Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I made popcorn (for the first time!) and gave some to birds before bedtime

All three were extremely suspicious at first, but reassuring Inko with some "nomnomnom"s convinced him, and though Steve hissed at it, when I went to cover him up it was chewed up and mostly eaten

As for Ohtori...

Also did I ever write about how we solved the problem of Ohtori chewing through all the cage covers? Here's how

Drape two Ikea couch covers over and weigh them down on top, the box holds them away from the bars and protects the top sections so he can't reach any of the fabric

take that birb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
LOOK AT HIM HOLDING IT IN HIS LITTLE FOOT AAAGH

:kimchi:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Is it a bad idea if I pick up and put down Sammy repeatedly in front of Kiwi? She's very smart and I'm hoping she'll see it and learn there isn't anything to be afraid of.

Edit: Birb popcorn satisfaction faces :3:

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
https://imgur.com/4J7gWX7

Birds are so dang smart!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Haha holy poo poo I used to have that toy.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Shirec posted:

Is it a bad idea if I pick up and put down Sammy repeatedly in front of Kiwi? She's very smart and I'm hoping she'll see it and learn there isn't anything to be afraid of.

Edit: Birb popcorn satisfaction faces :3:

This is how I got the untame ringneck to let me scratch her, but I tried to trick her into stepping up and lost a chunk of my finger.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

cvetka posted:

http://www.tiritirimatangi.org.nz/

I went here in 2001. It's an island sanctuary free of mammal predators that was repopulated with a good variety of native birds. To get there, you take a ferry from Auckland - it'd be a day trip.

Ooh this sounds particularly good.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I tried to trick her into stepping up and lost a chunk of my finger.
Ah yes, the Dreggon effect.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So bobbys snapped a nail, I held a tissue into it then put normal flour in it because thats all I had. What now?

He doesn't seem stressed but hes alternating between standing on 1 foot and chewing at it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
As long as the bleeding stopped, he's fine.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
gently caress me hes opened up the end of his toe

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

So bobbys snapped a nail, I held a tissue into it then put normal flour in it because thats all I had. What now?

He doesn't seem stressed but hes alternating between standing on 1 foot and chewing at it.

You gave him a delicious breaded foot to eat, of course he's going to try eating it!

Call a vet I guess, see if they think there's anything else that needs doing or if he needs to be brought in. But he should be okay if it's stopped bleeding and nothing's hanging off.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nail or toe?

Nail? Just put more flour on it. Maybe keep it on him longer. It will stop.

Toe? Get to a vet?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Toe

Going.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

poo poo yeah maybe vet time :v:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh jesus yeah. When you said snapped a nail, i thought maybe the nail snapped in half. Guess it snapped off right at the toe?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Good luck Bobby :ohdear:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Why does Toast keep trying to eat her own poop <:mad:> A shameful birb!

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Turns out the friends I'm staying with are a couple of miles from Omar's. Gonna go bother some baby birds tomorrow

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Antibiotics and a cone feat dumbass receptionist who reckoned it wasn't bothering him much/wouldn't make it an emergency.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Turns out the friends I'm staying with are a couple of miles from Omar's. Gonna go bother some baby birds tomorrow

I wanna live near Omar's :saddowns:

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Antibiotics and a cone feat dumbass receptionist who reckoned it wasn't bothering him much/wouldn't make it an emergency.

hang in there buddy :(

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

You gonna come out of your cage or do anything today Steve?

Apparently not.

With a camera I hope!

Did you complain? Hope birb does okay!

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Which one? Girls and I will also be harassing birds today.

