Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Northwest and make sure our troops are recording everything for later analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This place is creepy. Just kill everything and get out fast.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Northwest, Shas'o. The greater good may call us to sacrifice our lives in battle, but we should never sacrifice our soldiers to laziness or neglect. We've come this far fighting together. :black101:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Northwest! The Kroot may get infested if they consume Chaos flesh so we'll need Gregory to do the eating for them, being an end of the evolutionary line and all.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Gregory :colbert:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If we deploy Gregory I think we will need to deploy a significant number of Kroot Shapers as well. I wouldn't want him to get ill and the shapers can direct him away from the real flesh-dissolving stuff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Which is super silly because it should do jack-poo poo to them in the first place.

The intro cinematic at least shows it killing only pariahs, which is vaguely reasonable. At least as I play them, Necron vehicles are designed as fast-moving support units for their powerful but slow infantry, and this is original recipe Necrons so they don't have any kind of APC unit. Neither solution, timing footsloggers through the pulse or relying on spyders and destroyers, is ideal.

Tau would be my pick for having the easiest go of this map, especially Mont'ka.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If I remember correctly, Eldar get a jumping APC - you don't even realize the gimmick is there as them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

If I remember correctly, Eldar get a jumping APC - you don't even realize the gimmick is there as them.

They do, and the Tau were planned to have one. Apparently if you mod the game to give the Devilfish jump jets it has a built-in voice line for it talking about vertical fans going active.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cythereal posted:

The intro cinematic at least shows it killing only pariahs, which is vaguely reasonable. At least as I play them, Necron vehicles are designed as fast-moving support units for their powerful but slow infantry, and this is original recipe Necrons so they don't have any kind of APC unit. Neither solution, timing footsloggers through the pulse or relying on spyders and destroyers, is ideal.

Tau would be my pick for having the easiest go of this map, especially Mont'ka.

Imp Guard has a pretty easy go. Mind you, I play them as an almost entirely vehicle team. Turtle up, build your base, then send legions of tanks towards your enemies. Your infantry ride in Chimeras and are protected. Also, once you start setting up other buildings, you can just teleport your Guardsmen around the map. The blood pulses never become an issue.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

goatface posted:

If we deploy Gregory I think we will need to deploy a significant number of Kroot Shapers as well. I wouldn't want him to get ill and the shapers can direct him away from the real flesh-dissolving stuff.

This is a suicide mission for the Kroot deployed to it. Shapers are being deployed, not because they're worried about evolutionary dead-ends like Gregory, but because any normal Kroot that eats Chaos flesh is to be executed.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

habituallyred posted:

oh firecaste, there never was a field recording or even any 'chaos' forces on kronus at all
, the ethereal says levelly, gently stroking your face

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Tau are now getting a proper turret in the tabletop.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

look at the little blue googly eyes it has its adorable

cutest turret ever

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

and yo turret look like a trash can

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Dr. Snark posted:

cutest turret ever

does it retract when it's scared

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

look at the little blue googly eyes it has its adorable

cutest turret ever

Still giving the award to the Portal turret.

"I don't blame you."

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

MOE~

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The placement of the red Tau logo and that line beneath it make it look like a terrible clown face.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That has to be intentional. It's literally :3:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
This is further proof that the Tau have been infiltrated by poo poo-designers to hold them back. Why do you open up the whole top so it can be shot into from the sides and rear?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

R2D-Turret is the best

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It reminds me of the bottom-right kommando in this picture.

...for that matter, do we know that that's really a Tau turret?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

It reminds me of the bottom-right kommando in this picture.

...for that matter, do we know that that's really a Tau turret?

What kommando?

All I see in that picture is a space marine, a garbage bin, a shrub, some tires, and a couple barrels.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chiasaur11 posted:

What kommando?

All I see in that picture is a space marine, a garbage bin, a shrub, some tires, and a couple barrels.

He's trying to troll you

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He's trying to troll ork you

fixed

Do trolls even exist in the 40k setting?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

As grotz yeah.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Some Tau videos for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPXFAiWbQ9g
The Ghostkeel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2HbIDHBn3U
The Stormsurge

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

At the end of the day, they are what makes it happen. They are their factions' military might.

They are why we can say...

Victory.
Comms traffic has been unusually quiet lately. Orbital scans suggested the area Shas'O Kais led a battle group into was some kind of headquarters and staging ground for a particularly deranged group of humans, but was not especially well defended. At the very least, the terrain was open enough that we should have been able to take great advantage of our superior range to burn down most resistance before it became a threat, and Kais had requisitioned Gregory to deal with short-ranged threats as well.

