Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

YF19pilot posted:

I'm a bit worried now. I don't think there's an actual course at the Chiayi DMV, unless it's off site. I know there's at least what looks like a driving school near where I live, but I don't know if the DMV would send me there to do the driving test, or if I'd have to take a trip to Taichung or Tainan. Anyway to look that up outside of "ask a Taiwanese friend"?

Also, how much do the schools cost? And does the school administer the test?

e: I would prefer to do the test in a manual car, the one I have access to has a wonky transmission that's difficult to shift from reverse to first and I'm worried the testing official might look poorly upon my performance because of that.

Do you have a US license? If so, you can skip taking(and paying for) classes and just take the tests.

Have a friend just call the DMV office for the testing information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

duckfarts posted:

Do you have a US license? If so, you can skip taking(and paying for) classes and just take the tests.

Have a friend just call the DMV office for the testing information.

Yes, I have an Ohio license. Kinda wish I had my Florida license as I could transfer it outright with no test taking, at least according to what I can dig up.

I'll see if I can drag a friend along with me to the DMV. There's a nice old lady there who speaks excellent English. Maybe I'll bring her some chocolate and ask her for the details. Someone was telling me that any US license would transfer, but I'm not sure about that. I mean, "transfer, but have to take the written" is no issue, just curious about having to take the driving/practical exam.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

YF19pilot posted:

Yes, I have an Ohio license. Kinda wish I had my Florida license as I could transfer it outright with no test taking, at least according to what I can dig up.

I'll see if I can drag a friend along with me to the DMV. There's a nice old lady there who speaks excellent English. Maybe I'll bring her some chocolate and ask her for the details. Someone was telling me that any US license would transfer, but I'm not sure about that. I mean, "transfer, but have to take the written" is no issue, just curious about having to take the driving/practical exam.

The US federal government doesn't have any treaties in place with Taiwan for drivers licenses, but certain individual states do. A state must recognize Taiwanese licenses for Taiwan to do the same back to holders of that state's license. I think this is limited to all of two states, but I don't remember which ones they are. There should be a list on a Taiwanese government website somewhere. I think in the last couple of years Taiwan changed the international license rules so that any international license would be valid for the length of your visa. It used to be the case that your international license would automatically expire (in the eyes of Taiwan, the license itself might still have been valid) if you stayed in the country for a certain length of time (90 days?) requiring you to get a local license, but that might no longer be the case. So an international license might be another option to pursue, but that's much tougher when you're already in country.

The schools do administer the exam in the same cars they train you in. Like I said, it's all part of a money making scheme. Courses cost about 9000nt when I did it.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Atlas Hugged posted:

The US federal government doesn't have any treaties in place with Taiwan for drivers licenses, but certain individual states do. A state must recognize Taiwanese licenses for Taiwan to do the same back to holders of that state's license. I think this is limited to all of two states, but I don't remember which ones they are. There should be a list on a Taiwanese government website somewhere. I think in the last couple of years Taiwan changed the international license rules so that any international license would be valid for the length of your visa. It used to be the case that your international license would automatically expire (in the eyes of Taiwan, the license itself might still have been valid) if you stayed in the country for a certain length of time (90 days?) requiring you to get a local license, but that might no longer be the case. So an international license might be another option to pursue, but that's much tougher when you're already in country.

The schools do administer the exam in the same cars they train you in. Like I said, it's all part of a money making scheme. Courses cost about 9000nt when I did it.

I had an international license/permit from AAA when I first got here, but those expire after one year, so the piece of paper I got from Taiwan only lasted as long as the international license. My other problem in pursuing that would be that my Ohio license expires in April 2016, so I don't even have a full year of validity left on it (and Ohio is stuck in the stone age and won't let me renew my license online at all, or by mail unless I'm deployed military).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

YF19pilot posted:

I had an international license/permit from AAA when I first got here, but those expire after one year, so the piece of paper I got from Taiwan only lasted as long as the international license. My other problem in pursuing that would be that my Ohio license expires in April 2016, so I don't even have a full year of validity left on it (and Ohio is stuck in the stone age and won't let me renew my license online at all, or by mail unless I'm deployed military).

And this is exactly why my license expired.

So Much Ponies
Dec 12, 2005

zoom zoom
yeah, if you're from Oregon, there is this: http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aipl/201510010009.aspx

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Okay, I'll be going to the DMV on Wednesday to attempt to get a car driver's license.