Boo. How's birb holding up?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I had to take the cone in because he was freaking the gently caress out and I figured the risk of him picking at his toe is way less than the risk of him injuring something else. It was right before his normal bed time so I'm hoping he went straight to sleep and didn't stay up picking at it, he'd be tired after an extremely stressful day. Hopefully his heart holds out, I don't think Quakers are small enough to be at risk of heart attack from stuff like this but gently caress I'm scared. I turned the travel cage sideways and covered it (which I don't normally do, they are outside + its pretty hot) and put it on top of his normal cage. Hopefully he's relaxed in the morning. After I took the cone off, he instantly calmed down quite a bit and went all fluffy and cuddly.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Tempted to ask which one, I have a tight schedule today but the El Toro one is on my path in a few hours. I'm gonna go bother baby birds, too =3

Edit: If you are going to that one and I miss you, please say hi to the hyacinth macaw. He(?)'s a big ol sweetie and knows high-five.

Editedit: Still at work, I'll probably be in there briefly around 1. Probably won't see you, but if you see a short, fat chick with two-toned hair that's me.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 24, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to check out the El Toro one.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Yo! Been a while, not that anything much has changed.

Except now Pie is terrified of the newspaper that lines the bottom of his cage/sits under his play cage perch. I really have no idea why at this point and tried everything so, whatever I guess, it's not affecting his ability to do anything in his home cage, mostly just the play cage.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Found this: http://birdcheese.tumblr.com/

Rejoice.

Sample:

E: I have to stop. I just want to link all of them.

EE: I lied one more

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 24, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo.

:pusheen:

Tendai fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 24, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Omar's was pretty fantastic. The Hyacinth was in its cage but I got to be good friends with an Amazon named Bubs who just wanted to chill on my hand for 20 minutes and became Emperor of the Cockatiel Cage. My buddy and his girlfriend who aren't really into birds fell in love with the tiels and the caiques and my buddy got colossally trolled by a red-fronted macaw. Got a couple of toys for my idiots back home. A+ would bother birds there again

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bird stores were where I fell in love with Amazons, before I went to a couple they'd just been, you know. Those green parrots. My piano teacher as a kid had one, his name was Ernie and he didn't like zucchini. Once I interacted with them one on one though... man, they are fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tendai posted:

Holy poo poo.

:pusheen:

Figured someone would want potato avatars.

Sekkira posted:

Dreggon is actually a cockatoo in disguise.

Lurking through this thread I'd assumed they'd devoured Dreggon in a shrieking mess of white feathers some time ago and Gaston was now impersonating him.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Skillet's had some bald spots pop up and looking around online we are thinking it might be giardia. :( Anybody have any experience with this? We are taking him to the vet on monday.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

Bird stores were where I fell in love with Amazons, before I went to a couple they'd just been, you know. Those green parrots. My piano teacher as a kid had one, his name was Ernie and he didn't like zucchini. Once I interacted with them one on one though... man, they are fun.

I forget which one it was. It was the species with red on its forehead. Apparently it was a baby they found outside. Dude wanted me to pick him up and just perched on my forearm for like 20 minutes staring at me and a little fluffed up. If I didn't live on the opposite coast and already have a bird stockpile I think I would've had a new bird bff.

I also had two cockatiels run up to my shoulders and immediately take a nap. :3:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I forget which one it was. It was the species with red on its forehead. Apparently it was a baby they found outside. Dude wanted me to pick him up and just perched on my forearm for like 20 minutes staring at me and a little fluffed up. If I didn't live on the opposite coast and already have a bird stockpile I think I would've had a new bird bff.

I also had two cockatiels run up to my shoulders and immediately take a nap. :3:

Which Omar's are you near? Birdgoonmeet?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lurking through this thread I'd assumed they'd devoured Dreggon in a shrieking mess of white feathers some time ago and Gaston was now impersonating him.

DREGG... I MEAN, I AM FINE THANK YOU. I WAS NOT DISMEMBERED BY COCKATOOS. PLEASE SEND SUNFLOWER SEEDS.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

I have totally not been to the one in Santa Monica. Also I didn't realize there was on in Lake Forest. I wind up needing to kill time there once or twice a year.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SaNChEzZ posted:

I went to the Lake Forest one since my buddies live in Aliso Viejo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Figured someone would want potato avatars.

Oh man these are great. I'm a poor goon though otherwise I'd be all over one (or something else from their blog since there are so many options)

Someone send them an ask for a battle pigeon please :3: