Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Locomotive Insanity: Russia Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ql3DBLILTA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Canna Happy posted:

Anyone here taken the operations management test for up? I feel like this furlough might be longer than I can handle.

Yes, its just basic personality/all accidents are preventable/can you understand basic logic bullshit tests. I don't know if management would be the route to go though. I mean, they just poo poo canned around 1000 or so.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Canna Happy posted:

Anyone here taken the operations management test for up? I feel like this furlough might be longer than I can handle.

no, but they're probably all the same

sat type questions
personality questions(team player, not afraid to make decisions, self motivated; that sort of thing)

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yes, its just basic personality/all accidents are preventable/can you understand basic logic bullshit tests. I don't know if management would be the route to go though. I mean, they just poo poo canned around 1000 or so.

I was looking at yardmaster positions (I keep seeing them pop up on the job website), not myo/mto. I've got 9 years in, but I can't even hold the awrr board at the moment.

vains
May 26, 2004

Canna Happy posted:

I was looking at yardmaster positions (I keep seeing them pop up on the job website), not myo/mto. I've got 9 years in, but I can't even hold the awrr board at the moment.

are these internal only?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

are these internal only?

Yes.

vains
May 26, 2004

why wouldnt you be hammering away at these? base pay for yardmasters is typically better than most conductor/foreman jobs, ot is unlimited since you aren't bound by hours of service and you're home every night.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

why wouldnt you be hammering away at these? base pay for yardmasters is typically better than most conductor/foreman jobs, ot is unlimited since you aren't bound by hours of service and you're home every night.

It's a pretty decent sized pay cut actually, but considering I haven't worked a full year since...2011 (?), its not really a pay cut. My road job is home every night also. No afht.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

McDeth posted:

That's somewhere in the Balkans like Croatia, I believe.

vains
May 26, 2004

Canna Happy posted:

It's a pretty decent sized pay cut actually, but considering I haven't worked a full year since...2011 (?), its not really a pay cut. My road job is home every night also. No afht.

maintain your conductor seniority

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Yeah yardmaster is a good gig.

And you retain Trainmen's seniority. I've looked into it myself, just waiting for a couple old guys to go. I'm pretty much a shoe in at my yard, seeing how run the smaller yard by myself.

Edit: I just can't do management for this place. They treat them like poo poo, when I heard conference calls, the middle management pretty much are the biggest condescending assholes on the phone and berate the MTO/MYO every time.

I am shocked. 11 years and you can't hold. I know coal country is pretty thin, but not that thin.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 15, 2015

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yeah yardmaster is a good gig.

And you retain Trainmen's seniority. I've looked into it myself, just waiting for a couple old guys to go. I'm pretty much a shoe in at my yard, seeing how run the smaller yard by myself.

Edit: I just can't do management for this place. They treat them like poo poo, when I heard conference calls, the middle management pretty much are the biggest condescending assholes on the phone and berate the MTO/MYO every time.

I am shocked. 11 years and you can't hold. I know coal country is pretty thin, but not that thin.

Only 9 years, but yeah, almost to the point where its a bit ridiculous in my opinion. We're down ~50 pools/extra board slots to match and most of the helper jobs (just at my terminal) compared to when I hired out, and the old guys seem to never pull the pin. I didn't think you got to keep your seniority date? Because the way I read it, the yardmaster is an agreement position so when you accept the job, you relinquish your rights due to craft transfer. Its not like going to a non agreement management type job.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Nope, you keep your rights as a conductor. We have several guys that have done it. Hell one guy just bowed out a month ago and is now running trains like usual.
You're former cnw territory right?

vains
May 26, 2004

i think that, as long as you continue paying your dues as a conductor, you will retain your seniority.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

CSX isn't wasting any time getting the hell out of the ex-Clinchfield line, are they?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Boomer The Cannon posted:

CSX isn't wasting any time getting the hell out of the ex-Clinchfield line, are they?

Coal is dead/dying, and they are freaking the gently caress out. I'm not sure how bad its going to get, but if you work in coal country/main line coal business, its time to get out, because its not going to get any better any time soon.

They could go after new business, but that would require them to provide timely service, something they have yet to understand.

