Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Since you bring him up, what would you think are the chances that Trump's run results in the RNC instituting some equivalent rules change to their 2012 "No Ron Pauls" rule? Personally, I'd think it's pretty unlikely they'd bother, unless Trump actually does do what I secret hope he will, and drop out triumphantly a day or two after Jeb! ends his campaign, or if he reneges on his promise not to run 3rd party, which I'd rate even less likely to happen.

A lot of really smart people are going to be stunned out of their minds when Trump wins NH and Carson wins IA and their garbage candidates have no hope to make up the ground lost by that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Lotka Volterra posted:

Funny enough, I actually miss Casey's breakfast pizza. I don't remember it even being that great as a kid, but I had it a lot before classes in high school and it grew on me.

It's pretty good for what it is, I just love some of the people in Iowa who act like Casey's is some kind of gourmet pizza. It's still a gas station at the end of the day.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Smoothrich posted:

He wants to come in second in the South primaries enough to be taken serious as VP, so he can kill the President like Lyndon B Johnson probably did to JFK, then immediately invade Iran.

Smoothrich doesn't understand the GOP/Republican establishment and should never be responded to seriously, addressed, or otherwise noted.

Ignore 'em, Joe, we all appreciate your insight. Trump and Carson will deflate, their supporters will rally behind Cruz after that, and they'll all hold their nose to vote against Hillary.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Full Battle Rattle posted:

A lot of really smart people are going to be stunned out of their minds when Trump wins NH and Carson wins IA and their garbage candidates have no hope to make up the ground lost by that point

I don't know about "stunned," but I will concede that if both of those idiots are still leading post-NH then that is when Priebus et al will likely gear up their serious ratfuck efforts, which we have not yet seen.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Montasque posted:

You guys are all ignoring the real danger: Ted Cruz.

Dude is going to Richard III this thing.

:eyepop:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Also, great new NYTimes article about a retired hero coming out of retirement for one last ride.

quote:

He has given up his “C.S.I.” reruns, consuming campaign coverage on Fox News — intently but fretfully — when he is perched in front of the television in his Houston home.

He reads three print newspapers daily, dials into briefings given by advisers to his son Jeb’s presidential campaign and stays up late to watch prime-time debates — after sitting through the so-called undercard, too.

Former President George Bush, 91 and frail, is straining to understand an election season that has, for his son and the Republican Party, lurched sharply and stunningly off script. And he is often bewildered by what he sees.

“I’m getting old,” he tells friends, appraising today’s politics, “at just the right time.”

These are confounding days for the Bush family and the network of advisers, donors and supporters who have helped sustain a political dynasty that began with the Senate victory by Prescott Bush, the older Mr. Bush’s father, in Connecticut 63 years ago. They have watched the rise of Donald J. Trump with alarm, and seen how Jeb Bush, the onetime Florida governor, has languished despite early advantages of political pedigree and campaign money.

On Friday, the Bush campaign said it was slashing staff salaries and positions after disappointing polls and lackluster debate performances, a recognition that a vast operation built when Mr. Bush was leading the pack early this year cannot be maintained.

No one, it seems, is more perplexed than the family patriarch by the race, and by what the Republican Party has become in its embrace of anti-establishment outsiders, especially the sometimes rude Mr. Trump.

In July, even after breaking a vertebra in a fall that left him hospitalized in Maine, the elder Mr. Bush was fuming at the news of the day: Mr. Trump had belittled Sen. John McCain of Arizona for being taken prisoner in Vietnam.

“I can’t understand how somebody could say that and still be taken seriously,” said Mr. Bush, himself a naval aviator in World War II, according to his longtime spokesman, Jim McGrath, who had visited him.

This weekend, generations of Bush loyalists planned to descend on a Houston hotel for a gathering for Jeb Bush’s campaign, featuring both the 41st and 43rd presidents. Strategists were eager to reassure them and highlight the campaign’s relative organizational strength, fund-raising capacity and ability to endure a delegate battle that could last well into spring.

But those who have long been in the Bush family orbit are also being forced to reckon with a party that seems to be moving on from them.

“I have no feeling for the electorate anymore,” said John H. Sununu, the former New Hampshire governor who helped the elder Mr. Bush win the 1988 primary there and went on to serve as his White House chief of staff. “It is not responding the way it used to. Their priorities are so different that if I tried to analyze it I’d be making it up.”

Mr. Sununu, like many establishment-aligned Republicans, is especially mystified by Mr. Trump’s appeal. “He supports single-payer federal health care and he loves eminent domain, and the Tea Party hates both of those things,” he said. “So explain to me how people are voting on issues.”

