Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I was just using the statistical average of Presidents an previous office held.

Yeah, but that doesn't really tell you anything. 100% of Presidents have been men. Therefore, all you have to become President is be a man.

...that probably doesn't work out in practice. The question should be, if I hold office X, how likely am I to go on to become President. Otherwise, the chances of a President having previously been an X, are going to be modified based on the total number of Xs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Joementum posted:

Yeah, but what's the track record for billionaire real estate moguls?

Well i mean didn't Jefferson own a shitload of land.

moebius2778 posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't really tell you anything. 100% of Presidents have been men. Therefore, all you have to become President is be a man.

...that probably doesn't work out in practice. The question should be, if I hold office X, how likely am I to go on to become President. Otherwise, the chances of a President having previously been an X, are going to be modified based on the total number of Xs.

Like I said it's just a statistic and doesn't really mean anything. It's just interesting to say " Oh I can tell you 22 of our Presidents have also been Governor" or something else Trivial Pursuity.

I am saying though that the idea that the Vice Presidency is the most efficient and best way to become President is false.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 24, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Edit: Whoops. Double Post.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 24, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

moebius2778 posted:

The secretary of state is historically equally effective, until you take into account betting on something awful happening to the president.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

moebius2778 posted:

...is there any other political office with better odds? I mean, those aren't good odds, but ... it's entirely possible it's the best of a bad set of choices.

Nope. Unless you count "Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force" or similar one-offs like that.

Hollismason posted:

I just got into a long discussion about Biden and how really being Vice President is not the path to the White House people seem to think it is. Just how many Vice Presidents have become President? Only 14 over half of which were because of the President dying.

So where do people get the idea that the Vice Presidency is the path to the Presidency. Even in the last 30 years we've had 1 Vice President go on to be President and he served only 1 term.

Anyway just thought it was a interesting thing politically.

14 out of 47 Vice-Presidents went on to become President, meaning 29% of VPs eventually became Presidents one way or another. Compared to Senators and Congressmen, of whom fewer than 1% eventually became President, that's a phenomenally high number. I didn't check the numbers for total number of Governors ever, but I'd be shocked if the odds are much better than for Senators. So getting named VP increases your chances of becoming President dramatically.

Hollismason posted:

Even before that though you had 35 years of Vice Presidents either succeeding by death or resignation. There's only Bush in there.

Becoming President by death/resignation of your predecessor is a perfectly valid way of becoming President. You get all the powers of the office, after all. Worst case you get screwed out of 2 years by term limits, best case the term limit rules let you serve an extra 2 years.

Hollismason posted:

Looks to me like Governor.

22 Presidents have also been Governor so like 50%

Only 6 Presidents have also served as Secretary of State. Interesting but this is just statistics it doesn't really mean much.. just something neat and informative.

That's only half the statistic that matters - the other half is the population size. We've had 1963 Senators ever, so if 16 of them eventually became President, that's a 0.8% chance of randomly selected Senator becoming President, historically. I don't know how many Governors we've ever had, but certainly it's somewhere around a thousand or two - there's only one per state, but the terms are shorter and often term-limited. So even in the best case that's still like what, a 3% chance of a Governor eventually becoming President? Whether or not you count death/resignation accessions, the fact is that VPs are more likely to become President.

This:

Hollismason posted:

percentage chance of becoming President because of position.

is the metric most relevant to this:

Hollismason posted:

the idea that the Vice Presidency is the most efficient and best way to become President.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 24, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

Yeah, but what's the track record for billionaire real estate moguls?

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson... Pretty good I'd say.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Jackson Taus posted:

14 out of 47 Vice-Presidents went on to become President, meaning 29% of VPs eventually became Presidents one way or another. Compared to Senators and Congressmen, of whom fewer than 1% eventually became President, that's a phenomenally high number. I didn't check the numbers for total number of Governors ever, but I'd be shocked if the odds are much better than for Senators. So getting named VP increases your chances of becoming President dramatically.

I think it is reasonable to expect that a modern presidential assassination is deeply unlikely to happen, though, which changes the math somewhat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
By that logic being the President of the United states is the most dangerous job in the United States with one of the highest worker fatalities in the United States.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 24, 2015

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

evilweasel posted:

Yes. Even the HFC can tell the difference between Democrats providing the necessary votes for Ryan to become speaker and Democrats voting for him when he already has 218 Republican votes. It is a stupid idea.