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Coal is dead/dying, and they are freaking the gently caress out. I'm not sure how bad its going to get, but if you work in coal country/main line coal business, its time to get out, because its not going to get any better any time soon.

They could go after new business, but that would require them to provide timely service, something they have yet to understand.

1800 furloughed. just got an email from cindy w/ how to answer some questions. one of them is, predictably, how to answer if managers are getting canned and how to answer if any of the e-team are taking paycuts.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

1800 furloughed. just got an email from cindy w/ how to answer some questions. one of them is, predictably, how to answer if managers are getting canned and how to answer if any of the e-team are taking paycuts.

I know the UP is canning managers as well, I think the current number stands around 1000. There's 2900 furloughed system wide, and not sure how high that number is going to get. Plus we had a huge drop in frac sand business, so that's not helping at all. All the rest of the traffic has been steady.

Its not pretty, that's for sure.

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I know the UP is canning managers as well, I think the current number stands around 1000. There's 2900 furloughed system wide, and not sure how high that number is going to get. Plus we had a huge drop in frac sand business, so that's not helping at all. All the rest of the traffic has been steady.

Its not pretty, that's for sure.

rough times

intermodal is, thank god, the only bright spot for csx. tremendous pressure to cut cost w/out impact to service though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I know we are down quite a few units but nothing terrible.

There's only so much that can be cut before you start impacting service. They are doing a terrible job, very knee jerk reactions.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
"I swear he swerved right in front of me!" - Van driver, probably

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This is pretty impressive, might have been posted before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hzQtnz2GuE

Pretty quick track work to do that move.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
That's pretty impressive. I knew of tram operators would use temporary track for tricks like this:

But never seen it done with heavier types of rail for shorter durations.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Truck driver ignored the lights, nobody is hurt seriously, but the track got messed up pretty badly

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"I'm so happy they started jump starting the car on the tracks instead of pushing it to a safer spot first." http://imgur.com/gallery/YkFarZQ

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Wilford Cutlery posted:

"I'm so happy they started jump starting the car on the tracks instead of pushing it to a safer spot first." http://imgur.com/gallery/YkFarZQ

Would have been better off to use the jumper cables on the track, and set off the block signaling or whatever, if it was really stuck on there somehow.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

bennyfactor posted:

Would have been better off to use the jumper cables on the track, and set off the block signaling or whatever, if it was really stuck on there somehow.

This is the smartest dumbest idea I've ever heard! Low-boy trailers and car haulers should keep a set on board for such instances...

NoWake fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 24, 2015

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'll take "Insurance fraud" for $1,000 thanks, Alex.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 24, 2015

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

NoWake posted:

This is the smartest dumbest idea I've ever heard! Low-boy trailers and car haulers should keep a set on board for such instances...

Relative who is a rural fire chief in a town on the Norfolk Southern mainline figured this one out. Trucks leaving one of the grain elevators in his town turn the wrong way, ignore a "no trucks" sign, and high center on the tracks a couple times a year.

vains
May 26, 2004

jumper cables connecting one rail to the other is pretty much just a shunt for e-testing.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

:stonk:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

McDeth posted:

New Russian Tier 4 low emissions locomotive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG0N58_dUuY

http://www.fox4news.com/news/38277654-story

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

B4Ctom1 posted:

New Russian Tier 4 low emissions locomotive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG0N58_dUuY

Wow, the new rubber tire-electric locomotives are looking good!

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

CNN I'd already trying to leap to how much baby killing, toxic republicans have been spilled.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Has anyone started where exactly this happened yet? The Texas registration sticker and the appearance of the area makes me think it's in Watauga.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Tex Avery posted:

Has anyone started where exactly this happened yet? The Texas registration sticker and the appearance of the area makes me think it's in Watauga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw44Zx0jP6s

vains
May 26, 2004

Tex Avery posted:

because people are ignorant of trains or physics

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBYqdmsxeCQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That's right in front of the station inn, a railfan B&B. I've been there a couple times. It's lucky as hell those cars all stayed on the tracks but that's going to be a major headache for NS. That line sees about 80 trains a day.

Edit: Didn't see the date on that, that was last year.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 1, 2015