Contempt for Mr. Trump runs deep in the clan. Two people interviewed, who are in direct communication with the elder Mr. Bush but requested anonymity to avoid betraying a confidence, said Mr. Trump had revived painful memories among the Bushes of another blunt populist: H. Ross Perot. The family has long believed Mr. Perot’s third-party candidacy helped Bill Clinton capture the White House from Mr. Bush in 1992.

Jeb Bush’s brother Neil has also vented privately about how bad Mr. Trump is for the country, say people who have spoken to him but did not want to be quoted revealing private conversations.

And their father has been highly irritated by Mr. Trump’s ridicule. The former reality TV star has in recent weeks taunted both former President George W. Bush and Jeb over the Sept 11 attacks.

“He is throwing shoes at the TV when his son gets attacked and insulted by our favorite candidate,” Jeb Bush joked, referring to his father and Mr. Trump, at a campaign stop in New Hampshire.

“They’re all challenged by what’s going on,” Andrew Card said about the Bush family, referring to the “roller-coaster ride” of a campaign.

But Mr. Card, who served key roles in both Bush administrations and was with members of the family last week for a Points of Light foundation celebration, said that though the current race had not gone as planned, it had been a boon for the first President Bush. “It’s keeping him young,” Mr. Card said.

Jeb Bush echoed that statement, calling the campaign rejuvenating for his father. And the elder Mr. Bush has long had a particular attachment to Jeb and his aspirations, once publicly weeping as he recalled his son’s grace in defeat during a 1994 run for governor.

Barbara Bush, 90, likes to tease her husband about how obsessive he has become about the election. She will often pick up a book or turn to her knitting as the former president absorbs the political chatter on cable television, while the two sit side by side in their Houston home’s graceful library. Still, she is doing her part: She has affixed a “Jeb!” sticker to her walker, and when people remark on it, she reaches into a stash of stickers she carries. During a brunch last year with Dave Carney, an old Bush hand from New Hampshire, she spent 20 minutes grilling him about her son’s prospects in this first primary state.

Her husband has had to forgo some of his cherished activities. He can no longer jot the handwritten notes that were such a part of his identity for so long. His speech is now more labored and he cannot send many emails, but he still talks frequently on the phone with his candidate son, especially after major events like debates or speeches.

“He is not much in the advice business these days, but he is sure interested in what is going on,” Jeb Bush wrote in an email to The New York Times. “The only advice he gives is to go win. And that is what I intend to do.”

The former governor’s campaign has struggled amid steeper-than-expected competition for establishment-leaning Republican donors and an inability to harness the kind of passion powering rivals like Mr. Trump. His aides are now promising a wide-scale shift, with staffing levels at the campaign’s Miami headquarters reduced sharply. There have been pledges that the candidate will spend more time in front of voters in early states, particularly New Hampshire.

The Houston donor retreat is the second time this year that Bush supporters have gathered with the elder Bushes. Over the summer, the family’s compound in Kennebunkport, Me., was the site of a similar event. Attendees there thought they would get only a glimpse at Mr. and Mrs. Bush, who spend the summer in Maine, at a reception in their seaside home. But then both showed up for a detailed political briefing held for the donors, receiving a standing ovation.

The couple are still particularly active. Mr. Bush, who uses a wheelchair, and Mrs. Bush joined more than 100,000 other fans at the Alabama-Texas A & M football game last weekend and then were out in Houston for five consecutive nights this week. They are expected to attend at least three events next month involving Mr. Bush’s library and foundation in College Station, Tex., including a forum dedicated to the release of Jon Meacham’s biography of the 41st president, the first major work on his life.

More is at stake in this race than Jeb Bush’s political career, friends of the family say. The Bush name has been prominent in national politics for three decades, and a rejection of the younger son by the electorate, especially in the primary, could be deeply wounding to a family proud of its role in American history.

But the Bushes do not talk much about losing.

George W. Bush, who has become a regular on the fund-raising circuit for his younger brother, tells audiences that he and his father have developed a routine. The elder Bush asks his son, “When is the inauguration?” George W. Bush reminds him that it is January of 2017.

“I’ll be there,” the father replies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/us/politics/watching-gop-race-bush-41-is-glad-to-be-old.html

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

William Bear posted:

Also, great new NYTimes article about a retired hero coming out of retirement for one last ride.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/us/politics/watching-gop-race-bush-41-is-glad-to-be-old.html

That is good, but Jeb is so loving dumb he made a shoe-throwing joke about a Bush.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

William Bear posted:

It's hilarious how much Trump is getting under their skin.

It's also funny how John Sununu is trying to portray himself as a moderate. He's said things crazier than Trump.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That is good, but Jeb is so loving dumb he made a shoe-throwing joke about a Bush.