It's not that they can't it's that it doesn't matter. "Supported the democrat backed Paul Ryan" primary attack ads are just waiting to be filled.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
On other topics what's the over under on Hurricane Patricia causing a influx of immigrants into the United States.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I was just wondering, how much of the 2012 GOP machine still has the keys to the whole thing? If a non-Trump gets the nod, will we once again see the pre-existing GOTV structure ripped out of all areas and replaced by one that straight up doesn't work and is centered far away and run by a buddy of the candidate? The Rove-like fantasy of "unskewing" polls only to have Nate Silver take a huge dump right on your face?

Obviously if Trump gets the nod, he's just going to do exactly that but it will be himself that he's outsourcing this work to, and unlike any other candidate from what I can tell he's actually got a ground game going so that just means things will continue as is, which is to say he's going to bite his thumb as Reince and do god only knows what.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Hollismason posted:

On other topics what's the over under on Hurricane Patricia causing a influx of immigrants into the United States.
It's not hitting a very populated area of Mexico and Mexico is actually a reasonably developed country that knows how to prep for hurricanes so I'll take the under on that

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

I think it is reasonable to expect that a modern presidential assassination is deeply unlikely to happen, though, which changes the math somewhat.

The secret service is unable to keep crazy people from running through the residency so I wouldn't take your bet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They're just lucky no white supremacist has tried the old hooker standing under a cardboard box and there's a stick holding up the box and a string attached to the stick trick. They'd basically immediately have full access to whatever official they want as the agents go all Elmer Fudd.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

I think it's too small a sample size to say for sure. I mean Reagan took a bullet center-mass, couple inches in another direction and he could've died. Truman had a famous assassination attempt turn into a shoot-out at Blair House, if the gunmen had been a bit quicker on the draw when he stuck his head out the window, he wouldn't have made it. Bin Laden almost got Clinton in 1996, but the Secret Service got tipped off and managed to re-route the convoy in time. There was also the time someone fired an automatic weapon onto the White House Lawn at what the shooter mistakenly thought was Clinton. Somebody managed to throw a live grenade at George W Bush, which fortunately didn't go off.

I'm not trying to say the Secret Service is incompetent or anything, I'm just saying that it's very easy to imagine an alternate history where we lost 3-4 Presidents in the last century due to assassins, instead of just JFK.

Also I think the odds of impeachment/resignation have also gone up a decent bit due to our more politicized environment.

Hollismason posted:

By that logic being the President of the United states is the most dangerous job in the United States with one of the highest worker fatalities in the United States.

Yes, with the obvious caveat that you've got a microscopic sample size and thus can't take such statistics too seriously.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 24, 2015

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jackson Taus posted:

Somebody managed to throw a live grenade at George W Bush, which fortunately didn't go off.

You just made me imagine a President Cheney and I don't think I will ever forgive you for this

v v v previously scouring the thought of this from my mind. still remember the shoe guy though v v v

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 24, 2015

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

You just made me imagine a President Cheney and I don't think I will ever forgive you for this

Uhhh where were you, Sleeping Beauty?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jackson Taus posted:

Somebody managed to throw a live grenade at George W Bush, which fortunately didn't go off.

If the grenade was like other objects thrown by angry Iraqis Bush would have thrown that thing back if it was live.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This is Trey Gowdy's official portrait.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Not to speak ill of the dead or anything, but is that crazy ultra-right wing lady who's been appearing on the cable news shows supposed to be Vilerat's mother or stepmother?

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

A younger Trey Gowdy?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Looks like he's wearing a yeti scalp for a hat.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mr Interweb posted:

Not to speak ill of the dead or anything, but is that crazy ultra-right wing lady who's been appearing on the cable news shows supposed to be Vilerat's mother or stepmother?

Mother, yes.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

Mother

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The hell? That's really weird then cause she keeps claiming that the state department wouldn't give her any info cause she's not his "immediate family".

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mr Interweb posted:

The hell? That's really weird then cause she keeps claiming that the state department wouldn't give her any info cause she's not his "immediate family".

My understanding is that Vilerat's wife counted as his "immediate family." And since his mother was somewhat estranged from him because of his choice of wife... Well, you get the picture.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Holy poo poo. The War on Drugs might actually be working!

quote:

Federal authorities have confiscated shipments of a lethal-injection chemical that Arizona and Texas tried to bring in from abroad, saying such imports are illegal — a move that compounds the nation's severe shortage of execution drugs.

