Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Can you even do a true one tag world conquest now that Australia is a colonial zone? Even if you leave it empty, it'd be hard to keep all Europeans out.

This guy did one recently as Spain. He moved his capital to the new world, sold all of his european provinces to aragon and then formed spain, gaining all of their provinces. Then it seems like it was just a matter of running 20 colonies at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Redmark posted:

I'm playing my first game as Castile and it's somehow gone really well so far. But this game offers a lot of ways to frustrate yourself. Especially when doing a lot of amphibious operations in the colonies, sometimes I drop an army off on an island to reset attrition at sea, and then move to the target -- only I forgot to attach to transport again so the fleet gets to make another round trip across the Atlantic.

Anyway, in a recent war against France I was trying to take a couple of their colonial provinces. One went smoothly enough, but when I dropped troops on the other the army became exiled :confused: I couldn't even get them back because the ships couldn't get into port. How does exile work when you're still at war? I know that my claim fabrication on the second province wasn't done yet, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Also, is it worth it to just attack the natives when colonizing? I've been trying to avoid the genocide route but the micro required in the more aggressive regions is draining

You can also move troops onto navies by having your navy in a sea zone and just right-click moving your troops into that sea zone.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

stranger danger posted:

I think they should make it like CK2 somehow, where you move your armies onto a sea tile and the game takes care of the rest. Transports are pretty useless outside of moving armies around so I don't think taking them out of the game would be a huge loss. I almost always play land powers just because micro-managing armies and navies around the world is such a chore.

Granted, the game is definitely better than EU3, what with colonial nations and the addition of a bunch of useful crossings (good GOD the Antilles in EU3).

That was just in CK 1, wasn't it? Man, it was expensive to cross water but so much more convenient than the transports in EU and CK2.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jazerus posted:

That was just in CK 1, wasn't it? Man, it was expensive to cross water but so much more convenient than the transports in EU and CK2.

The AI may actually be capable of running Amphibious invasions if it were that easy. One of the big problems I had with the HOI was Britain and the US being total washes if it's a player Germany. Just being capable of planning ahead prevents any sort of seaborne invasion from getting traction.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jazerus posted:

I honestly think that a sea expansion for CK2 would be pretty cool and actually make merchant republics interesting, but I can understand why that might be heresy to some people.

Is there any difference in pips between explorers and generals, or are the former an objectively better pick?

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
They used to be identical but a couple patches ago they got nerfed a bit, the wiki says they get rolled at 4/5ths whatever tradition you have.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I was planning on just playing a slow-paced game and becoming Prussia because I've never actually done that yet, but about 30 years in I get elected Emperor. Guess I'm staying Catholic for the foreseeable future.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreyPowerVan posted:

I was planning on just playing a slow-paced game and becoming Prussia because I've never actually done that yet, but about 30 years in I get elected Emperor. Guess I'm staying Catholic for the foreseeable future.

You're an elector so if you go Protestant you'll probably be the Protestant League leader, and thus automatic emperor when you win the war.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

You're an elector so if you go Protestant you'll probably be the Protestant League leader, and thus automatic emperor when you win the war.

But it would remove my emperorship for a while, right? I don't want to be 20 over the force limit.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreyPowerVan posted:

But it would remove my emperorship for a while, right? I don't want to be 20 over the force limit.

Yeah, it would. In that case I would conquer as much stuff as possible while you're the emperor and then convert before the leagues fire so you can be league leader.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You'd think as the Emperor I would get an extra Diplomat or something but I'm still stuck with 2. I haven't been HRE since the duchy/kingdom update stuff.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Being in the HRE is godawful now that I'm used to 3 diplomats in 1444.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Being in the HRE is godawful now that I'm used to 3 diplomats in 1444.

Yeah especially since HRE needs more diplomats than others. So Prussia can be the emperor, right? As long as I win the league wars.

If I form Germany after being Prussia does it remove any of my bonuses or do I just get the cultural union stuff, too?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

GreyPowerVan posted:

You'd think as the Emperor I would get an extra Diplomat or something but I'm still stuck with 2. I haven't been HRE since the duchy/kingdom update stuff.

Being Emperor lets you be a Kingdom while still in the HRE, so you should be able to get your third diplomat once you get enough development.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

Being Emperor lets you be a Kingdom while still in the HRE, so you should be able to get your third diplomat once you get enough development.

How much development is that, actually?

Oh, and I haven't played much in recent expansions. Coring poo poo is so expensive. I'm so far behind on tech already. I guess all my 1/x/x leaders haven't been helping, but I've been admin focused since the beginning and still can't keep up.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh, if I form Germany I leave the HRE. Oh well, guess I'll just be the Prussian Emperor. Thanks for the tips.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreyPowerVan posted:

Oh, if I form Germany I leave the HRE. Oh well, guess I'll just be the Prussian Emperor. Thanks for the tips.

It doesn't remove Emperorship so you can immediately re-add the provinces.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

It doesn't remove Emperorship so you can immediately re-add the provinces.

When I looked at the decision, it definitely looks like I would instantly leave the HRE when i took it. I'm actually not sure if you can even take the decision as emperor.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

How much development is that, actually?

300 total. You can see your total development in your economy screen (you might know this already).

Per that page, actually, you need Common Sense to upgrade your government rank - not sure if that'll be a problem for you.