It's still premature, but given that Kais's forces went silent immediately after starting a raid on some sort of unholy ritual site to rescue a captured cadre, we can no longer completely dismiss these gue'la tales of extradimensional monsters from this so-called "immaterium".

While extended periods of comms silence itself aren't enough to draw any conclusions, the fact that our Earth Caste advisors and researchers are unusually reluctant to say much about this 'warp' phenomenon suggests that normal comms discipline may not be the entire story.

Begin preparations to launch a recon-in-force and have medevac-equipped Orcas standing by. At this point, it's just a precaution, but some of the stories our gue'la auxiliaries tell about these Chaos madmen are pretty wild - if there is some sort of threat our analysts missed, this could potentially jeopardize our bringing the Greater Good to this world.

Edit:

hard counter posted:

The Stormsurge
Careful, you're getting some Mechwarrior in my 40K.

Pops fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 23, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Leave no good soldier behind - Northwest, toward the prisoners of war. After that, we can circle around to disable the timed pulses with renewed numbers.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, we really need to give Gregory the chance to duel a bloodthirster. Northwest.

habituallyred posted:

Okay, cool. Sounds good. Just hold, there's something I need to do.
We await your orders, O'Kais.

Any word yet?
No.
Huh. I think the War Council is getting restless.

O'Kais? Are you still in your room?
Yeah, yeah, whaddaya want? I'm busy.
The War Council is getting impatient and are taking matters into their own hands:

Pops posted:

Comms traffic has been unusually quiet lately. Orbital scans suggested the area Shas'O Kais led a battle group into was some kind of headquarters and staging ground for a particularly deranged group of humans, but was not especially well defended. At the very least, the terrain was open enough that we should have been able to take great advantage of our superior range to burn down most resistance before it became a threat, and Kais had requisitioned Gregory to deal with short-ranged threats as well.

It's still premature, but given that Kais's forces went silent immediately after starting a raid on some sort of unholy ritual site to rescue a captured cadre, we can no longer completely dismiss these gue'la tales of extradimensional monsters from this so-called "immaterium".

While extended periods of comms silence itself aren't enough to draw any conclusions, the fact that our Earth Caste advisors and researchers are unusually reluctant to say much about this 'warp' phenomenon suggests that normal comms discipline may not be the entire story.

Begin preparations to launch a recon-in-force and have medevac-equipped Orcas standing by. At this point, it's just a precaution, but some of the stories our gue'la auxiliaries tell about these Chaos madmen are pretty wild - if there is some sort of threat our analysts missed, this could potentially jeopardize our bringing the Greater Good to this world.

Oh, crud. Uh, uh, hold on, I'm almost done, I swear.
What are you doing in there?!
That's classified! Return to the front, soldier. I'll be there shortly.
Uh, okay, Shas'o.
Good.

Okay, he's gone.

Steadwick is yours no longer, General Kendal! Hahaha! You should've never let yourself be tempted by the resources at the Windmill.

Although your forces and skill are superior to mine, your tactical acumen is inferior. I would've never left the castle walls for something as inconsequential as 5 units of Gems.

Ha, that's it?! That's all you've left to defend your most important stronghold? For shame. I'm not even attacking with my most powerful Hero.

Your defenses only prolong the inevitable.

Wish my Heroes with "Implode" were closer, but hey, I'll work with what spells I have.

Time to feed the dragons.

YES! YES! gently caress YES! FINALLY! IT'S DONE!

OH ETHEREALS, WHY IS THIS LEVEL SO FRUSTRATING!? SCREW ARBITRARY TIME LIMITS IN VIDEO GAMES!

Alright, I don't what that score means, but I'm sure it must be good. That was a drat excellent capture.

Wait, what? This is crap! I should have a much better score! Who is this "Blind Sally"? I swear, I shall destroy them

O'Kais, seriously, there's a Bloodthirster just outside our base.
Oh, for crying out--yes, yes, I'm coming. Okay, let's head northwest and take that Relic.

We tried sending a Drone Swarm against them, but it was no good. They're immune to the blood pulse weapon, but their Demon units tear them apart.

Okay, let's try this: load up some troops into a pair of Devilfish. We'll sneak troops across these blood pulse weapons and to the prisoners of war.

No good, Shas'o. This land bridge is literally clogged with Heretics. We can't get the Devilfish past. They're getting detected and destroyed.
Ugh, fine. All Tau guns bring to bear on the Bloodthirster. Remove it from the field.

Good riddance. Now we're getting somewhere. Capture these points. Let's get to the prisoners. Send Harbinger drones to the Chaos Advance Base to hold off their reinforcements.
Consider it done.