The Food and Drug Administration said Friday that it impounded orders of sodium thiopental, an anesthetic that has been used in past executions in combination with drugs that paralyze the muscles and stop the heart. The anesthetic currently has no legal uses in the U.S.

"Courts have concluded that sodium thiopental for the injection in humans is an unapproved drug and may not be imported into the country," FDA spokesman Jeff Ventura said in a statement.

Arizona paid nearly $27,000 for the sodium thiopental, which federal agents intercepted when it arrived at the Phoenix airport in July, according to documents obtained by The Associated Press.

(http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/10/23/us/ap-us-arizona-execution-drugs.html?_r=0)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

My understanding is that Vilerat's wife counted as his "immediate family." And since his mother was somewhat estranged from him because of his choice of wife... Well, you get the picture.

Ah okay, that makes a bit more sense at least.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Trabisnikof posted:

Holy poo poo. The War on Drugs might actually be working!
The Obama administration can't federally outlaw the death penalty but I really admire how much of a pain in the rear end they've made it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
had someone tell me we should have the Death Penalty because it helps prosecutors get plea deals

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hollismason posted:

had someone tell me we should have the Death Penalty because it helps prosecutors get plea deals

Lawmakers in my state abolished it in a mindblowing display of intellectual consistency - taking away the power of the government to kill people is still taking power away from the government, and that of life and death at that.

Sure enough though, someone let the loving cockroaches loose and now there's a petition to have it put to a referendum. Literally wolves and a sheep deciding on what's for dinner.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I at first misunderstood them. We were in class and i asked what she was working on for her paper and she said something like " The Death Penalty and Plea Bargaining" and I was like " Yes, it can create situations where if faced with death even if innocent someone may plea guilty" and she was like " Yea it's good ".

O_o

I have to take this required class for my program and it's just like the most insane group of people like " Mandatory Military Service, Death Penalty, Ethics are derived from law. "

I swear to god Someone actually said " Well if you don't pay fire insurance or you are late and your house is on fire then they should just let it burn" " Well what if there are children inside?" " That's not the firefighters responsibility because the parents didn't pay for insurance"

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 24, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I swear to god Someone actually said " Well if you don't pay fire insurance or you are late and your house is on fire then they should just let it burn" " Well what if there are children inside?" " That's not the firefighters responsibility because the parents didn't pay for insurance"
This is literally how privatized fire departments work

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Hollismason posted:

look crassus was a good role-model alright

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

"They put water out on the fence line out here. They never said nothing to me. Never acknowledged. They stood out here and watched it burn," Cranick said.

EDIT: And a year later...

Firefighters came out. Bell said, “9-1-1 said they were in fact dispatched and they showed that they were on the scene.” But once on the scene, they only watched. “You could look out my mom’s trailer and see the trucks sitting at a distance,” Bell said. For Bell, that sight was almost as disturbing as the fire itself. “We just wished we could’ve gotten more out,” Bell said.

EDITx2: And you will be unsurprised to learn that the usual crowd applauded the fire department in question when it happened...

"In this case, critics of the fire department are confused both about right and wrong and about Christianity. And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

"And it goes nowhere if you go onto “compassion, compassion, compassion, compassion” or well, “they should’ve put it out, what is the fire department for?” […] If you don’t pay the 75 dollars then that hurts the fire department. They can’t use those resources, and you’d be spongeing off your neighbor’s resources. […] It’s important for America to have this debate. This is the kind of stuff that’s going to have to happen, we are going to have to have these kinds of things."

Oh, and it's about as close to the child case as you can get. Cranick lost three dogs and a cat.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 24, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
"Muscular Christian values" would be a great name for...something, I dunno what exactly,

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Lol muscular christian virtues

e;f,b

I'VE GOT SOME MUSCULAR CHRISTIAN VIRTUES FOR YOU BROTHA

GONNA GIVE YOU THE BIBLE THUMPER

-The Evangelist, pro wrestler

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

"a feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer values, like compassion"

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I may physically be overweight and out of shape, but Christian values are muscular, strong, and impresses people I mingle with (of the opposite sex).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Magres posted:

Lol muscular christian virtues

e;f,b

I'VE GOT SOME MUSCULAR CHRISTIAN VIRTUES FOR YOU BROTHA

GONNA GIVE YOU THE BIBLE THUMPER

-The Evangelist, pro wrestler

• Locked thread