Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Genghis Cohen posted:

I believe it would have been -6 because change facing is -3, with a further -3 for FtF ARO against a surprise shot. Camo markers have Stealth, so he would not have the opportunity to Change Facing for a move inside ZoC and outside LoF.
Right, forgot about camo automatically granting Stealth. Yeah, see, this makes using the Alert ARO even more important, and probably worth sacrificing the one dude who could see the camo marker's initial move.

Genghis Cohen posted:

This is all correct, bear in mind though that dodging/change facing or anything else which isn't 'shoot' would break the Squalo's Suppressive Fire state.
Absolutely. But what good is retaining your Suppressive Fire state if you're socked in with smoke and have no LoF to anything?

Genghis Cohen posted:

Mugaaz, these are all tricks based on a precise understanding of the rules. Your opponent was maybe a bit of a berk to just spring them on you, if I were playing a new player I would at least have explained as I went into the orders what I was going to do, and probably warned you to not stack up your models in a line behind a building (this is an incredibly common mistake for rookie players to make). On the other hand, that's the guy you want to learn from as those moves both sound like efficient ways to take out models, and he probably understands the game well.
This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Why would I ever go to the main page of the wiki when I just google "infinity wiki smoke" etc :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

MEMORIES....... MEMORIES... :shepface:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

MEMORIES....... MEMORIES... :shepface:

If you have a spare pair of combi arms from those, I'd appreciate them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I actually might do mate. I'm planning to mate every version except the R-Drone. Still on the mind about double M-Drone though but if I do have some spare I'll post 'em to ya.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ilor posted:

Absolutely. But what good is retaining your Suppressive Fire state if you're socked in with smoke and have no LoF to anything?

Im playing devils advocate but if a MSV2 unit shot at your unit in smoke and in supressive fire you could attack back.

You would be firing at BS -6 - (Range mod) - (Cover mod) - (Opponent special defensive bs).

They would be firing at BS -3 (Supressive fire) - (Range mod) - (Cover mod) - (opponent special defensive bs)

So only if you knew they were going to fire at your supressive dood would it be handy to not dodge. Which.. will never happen!

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Laphroaig posted:

Why would I ever go to the main page of the wiki when I just google "infinity wiki smoke" etc :v:

I never thought to do it that way :aaaaa:

I am dumb as a sack of bricks

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So speculation time do you guys think the new Overdron Batroid is going to be just a Batroid Squalo or something unique? The render showed it having a HMC or Autocannon style gun and PSR on the dossier so it may do something unique other than being Unidron Prime.

also lol at how much chunkier these remotes are to my Sphinx

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I don't think my opponent was being a dick. Just a complaint the some of the rules are real loving awkward. The thing where smoke somehow magically goes up a and then over the building, but doesn't penetrate a building is loving weird. Since there was a guard rail on this roof, in theory a model in prone only has smoke above him at the point the guard rail ends, and can shoot other people in the foot. The Squalo has his left foot in the smoke, his head isn't near it, but now he is 100% blind. Just a lot of minor strange things leading to something insanely bizarre.

The stealth interaction actually makes sense in retrospect, but I couldn't see it coming before having faced it. I should have ARO'd with discover in that *specific* situation, if he shoots me big deal, he kills 1 fusileer, is now revealed, and the fusileer being dead now gives LOF to my other model. Holding my ARO was the worst possible choice. There is also an argument for ARO with alert.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ilor posted:

Yeah, I don't know if I've ever seen an ALEPH list that didn't have a gently caress-ton of Myrmidons.

I'll admit to always bringing at least one, since smoke is boss. On the other hand, give me some of that HI on the 25-40 point range that seems to be all the rage, and you'll go months without seeing me field a myrm.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzasty (and other sneaky sneaky players) am I high as a kite or did I just imagine that Sheskiin had ODD in N2 and lost it? E: yeah I was definitely on something, not sure where that came from.

Also do you need just the combi rifle? Looking over this I don't have the opposite arm. I'm gonna build the SML Drone and proxy him if I need to.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 23, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
You're drunk. And I need the other arm too, not just the weapon, so I'll go bug Cho.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 23, 2015

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah looking over it I don't, sorry chap, I don't have a spare claw arm. I'll have the Combis, just not the claw.