O'Kais, I have joined the battlefield.
Uh, oh, hey, Aun'el.
Do not let yourself be distracted by my presence. I'm just here to ensure all audio/visual records of our encounter with these Gue'la are destroyed.
Uh, right, okay. Whatever you think's best.

That's it, O'Kais! Just up the hill. We wipe out the Gue'la here and we save our compatriots.

Say, what's that one doing?

Oh, come on!

Run! Run! Up the hill! Let's go, let's go! Get the POWs out of there!

They're out, we have back-up!
Shas'o, thank goodness! These Gue'la have killed many of our number in bizarre rituals.
Just--uh, forget everything you saw. None of this is happening.
I, I'm sorry?
You were poorly fed while imprisoned. You experienced some frightening hallucinations induced by hunger, that's all. Now, quick, let's kill these Gue'la and move on.

Ha! Not so tough, are we? Our tech beats your tech!
"Tech"? By the Ethereals, no! The Bloodthirsters are monstrous products or horrific blood magic--
Gonna stop you right there, soldier. Just cause you had some bad dreams doesn't mean you need to go around scaring the rest of the rank and file. You keep that nonsense to yourself. If you're still worried when we get back to base, you can talk to an Ethereal.

The Relic is ours. Radio the base, ask them to bring in Gregory.
With pleasure.

The Harbinger Drones were having little effect, so we released Kroot Hounds into the Chaos Forward Base. It's crumbling as we speak.

In fact, we should have our Earth Caste Drones in there setting up a new Cadre HQ right about--

--now.

Okay, well that wasn't so bad. Not sure why Aun'el is so concerned about these pathetic Gue'la.
O'Kais, there are only two real choices now: Take your forces north and destroy the Chaos base, or dismantle their support systems to the east. We're mostly past all the blood pulse beacons, so it's not a big concern. However, if we want, we can head east and capture the Strategic Point, we can disable it entirely. If we want, we can also take out the second Chaos Forward Base even further east. However, our Broadsides have proven more than capable of holding off any potential attack on our main base--besides, Aun'el is there overseeing the defenses.
I'll leave the choice up to the War Council.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Gah!

Oh crap the Tau are on the move again.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

gently caress it let's just go north and put an end to their ritual poo poo. Gregory can spearhead it. No need to prolong it.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
North to finish this. Also every time I try to install that game in the Path to Enlightenment public computers they tell me no. Something about it being, "worse than a virus for computer productivity."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Kendal is such a dick. I'm fairly sure it is possible to beat him but it'd probably require Armageddon abuse and I honestly never cared enough to do it.
Oh yeah, and bloodthirster ante portas or something.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
North. Don't want too many people getting bamboozled by their inferior but hazardous tech.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

anilEhilated posted:

Kendal is such a dick. I'm fairly sure it is possible to beat him but it'd probably require Armageddon abuse and I honestly never cared enough to do it.
Oh yeah, and bloodthirster ante portas or something.

Oh, yeah, it's possible. Play either the Nighon or Eeofol mission long enough to grind up 8 heroes to level twelve. Take those eight into the Steadwick assault. Systematically wipe out all enemy strongholds surrounding Steadwick. Build up enough armies so that all your heroes can stand more than two or three rounds against Kendall. Make sure all heroes get "Implosion". Keep saving up resources until the last week. Wait for Kendall to hide behind the castle walls. Commence attack.

Use your weaker heroes to soften up Kendall's Marksmen and Zealots by Imploding them relentlessly. You'll lose a bunch of your heroes, but hey, Kendall won't rebuild his forces, so that's fine. You won't have to worry about his ground troops too much because the AI tends to keep them behind the walls as long as they're still intact--thus laying siege to Steadwick is easier than attacking Kendall in the open. Save your strongest two armies (those sourced from your Dungeon and Inferno) for last. By that point, Kendall will be weakened enough to fall.

Hopefully.

I've played HOMM3 way too much, and as much as I love replaying it, the thought of facing General Kendall again gives me chills.

Black Dragons and Armageddon abuse could probably work, too, but Kendall's forces can easily eat through a stack of even the most powerful creatures, so I always thought it was too much of a risk.

Sally fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 24, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I remember beating him fair and square, but I don't remember how. :shobon:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Black Balloon posted:

gently caress it let's just go north and put an end to their ritual poo poo. Gregory can spearhead it. No need to prolong it.

habituallyred posted:

North to finish this. Also every time I try to install that game in the Path to Enlightenment public computers they tell me no. Something about it being, "worse than a virus for computer productivity."

AJ_Impy posted:

North. Don't want too many people getting bamboozled by their inferior but hazardous tech.

