Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Turnquiet posted:

Apple Watch 2 needs to be round. A stainless OG Moto 360 with stainless band looks better, even if Android Wear on the 6S is a weaker experience than on Android (android lol).

gently caress a round smart watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

That's like, your opinion, man. The victors determine what is a good looking watch, and the best selling smart watch is square.

Not really, Apple determines the best selling smartwatch since Apple nailed marketing early on. Apple was bound to have the bestselling smartwatch since it was coming from a huge installed base. As someone who abandoned Android after 5+ years of defending it due to security gently caress ups but was worried the 360 would suck now on iOS and was proven wrong (seriously, and I only bought a stainless 360 plus band when it got to closeout levels of cheap [160 US, poors]) the Apple watch looks like poo poo compared to the Android Wear that lots of commoners have commented on since it looked so nice.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Turnquiet posted:

Not really, Apple determines the best selling smartwatch since Apple nailed marketing early on. Apple was bound to have the bestselling smartwatch since it was coming from a huge installed base. As someone who abandoned Android after 5+ years of defending it due to security gently caress ups but was worried the 360 would suck now on iOS and was proven wrong (seriously, and I only bought a stainless 360 plus band when it got to closeout levels of cheap [160 US, poors]) the Apple watch looks like poo poo compared to the Android Wear that lots of commoners have commented on since it looked so nice.

:agreed:

I have the space gray sport, and it reminds me of an 80s Casio calculator watch bolted to a play-doh band. Utterly toylike in appearance. Truly desperately hoping for a round Watch 2.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I get that some select group of people want their Smart Watch to look as approximately like a traditional watch as possible. For them, the further from a automated/mechanical watch a smart watch gets, the worse it looks. The reality is that Android had a big rear end head start to market their watch and part of their failure thus far has been making their watch look too much like a traditional watch, even if some purists appreciate that. Apple stepped in and said "this is what a beautiful smart watch (not watch, but smart watch) should look like, in our view." Of course their brand is strong and people bought into it even further. Now more than 2/3 smart watches are Apple Watches and are square. It should bear noting that the group of people who believe watches should be round and approximate traditional watches are themselves still torn over whether or not to even wear a smart watch or stick to a traditional watch.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Most android smart watches did not look like traditional watches. In fact both launch devices were ugly square shits.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Most android smart watches did not look like traditional watches. In fact both launch devices were ugly square shits.

Well, now they do approximate traditional watches, which is the niche they are trying to fill (or be first to fill). Maybe they think Apple will go that route eventually, or maybe they just feel like it's the best course given their experiences with other shapes. In the end, the square design attempted by AW was bad looking compared to the square design of Apple. Maybe if they had executed well in the first place we'd be having a conversation about "when will AW have a round face?"

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Apple Watch is probably the best looking smart watch on the market. It's still a really ugly watch. Taste in watches is really individual though. Some people adore those giant divers watches the size of a baseball on your wrist.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

There's absolutely no reason for a smartwatch to be round. I could see Apple eventually launching a whole range of Apple Watches in a variety of shapes and sizes though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

gret posted:

There's absolutely no reason for a smartwatch to be round. I could see Apple eventually launching a whole range of Apple Watches in a variety of shapes and sizes though.

Depends how people use it. If people tend to pick round watch faces and other content works with a round shape just fine, then you could argue round makes more sense. Is there any reason for a smartwatch to be a rounded square?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

RVProfootballer posted:

Depends how people use it. If people tend to pick round watch faces and other content works with a round shape just fine, then you could argue round makes more sense. Is there any reason for a smartwatch to be a rounded square?

Because apple invented rounded squares

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Clearly they didn't as the Shakalamari brand watch that sold about 4,000 copies and required manual winding for 1 hour battery life did it first.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Clearly they didn't as the Shakalamari brand watch that sold about 4,000 copies and required manual winding for 1 hour battery life did it first.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1701443/USD670286S1.pdf

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Question. If apple made a round smart watch option, and made the UI work with it, would you buy it, or square? I'd buy circle anyday. The home screen and fitness stuff already makes sense with a circle watch face.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Question. If apple made a round smart watch option, and made the UI work with it, would you buy it, or square? I'd buy circle anyday. The home screen and fitness stuff already makes sense with a circle watch face.

Round for sure. I really hate the rectangle.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I'd have to see what it looks like. I'm not immune to saying that I bought mine in small part so that people would see I own a smart watch. If I didn't want people to know, i'd get a competitor's watch, nondescript strap and hide it. If they could make the round watch have the futuristic touches and distinguish it from a traditional watch then I would be on board with either shape.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

If they could make the round watch have the futuristic touches and distinguish it from a traditional watch then I would be on board with either shape.

What do you mean? It's a smartwatch, it has a million futuristic touches that make it different from a traditional watch. Or did you just mean in terms of styling?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

What do you mean? It's a smartwatch, it has a million futuristic touches that make it different from a traditional watch. Or did you just mean in terms of styling?

