Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

Hold up now. Six didn't dump that guy in, he tapped him on the shoulder and he fell in on his own.

"You'll forgive me if I don't join you"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdZrqHfQMzE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
http://time.com/4079724/corgi-doctor-who/

If you don't think this is adorable, you have no soul.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Hold up now. Six didn't dump that guy in, he tapped him on the shoulder and he fell in on his own.

You gotta read (watch?) between the (lines?).
If Six had full-on pushed him in, Whitehouse would've had (another) fit. So I'm guessing they figured Guy 1 being "tapped" in and then Guy 2 being pulled in by Guy 1 would be seen as "less" objectionable than the Titular character pushing them both in.

RunAndGun fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 24, 2015

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

twistedmentat posted:

I like how there's not some obvious hook through the season so far. No Cracks, no Bad Wolf (seriously, that sounds like it was made from a random bag of scrabble letters), nothing. I mean there is the cloister bell but there hasn't been some kind of "Hey look people, look at that!" stuff with it.

The hybrid, the War Minister, the Doctor's confessional dial, the Master and the Dalek's.

The hybrid is definitely an on going plot because the Doctor reacted with horror when he realised he'd made Astrid one.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

RunAndGun posted:

You gotta read (watch?) between the (lines?).
If Six had full-on pushed him in, Whitehouse would've had (another) fit. So I'm guessing they figured Guy 1 being "tapped" in and then Guy 2 being pulled in by Guy 1 would be seen as "less" objectionable than the Titular character pushing them both in.

Does that mean I can read between the lines and say the Doctor deliberately murdered Adric for being too annoying to live?

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

Does that mean I can read between the lines and say the Doctor deliberately murdered Adric for being too annoying to live?

Sure, but I don't think Whitehouse would've had anything to say about that particular scene anyways...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

PriorMarcus posted:

The hybrid is definitely an on going plot because the Doctor reacted with horror when he realised he'd made Astrid one.

Which isn't going to stop him telling people he's half-human (on his mother's side) when he gets drunk.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

After The War posted:

Which isn't going to stop him telling people he's half-human (on his mother's side) when he gets drunk.

Oh god, if they go back to that well I would love the show forever. Also, I'd laugh my arse off for days.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm glad that of all the Classic Doctor Who episodes I could have accidentally watched, it was this one. It was just completely bizarre to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RunAndGun posted:

Sure, but I don't think Whitehouse would've had anything to say about that particular scene anyways...

"Dear Radio Times, I was very upset at the lack of graphic content during the death scene of Adric. While I could tolerate the lack of blood, I was most disappointed that there was no sound cracking bones or at least the wailing screams of the youth as he perished forever. A real missed opportunity here, won't somebody think of the valuable lesson the children could have learned?"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

"Dear Radio Times, I was very upset at the lack of graphic content during the death scene of Adric. While I could tolerate the lack of blood, I was most disappointed that there was no sound cracking bones or at least the wailing screams of the youth as he perished forever. A real missed opportunity here, won't somebody think of the valuable lesson the children could have learned?"

For some reason I read this in Pertwee's voice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Immortality, but a "mortal" memory is a horrible curse.

Williams is killing it in the portrayal, but that's no great surprise.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Calling herself "Me" because names don't make sense for her any more is cool and sad, and immediately applicable to the Doctor of course. In all that discussion of his real name in the show a couple of years back I'm not sure I remember the idea coming up that "Doctor" is the only name that means anything to him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well the Doctor has a mind/memory suited to a long life, unlike Ashildr, but he did make the point that "Doctor" as a name is the one that actually has meaning to him, and that his original name is irrelevant in the great scheme of things.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Immortality, but a "mortal" memory is a horrible curse.

Williams is killing it in the portrayal, but that's no great surprise.

It's reminding me of Christian Bale in Equilbrium where I can't tell if the actress is doing a really good job of having no emotions because she's 800 years old, or if she's just really dull.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well so far the breathing fire effect is the only part of this episode I haven't enjoyed. :shobon:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I have a feeling that the TARDIS will have some sort of unavoidable field that shuts down the healing device, just the way he keeps pulling faces when she says she wants to go with him.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
This climax is amazing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

This climax is amazing

I was not expecting that standup routine at all, but it was amazing.

Edit: Well I thought that was a great episode, though the big climax was pretty underwhelming. The interactions between the Doctor and Ashildr, and how that colored the scene at the end with Clara were really excellent.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 24, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I liked that. Best two-parter this series so far I think, though it wasn't strictly a two-parter really.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I wonder how that two-parter might have come across if they'd gone one step further and split it round another two-parter? I'm not quite sure that it's as profound and meaningful as they thought it was, but it was still very well done.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Urgh, that episode really didnt hit home for me at all. Maisie Williams just didnt suit the character she was trying to play and the only bits I felt sold on in the episode were when she was begging the doctor to take her with him (It didnt feel like he had any reason not to) and when Sam Swift was punning with the Doctor at the gallows. What a waste.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I really enjoyed that.
They got across the fact that she lived a really loving long time and was sort of broken really well.
They are really foreshadowing Clara leaving. I've gotten this vibe all season that the Doctor knows something that is going to happen, or there is something that he has experienced in the future that he cannot change that we are drifting towards.

