Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Woulda been cool to get more tapes about the state of the world than the outrageous bullshit of an old man saying parasites are the reason man can talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I've read before that the eye pattern appears as a response to when Quiet and Code Talker receive a surge of emotion.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Grimace posted:

I've read before that the eye pattern appears as a response to when Quiet and Code Talker receive a surge of emotion.

This is true. In the guide there's a quote from Kojima about it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I hated that they explained the Cobras' powers

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

setafd posted:

I hated that they explained the Cobras' powers

It was in the cards though since they went to great length to explain Foxhound, Dead Cell and the B&Bs in MGS4.

I like that the explanation is stupider than calling it magic, but it isn't delivered well. Too much of Codetalker talking to himself.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 23, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Donnerberg posted:

It was in the cards though since they went to great length to explain Foxhound, Dead Cell and the B&Bs in MGS4.

I like that the explanation is stupider than calling it magic, but it isn't delivered well. Too much of Codetalker talking to himself.

I love that Fortune's final bullshit redirecting the missile is still up in the air.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

imo it was saved by the fact that the Pain's power was looked at and declared too ridiculous to ever understand

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Fargin Icehole posted:

Woulda been cool to get more tapes about the state of the world than the outrageous bullshit of an old man saying parasites are the reason man can talk.

Outrageous bullshit is the cornerstone of the MGS experience.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
this is random and off topic but imaqtpie is primarily a league of legends streamer, and hes been playing through mgs v on his stream during his queues. whats his take on the end of mgs v?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTWgzZUPo90

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
They never said anything about the Fury. He's still an angry astronaut so that's good

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Volgin's electricity is still unexplained too. I love that his post coma fire zombie powers are explained, but not his electricity.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fire is the Lightning transformed

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I had the impression all the Cobras and Volgin were full of parasites. That's why the Cobras explode on death. Because parasites explode. Nature.

Volgin, Skull Face and Quiet all go through death by fire and come out the other end alive thanks to parasites.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
They were just supernatural. The Sorrow was loving dead, parasites don't make people into ghosts.

The "everything is nanomachines" poo poo only applies to the Solid Snake games.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

I had the impression all the Cobras and Volgin were full of parasites. That's why the Cobras explode on death. Because parasites explode. Nature.

Volgin, Skull Face and Quiet all go through death by fire and come out the other end alive thanks to parasites.

The COBRAs all had dead-man switches, which was a lazy getout for no-kill runs imo but quite evident all the same. Also no one says VOCAL CORD PARAISTES or WOLBACHIA once in MGS3, you don't have to let future retcons spoil your enjoyment of old games

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
So did the Cobra unit contract the parasites separately or when they were a unit? And before the Cobra unit there were just some undiscovered parasites around?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

K8.0 posted:

They were just supernatural. The Sorrow was loving dead, parasites don't make people into ghosts.

The "everything is nanomachines" poo poo only applies to the Solid Snake games.

This guy gets it. Also, as much as I hated the nanomachines retconning in MGS4 it was almost worth it for Armstrong in MGR, even if the internet has run him completely into the ground

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Cobras exploded on death/KO to make sure that they couldn't be captured and interrogated for information or could otherwise be used to compromise their country.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

senator armstrong owns no matter if you've submerged yourself in horrible nerds

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So i finally beat it. what the gently caress was skullfaces motivation for going after zero and snake. I sorta get him going after zero, He doesn't want an english dominated world/ some weird liberterian, "boohoo i never had a face or a language because transylvania got buttfucked by 12 different nations so i killed Stalin". but what the gently caress did snake do to him. or is that the point he didnt do anything to him and he was just zeros favorite.

also you dont fight XOF directly enough. like only twice. that's bullshit. I get that it supposed to be super secret cipher attack force and it works through proxies and mercs, but i want some more medic snake on xof action.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So i finally beat it. what the gently caress was skullfaces motivation for going after zero and snake. I sorta get him going after zero, He doesn't want an english dominated world/ some weird liberterian, "boohoo i never had a face or a language because transylvania got buttfucked by 12 different nations so i killed Stalin". but what the gently caress did snake do to him. or is that the point he didnt do anything to him and he was just zeros favorite.

also you dont fight XOF directly enough. like only twice. that's bullshit. I get that it supposed to be super secret cipher attack force and it works through proxies and mercs, but i want some more medic snake on xof action.

Zero it's because Skullface really is sick and tired of being in the shadows and wants to be the boss. Zero had gone into hiding, and Cipher as an organization was crumbling.

Snake is more or less an opportune target. Paz was one of the few people to meet Zero in person. Also, by taking out Snake, he could see about flushing Zero out.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Dapper_Swindler posted:

every answer you could get based on this bullshit game is gonna be wrong because skull face is probably revolver ocelot or something. WHO KNOWS

PS there's multiple clues indicating that you're seeing the world mirrored (like SGOD DNOMAID in Shining Lights and Paz Zone, arms reversed in the intro, POWs closing their left eye, and the use of the PC-6001 version of Portopia which has a screen to swap your red and blue channels unlike the MSX rom), so every time you saw XOF it probably really says FOX.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
seeking NY goons for a sneaking mission/B&E

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

you're developing schizophrenia

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
*cultivating

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

diamond dog posted:

every answer you could get based on this bullshit game is gonna be wrong because skull face is probably revolver ocelot or something. WHO KNOWS

PS there's multiple clues indicating that you're seeing the world mirrored (like SGOD DNOMAID in Shining Lights and Paz Zone, arms reversed in the intro, POWs closing their left eye, and the use of the PC-6001 version of Portopia which has a screen to swap your red and blue channels unlike the MSX rom), so every time you saw XOF it probably really says FOX.