In other news, sugar ants are in season as I've found out this week. Now my apartment reeks of camphor oil in my attempt to destroy them.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
e. wrong thread

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I lied. Went to the DMV today and got my car license. :toot:

Now I just have to wait a year to test for the big motorcycle license. Oh, and I guess having a scooter license already got me out of having to watch that two hour presentation again.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

YF19pilot posted:

I lied. Went to the DMV today and got my car license. :toot:

Now I just have to wait a year to test for the big motorcycle license. Oh, and I guess having a scooter license already got me out of having to watch that two hour presentation again.

good job

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Apparently there are bars in Pingtung and they rule.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Apparently there are bars in Pingtung and they rule.

I can confirm that there are bars in Kaohsiung and Pingtung and they are tight. Also, does anyone want to invite me to the Line group? Username is the same as SA name, no capitals, no spaces. This island is tight, I want to move here.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Chantilly Say posted:

This island is tight, I want to move here.
Take it one step further and move to Lyudao or the Penghus or Jinmen. These places are even tighter than mainland Taiwan.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Any HESS goons go to the ECC training? I didn't quite make it...

The Letter A
Nov 8, 2002

So I'm arriving in Taipei next week to start HESS training. Got in just under the wire considering I had to make an emergency trip to DC to get a passport renewal processed before the deadline. Kinda pumped!

Any advice for things to bring that are hard to find in Taiwan?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Letter A posted:

Underwear that fit
Shoes that fit
If you're a fatass or a giant, all other clothes that fit

Basically unless you're like 5'2" and 120 lbs when wet, clothes in general.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

The Letter A posted:

So I'm arriving in Taipei next week to start HESS training. Got in just under the wire considering I had to make an emergency trip to DC to get a passport renewal processed before the deadline. Kinda pumped!

Do you know yet if you will be teaching in Taipei? That kind of changes the advice you will be given. I lived in Taipei and never had problems finding anything, aside from Tums and Sriracha, and I am 6'3. If you can live without Tums and Sriracha, I think you will be okay.

Of course I think Hess doesn't tell you where you will be living until halfway through training so you could end up somewhere else.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I must know where you purchased clothes that didn't make you look like either a clown or a hick mainlander.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Uniqlo always had jeans that would fit me. I ended up buying several pairs of jeans there when I lived in Korea, so I knew they would have stuff in Taiwan and they did.

NET also had decent-sized shirts. H&M just opened up in Taiwan too. I used to get a lot of stuff there in Korea, but I didn't get a chance to buy anything there in Taiwan because I was leaving in a few months and my luggage was already mostly full.

For shoes, I stuck to ABC Mart. They carried my size (US 11) and maybe a size or two higher. Beyond that, you might be out of luck. I also found my sizes at a Converse store.

The biggest problem I found with clothes was obviously the price, since I didn't have the same cheap options that everyone else had (although Uniqlo is quite cheap), and also the arms of dress shirts were usually too long. I took to rolling up the sleeves for the few dress shirts that I ended up buying because of that. Luckily Taiwan is hot, and no one expects you to wear a suit as a teacher.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
If I could amend my previous recommendation, I would definitely suggest bringing long-sleeved shirts, light sweaters and a fall jacket if you are tall and have long arms. It does get chilly in the winter, and it does rain a lot. Having a decent weather-proof jacket really helps. If you come from a cold climate you won't need anything resembling a winter jacket. I wore a leather jacket during the coldest months. Maybe don't bring a leather jacket though, because mine got moldy once I stopped wearing it because of the humidity.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
La New has p. solid shoes in my size, but i have kinda small feet for a 6'3'' dude

As for clothes, I just get by on looking like a dork most of the time. I wear mostly clothes I brought from the US, and I always wear dress shirts with the sleeves rolled/scrunched because I buy them off the rack and yeah gently caress finding fitting shirts

There are a few tailors that I could recommend, but I haven't actually used them because i'm lazy/cheap and i haven't gotten fired for rolling up my sleeves yet

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
You can buy Sriracha at Carrefour

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Slowpoke! posted:

For shoes, I stuck to ABC Mart. They carried my size (US 11) and maybe a size or two higher. Beyond that, you might be out of luck. I also found my sizes at a Converse store.

For someone who is 6'3 you got small feet. I'm 5'9 1/2 and wear size 12. Most places don't carry 12, or they only have 3-4 pairs total in the store. If you have bigger feet than me its really hard to get shoes just walking into a store.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Underwear that fit
Shoes that fit

Taiwan really doesn't have Uniqlo/Muji/H&M/various other multinational clothing brands?

Also random question- what are Taiwanese winters like weather wise? I might pop over for a trip in December

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Magna Kaser posted:

Also random question- what are Taiwanese winters like weather wise? I might pop over for a trip in December

It is a cold that will seep into your bones and you will never escape. All the clothes you own will get wet, be wet, and stay wet. The sky, overcast, weeps incessantly, like an old man with a prostate infection. As for the sun? What sun?

