Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Yeah, the AI is gonna just take out BANK loans if they need them so they'll never take them from the player. The closest you can get to economic illuminaughty on single player is subsidizing the enemies of your enemies or using rebel intervention to invent CBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrier
May 12, 2009

I feel like muscovy/russia strats are the only thing discussed in this thread sometimes jesus. I've never had any inclination to play them, but it seems im in the minority.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carrier posted:

I feel like muscovy/russia strats are the only thing discussed in this thread sometimes jesus. I've never had any inclination to play them, but it seems im in the minority.

I think its cool how the Orthodox faith has one of the easiest starts and one of the hardest starts in Europe.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

One of these days I'm going to have to try real Orthodox hard mode, and pick up the Komnenos achievement.

It'll give me a good excuse to go port in the Legacy of Rome tracks from CK2 too.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Extending loans is when you can't or won't pay the loan back so you take more interest and inflation to increase the duration. The AI won't even take loans from players anymore because it was too easy to abuse for a cb.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Is there any way to change an ally's defensive position with me as Brandenburg? Poland has just one county I need to form Prussia and I should theoretically be able to crush them with my Austria, Hungary, and Muscovy alliance but I can't even get close to having my allies jump into a war.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

gently caress tell me that I can get them under an union and if so HOW DO I DO IT?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Transmetropolitan posted:

gently caress tell me that I can get them under an union and if so HOW DO I DO IT?

At 20 years of age your chances of a PU from this are nowhere where you'd want them to be. It is very, very rare for a ruler to die that young.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Transmetropolitan posted:

Dynastic actions -> claim throne, declare war, beat france & their allies in a war & get a 100%-warscore peace. Easy.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Poland-Lithuania just won a pair of concurrent wars against Brandenburg, Austria, Hungary, Muscovy, The Ottomans, and Crimea. Why is this game so hard :sigh:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Dynastic actions -> claim throne, declare war, beat france & their allies in a war & get a 100%-warscore peace. Easy.

Now there is a mechanic that I always absolutely forget about it.

I should do a diplomacy-heavy game just to learn these shenanigans - I tried with Austria but it never clicked for me

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Carrier posted:

Not that anyone cares about whatever you're trying to say with that last sentence, but the thread also moves in waves and usually a bunch of people are talking about whatever start is popular at the moment. Russia/Muscovy chat is popular because they're an interesting start accessible to almost anyone, but before that it was Venicechat and we had some good discussion about Ternate and Ayutthaya. Maybe post a start that you're interested in and get some other people to play along?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Prop Wash posted:

Not that anyone cares about whatever you're trying to say with that last sentence, but the thread also moves in waves and usually a bunch of people are talking about whatever start is popular at the moment. Russia/Muscovy chat is popular because they're an interesting start accessible to almost anyone, but before that it was Venicechat and we had some good discussion about Ternate and Ayutthaya. Maybe post a start that you're interested in and get some other people to play along?

Speaking of which, my muscovy game got screwed by poland-lithuania, gently caress them. They kicked my rear end hard, then poland inherited and they are ravaging everyone else. I lost interest because beating down lovely hordes and colonizing endless 1-1-1 arctic provinces sucks.

I was thinking about doing a Japan run or something like that to shake things up and not have to gently caress with Europe too much, any pointers?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I'm doing a Commonwealth run right now, and I'm considering taking espionage just for the +20% cavalry combat ability policy.

+73% cavalry combat ability with quality.
:eyepop:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Chickpea Roar posted:

I'm doing a Commonwealth run right now, and I'm considering taking espionage just for the +20% cavalry combat ability policy.

+73% cavalry combat ability with quality.
:eyepop:

The problem with Cavalry combat ability is that it requires you to run cavalry over infantry to get good mileage out of, which makes for armies that hit like trucks but fold horribly if you run into someone who rolls well in the first fire phase.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

This will give you a trillion AE.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Prop Wash posted:

Yeah, with every new patch there will be a few nations that become particularly interesting or fun plays, someone will post a guide to some whacky strategy, a new player will come asking for advice.

If someone thinks there's too much Russia-chat then ask about literally anything else and I guarantee you'll have half a dozen of us sperg for pages about it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, with every new patch there will be a few nations that become particularly interesting or fun plays, someone will post a guide to some whacky strategy, a new player will come asking for advice.

If someone thinks there's too much Russia-chat then ask about literally anything else and I guarantee you'll have half a dozen of us sperg for pages about it.

I need advice on a Chimu one-tag world conquest.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

My Commonwealth game is in the 1640s and in the "stomp on the OE's face repeatedly" phase and after I pacified the Sejm this particular game is losing its interest.