Yeah, for sure, let's put these incompetent Gue'la down.

The Chaos Heretics keep using stealth. It's annoying. They're not really hurting us or anything, but we can't kill'em unless we keep a detector unit nearby.
See the faith of my crusaders. They will cleanse you of your disbelief.

Ah, ignore'em. Push onto the portal.

Their defenses are crumbling before us.
Yes, drive back my warriors. I have many more. Many more.

Their vehicle crumple like tin before our Kroot heavy infantry.
Our fates are all written in the Warp and yours is death.

Their base is just up ahead. It looks well-defended...
Only I can hear your prayers here, my friend, and I'm afraid I will not answer them.
Do you hear a buzzing in your comms again? I hear a buzzing in my comms.

Two-pronged attack: Fire Warriors take the western entrance, Kroot auxiliaries take the eastern entrance.

Huh, that's a lot of bullets. Hold fast, Kroot!
My legion will burn your false idols to ash. Chaos cannot be denied.

Yes, come to your death, aliens! Heh. Uh, those are a lot of aliens.
Use your words, Eliphas! Like a big boy.

Uh, time to hide.
Really? Hey, where's he going?

*sigh* Shas'o, they're doing that thing again.
Toss grenades. We can't target them directly, but we can blow them away.

Hey, yeah, that works. Great!

By the books, people, send in Drone swarms.

Crud, they're sending in their little robot things and we don't have any more Demons to shut them down.
SMASH THEM! FOR KHORNE!
That would be a better sentiment if we had enough troops to smash them with.

Who designed this base? An idiot?
Oh, shut up!

Hey, Eliphas, your big portal thing is falling down!
Screw you, xeno!
What's that? I can't hear you!

No, no, no, nooo!

That's it, O'Kais.

Well that wasn't so hard. Where did Eliphas go? Oh! There he is. Oh, shh, shh! Everyone pull back. Looks like there's going to be some drama!

They reject the Word of Chaos, my lord. The faithful here are not strong enough--
Boo, don't put this on us!
Quiet!

It is a poor shepherd who blames his flock, Apostle. This failure is yours and yours alone!
Ha!
Suck it down!
That's right, Eliphas, this on you, man, all on you!
Will you shut up! Why are you still here?
Hey man, we're not leaving just because you're having a moment. We blew up your space portal fair and square, we wanna see the fallout. Deal with it.

*sigh* Look, I am not going back to the Basilica of Torments again!
They're gonna send you to the Basilica of Suck instead!
drat, you tell'im, O'Kais!

Fear not, Apostle. The Basilica is reserved for those who may redeem themselves.
Sheeeeeit!
Eliphas just got told!
Sick burn, big alien fella!

Say, what's he doing?

No, NO!!!

You will have no such chance.

Uh--
What are we seeing?

:stare:
*huff* *huff* Hello, everyone, I got here as soon as I could! The comms have been buggy so I've had a really hard time getting through to you since you went off to approach the Chaos base. Now, I know what I'm about to ask might sound difficult, but I need you all to take this base without looking at anything. Like, just close your eyes and shoot. We're Tau, so your optics should be able to compensate for your lack of vision.

Uh, hello? Guys? What are you looking at?

Oooooh, crud. So, hey, who want's to talk about what they did and did not see? Let's get everyone back to the Cadre HQ, nice and slowly now, we'll get you out of those stuffy battlesuits and have a nice little talk. Oh, and liquidate every Kroot that went on this campaign.
Sorry, what was that?
Everything will be fine!

Huh, well, funny story War Council: my forces and I beat the Chaos HQ and have no memory of it! It's the strangest thing! It's almost like every Tau and Vespid that went on the mission had their memory wiped. Oh, and all that weird comm interference seemed to have wiped the memories of all the Drones we brought in. Oh, and every Kroot that joined us on that mission is now dead. An unfortunate series of circumstances, but hey. We've been fighting a long war. We were bound to lose track of some time.

Aaaanyways, we need to figure out where to go next. The Imperial Guard and Gorgutz's Ork Waaaugh! are still threats to our domination. That said, there are still remnants of Thule's Space Marines and--uh, those other Gue'la, the Chaos ones...what was the name of their leader? I just had it on the tip of my tongue, I swear--hmm, nevermind. I leave the decision of our next target up to the War Council.

Sally fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 25, 2015

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Take out the Orks. If you've been having memory issues, taking out an enemy that doesn't think may be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

AJ_Impy posted:

Take out the Orks. If you've been having memory issues, taking out an enemy that doesn't think may be helpful.

This.

• Locked thread