Unless you go to the south, then it's sunny and like 70F.

The Letter A
Nov 8, 2002

TetsuoTW posted:

Underwear that fit
Shoes that fit

I'm 5'10 170. Have you ever been to a Uniqlo in Japan? When I was there I didn't have any issues finding clothes that fit in that store so if the clothes are similar I should be good as long as I can get to a Uniqlo. Thanks for the advice!

Slowpoke! posted:

Do you know yet if you will be teaching in Taipei? That kind of changes the advice you will be given. I lived in Taipei and never had problems finding anything, aside from Tums and Sriracha, and I am 6'3. If you can live without Tums and Sriracha, I think you will be okay.

Of course I think Hess doesn't tell you where you will be living until halfway through training so you could end up somewhere else.
Well, my three preference in any order were Taipei, Taoyuan, and Hsinchu, so even if I'm not in Taipei it'd be easy enough to make it there on a day off or something. Excellent recommendation on the Tums, I'll make sure to grab some before I head over.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Another random and much nerdier (but more important) question-

Would Star Wars in Taiwan be dubbed into Chinese or would it have English/Chinese Sub versions in theaters? Disney movies here in China tend to have dubs day 1, though there are subtitled showings as well. I'm not sure what it's like in Taiwan.

The PRC release got pushed back until late January so this ends up becoming something I should do while in the RoC....

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I found American stick deodorant to be universally hard to find in Asia. They prefer the body spray variety.

Magna Kaser posted:

Another random and much nerdier (but more important) question-

Would Star Wars in Taiwan be dubbed into Chinese or would it have English/Chinese Sub versions in theaters? Disney movies here in China tend to have dubs day 1, though there are subtitled showings as well. I'm not sure what it's like in Taiwan.

The PRC release got pushed back until late January so this ends up becoming something I should do while in the RoC....

English with Chinese subs usually.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
After moving to Taipei and becoming more familiar with buying things online I find there's very little that I need to ask relatives to send or bring when they come to visit.

Deodorant is a great example. I used to have my mom send me shipments of Old Spice sticks (sweaty goon checkin' in), but there's a shop in Tianmu that caters to foreigners that usually has it, or I can just buy it online and have it delivered within 24 hours so... eh.

Size 13 shoes remain the only pain in the rear end, even online not a lot of people carry sizes that big.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

English with Chinese subs usually.

Great!

Also if you're used to bar, in most of Asia I've been (HK, China, and Japan at least) they sell those rolly-ball liquid deodorants from Nivea and other western brands which are pretty much the same as a stick. They're also small enough you can bring 'em through customs or on a plane without issue.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
All American movies are English with Chinese subs. Taiwan doesn't really dub things, though I never went to any animated movies while I was there. In fact, they even included English subs when the characters spoke foreign languages.

Release dates were also mostly in synch with North America. Some exceptions of course, like Imitation Game and Wolf of Wall Street. I'm not sure if that was due to the content of the film, or the fact that it just wasn't translated in advance. There generally isn't any censorship like you see in the mainland.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Some movies even get a week or so early release.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

There is at least one example where Taiwan hosed around forever about getting a movie, which was District 9. That poo poo took like a full year to show up here. But for the most part, at least for big movies, yeah it's about the same time as the US. The only stuff that gets dubbed is cartoons and Hong Kong films, and in the latter case they'll often come out in both Mandarin and Cantonese versions.

Magna Kaser posted:

Taiwan really doesn't have Uniqlo/Muji/H&M/various other multinational clothing brands?
It has them, but they predominantly sell clothes that will fit Taiwanese people.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 6, 2015

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cartoons are dubbed because they are for little kids. That's why I only know labi xiaoxin instead of that real shinchan bullshit.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Cartoons are dubbed because they are for little kids. That's why I only know labi xiaoxin instead of that real shinchan bullshit.
Adventure Time also sounds hella weird in English to me.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
http://www.tuvaluembassyroc.org/job-opportunities/

There's a job opening at the Tuvalu embassy in the ROC, if you've got good Chinese and English and think it'd be interesting maybe apply for it.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Finally, a cell phone MRT video that is not embarrassing for the foreigner:

http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/life/20151111/730907/

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

quadrophrenic posted:

Finally, a cell phone MRT video that is not embarrassing for the foreigner:

http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/life/20151111/730907/

jfc that's aggravating to watch

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

real content edit:

Does that kind of stuff happen often in Taiwan? I hear about it happening a fair bit, and I've never come across it here in the mainland (though I've def heard it happens here too). It seems most people that aren't disgruntled single dudes think it's cool/neat to date a foreigner.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Nah, I've never met an rear end in a top hat like that in Taiwan and I am the kind of foreigner that makes that guy angry.