Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

These people aren't missing any meals, but they've missed the IQ train. And they're not going away in your 24th century future, they're still there, eating and breeding and buying lottery tickets.

As to curing psychological conditions, I see no evidence of that in Star Trek. Nobody managed to cure Barclay, and numerous seasons of watching Counselor Troi nag people to talk about their feelings doesn't lead me to believe they know anything more than we do about human psychology.

I spent a while trying to figure out what scene that was from Idiocracy before I saw the little TLC at the bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Orange Sunshine posted:

The 50% of the population with sub-100 IQs are not going to be inventing anything, creating or exploring. Well, ok, they'll do the 24th century equivalent of horrible fan fiction, poetry and scrapbooking. Accomplishing things is hard, but cheering a sports team and then feeling a great victory when they win is easy.

Most of the rest will get their inventing/creating/exploring needs met through games, as people do today. Saving or conquering the world in a video game is easy. The creative types will sit around painting pictures and writing stories that even their friends have no interest in, as they do today.

I think your optimistic vision of a post-scarcity future only works if you have a high IQ population and somehow no drugs, and even then half the people don't do poo poo.

Many rich Millennials today might as well exist post-scarcity. They spend their times curating the most perfect Instagram feed, the most envy-worthy lookbook, the most pumped muscles, the coolest graduation party location, etcetera. The super rich ones now try to appear the most authentic at the coolest music festivals, the most ironic with their meta humor, and the most DGAF with casual risk taking.

Hell, this was written about Arnold when bodybuilding was first a thing. George Butler - his original photographer, the one that took those iconic black-and-whites - made a book about him, and the forward was brilliant. It basically said 'Arnold helped create never-seen-before bodies that would go on to invent amazing new forms of sin.' Just wait until everyone can have any body.

Post scarcity people will peacock the gently caress out about the absolute weirdest poo poo in the most bizarre, meta, in-group one-upmanship the world has ever seen. They'll create their own celebrities, rivalries, and drama that makes insulting the Bieliebers on Instagram seem like greeting a room full of old friends.

You think orange Jersey Shore Mafia kid bros look like freaks? You think Bilzerian lives a decadent life? You haven't seen poo poo.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Dutch kickboxing scene was bolstered by their strong welfare state. For a time, you could quit you job, get a minimum income guaranteed with reasonable shelter and spend your whole day every day training to knee people's teeth out. So rest assured there will always be fabulous violence in whatever shape the post-scarcity pre-singularity future takes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hell, combine it with the Trek ability to instantly heal most injuries...

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Sounds like a Klingon wet dream.

Speaking of, is it supposed to be implied that the race of aliens that created all life in the galaxy was genocided by the Klingons? They mention that they killed off their gods, and I would consider it very poetic and appropriate that the Klingons were the last race to be made by the Engineers WhoeverTheyAres, and they were either the best or the worst race they made...which led to their destruction.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Speaking of, is it supposed to be implied that the race of aliens that created all life in the galaxy was genocided by the Klingons? They mention that they killed off their gods, and I would consider it very poetic and appropriate that the Klingons were the last race to be made by the Engineers WhoeverTheyAres, and they were either the best or the worst race they made...which led to their destruction.

I don't think so. The implication was that all that happened a long, long time ago. Not just before homo sapiens, but before any of our precursors. Maybe before multicellular life existed on earth at all. We weren't even little squirrel-like guys yet when they disappeared, so it would be weird for the klingons to be evolved enough to have wiped them out and remember doing so.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

At some point the predecessor to the Klingon species hosed a targ, ruining the whole plan.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 24, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The progenitor race were around over four billion years ago, Klingons aren't nearly that old.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Orange Sunshine posted:

These people aren't missing any meals, but they've missed the IQ train. And they're not going away in your 24th century future, they're still there, eating and breeding and buying lottery tickets.

They are missing nutrients and a balanced diet though, which do have a causal link to intelligence. But beyond that there are clear environmental conditions that could easily be eliminated given unlimited resources that would ensure if not them then their children will be vastly more intelligent. The relaxed ease which which authorities can monitor and intervene even mechanically in the Federation would mean the type of child abuses typical of that photo would never be allowed to continue.

IQ is different to intelligence, by the way; your IQ is simply how good you are at IQ tests, and like most tests steady practice makes you much better at them while not necessarily increasing your actual applicable intelligence. You might as well say 'Pac Man score'.

quote:

As to curing psychological conditions, I see no evidence of that in Star Trek. Nobody managed to cure Barclay, and numerous seasons of watching Counselor Troi nag people to talk about their feelings doesn't lead me to believe they know anything more than we do about human psychology.

Even Bashir says that the human brain remains an enduring mystery, so even in the 24th century, the mind is truly the final frontier.

If only the Federation hadn't culled all the religious people, they might have a Buddhist hanging around to explain poo poo to them.

