Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thank you friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

So I'm poking around with the skill calculator, and was curious about skills tagged as having overheat. Small amounts of googling uncovered a bunch of weird forum posters saying poo poo that I can't tell if it is real or just them watching a video and stating facts. So if you guys could enlighten me, that'd be fantastic. Also is the "aoe attack ratio" just the range, or something to do with damage?

I have a bunch of different questions about buff strength and stuff, but without understanding overheat I think I'm missing a chunk of how stuff is balanced, or how many skills you need to have something available to use.

Overheat just means you can use a skill multiple times before it goes on cd. As of last beta, there was a 2h Sword with +4 aoe attack ratio that had a really wide splash range, I assume it means the same thing on skills but I'm not 100% sure. A few buffs scale with SPR or other stats, there's a pastebin of them somewhere, I think it's on reddit too.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I guess we're gonna be playing on Zemyna, at the insistence of many people in Slack. So the OP declares, so it shall be.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

auzuguwu posted:

Goddess of Earth, Žemyna

I'm the rabbit staring into the background.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

im bird

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Silento posted:

Overheat just means you can use a skill multiple times before it goes on cd. As of last beta, there was a 2h Sword with +4 aoe attack ratio that had a really wide splash range, I assume it means the same thing on skills but I'm not 100% sure. A few buffs scale with SPR or other stats, there's a pastebin of them somewhere, I think it's on reddit too.

I see, so a sort of charge system. All skills the same number of times before cooldown, or is it variable?

As for buffs, I meant how much the listed amount actually effects stuff, sort of a "how much of a difference is 20 atk/def" thing. Some of them almost seem like 3 ranks to get the scaling attribute unlocked and then go on your way to something else is more effective than spending more points in a second circle on them.

Edit: can you actually save skill points for later circles, or is that a bug with this calculator?

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 23, 2015

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

I see, so a sort of charge system. All skills the same number of times before cooldown, or is it variable?

As for buffs, I meant how much the listed amount actually effects stuff, sort of a "how much of a difference is 20 atk/def" thing. Some of them almost seem like 3 ranks to get the scaling attribute unlocked and then go on your way to something else is more effective than spending more points in a second circle on them.

Edit: can you actually save skill points for later circles, or is that a bug with this calculator?

Variable, generally 2-3 charges. Pretty much everything has flat scaling, so 20 atk/def is exactly that, 2-3 points in crit rate is around 1% crit. Attribute costs go up pretty quickly so you're likely only going to keep them high on your main bread and butter skills, but in theory yes, you can pick up 3 ranks and make the rest up with attributes. Apparently you can actually save points in game too.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
why were people concerned with ping on this game is there some time sensitive combo system?

seems like poo poo to use us west when it'll be unplayable for euros to save someone in cali 20ms

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
All the servers are hosted in the same place right now anyways

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
then I redact my statement about euros, but is there a ping sensitive component to combat?

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
So I didn't sign up for the beta but a friend gave me a code anyway. Now I have to play. Goodbye sleep :ohdear:

simpul
Feb 28, 2013
Shoot, there was a deadline for sign up? I heard it was open beta so I didn't bother checking in, drats.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Arzachel posted:

Variable, generally 2-3 charges. Pretty much everything has flat scaling, so 20 atk/def is exactly that, 2-3 points in crit rate is around 1% crit. Attribute costs go up pretty quickly so you're likely only going to keep them high on your main bread and butter skills, but in theory yes, you can pick up 3 ranks and make the rest up with attributes. Apparently you can actually save points in game too.

Thanks for the info on the overheat stuff. If the simulator is right then you can horde skill points for later circles in the same class, but not for different ones.

I guess I was unclear on what I meant about buffs. If my attack is 200 and I increase it by 20 that is a decent amount, if I have 2000 attack then it is sort of down to insignificant. Also is defense a straight reduction? Everything I can find is full of unhelpful descriptions like "Characters physical defense".

With different attack types being better against different armor/elements, did you guys try to diversify or just find enemies to fight that were weak to your attacks?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

hubris.height posted:

then I redact my statement about euros, but is there a ping sensitive component to combat?

