Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I really don't get it. Did they just standardize on an exhaust and emissions equipment and then just tune down the engine to meet individual countries standards? It's gotta be something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

No. 6 posted:

I just checked and the EU and AUS versions are 160 or 215 with sport kit. US version is 100hp and JP version is a laughable 70hp! At least JP can get the sport kit.

Yes, you can probably piece the sport kit together yourself in the US, but why the hell should you need to?

From the videos it doesn't seem like the sport kit is something you can put together easily. Involves a lot of high performance race parts that need to be installed (i.e. pistons and crankshaft), stuff that not everyone would want to do on a 200k motorcycle.

Spiffness posted:

I really don't get it. Did they just standardize on an exhaust and emissions equipment and then just tune down the engine to meet individual countries standards? It's gotta be something like that.

I don't see any other reason for the downtune.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Barnsy posted:

From the videos it doesn't seem like the sport kit is something you can put together easily. Involves a lot of high performance race parts that need to be installed (i.e. pistons and crankshaft), stuff that not everyone would want to do on a 200k motorcycle.

Psh. I would totally do that poo poo. And if I hosed it up, I would just call my personal mechanic.

"Hey Gary, it's me again.
No, it just won't start; I have no idea why.
Yes, I put the crankshaft back in!"

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Coydog posted:

This is why I swore off hitting the mountains on weekends between 8am-3pm. Even outside of leaf season, it's nothing but slow moving trains of the same kind of car or motorcycle as enthusiast groups pretend to have fun in a slow moving wagon train through the best roads.

1. Move to Colorado where there are tons of mountain roads
2. Work on your playing-chicken-with-oncoming-traffic-while-passing-across-a-DY skills

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
1. I wish.
2. On the SV? fine. On the 250? Not unless I'm on a downhill.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coydog posted:

1. I wish.
2. On the SV? fine. On the 250? Not unless I'm on a downhill.

Psst, I got a GS500e.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Coredump posted:

Psst, I got a GS500e.

No replacement for displacement.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

No replacement for displacement.

Every 400ccs adds three inches. Now that I've got the zrex my junk is Almost convex

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Every 400ccs adds three inches. Now that I've got the zrex my junk is Almost convex

So a harley puts you at full ouroboros?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

No, it gives me an angry inch.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Slavvy posted:

As a Harley owner I can say that it works like a photoshopped dick. Girls think you're the poo poo at motorcycles and anything else you do until they find out you've ridden all but 1800 miles and have all your work done by the dealer.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

So some guy was going slow in the fog, presumably because his window was getting extra fog and he didn't activate his wipers; I go to pass him and he guns it. This is the near miss that occurs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJf8sSQlQzQ

Wide angle lens deceives, I could've slapped either vehicle's mirror.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What did he do wrong again, exactly? Looked like you diddled around instead of passing with authority.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
You were 3 seconds behind the car, then moved into oncoming traffic, then accelerated to pass. You probably should not have even attempted the pass with oncoming traffic that close.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

EX250 Type R posted:

You were 3 seconds behind the car, then moved into oncoming traffic, then accelerated to pass. You probably should not have even attempted the pass with oncoming traffic that close.

Too far behind to pass, not accelerating hard enough. That could have ended really badly.

e: I'm just saying that next time try not to pass a car you're miles behind by moving into oncoming traffic and revving the 250 to 6 grand.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 24, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Your riding is unsafe.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yup.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Learn how to pass or compensate for your lack of skill with a bigger bike retard

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Maybe lurk more, too.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Yeah dude, that was entirely on you.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Razzled posted:

compensate for your lack of skill with a bigger bike retard
This is the real answer. Maybe a super duke?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

EX250 Type R posted:

Probably scared the poo poo out of the oncoming SUV driver more than anything. You can see he has to go over the white line towards the edge of the road on the other side. I hope he has a dash cam and uploads a response video.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Guys, he was dealing with some cagers here, no need to give him such a hard time. Don't you know it's us against them out there?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Verge posted:

So some guy was going slow in the fog, presumably because his window was getting extra fog and he didn't activate his wipers; I go to pass him and he guns it. This is the near miss that occurs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJf8sSQlQzQ

You are lucky to be alive and should probably never do that again. Wow.

My favorite part was that you went for the right turn lane immediately afterwards and probably could have avoided the whole scenario if you just stayed behind the "cager" for an extra 15 seconds.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Verge posted:

How much do you love being a victim? Get a life.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That was cringe-inducing to watch, loving hell.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

theperminator posted:

How big is the sports bike market for people other than manchildren? Sportsbikes are a toy

The "motorcycles are toys and not transportation" attitude is the reason why the USA doesn't get all the cool smaller bikes the rest of the world gets though, or at least why we hadn't until the last few years.

