Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Taliesyn posted:

The Elder Scrolls series has always been about the PC transitioning from Nobody to Demigod.

But elder scrolls doesn't do it very well because you hit demigod status around 1/3 the way through the story. I've always thought those games' biggest problem was the levelling and enemy scaling. Meanwhile Baldur's Gate has you at like regional hero status by the end of the first game, then by the end of BG2 you're one of the most powerful beings in the world, and in TOB you hit demigod status. It has the advantage of being a series rather than trying to do that in a single game, but still.

I think Dragon Age (at least Inquisition) does a decent job of the whole transition from nobody to supreme being.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

fong posted:

But elder scrolls doesn't do it very well because you hit demigod status around 1/3 the way through the story. I've always thought those games' biggest problem was the levelling and enemy scaling. Meanwhile Baldur's Gate has you at like regional hero status by the end of the first game, then by the end of BG2 you're one of the most powerful beings in the world, and in TOB you hit demigod status. It has the advantage of being a series rather than trying to do that in a single game, but still.

I think Dragon Age (at least Inquisition) does a decent job of the whole transition from nobody to supreme being.

To be fair, at the end of ToB you are fighting Demigods

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Icewind Dale 2's plot is the story of an insane dead cat collector and his pals going around the world terrifying demons.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Pwnstar posted:

Icewind Dale 2's plot is the story of an insane dead cat collector and his pals going around the world terrifying demons.

I vaguely remembered something about the dead cat so have been carrying it the whole time.

edit: and apparently I screwed that up too because I killed that demon already.

Washout fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 23, 2015

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Washout posted:

I vaguely remembered something about the dead cat so have been carrying it the whole time.

edit: and apparently I screwed that up too because I killed that demon already.

I carried the dead cat around because I adore cats and I was very sad about finding a dead one, so I held onto him as a sort of homage, I suppose. Everything after that was coincidence.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Washout posted:

The ice castle is the same as the goblin fort was except even more annoying puzzles and even less monster variation. It picks up after the ice castle?
I felt like it did? Chapter 3 is a little more open and less about thrusting you into a complete grinder. By that time you also get access to better weapons (including mace of disruption) which makes combat smoother.

Chapter 4's monastery is also more self contained as a location rather than a giant labyrinth, and the Underdark is the Underdark.

Past that I can't say, I'm in the last 1/4 of Chapter 4 or so.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Chapter 3 and 4 are definitely the juicy center after the coolest IE game prologue. Chapter 1 suffers from low level DnD hating the player but is otherwise alright, but 2 is a whole lot of garbage in a way I could never put my finger on. 5 and 6 suffer from some over-ambition issues, on top of reused assets from the first game but its also where your long game development characters turn into ridiculous juggernauts.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The Ice Castle just sucks (both times). Apart from that I think IWD2 has the best encounter design of all IE games, although some of the maps have too much random trash in them (Why are there so many Hook Horrors?). Overall more interesting enemies than BG1 and IWD, and less spammed gimmicks and high-level wizards than BG2. And it has good boss battles.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Taliesyn posted:

The Elder Scrolls series has always been about the PC transitioning from Nobody to Demigod.

Yeah but they didn't do it well except in Morrowind :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah but they didn't do it well except in Morrowind :v:

High level Daggerfall gets pretty weird if you gimmick out your character properly. Not quite as goofy as Morrowind, but still pretty goofy.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kenny Logins posted:

The larger plot, no. But I really like the little bits of IWD2 where if you're (say) a drow, or a paladin, it affects the type of dialogue and rewards you can access.

Whereas in BG1/2, as you note, they don't engage with race/class/gender at all, except for in 2 with the class-based strongholds (which had varying degrees of success).

I remember finally unlocking the stronghold for the paladin as a kid and being super disappointed with the fact it was one lame tiny-rear end room.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

I remember finally unlocking the stronghold for the paladin as a kid and being super disappointed with the fact it was one lame tiny-rear end room.

clerics and paladins are lame af my son

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Wizard Styles posted:

The Ice Castle just sucks (both times). Apart from that I think IWD2 has the best encounter design of all IE games, although some of the maps have too much random trash in them (Why are there so many Hook Horrors?). Overall more interesting enemies than BG1 and IWD, and less spammed gimmicks and high-level wizards than BG2. And it has good boss battles.

I'm just going to crank down the difficulty and smash the ice castles then, they are way too boring to go through conventionally.

edit: ugh

Washout fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 24, 2015

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So the BG2: Enhanced Edition is on sale on Steam right now for $4.99. Is it worth getting if you already have the original version? I got the original versions of BG1 and BG2 on GOG, and I installed them both with BGT. I finished BG1, but I recently switched computers, so I'll have to start over with BG2 (not a big deal, really, since I only made it to the start of Chapter 3).

Is there any advantage with playing the Enhanced Edition? It seems like the widescreen support is a bit better than the widescreen mod for BG2, but I don't know much else about it. Are there any changes in the Enhanced Edition that make the game easier/harder?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
If you plan on playing the game again you might as well buy it at that price. Area loot and a cleaned up UI are quality of life things that don't change the game dramatically, but you'll be glad to have them over the 80+ hours a full playthrough takes.

You can get most other things the EE adds/fixes through mods but even so I'd rather pay 5 bucks than install them. This is partly an :effort: thing, but in addition to that, modding IE games is installation order hell, so anything that decreases the number of mods to install is good.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Scroll wheel zoom is worth $5. BG:EE is essentially bug free now and BG2:EE is almost there. They're going to release another patch at some point in the future, after their expansion thing comes out.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Wizard Styles posted:

If you plan on playing the game again you might as well buy it at that price. Area loot and a cleaned up UI are quality of life things that don't change the game dramatically, but you'll be glad to have them over the 80+ hours a full playthrough takes.