Here's what I have thought about for a potential next run:

- Venice, do trade stuff, do naval stuff, maybe try recreating Byz or just dominate the Mediterranean

- Portugal, familiarize myself with colonial stuff, try out a random new world (did this in EU3)

- Ethiopia, interesting African start with lots of money and troops and enemies around

- Vijayanagar, game in India (did this in EU3)

- Maybe form the Netherlands with a Dutch (did this too in EU3)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Antti posted:

- Portugal, familiarize myself with colonial stuff, try out a random new world (did this in EU3)

Wait on the random new world until Cossacks comes out. Going to make it 1,234,951 times better.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

brb gotta finish my Chimu playthrough~

Antti posted:

My Commonwealth game is in the 1640s and in the "stomp on the OE's face repeatedly" phase and after I pacified the Sejm this particular game is losing its interest.

- Vijayanagar, game in India (did this in EU3)

imo do this. India and non-European nations in general are way way more interesting, fun, and viable than in EU3. Vij is good but Bahmanis, Delhi, Jaunpur, Bengal are all similarly strong. If you've never played a Hindu nation, highly recommended.

Edit: even though all but Vij (of the ones I listed) start out Muslim, they all get Heathen Tolerance bonuses which make them very chill with Hindus. You can easily convert to Hindu from Muslim if you want to play as a strong Hindu nation who's not Vij. Most of those nations get Muslim-specific events until the early 1500s, so maybe stay Muslim for a bit and don't bother converting provinces. When you want to go Hindu, send a missionary to a Hindu province which will spark some unrest toward a Hindu Zealot rebellion. Then simply go into the rebels management menu and accept demands. As long as you have 50%+ Hindu provinces it's a snap to convert, and all of the big Indian Muslims start out 100% Hindu.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 24, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So I've gone through a couple runs at Granada and I'm running into the wall of "okay, I've completely destroyed Castille but now I'm straddled by Portugal and Aragon and my only allies are useless North Africans and maybe the Ottomans who are useless aside from deterrent but often alliance break out of boredom". Do I just give in and switch to Catholic so I can enmesh myself fully into Euro politics or is there something I'm missing?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Fintilgin posted:

Wait on the random new world until Cossacks comes out. Going to make it 1,234,951 times better.

Oh, okay. I'll probably only have time to play one game before Cossacks is out anyway, so looks like it's an India game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Antti posted:

Oh, okay. I'll probably only have time to play one game before Cossacks is out anyway, so looks like it's an India game.

general advice for India games - MERCS. Your base province manpower is kinda low, and the terrain is lots of tropical jungles, deserts, you're going to take horrifying amounts of attrition. You're very wealthy though so can afford lots of mercenaries.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
It's so satisfying seeing a long time enemy nation turn from rival to :stonk: after making a brutal example out of their neighbors.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Eej posted:

So I've gone through a couple runs at Granada and I'm running into the wall of "okay, I've completely destroyed Castille but now I'm straddled by Portugal and Aragon and my only allies are useless North Africans and maybe the Ottomans who are useless aside from deterrent but often alliance break out of boredom". Do I just give in and switch to Catholic so I can enmesh myself fully into Euro politics or is there something I'm missing?

If you can get France on your side, the rest of Iberia is yours. Alternatively, see if any Portugal or Aragon rivals strong enough to matter will team up with you.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I wonder if EU4 is ever going to have good naval transport. Having to dock -> load -> undock -> unload each time is annoying. Sure, you could autotransport, but that takes like 3x as long.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

GreyPowerVan posted:

I wonder if EU4 is ever going to have good naval transport. Having to dock -> load -> undock -> unload each time is annoying. Sure, you could autotransport, but that takes like 3x as long.

Yeah the way autotransport works is kind of annoying. I wish it was changed so it would automatically pick them up from the shore, instead of acting like you right clicked the troops and had them walk on/off the shore.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Node posted:

Yeah the way autotransport works is kind of annoying. I wish it was changed so it would automatically pick them up from the shore, instead of acting like you right clicked the troops and had them walk on/off the shore.

That's what I mean, yeah.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Node posted:

Can you even do a true one tag world conquest now that Australia is a colonial zone? Even if you leave it empty, it'd be hard to keep all Europeans out.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Yashichi posted:

Good thing dip tech doesn't matter at all!

@Interest/loans people: You take .1 inflation every time you take or extend a loan and inflation is bullshit so you should never ever take a loan

Good thing ducats don't matter at all!

Anything you can do that lets you turn worthless ducats into something useful like troops, monarch points, or whatever is always a good deal. Take as many loans as you can before letting anything important be cut out of the budget

Fintilgin posted:

Can you even do a true one tag world conquest now that Australia is a colonial zone? Even if you leave it empty, it'd be hard to keep all Europeans out.

The only way to stop AI's from colonizing Australia would be to eliminate every AI who took exploration and has a port somewhere before any of them have a chance to get into SEA. But since stopping colonizers is usually the first priority of any WC it shouldn't be 100% impossible.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 24, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

420 Gank Mid posted:

The only way to stop AI's from colonizing Australia would be to eliminate every AI who took exploration and has a port somewhere before any of them have a chance to get into SEA. But since stopping colonizers is usually the first priority of any WC it shouldn't be 100% impossible.