:eyepop:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Subvisual Haze posted:

The GOP never shuts the gently caress up about how much they love Saint Ronald Reagan, and how every candidate is the true heir to Reagan's Holy Path. You can almost picture Trump and Carson as two halves of the Reagan memory.

Carson has the quiet, aww shucks, calming grandpa-like demeanor that just makes everyone want to like him.

Trump has the stinging quips, charismatic media personality, and ability to attack the hated others (go team!).

It's not surprising that both of them have resonated in different ways with a base that is looking for an alternative to the establishment candidates. Thankfully for this country though, one is too mean and the other too passive to have the full Reagan resonance, otherwise the Democrats might be in real trouble in the general.

Ronald Reagan is definitely the Goldeneye 64 of the GOP.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
compare goldeneye to pc shooters at the time and laugh on your butt

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Mitt Romney posted:

It's hilarious how much Trump is getting under their skin.

It's also funny how John Sununu is trying to portray himself as a moderate. He's said things crazier than Trump.

It's almost like all of their voters have been conditioned to ignore reality in favor of a small, radical echo chamber that only cares about stoking irrational fear and anger.

How odd.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

stoutfish posted:

compare goldeneye to pc shooters at the time and laugh on your butt

I mean in the sense that there's been a million things claiming to be successors, some with more connection to the original than others, but none have done it exactly, and it may not even be possible to because it was so in and of its time.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jewel Repetition posted:

I mean in the sense that there's been a million things claiming to be successors, some with more connection to the original than others, but none have done it exactly, and it may not even be possible to because it was so in and of its time.

He's trying to tell you Goldeneye was a bad game and that basically everything else available was better.

If he isn't, I am.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

He's trying to tell you Goldeneye was a bad game and that basically everything else available was better.

If he isn't, I am.

Goldeneye was fun and I still play it sometimes to this day.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
Goldeneye might have been fun. I don't know, because every time I played it, it was against someone who had the maps memorized and was 1004% better at FPSes than me.

Mostly a neighbor, who, when I lent him my PS to borrow his N64 to play Zelda: OoT, levelled his party in FF7 to like 40 or so without leaving Midgard.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't know about "stunned," but I will concede that if both of those idiots are still leading post-NH then that is when Priebus et al will likely gear up their serious ratfuck efforts, which we have not yet seen.

A billionaire real estate and media mogul and the greatest neurosurgeon in medical history who grew up poor and black in America but went to Yale and became the youngest ever chief of pediatrics at John Hopkins, and both are leading every poll in every state every month and wont ever stop with no one else remotely close, aren't idiots, but you obviously are.

Read a Ben Carson book or biography instead of Huffington Post smears for once, its what smart people do before forming opinions on how stupid a brain surgeon Presidential candidate actually is

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Jeb is a cuckboy

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Goldeneye was really cool and popular when it came out, but looking back there were issues (the controller sucks and is not an ideal setup for FPS play,) just like the GOP platform of the 80's

makes u think

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Smoothrich posted:

A billionaire real estate and media mogul and the greatest neurosurgeon in medical history who grew up poor and black in America but went to Yale and became the youngest ever chief of pediatrics at John Hopkins, and both are leading every poll in every state every month and wont ever stop with no one else remotely close, aren't idiots, but you obviously are.

Read a Ben Carson book or biography instead of Huffington Post smears for once, its what smart people do before forming opinions on how stupid a brain surgeon Presidential candidate actually is

He's dumb, sorry this upsets you

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
We've talked a lot about Q3 fundraising, but I thought that this graph was good so here you go. Cash on hand.

How much money the campaigns had left as of October 1st.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Lotka Volterra posted:

He's dumb, sorry this upsets you

It's highly racist to dismiss a brain surgeon, formerly an idiom in itself for intelligence, as stupid just because he's black.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

William Bear posted:

i like it

i. Like >IT

i like that these people are looking uncertain and afraid of the monster they made. i like it when they look around at their political party and they cant comprehend what they see. i like that they feel their grasp of things slipping. i like these things

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
When a neurosurgeon operates on a brain all the knowledge contained in ththat brain transfers to his mind through the instruments, that why brain surgens is expert of every thing

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Smoothrich posted:

They, like you, are both utter ignoramuses. And they, like you, both seem to have one narrow technical skill at which they excel: In Trump's case, it's media grandstanding. In Carson's, it's brain surgery. In your's it's getting banned.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 24, 2015

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Smoothrich posted:

It's highly racist to dismiss a brain surgeon, formerly an idiom in itself for intelligence, as stupid just because he's black.

No, he's stupid because he denies evolution and is generally a dumb human being

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i like it

i. Like >IT

i like that these people are looking uncertain and afraid of the monster they made. i like it when they look around at their political party and they cant comprehend what they see. i like that they feel their grasp of things slipping. i like these things

George Bush Sr. has been a stranger in his own party for a long time.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

Goldeneye might have been fun. I don't know, because every time I played it, it was against someone who had the maps memorized and was 1004% better at FPSes than me.