2 minor things that jumped out at me - when the soldiers were arresting the Doctor it looked like there was a mike pack or something dangling down from under his breastplate (it certainly looked square and modern and not part of his costume). The fake horse that they made Capaldi jump about on for his closeups was hilariously bad.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

FiftySeven posted:

Urgh, that episode really didnt hit home for me at all. Maisie Williams just didnt suit the character she was trying to play and the only bits I felt sold on in the episode were when she was begging the doctor to take her with him (It didnt feel like he had any reason not to) and when Sam Swift was punning with the Doctor at the gallows. What a waste.

Yeah I just felt really bored during most of that episode, it's almost like I was sedated or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

The fake horse that they made Capaldi jump about on for his closeups was hilariously bad.

Haha, yeah that was pretty terrible I have to admit.

The fire breathing was a little lame, and the big breakdown in the climax where the invading ships are coming through and Ashildr realizes she still cares about people was rushed and messy. But the real strength of the story was in revealing how much being "immortal" had screwed with her, and in her interactions/arguments with the Doctor and in that sense I thought it was excellent. It struck me as another story that would have been stronger as a straight "historical" without the extraneous sci-fi elements.... I mean hell, just the fact she's immortal should have been sci-fi enough.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

FiftySeven posted:

Same. She was just kinda there for the most part - I didn't feel she had much impact in the role. The episode as a whole was ok, I guess. Had I been interested in William's character it might have been better; as it is, it's sorta blandly enjoyable. Overall better than the first part, but both are just okay. Neither really did anything for me. :geno:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The Fire Breathing Cat King was pretty cool for all of the 20 seconds he did stuff, and it wasn't a bad episode as far as things went.

kant
May 12, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Well so far the breathing fire effect is the only part of this episode I haven't enjoyed. :shobon:

Agreed. I understand needing to make him seem like more of a threat but that was just dumb. The same with the glowing eyes bit.

Besides that I thought it was a good solid episode. I feel like the whole season has ranged from a B- to B+.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Clara's gonna die, the Doctor's already seen it and he's going back in time to recapture his time with her/save her, and Ashildr is gonna try and stop him from loving with the natural order of the universe.

At least that's what I hope happens. Really good episode, aside from suffering from Unnecessary Monster Syndrome.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Enjoyable episode, I thought, but the cat dude reminded me too much of Ron Perlman in Beauty and the Beast and it was distracting.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That was a nice sort of silly story with serious bits. Or maybe serious with silly. I liked it, but it wasn't mind-blowing or anything. The stand-up bit took me completely by surprise, I think that made it even better.

Long live the Sonic Shades.

Also I like that the Doctor just plays the guitar now. And he could do with a hobby that doesn't kill people quite so often.

Oh, and is it just me or did everyone say "amulet" in a weird way?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that even though the Doctor doesn't give a poo poo about money and it was all stolen anyway, he still ripped off those two guards he bribed by only giving them 30 pounds :)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't know exactly what time period that was, but didn't like, 7 pounds used to be a ridiculous amount? I know in the 1600s it was around 7 pounds to book a trip to the Americas and it was far more than most people would ever be able to afford (hence selling themselves into indentured servitude to get to the colonies).

Unless the TARDIS translates currency amounts.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 25, 2015

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The structure of this episode felt weird to me. Not bad, just...weird. Like the opening two-parter, I expect that this will go down a lot better on a rewatch. I still quite enjoyed it this time, though.

Fun fact: this series the new series will tie the classic series in number of female writers. There's a lot of wiggle room on that though; since Pip and Jane Baker worked as a team and who knows who actually wrote Attack of the Cybermen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jsor posted:

I don't know exactly what time period that was, but didn't like, 7 pounds used to be a ridiculous amount? I know in the 1600s it was around 7 pounds to book a trip to the Americas and it was far more than most people would ever be able to afford (hence selling themselves into indentured servitude to get to the colonies).

Unless the TARDIS translates currency amounts.

As the guards said, the amount was "a small fortune" for the time - it's just that Ashildr had much, much, much, much more than that and the Doctor still "only" gave them 30 pounds.

It's fun as a joke, but also I guess it makes sense in that they're more likely to believe there is 30 pounds in the house as opposed to saying what would be the 2015 equivalent of,"There's a billion-gajillion dollars in the house!"

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jerusalem posted:

As the guards said, the amount was "a small fortune" for the time - it's just that Ashildr had much, much, much, much more than that and the Doctor still "only" gave them 30 pounds.

It's fun as a joke, but also I guess it makes sense in that they're more likely to believe there is 30 pounds in the house as opposed to saying what would be the 2015 equivalent of,"There's a billion-gajillion dollars in the house!"

Right, that makes sense.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Woman Who Lived gifs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

For such a dialogue-heavy episode (which I really enjoyed), there was still some really nice visuals I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm betting on Clara dying, and I think the Eye Of Hades may be what does it. This is because it was talking about "opening the way to hell" and such (episode title spoiler:) and the final episode is named Hell Bent. Ashildr will probably be involved.

• Locked thread