If motorcycles were taken more seriously as transportation we'd have a shot at expanding things like lane splitting laws nationwide as well...

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Does this happen to anyone else?

Stop at a marked crosswalk for pedestrians because people are crossing the road. Cars drive around you and through the pedestrians.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Giblet Plus! posted:

Stop at a marked crosswalk for pedestrians because people are crossing the road. Cars drive around you and through the pedestrians.

Do the cars say "taxi" on the side?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Giblet Plus! posted:

That's a new one for me I've gotta say.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
drat that was a dogpile, I was taking it easy on you Verge

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The "motorcycles are toys and not transportation" attitude is the reason why the USA doesn't get all the cool smaller bikes the rest of the world gets though, or at least why we hadn't until the last few years.

If motorcycles were taken more seriously as transportation we'd have a shot at expanding things like lane splitting laws nationwide as well...

I casually clicked into some blog post the other day titled "why motorcycles aren't practical as cheap transport". I could tell it was written by an American because the first loving paragraph was "anything 250cc or less just isn't safe".

Yeah, no poo poo you're not going to get good fuel efficiency if your prime criteria is some poo poo about only considering "real" bikes. Not all bikes are toys but almost everything above half a litre displacement is going to be tuned more for fun than efficiency.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Renaissance Robot posted:

I casually clicked into some blog post the other day titled "why motorcycles aren't practical as cheap transport". I could tell it was written by an American because the first loving paragraph was "anything 250cc or less just isn't safe".

Yeah, no poo poo you're not going to get good fuel efficiency if your prime criteria is some poo poo about only considering "real" bikes. Not all bikes are toys but almost everything above half a litre displacement is going to be tuned more for fun than efficiency.

To be fair, anything less than a 250 generally isn't fast enough to do the speed limit on American highways.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Giblet Plus! posted:

Oh, where in Taiwan do you live? I'm in Chiayi.

Marxalot posted:

To be fair, anything less than a 250 generally isn't fast enough to do the speed limit on American highways.

Pretty much this. "Anything below a 250 isn't safe" to drive on a 70/75 mph interstate because everyone is doing 80/85. My SR150 can cruise happily at 80 km/hr and tops out at about 90 km/hr (or at least that's where the noise starts to scare me into backing off the throttle). In the US, it would be fine for most inner-city travel up to the 45-55 mph roads and highways, but not fast enough for the interstates. And it's something about our culture that no matter what we will actually do with the motorcycle, it has to be capable of interstate speeds. Even if you never take it on an interstate. There's just that cultural bug that it has to be viable on a 75 mph interstate. Because, how can I prove I'm a man if I can't keep up with a Prius on I-95?

Really though, small bikes are fun, and really it's all you need to hit those twisty mountain roads. When I go back to the states it's going to be very tempting to bring my Yamaha with me. Though I understand that Kymco sells the Grand King 150 in the US, so that's another option. But at the same time the US doesn't get fun little bikes like the Kymco AIR or AEON My.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Then there are those states like Montana, where they just bumped our interstate speed limit to 80 mph.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When people discuss small displacement motorcycles as commuters they aren't picturing the commuting being done in rural Montana...more like...cities?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

YF19pilot posted:

Oh, where in Taiwan do you live? I'm in Chiayi.

Psht. Chiayi is for scrubs. Kaohsiung is where the party at.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

nsaP posted:

When people discuss small displacement motorcycles as commuters they aren't picturing the commuting being done in rural Montana...more like...cities?

We have those here, despite what you lowland hillbillies think.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Outside Dawg posted:

We have those here, despite what you lowland hillbillies think.

Yes I realize, do they have a speed limit of 80 as well? No one is suggesting to take a commute bike on the highway dummy, take the chip off your shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Maybe you guys can't see how his front end picked up but he accelerated, at first pretty calmly but when he gunned it, that's when I caught on. Yeah, this was a skill/experience issue, I'll admit, I rarely pass over yellow - I should've been more ready to pass with authority. I was in 6th gear accelerating mildly thinking cage wasn't a oval office. Think what you want, that dude blocked my pass and the police said it's not the first report of him doing that poo poo on this road.

Oh, and it's an xg750. Sorry I don't ride a super but it has more power than I can make use of.

Verge fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 25, 2015