Dunno, monsters have cone attacks that you can dodge and poo poo but that's about it. Maybe the lag compensation is bad and things warp around or something, we'll see I guess.

ZypherIM posted:

I guess I was unclear on what I meant about buffs. If my attack is 200 and I increase it by 20 that is a decent amount, if I have 2000 attack then it is sort of down to insignificant. Also is defense a straight reduction? Everything I can find is full of unhelpful descriptions like "Characters physical defense".

With different attack types being better against different armor/elements, did you guys try to diversify or just find enemies to fight that were weak to your attacks?

Defense is a straight reduction, yeah. 20 atk is sweet early on but falls off very quickly and you only have 5 buff slots total without a Krivis buff to extend that.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
alarm clock crew check in!

auzuguwu
Oct 30, 2011

forge posted:

alarm clock crew check in!

http://itsalmo.st/#timetogrind

a bonus to waking up at 3 am is that I can just go back to sleep when the servers explode

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
whens the official start time? i'm too lazy to check

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Anyone got an extra key they could send my way? Been signed up since the first CBT wave and haven't gotten a single key.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
where do i fit in silento

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Sign me up for the extra key department, if anyone has some to spare.

Baby Nanny
Jan 4, 2007
ftw m8.
We now got some cool bot stuff in slack. Just added mob searching and ill have item searching implemented probably later this weekend.

Dont forget to join slack ya'll!

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Hah, game isn't even out and we have a mob/item database? I mean I guess it would be pretty straightforward given all the translation stuff sitting on Git but it's still cool.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Is that sadhu class still in the game? Is it any good?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Silento posted:

I guess we're gonna be playing on Zemyna, at the insistence of many people in Slack. So the OP declares, so it shall be.

That was the only anime that didn't have handle bar tassels around her waist, gently caress that poo poo.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

So the Slack thing is pretty neat, but I'd still prefer to use IRC over having yet another messaging program open. Thankfully you can integrate the two.

So I guess this post is me asking whomever is the Admin of the Slack group to open that option up? I know we won't be able to use the fancy bots that elgruntox is making, but I'm fine with that for now.

There is a thing here about how to do it. Once it's enabled, anyone should be able to grab the group password there, and connect through IRC.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

where do i fit in silento

Silento posted:

Please don't be rude to my friend, friend. :)

No rudeness towards people or anime here!!! :D

Edit: except bio, hes fair game

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

rizzen posted:

So the Slack thing is pretty neat, but I'd still prefer to use IRC over having yet another messaging program open. Thankfully you can integrate the two.

So I guess this post is me asking whomever is the Admin of the Slack group to open that option up? I know we won't be able to use the fancy bots that elgruntox is making, but I'm fine with that for now.

There is a thing here about how to do it. Once it's enabled, anyone should be able to grab the group password there, and connect through IRC.

Assumed it was on by default, flipped the switch for IRC and XMPP, go hog wild.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

March Hare is a fair and just ruler

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
lookin for a code, pm me here or ToS slack whenever

thanks and bless

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Is there a reputable place to buy a beta code for a not ridiculous price for someone who was too stupid to sign up?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i sell codes 65 euro

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Biowarfare posted:

i sell codes 65 euro

i got code free bless u tho

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur
I just got my beta invite email. Now to play some SFV beta and think about which classes I want to try out. Any suggestions? I like playing any class as long as it is fun.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
I was told about this game like two weeks ago and never got a chance to sign up, now it appears to be too late and i am sad. Does any kind soul have an extra key they could toss to me? I would quite literally suck yo' dick be eternally grateful.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

:smith: if anyone has a spare code for a UK goon I'm idle in slack. :smith:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

So I guess laima one the straw poll

Side note my phone autocorrects it to latina

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Silento posted:

:frogsiren:Goons will be playing on Zemyna! All the servers are East Coast, so just pick Zemyna!:frogsiren:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rip the strawpoll then I guess

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ultimately it doesnt matter what server we are on tho, so zemy whatever is okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

IT MATTERS