Mirrors are more fun than television.

I don't know if it was posted yet, but VideoGameDunkey has a new MGSV video

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 24, 2015

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what is this poo poo about mirrored stuff

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Venom stares at a mirror in the bookending cutscenes.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Is there a working Quiet mod for the latest patch yet?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Skull Face wants to use the parasites and nukes to destroy globalisation and have rigidly defined borders that are never crossed under penalty of total destruction in order to preserve culture and language from being taken over by English/Americanisation.
Zero wants to unite all nations into one big nation thats ruled by an old white guy where everyone is the same, speaks the same language and does what he says. Skull Face wants to stop this from happening obviously.
Snake has already successfully brought the idea of a world with no borders into existence, all his soldiers live together sharing language and culture. This is essentially the ideological opposition of Skull Face's desire for the future so it must be destroyed.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

setafd posted:

what is this poo poo about mirrored stuff

IRL they did a thing where people wore mirrored goggles that flip their vision. Within a few days your brain compensates and things look normal again. They could even read and one dude rode a motorcycle.

There's a bunch of things that seem to be trying to tell you that you're seeing everything backwards.
  • The animation when you put away the scope seems to show you were holding it over your right, eyepatched eye.
  • There are several text labels in the game that are mirrored, notably in Paz's room and the "QUARANTIN" platform.
  • There's an English-speaking POW in Eli's mission who clams up once you find her, but stares at you with her left eye closed. She opens it once you pick her up.
  • The PC-6001 version of Portopia, which is hidden in the scene with that mirror, has this screen: . The MSX version does not have this so I think it might be the reason they used this particular rom. Apparently whatever monitors PC-6001 users had, the software couldn't be sure whether the red and blue channels needed swapping, and this screen allows the player to choose. In this game red and blue are together in two places: red/blue demon symbolism in cutscenes, and the left/right helicopter lights.
  • My favourite one is the crawling section in the intro, which if you watch closely maybe indicates the wrong hand is missing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpO2rk2PPE0&t=1170s
    • 19:00 your dude starts pulling himself forward with his right arm and doesn't move real fast.
    • 20:40 tries to pull himself onto a chair with his right hand, slips off immediately. Uses his elbow instead, kinda works.
    • At 20:24 in this video you can see that while crawling he's putting his weight on his right wrist, rather than the hand.
    • 23:07 same type of chair, this time with his phantom hand: works first try, but then a dumb fake explosion out of nowhere blasts you off.
    • from 23:20, your right arm is dislocated so he tries crawling with the left and immediately moves much faster.
    • 23:35 you apparently get to your feet by putting your weight on your phantom hand. This stood out at me the first time I played because the rest of the animation in this section is excellent but this part looks odd.
Maybe the world isn't flipped, maybe it's just all pointing at you being hypnotised to think the wrong hand is missing, or something. But you do have a giant thing attached to your optic nerve and when I googled optic nerve crossover it seems red/blue is the left/right convention there too. None of this is conclusive but I'm P. Sure something is up.

It's probably pointing at you being Kaz: the way his left hand melds into your right when you shoot Skull Face makes too much sense if your right is really your left. Yeah he talks a bunch in cutscenes but it could be a fight club thing, or a hologram, or maybe every cutscene just plays in your head via the horn and you're really just running around empty bases shooting at phantoms and muttering to yourself.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
All of a sudden the camera zooms out to show Snake listening to EVA's tape in the aftermath of Operation Snake Eater, holding a snowglobe with what appears to be Mother Base inside...

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Does anyone know if there is a specific reason why/anything I can do about my supply drops coming in faster? I am trying to hit Pyscho Mantis in the MoF fight in Voices in order to get all the objectives, but my supply drop lands the split second after PM disappears, and they just land on Volgin on Fire as he gets up. I have seen several YT vids of people pulling it off, but their supply drops seem to come in faster--if for not other reason, then because it actually works for them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Isnt it the support team level that affects that stuff?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Well you can increase the speed of your drops by increasing the level of your Support team.

Or, use an LMG to hit Mantis. You'll miss a bunch and probably have to stun Volgin twice to do it but you'll eventually hit Mantis with a bullet.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

diamond dog posted:

IRL they did a thing where...

You're insane hth

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

The simplest way to know the twist in this game is that there isn't one conversation about how to use boxes in a warzone. No true member of the Snake family would pass up the chance to lecture on the tactical use of the c box.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I'll try the LMG method, since my support team is level 86 and it's sort of hard to grind up from there (plus I am trying the MoF fright now and don't have any good support guys to steal available, yadda yadda). Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm a little slow on the draw when it comes to calling it in.

Edit: LMG method worked just fine. Lost a decent amount of GMP (and time) with that, but hey, I got it.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 25, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Modest Mao posted:

You're insane hth

Yeah but consider this: an NPC in a random mission winked at him. Venom and Kaz held a gun together to shoot Skull Face, so clearly Venom is actually Kaz but the entirety of MGSV has been Twilight Princess'd to hide this secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Zombie Raptor posted:

I'll try the LMG method, since my support team is level 86 and it's sort of hard to grind up from there (plus I am trying the MoF fright now and don't have any good support guys to steal available, yadda yadda). Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm a little slow on the draw when it comes to calling it in.

It might be because that's more than high enough to hit Mantis. That's like double the level fo what I was expecting your support team to be.

• Locked thread