You don't really need to. Colonial territory gets conquered so easily, and for 0 OE, that you can often leave it to last. In my last WC I conquered the entirety of the Americas starting after 1720.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Dibujante posted:

You don't really need to. Colonial territory gets conquered so easily, and for 0 OE, that you can often leave it to last. In my last WC I conquered the entirety of the Americas starting after 1720.

Yes but if any territory is in a colonial region it will not be under your tag. We were explicitly talking about 'true one-tag WC' after all.

The only way you could do that would be, starting in the Americas and keeping everyone out of Australia/New Zealand

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yes but if any territory is in a colonial region it will not be under your tag. We were explicitly talking about 'true one-tag WC' after all.

The only way you could do that would be, starting in the Americas and keeping everyone out of Australia/New Zealand

Oh, I see. Nonetheless, you don't need to keep anyone out of Australia/New Zealand. Just don't core what you take. It gives 0 OE anyways.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kalos posted:

If you can get France on your side, the rest of Iberia is yours. Alternatively, see if any Portugal or Aragon rivals strong enough to matter will team up with you.

Argh, just lost the game cause I got too greedy and had both Tlemcen and Leon as vassals and back to back wars let me scoop out like 10 provinces from Castille and Morocco in two years. I got antsy and fed Madrid and another fat province to Leon which was enough to push liberty high enough to stall my annexation of Tlemcen at 81%.

One CTA with Tunis against Aragon was enough to weaken me for a war of independence that bankrupted me. Which sucks because I had Iberia painted like the flag of Italy by 1470.

Quick question though, am I correct in thinking that monarch points are "worth" less for non Western nations because you need more of them for technology so using them for development/rebellion suppression etc. sets your progress to the next tech less than if you were Western? I was floating 700 military points and I probably just coulda smashed rebellions down while I fixed my overextension and integrated Tlemcen.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Dibujante posted:

Oh, I see. Nonetheless, you don't need to keep anyone out of Australia/New Zealand. Just don't core what you take. It gives 0 OE anyways.

Good point! I forgot you needed cores for a CN to form

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
My Venice->Byzamtium game has gone very well, but boy does the game reward you to be the big purple blob. All of those missions to pick up different provinces for prestige and tech are great and really push you. It's 1694 and I own all of Italy minus a tiny Papal State, the remains of a once-strong Tuscany and my vassal Savoy. France, Teutonic Order, Livonian Order and Bohemia have been my always-friends for the last 150 years, and I've actually been throwing my mercenary corps and my army when manpower is above 90% into their wars. Supporting the Protestant League was super fun and the first time I've ever had it fire off in a EU game, it has unfortunately left the HRE in a pseudo-shambles with Emperor Saxony getting -.14 and everyone opposing all decisions.

I've completed Plutocratic, Offensive, Diplomatic, Humanist and am working on Innovative. I'm going to pick up Maritime next so that I can pick up Thalassocracy and get the Naval ability to start taking it to Britain and Spain in their colonies. The Thirteen Colonies really messed up their Independance war by loading all of their duded onto ships and immediately getting sunk by the British, but they deserve a second chance!

I'm really looking forward to the expanded diplomatic part of the game because I've felt a little guilty about pulling France into a war with tiny Hungary over nothing so that they can't help their other allies that I actually want provinces from. Right now the only blocker for my fun is my vassal Georgia. They really aren't fabricating any claims for me and I kind of want to get an Indian trade company by going through Azerbaijan and Persia. Otherwise they are useful, and will act as a nice buffer for if Russia ever acts on their Rivalling of me. Is there any way to get your vassals to make more claims? What if I turned them into a March?

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

I think they should make it like CK2 somehow, where you move your armies onto a sea tile and the game takes care of the rest. Transports are pretty useless outside of moving armies around so I don't think taking them out of the game would be a huge loss. I almost always play land powers just because micro-managing armies and navies around the world is such a chore.

Granted, the game is definitely better than EU3, what with colonial nations and the addition of a bunch of useful crossings (good GOD the Antilles in EU3).

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Also, I really REALLY want to get involved in another independence war from one of Spain's colonies but try as I might I'm not being summoned into it. I allied Spanish Brazil, have waited a couple of months, and nothing. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I'm playing my first game as Castile and it's somehow gone really well so far. But this game offers a lot of ways to frustrate yourself. Especially when doing a lot of amphibious operations in the colonies, sometimes I drop an army off on an island to reset attrition at sea, and then move to the target -- only I forgot to attach to transport again so the fleet gets to make another round trip across the Atlantic.

Anyway, in a recent war against France I was trying to take a couple of their colonial provinces. One went smoothly enough, but when I dropped troops on the other the army became exiled :confused: I couldn't even get them back because the ships couldn't get into port. How does exile work when you're still at war? I know that my claim fabrication on the second province wasn't done yet, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Also, is it worth it to just attack the natives when colonizing? I've been trying to avoid the genocide route but the micro required in the more aggressive regions is draining

• Locked thread