Crusher on the other hand talks about how they mapped the brain when Picard got a headache in The Battle, and Wesley uses a neurological computer model to model the effects of The Game. Bashir, by the way, cyborged Barial's brain, literally knowing the mind so well he can download, emulate and interface with it, and is himself the product of breathtakingly advanced post-natal neurological genetic resequencing so I think he might be a little loving modest. Then there's the illegal but highly functional cyberports that allow brains to interface with computers sabotaged and repaired by Miles in Honor Among Thieves, the time the Doctor literally downloaded a patient's brain into the holodeck to gently caress her, the fact there are Betazeds who can literally read your mind any time and therefore have a complete understanding of your mental state, the existence of universal translators which function by scanning the linguistic centres of the speaker's brain in real time. People know brains and minds pretty good.

Barclay is the least neurotypical baseline-human around. He's just a bit of a shy sperglord. He's not a danger to himself or others. And he gets a bit better every time we see him. That's Federation psychotherapy in action.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Lol fuckin' owned

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Seriously though nothing we've ever seen in the TV series suggests that there's some average Joe dumb rear end population. Even the average citizen has a far better education than the best educated people today recieve.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Kitchner posted:

Seriously though nothing we've ever seen in the TV series suggests that there's some average Joe dumb rear end population. Even the average citizen has a far better education than the best educated people today recieve.

Yeah every now and then don't they mention stuff like how average 12 year olds are proficient in differential calculus because of course why wouldn't they be?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Yeah bear in mind the only teenager we really see is Wesley and he can fly a loving starship and fix quantum flux capacitor engines or whatever and no one is saying how much of a child genius he is, he was taught it all in school.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Kitchner posted:

People go out and do things because they want to invent, create, explore. Not just say "Computer, load holodeck programme anime 1" five times a day.

As if I would have even shut it off once in a day.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kitchner posted:

Yeah bear in mind the only teenager we really see is Wesley and he can fly a loving starship and fix quantum flux capacitor engines or whatever and no one is saying how much of a child genius he is, he was taught it all in school.

He's totally a child genius. The average Fed teenager is Jake. Who is a pretty well-educated and engaged teenager, still. Not to mention he lived on a station without a school after season one and presumably was part of the Federation's school of the air.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 24, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Orange Sunshine posted:

The 50% of the population with sub-100 IQs are not going to be inventing anything, creating or exploring. Well, ok, they'll do the 24th century equivalent of horrible fan fiction, poetry and scrapbooking. Accomplishing things is hard, but cheering a sports team and then feeling a great victory when they win is easy.

Most of the rest will get their inventing/creating/exploring needs met through games, as people do today. Saving or conquering the world in a video game is easy. The creative types will sit around painting pictures and writing stories that even their friends have no interest in, as they do today.

I think your optimistic vision of a post-scarcity future only works if you have a high IQ population and somehow no drugs, and even then half the people don't do poo poo.

hmmm first you understand the concept of iq and then you don't

it's an index relative to the whole population, not an absolute intelligence metric, so a future space hick with an iq of 60 could still be more intelligent than a genius today

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

He's totally a child genius. The average Fed teenager is Jake. Who is a pretty well-educated and engaged teenager, still. Not to mention he lived on a station without a school after season one and presumably was part of the Federation's school of the air.

Didn't Keiko start a school or something? I seem to remember something about somebody trying to get the non-human children on the station to go to the federation school.

Besides, the teachers seem to be mostly cheerleaders. The computers have courses for everything programed in. The computer can talk to you, like a human. The computer can also show you 3D examples of everything. Computer is your friend.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

If only the Federation hadn't culled all the religious people, they might have a Buddhist hanging around to explain poo poo to them.

It makes you wonder what happened to religion in the Federation between the 23rd and 24th centuries to make it so atheist. Afterall, the original Enterprise had a chapel on board and Kirk at least sounded like he believed in God.

Angela Christine posted:

Didn't Keiko start a school or something? I seem to remember something about somebody trying to get the non-human children on the station to go to the federation school.

Besides, the teachers seem to be mostly cheerleaders. The computers have courses for everything programed in. The computer can talk to you, like a human. The computer can also show you 3D examples of everything. Computer is your friend.
Yes and she seemed to treat it as something of a hobby. I mean you don't hear anything about it when she talks about going to Bajor to look at plants.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

It makes you wonder what happened to religion in the Federation between the 23rd and 24th centuries to make it so atheist. Afterall, the original Enterprise had a chapel on board and Kirk at least sounded like he believed in God.

That was nurse Chapel and Kirk yelling "Oh my God" when loving blue alien chicks isn't really a religion.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Yes and she seemed to treat it as something of a hobby. I mean you don't hear anything about it when she talks about going to Bajor to look at plants.
Because someone finally kicked in for the single slip of latinum it would have cost to buy a universal hologram teacher that every other colony uses and is far more able to by the picosecond evaluate a students attention, grasp and uptake of the subject matter. Rather than some bored woman playing at school marm because it felt like an authentic way to burn off an afternoon before pretending to cook lamb stew.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

Yeah. Then it was exploded for a while, and then she shut it down at the start of Season 3 because everyone had taken their kids off DS9.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So it really was Keiko that was behind that bombing.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

No, the point is that Jake isn't average because he doesn't give a poo poo about science stuff. Even Nog, a Ferengi brought up to learn about profit and how awesome capitalism is, knows about as much as Wesley. Wesley might be unusually bright, but not like "Holy poo poo the 16 year old is a child genius" levels of smart.