You can get most other things the EE adds/fixes through mods but even so I'd rather pay 5 bucks than install them. This is partly an :effort: thing, but in addition to that, modding IE games is installation order hell, so anything that decreases the number of mods to install is good.
I should say that I never finished BG2 before that abandoned play-through, and when I said I finished BG1, that was my first time finishing it PERIOD. Probably wouldn't have been able to do it without the help of this thread.

You've sold me on the Enhanced Edition, though. Like you said, though, you can avoid the mod installation nonsense. I know that sounds lazy, but when I first tried it like a year or so ago, the game kept crashing every time I tried to leave Lion's Way. I remember hearing that there are some mods for the Enhanced Edition, so maybe I'll check those out if need be.

I guess I'll also ask if you still have the ability to use the console/cheat in the EE version. I'm not really good at these IE game, and I predict that I'll hit a wall sooner or later.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

I believe you do. There's also a version of GateKeeper/ShadowKeeper/Dale Keeper called EEKeeper that can handle any save file manipulation you may want to do, if you'd rather go that route.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

EE is definitely worth $5

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Weird how it's just BG2EE that's on sale.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Pretty much all mods work on BG2EE, too, from what I know. There's really no down side to getting it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Ascension really does need to update already though :argh:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Has anyone here tried a multiplayer playthrough through either of the BGEE games? Last we tried it was so crashy and unstable we couldn't even get out of the character arbitration screen, and I want to see if it has been fixed.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Why is Bonzai Buddy answering his own question? Why do people share avatars?

Content: Since Torment isn't 3e like IWD2, does that mean the EE can come out sooner? I really would to replay it, but it's a pain starting up with at least five mods, as well as the quality-of-life features it could benefit from like auto-looting and high-lighting objects,

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Content: Since Torment isn't 3e like IWD2, does that mean the EE can come out sooner? I really would to replay it, but it's a pain starting up with at least five mods, as well as the quality-of-life features it could benefit from like auto-looting and high-lighting objects,

The engine was pretty extensively changed by Black isle from the BG/IWd standard, so I really doubt Beamdog will ever release an EE version.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That's just the new default "Stupid Newbie" avatar.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Ascension really does need to update already though :argh:

Ascension works fine, you just need to install it through one of the megamods.

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/546-the-big-picture-v181/

Install that, but obviously uncheck everything other then BP Core/Ascension/Improved Bosses. It'll install Ascension, and it works fine.

There are a few script issues, but they are fixable by installing SCS, and installing it's base stuff ( Initialize Mod, Initialize AI components, all smarter bosses ( NOT SENDAI this crashes the game ), but also give Ascension Irenicus/Sendai SCS scripts ( or again beating Sendai will crash the game ), and give Ascension Demons SCS scripts. )

Then also grab the Slayer fix to fix a core bug with SCS.

You uh, might as well not bother waiting for actual Ascension. The guy that was working on it actually tried hiring some people to finish it faster, and they hosed him over. Shortly after that the forums drove him off the project for taking too long. Now nobody is working on Ascension for BG2EE. It's probably never going to get done.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Rookersh posted:

You uh, might as well not bother waiting for actual Ascension. The guy that was working on it actually tried hiring some people to finish it faster, and they hosed him over.

Huh, what happened?

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
Can a multi-class illusionist/thief eventually use/memorize necromancy spells from scrolls when they eventually get Use Any Item?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Suspicious posted:

Weird how it's just BG2EE that's on sale.
They're all on sale over at GOG.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Do slings get the bonus damage from your Strength score in BG2:EE?

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

Mzbundifund posted:

Has anyone here tried a multiplayer playthrough through either of the BGEE games? Last we tried it was so crashy and unstable we couldn't even get out of the character arbitration screen, and I want to see if it has been fixed.

IDK about the BG games, but I played all the way through IWDEE with three friends with minimal problems.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yes.

Edit:

Pierre McGuire posted:

Can a multi-class illusionist/thief eventually use/memorize necromancy spells from scrolls when they eventually get Use Any Item?
Cast from scrolls yes, learn no.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

The engine was pretty extensively changed by Black isle from the BG/IWd standard, so I really doubt Beamdog will ever release an EE version.

They should though, because it would sell at least as well as BG2:EE I think. I'd buy it in an instant.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Fucks over the Sling of Seeking, doesn't it?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The BG2 fix pack fixes that bug, wasn't it included in the EE? e: slings other than the sling of seeking getting bonus damage from strength

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Idk about what the actual 2.5e rules said, but I always thought it made sense for slings to get bonus from strength. A lot of bows have high str requirements, and stronger throw = more damage makes sense.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
"The damage adjustment also applies to missile weapons, although bows must be specially made to gain the bonus; crossbows never benefit from the user's Strength."

"Sling of Seeking +2: This gives its user a +2 bonus for both attack and damage rolls, but missiles from such a weapon are regarded as +1 with respect to whether or not certain creatures are affected by the weapon (i.e., a special defense of "+1 or better weapon to hit" means the creature is vulnerable to normal missiles from this sling.)"

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I don't know if it is just a bug with the engine or something I observed, but if you use a Banefire Crossbow it will seems to have 100% chance of inflicting decay on the target which will turn it into nothing more than an afflicted lump by the next month if it enters old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
On the subject of mods: Which ones are considered essential to you guys? Are ANY NPC mods worth getting? I know there's a small list in the OP but I just wanted to hear other people's opinion! :)

Vichan fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 7, 2015