Mostly a neighbor, who, when I lent him my PS to borrow his N64 to play Zelda: OoT, levelled his party in FF7 to like 40 or so without leaving Midgard.

If Jeb was playing goldeneye he would cry about how unfair it was that Trump pickled oddjob and that if you guys aren't gonna play fair he's just gonna take his n64 and go home and play pokemon snap

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Smoothrich posted:

He's not dumb because of his profession or the color of his skin (which no one was arguing), he's dumb because of the idiotic things that come out of his mouth every time he speaks. What titles he holds and where he went to college are entirely irrelevant when he lethargically demonstrates his stupidity in a consistent and reproducible manner every time someone asks him a question, whether it be about foreign policy, gun rights, or anything else. This isn't a difficult diagnosis to make, he's a Grade A idiot that makes the average American look like a superstar by comparison.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

For those who are too young to have seen in first hand, or have just forgotten, I'll remind you that Bush Sr. also made a big point of cancelling his NRA membership over how close they were getting to the white militia crazies back in the 1990s.

quote:

I was outraged when, even in the wake of the Oklahoma City tragedy, Mr. Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of N.R.A., defended his attack on federal agents as "jack-booted thugs." To attack Secret Service agents or A.T.F. people or any government law enforcement people as "wearing Nazi bucket helmets and black storm trooper uniforms" wanting to "attack law abiding citizens" is a vicious slander on good people.

Al Whicher, who served on my [ United States Secret Service ] detail when I was Vice President and President, was killed in Oklahoma City. He was no Nazi. He was a kind man, a loving parent, a man dedicated to serving his country -- and serve it well he did.

In 1993, I attended the wake for A.T.F. agent Steve Willis, another dedicated officer who did his duty. I can assure you that this honorable man, killed by weird cultists, was no Nazi.

John Magaw, who used to head the U.S.S.S. and now heads A.T.F., is one of the most principled, decent men I have ever known. He would be the last to condone the kind of illegal behavior your ugly letter charges. The same is true for the F.B.I.'s able Director Louis Freeh. I appointed Mr. Freeh to the Federal Bench. His integrity and honor are beyond question.

Both John Magaw and Judge Freeh were in office when I was President. They both now serve in the current administration. They both have badges. Neither of them would ever give the government's "go ahead to harass, intimidate, even murder law abiding citizens." (Your words)

I am a gun owner and an avid hunter. Over the years I have agreed with most of N.R.A.'s objectives, particularly your educational and training efforts, and your fundamental stance in favor of owning guns.

However, your broadside against Federal agents deeply offends my own sense of decency and honor; and it offends my concept of service to country. It indirectly slanders a wide array of government law enforcement officials, who are out there, day and night, laying their lives on the line for all of us.

You have not repudiated Mr. LaPierre's unwarranted attack. Therefore, I resign as a Life Member of N.R.A., said resignation to be effective upon your receipt of this letter. Please remove my name from your membership list. Sincerely, [ signed ] George Bush

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

he should leave it, and take his sons with him

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Patter Song posted:

We've talked a lot about Q3 fundraising, but I thought that this graph was good so here you go. Cash on hand.

I'm pretty sure Cruz is secretly the most competent person in the entire GOP presidential herd.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Mr. Pumroy posted:

he should leave it, and take his sons with him

He's 90, and W. is basically a no-show pariah.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
It's a testament to how loving ridiculously wrong and dumb and bad smoothrich is, in so many different ways per post, that last page he said Jeb! seems "really smart on policy" and it didn't even stand out as a particularly grotesque kernel of corn in the torrent of his shitposting

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm pretty sure Cruz is secretly the most competent person in the entire GOP presidential herd.

koch sucker imo

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
having sex with men: good and cool

taking money from people who wish to turn america into a nation of slaves and masters: not ok

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Patter Song posted:

Are there breakdowns available for what each campaign is spending their money on? Because I honestly want some numbers to account for Trump's campaign having nearly the lowest amount of cash on hand.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
please don't kinkshame

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
George H. W. Bush owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

crazy cloud posted:

It's a testament to how loving ridiculously wrong and dumb and bad smoothrich is, in so many different ways per post, that last page he said Jeb! seems "really smart on policy" and it didn't even stand out as a particularly grotesque kernel of corn in the torrent of his shitposting

Pretty sure he's just a dedicated gimmick poster. I read that post that got him banned a while back, where he promotes Slavic racial supremacism while simultaneously dropping the goony 'white people suck LOL' remarks. The number of rabid Slav nationalists that don't consider themselves to be white is 0. He's all over the place.

• Locked thread