Not enough ODD Smoke? here's Nimbus on the house motherfuckers.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 23, 2015

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Laphroaig posted:

With the changes to Suppressive Fire, I think cheap units being dumped into it 4 at a time with 1 coordinated order is a pretty good deal.

I was wondering if that was a legal use for a coordinated order. Seems like a good thing to do with your last order before you pass the turn.

Is there any downside to doing this I might not be aware of?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Spending the command token is really the only sort of cost to it. I mean I usually do that action once or twice every game because it's pretty rude. The flipside is suppressive fire isn't quite as lethal when actually shooting at mans because of the balls range bands on it. It's a drat good deterrent, especially on a TO Camo unit (looking at you, Anathematic)

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
The consistent problem I have when using Suppression Fire (not disputing that it is a great tool) is its vulnerability to Camo Surprise Shots, same as with total reaction models. -3 for surprise, camo, range, and cover hits -12 comfortably, so most models in the game are still vulnerable to getting picked off. One of the reasons camo is just such a great offensive tool, and honestly although I don't think it's overpowered in individual cases, I can see why camo spam armies are rated very, very highly in some metas - while they can be defeated like anything in Infinity, they are hard to stop on the reactive turn.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Genghis Cohen posted:

The consistent problem I have when using Suppression Fire (not disputing that it is a great tool) is its vulnerability to Camo Surprise Shots, same as with total reaction models. -3 for surprise, camo, range, and cover hits -12 comfortably, so most models in the game are still vulnerable to getting picked off. One of the reasons camo is just such a great offensive tool, and honestly although I don't think it's overpowered in individual cases, I can see why camo spam armies are rated very, very highly in some metas - while they can be defeated like anything in Infinity, they are hard to stop on the reactive turn.

Supression fire/Total reaction is one of the ways my buddy handles my camo units. Nothing like doing a suprise shot and eating a sniper shot , a total reaction HMG, and a rifle shot from something.

With total reaciton HMG/Supression fire you have a 18% chance of critting.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Exmond posted:

Supression fire/Total reaction is one of the ways my buddy handles my camo units. Nothing like doing a suprise shot and eating a sniper shot , a total reaction HMG, and a rifle shot from something.

Attack a total reaction drone that will suffer -9 crom camo/range/surprise shot, get critted on several 2s. That's almost a rule.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I appreciate the point that multiple AROs can still create a threat to Camo models, but realistically I would take the risk of attacking against a TR bot on -9 to hit, more pertinently I could easily take the TR bot to -12, completely neutralising its role. Not saying TR bots are worthless, just saying that TO camo and in the right range band normal camo are pretty much hard counters to them.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Had my first proper game today, 150pts ALEPH vs Morats. Brought an Asura lt, Naga hacker, 3x Dakinis, and 2x Netrods. The Asura being made of armour and gently caress you really helped but it was pretty down-to-the-wire, with both of us ending with two models and two orders. Fortunately in my case one was an Asura and just walked over to things and machinegunned them down, but it could've been close at some points.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
If all I want is the fluff, am I going to miss anything by snagging the N2 rulebook on the cheap?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

If all I want is the fluff, am I going to miss anything by snagging the N2 rulebook on the cheap?
Nothing at all dude. N3 is essentially a rewrite of the same fluff, but they are different enough.

spectralent posted:

Had my first proper game today, 150pts ALEPH vs Morats. Brought an Asura lt, Naga hacker, 3x Dakinis, and 2x Netrods. The Asura being made of armour and gently caress you really helped but it was pretty down-to-the-wire, with both of us ending with two models and two orders. Fortunately in my case one was an Asura and just walked over to things and machinegunned them down, but it could've been close at some points.
Sweet, glad you enjoyed it dude. How are you finding the game flows to other systems?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

Sweet, glad you enjoyed it dude. How are you finding the game flows to other systems?

Not quite sure what you mean. If you meant understanding it: I find the rules easy to grasp, and I really can't tell you how happy I am the entire game is... "non-exception based", I guess. I really, really appreciate that everyone combat-drops the same and nothing has some weird special rule only it uses (Well, I'm aware there's a couple of those, but compared to most games where every core infantry unit has totally different weapon stats, "It's a BS 12 combi rifle" is really nice).

True line of sight still gets me at times, and I cannot tell you how annoying it is that damage works the reverse of every other roll in the game. It feels like you could just have low-damage weapons be better and have armour add to damage giving the thing you roll under. Also cover! Cover is a bit weird too, given the whole "Needs to be touching" thing. I did almost lose my robot lady to some guns when I walked past something that could see over a huge car in the way naively assuming that since two 2" silhouettes had a 1.5" car between them I'd be in cover.

