knows when throwing asphalt right on soil was cool. Who the gently caress needs that aggregate base?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Devor posted:

Three left turn lanes with only 50' turn bays are dumb

You're dumb

There, I said it

Edit: 100 feet? Those lanes are so wide and luxurious it's throwing off my eyeballing skills

Try 250 feet. The angle throws you off. And yeah, our lanes are stupid big in Florida, usually 11-12 feet wide.

I'll admit that we're dumb for letting developers put dozens of big box stores next to each other, which caused a traffic nightmare from excessive amounts of left and right turning in a small area required to access them all.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 24, 2015

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Minenfeld! posted:

There was, but even so, only about a quarter of the traffic on I-84 in Hartford passes through Hartford on the way to somewhere else. The rest of it either originates in or is destined for Hartford.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Topical:

Can some big D.C. churches fight off a bike lane? They are bringing large crowds to try.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...laborative_1_na

quote:

When the city released the four bike-lane options, United House of Prayer responded with a letter from its lawyer to DDOT saying a bike lane near its property would infringe upon “its constitutionally protected rights of religious freedom and equal protection of the laws.” The letter also argued that city policies were driving African-American churches to the suburbs.

“This ain’t London, this ain’t Europe. The United States is built on the automobile and we need to respect that,” said Michael Green, a deacon at New Bethel Baptist Church.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Javid posted:

Topical:

Can some big D.C. churches fight off a bike lane? They are bringing large crowds to try.

They MIGHT be able to but in the end road safety usually trumps parking. What I think will probably happen is they will delay the project, costing tens or hundreds of thousands dollars worth of staff time, and it will eventually go through anyway. Possibly with a few concessions.

Basically, they're wasting taxpayer money fighting it because they don't want to park slightly further away once a week (or, you know, bike to church)

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Javid posted:

Topical:

quote:

“We just think we have to protect what’s ours,”

a public street is not "yours"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lobsterpillar posted:

(or, you know, bike to church)

Biking to church in the DC area would be like biking through a loving sauna while wearing your Sunday best. Nobody's going to want to do that, especially when you consider that the churchgoing demographic tends to be older folks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Javid posted:

Topical:

I'm generally against critical mass, but they should do a sunday gathering there every week until the church learns to deal with it.
The bad thing is that DC already let an AME church basically do the same thing and moved the bike lane, setting a bad precident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

nm posted:

I'm generally against critical mass, but they should do a sunday gathering there every week until the church learns to deal with it.
The bad thing is that DC already let an AME church basically do the same thing and moved the bike lane, setting a bad precident.

The optics of a group of mostly affluent, white bike riders (and let's face it, that's what the face of bike advocacy in the US is) protesting in front of a black church in a gentrifying neighborhood would be bad, to say the least.

This isn't just about the bike lanes, and goes farther into politics beyond traffic engineering.