Jake was like "I'm not like the other kids because I'm bad at science and studying, I just chill out all day and play space billiards". Doesn't Sisko even have a go at him for doing nothing with his life?

Jake is the poo poo at academics but creative type of child, comparing him to Wesley is like comparing Einstein to Shakespeare.

You're right though, even an average child would be much more intelligent than even smart people today.

Also goon about IQ, the average IQ is ALWAYS 100 because it's

(mental age/physical age)*100

So yeah if an average dude from Trek took an IQ test set up to gauge someone's mental age today then yes they would be well above 100. If the average dude took a Trek IQ test he would get 100 (because (25/25)*100=100)

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

eSports Chaebol posted:

Yeah every now and then don't they mention stuff like how average 12 year olds are proficient in differential calculus because of course why wouldn't they be?

Yup. Everyone needs an understanding of basic calculus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETt8GJRbqLc

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

full communism now

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Disco Infiva posted:

That was nurse Chapel and Kirk yelling "Oh my God" when loving blue alien chicks isn't really a religion.

No, he's referring to the room where Balance of Terror opened in during a marriage.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Germstore posted:

The slapfight has already started; it is too late for the goons to vote.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kitchner posted:

You're right though, even an average child would be much more intelligent than even smart people today.

In the future, the average child will be able to tech tech the phase inverted Newtonian ion multi-spectral flux scanner to output a static tachyon pulse as their school science project? He who technobabbles the most must have the highest IQ!

PS: I could never picture Jake running off with an alien space creep in his mind-expanding journey (probably in his starship version of a van)

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

In the future, the average child will be able to tech tech the phase inverted Newtonian ion multi-spectral flux scanner to output a static tachyon pulse as their school science project? He who technobabbles the most must have the highest IQ!

Wasn't this the actual basis for the traveler bullshit. Who cares about engines and poo poo for traveling. If you believe in it hard enough it'll happen.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

eugenics in the 21st century means everyone in the 24th benefits

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Maybe it had something to do with Federation starships running into god like beings (some of whom freely admit they actually posed as gods of antiquity on ancient Earth) and then either completely outwitting them or being horribly destroyed/enslaved by them every second Tuesday?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

what does god need with a starship

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Tighclops posted:

Maybe it had something to do with Federation starships running into god like beings (some of whom freely admit they actually posed as gods of antiquity on ancient Earth) and then either completely outwitting them or being horribly destroyed/enslaved by them every second Tuesday?

I AM GOD!

Sorry, which one? We've destroyed 2 and trapped 3 in inter-spacial flux dimensions now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nurge posted:

Wasn't this the actual basis for the traveler bullshit. Who cares about engines and poo poo for traveling. If you believe in it hard enough it'll happen.

Wesley posits that time and space and thought are the same thing and the Traveller says "never say such dangerous things again" because he's right

alt.ensign.wesley.die.die.die

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

TEAYCHES posted:

eugenics in the 21st century means everyone in the 24th benefits

This.

lol, just lol if you think Honey Boo Boo survived Khan's eugenics purges.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

TEAYCHES posted:

what does god need with a starship

God's parents are convinced Captain Okona hosed God and got him/her pregnant and want a starship to track him down and force a shotgun wedding out of that outrageous Captain.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

akasnowmaaan posted:

Many rich Millennials today might as well exist post-scarcity.

This thread has taken a sharp turn for 100% retarded fatass idiots pulling profoundly philosophical knowledge clean out of their greasy belly-buttons, totally trumping Mr. Misspelled Username McSmartguy's efforts a dozen pages ago, but this right here takes the taco. Especially given the devastating certainty in which it was delivered and the raging, pseudo-intellectual autism and obvious complete ignorance of the terms in which it was couched.

Yeah. Many rich young people, who for some strongly relevant reason were born in a certain time and not before, exist in a tiny little post-scarcity society. We know this because we are loving dumbass goons who seem to think that actual smart people just sort of look out the window before ginning up ringing socio-economic truths and just sort of ream them through the poo poo-covered tube of our vague, hilariously unsupportable impressions. Yeah. Top marks from the old critical thinking department.

What the gently caress does it smell like inside your heads when you are this hardcore faux-smug and stupid?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

you are quite mad about a star trek thread on the internet comedy webforum Something Awful Dot Com - i realize its early but i suggest you make a drink and listen to some brian eno

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah there's a level of stupidity at which I just white out. Some people think it's weird. But, on the other hand,

edit I mean I don't hang around with dumb fat high school kids with a burning need to be the smartest guy on the planet a lot, are you just supposed to tune it out?

Tujague fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

Yeah there's a level of stupidity at which I just white out. Some people think it's weird. But, on the other hand,

U mad?

• Locked thread