That said, again, it's all consistent; some of that was a surprise but nothing was printed in someone else's army book leaving me with no idea what's going on while my stuff died. I could spot what'd happened. I really appreciate that from a lot of games where playing someone more experience leads to lots of "Well, sounds like bullshit but GG I guess" stuff.

Speaking of we're up to 200 next week, is this total trash:

Aleph
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

Group 1 10 0 0
NETROD Electric Pulse. (4)
ASURA Lieutenant MULTI Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, AP CCW. (68)
DAKINI Tacbot Combi Rifle / Electric Pulse. (13)
DAKINI Tacbot Combi Rifle / Electric Pulse. (13)
DEVA Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (23)
SOPHOTECT Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (31)
NAGA Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 32)
YUDBOT Electric Pulse. (3)
YUDBOT Electric Pulse. (3)

0.5 SWC | 198 Points

Open with Army 5

EDIT: Fuckgn, that was a third dakini, not a thoritaki.
EDIT2: Points glitched out! Just the two.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 24, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Yes. You're going to miss the Human Sphere and Campaign Paradiso :v:

If you mean missing stuff compared to core N3, nah you'll miss very little.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

spectralent posted:

Not quite sure what you mean. If you meant understanding it: I find the rules easy to grasp, and I really can't tell you how happy I am the entire game is... "non-exception based", I guess. I really, really appreciate that everyone combat-drops the same and nothing has some weird special rule only it uses (Well, I'm aware there's a couple of those, but compared to most games where every core infantry unit has totally different weapon stats, "It's a BS 12 combi rifle" is really nice).

True line of sight still gets me at times, and I cannot tell you how annoying it is that damage works the reverse of every other roll in the game. It feels like you could just have low-damage weapons be better and have armour add to damage giving the thing you roll under. Also cover! Cover is a bit weird too, given the whole "Needs to be touching" thing. I did almost lose my robot lady to some guns when I walked past something that could see over a huge car in the way naively assuming that since two 2" silhouettes had a 1.5" car between them I'd be in cover.

That said, again, it's all consistent; some of that was a surprise but nothing was printed in someone else's army book leaving me with no idea what's going on while my stuff died. I could spot what'd happened. I really appreciate that from a lot of games where playing someone more experience leads to lots of "Well, sounds like bullshit but GG I guess" stuff.
Yeah, I mean the way the game sort of plays out to other things, it's a bit jump from regular You Go I Go systems with the Order and ARO mechanics and it's something I really love about the game. It's also an entire game where stats are in the margins, which makes those small margins mean so much more when it comes to stacking MODs.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It's certainly a hell of a lot more interactive than Flames of War.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Yes. You're going to miss the Human Sphere and Campaign Paradiso :v:

If you mean missing stuff compared to core N3, nah you'll miss very little.

Yeah, but those cost more than twenty bucks. :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Give them a little while and they won't. Most stores will drop the price on them when N3 versions actually come out.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
When and how the gently caress did I get 500 points of USAriadna? I feel like I'm being invaded or something. Gotta check for oil.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

They're liberating you mate

Just am down, bend over and accept the fate of modern day Poland

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
It's like Carlos said in their BoW intro bat-rep: their guns are loaded with liberty, their bullets are full of freedom.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
That the militant orders TAG? I think I need to start a Pan O army......

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Amazing sculpt. Is this going to be a melee tag?

e: Or some kind of combat jump.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 26, 2015

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

New rules for it Friday.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Insufficiently jewel-like, wondrous.

Tell me about the Space French. They seem pretty hard-hitting for Ariadnians, they have easy access to X-visors, and they look pretty cool.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

space french have the best camo-infilitrators in the game, and consistent mid range game, but lack the smoke, mega-wolves, irregular, and msv options of other people. they've also got the most point inefficient cheerleaders and heavy infantry of adriana. mirage-5 is fun and gets you a megawulf but is a giant red flag to anyone familiar with the sectorial.

they're also the least fleshed out, with only 9 unique troop choices.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0jbde7SlPk

That Tag looks gigantic. Is it still going to be S6?

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

No its S7 and reworked.

MRRF are getting redone so take what is there with a grain of salt.

• Locked thread