Styling, the fringe materials etc.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Also http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Round_Rects_Are_Everywhere.txt

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Apple changing the form factor of the watch screen seems unlikely; part of iOS' success is that they don't change the screen form factor that often, and when they do it's in a backwards compatible way so that older apps still work on newer screens. That seems difficult to do going from square to circle.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I need for this mockuo to actually happen. And to be able to control my iPad or atv from stupid watch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
:swoon:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

pipebomb posted:

I need for this mockuo to actually happen. And to be able to control my iPad or atv from stupid watch.

You can control your ATV (or iTunes) from your watch? https://support.apple.com/kb/PH20782?locale=en_US

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

fordan posted:

You can control your ATV (or iTunes) from your watch? https://support.apple.com/kb/PH20782?locale=en_US

Ah, good to know, thanks.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
yeah, but not as a complication.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I'm finding battery life vastly improved under 2.0.1. Very satisfying indeed!

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

A round smart watch makes literally no sense. Every time you see one all the content is just squeezed into the tiny square of best fit in the circle anyway, so you're paying for a ton of screen that you can't use for the one aspect of the thing that differentiates it from a dumbwatch. It's an entire hardware spec designed for just one inferior aspect of the product. It would be like if the iPhone had that iPod/rotatry dial like those comical mockups had.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I understand what you're saying and yet I will literally never buy a smartwatch until there is one that is round + extremely good because the square/rectangular watches look horrendous

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It's not like people wear watches as jewellery

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I buy Apple products for strictly utilitarian reasons.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I like the square design because it reminds me of the basic app shape on iOS. :shobon:

Besides, with a round watch you'd have to go huge to have comparable space, and I don't see that working unless you're going diver's watch big, and then you're just serving people who prefer huge watches.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

It's not like people wear watches as jewellery
Yeah, I feel like people don't get this when they're told that smart watches are generally pretty ugly.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I'm very much in the "I prefer a round smartwatch" camp, but I tried on the Hermes Cuff yesterday, and it was incredible looking. The 70s style wide cuff made the apple watch look not so bulky, and the stitching and square angles of the cuff/band combo complemented the rectangular watch shape and actually made it look good. I then tried on the "single tour" Hermes and a stainless steel with standard apple brown leather strap. The watch really did look unattractive with all but the cuff. Wearing the cuff model, I actually got excited about the watch.

My sgs now looks like a comical Fisher-Price My First Watch with Edible Play-Doh Band (patent pending).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel like the Olio is the best looking smart watch I've seen.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Croc Monster posted:

I'm very much in the "I prefer a round smartwatch" camp, but I tried on the Hermes Cuff yesterday, and it was incredible looking. The 70s style wide cuff made the apple watch look not so bulky, and the stitching and square angles of the cuff/band combo complemented the rectangular watch shape and actually made it look good. I then tried on the "single tour" Hermes and a stainless steel with standard apple brown leather strap. The watch really did look unattractive with all but the cuff. Wearing the cuff model, I actually got excited about the watch.

My sgs now looks like a comical Fisher-Price My First Watch with Edible Play-Doh Band (patent pending).

Oh my god I know I waste money on poo poo but fifteen hundred dollars for a watch band I can't even

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
The watch is included. So only about $1,000 for the band :ironicat:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Croc Monster posted:

The watch is included. So only about $1,000 for the band :ironicat:

That irrationally makes me feel a bit better about something I'm not going to buy anyway but lordy lordy. Wonder how long before replicas that are 95% as good for 1/10 the price come out.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

An Apple Watch will by definition always look like an Apple Watch. Just like with the iPhone, there is a particular appeal there to many consumers. It isn't necessarily supposed to look like a "normal" watch by design.

If a round model is released, it still won't satisfy people who want a replacement for an heirloom ornamental watch, probably on purpose.

Edit: although I wouldn't be surprised by seasonal licensing deals with watchmaker (or designers) that go off the rails with form factors every so often

Like a Bill Cosby one with dual heart rate monitors

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 24, 2015

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

mediaphage posted:

That irrationally makes me feel a bit better about something I'm not going to buy anyway but lordy lordy. Wonder how long before replicas that are 95% as good for 1/10 the price come out.

Yeah, they're already out on amazon/ebay/alibaba and look just fine. Before the Hermes was even released, I saw some 3rd party cuff bands on Amazon and thought even then that they framed the watch better than a regular band.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Croc Monster posted:

It's called a bund strap and they've been around a lot longer then the 70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

blugu64 posted:

It's called a bund strap and they've been around a lot longer then the 70s
Roman infantry wore sundials strapped to their forearm with a arm-span length of sheep intestine. This is where the expression "a freckle past a hair" comes from. Don't fact check this.

• Locked thread