And yeah, expansion is really expensive these days, barring cheesy tactics.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
lmao, and apparently it also requires you have 50 prestige?

why is prestige even still in the game...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I actually had 60-some prestige from a massive amount of wars early on, but I got 3 events that were like "lose prestige or lots of monarch points" so we all know which one I took.

Is feeding vassals the best way to expand again?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

I actually had 60-some prestige from a massive amount of wars early on, but I got 3 events that were like "lose prestige or lots of monarch points" so we all know which one I took.

Is feeding vassals the best way to expand again?

there's only one choice there, yeah. prestige is not a real resource.

my feeling is that you want to have a mix of direct expansion & vassal-feeding, so that you can avoid going completely admin-bankrupt. note that vassal feeding is just as costly as direct coring (but in diplo instead of admin), and it still ends up giving you stuff at 75% autonomy.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

When I looked at the decision, it definitely looks like I would instantly leave the HRE when i took it. I'm actually not sure if you can even take the decision as emperor.

You can be Emperor without actually being in the HRE, and if you're Emperor you can add your own provinces into the HRE.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

there's only one choice there, yeah. prestige is not a real resource.

my feeling is that you want to have a mix of direct expansion & vassal-feeding, so that you can avoid going completely admin-bankrupt. note that vassal feeding is just as costly as direct coring (but in diplo instead of admin), and it still ends up giving you stuff at 75% autonomy.

Yeah but diplo points are (still?) virtually useless. Come here Denmark, you're about to give me Holstein :getin:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Roadie posted:

You can be Emperor without actually being in the HRE, and if you're Emperor you can add your own provinces into the HRE.

On the wiki page it says you can't form Germany if you're the Emperor, but I'm not sure if that's outdated info or not.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

On the wiki page it says you can't form Germany if you're the Emperor, but I'm not sure if that's outdated info or not.

just looked at the decision file and it's correct, you can't form Germany as Emperor

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If I go from Germany to Prussia, I assume I'll lose the cultural union. Hm. I really want to just get all of the bonuses of both :v:

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

If I go from Germany to Prussia, I assume I'll lose the cultural union. Hm. I really want to just get all of the bonuses of both :v:

More importantly you cannot form prussia as germany in the first place.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Anyone else play with the custom nation designer set to 800 points? It's sad I'm making these monolithic countries with incredible bonuses only to get my butt handed to me by France :saddowns:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sorced posted:

More importantly you cannot form prussia as germany in the first place.

Incredibly lame.

So I'm limited to going... Prussia -> win the league wars -> Germany -> take back the emperorship?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Avocados posted:

Anyone else play with the custom nation designer set to 800 points? It's sad I'm making these monolithic countries with incredible bonuses only to get my butt handed to me by France :saddowns:

Everyone else is playing iron man as Navarra and bootstrapping their way to taking down France. hth

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

GreyPowerVan posted:

Incredibly lame.

So I'm limited to going... Prussia -> win the league wars -> Germany -> take back the emperorship?

If you want a German cultural union why not unify the HRE?

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Can we talk about how loving hard a Knights start is, like jesus. Only possible ally at the start is Venice who without fail for me gets dicked on by Austria like 20 years into the game. Eventually you MIGHT be able to get Poland as an ally as well (if you have somehow developed and taken enough land for the "already has a powerful rival in Venice" malus to go away), but in every single case, the Ottomans have ruined PLC for me when the inevitably declared war. Declaring on Cyprus usually results in Venice breaking their alliance because they always take the mission for Cyprus. Mamluks seem to never get into any stupid wars with the Ottomans so they remain strong. Ugh, it seems like there are basically no outs unless you get super lucky and the Ottomans somehow get ruined by a massive European alliance block, completely unrelated to anything you can influence.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What should my first idea as Poland be?

I'm hoping to expand SE towards India primarily and clean up my Baltic borders during downtime. Muscovy got smart and lucky enough to take the hordes apart one by one so I'm not real eager to fight with them. I'm thinking of maybe jumping them when they finally attack Novgorod since they're allied to Hungary and its the only way to get to fight Hungary without also fighting all of Western Europe.

I'm torn between admin, religious/humanist, or maaaybe influence for the boost to income from Lithuania.

Carrier posted:

Can we talk about how loving hard a Knights start is, like jesus. Only possible ally at the start is Venice who without fail for me gets dicked on by Austria like 20 years into the game. Eventually you MIGHT be able to get Poland as an ally as well (if you have somehow developed and taken enough land for the "already has a powerful rival in Venice" malus to go away), but in every single case, the Ottomans have ruined PLC for me when the inevitably declared war. Declaring on Cyprus usually results in Venice breaking their alliance because they always take the mission for Cyprus. Mamluks seem to never get into any stupid wars with the Ottomans so they remain strong. Ugh, it seems like there are basically no outs unless you get super lucky and the Ottomans somehow get ruined by a massive European alliance block, completely unrelated to anything you can influence.

That sounds about right to me. I can't even consistently get a Byz game going. Arumba has a whole video series as the knights, you could try cribbing ideas from that. One thing that might help is that Austria only rivals Venice about half the time at the start. It shouldn't take too many restarts to get one where Austria doesn't rival Venice but the PLC does rival Ottomans.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 25, 2015

Robot Dog
Oct 2, 2013

Redmark posted:

I'm playing my first game as Castile and it's somehow gone really well so far. But this game offers a lot of ways to frustrate yourself. Especially when doing a lot of amphibious operations in the colonies, sometimes I drop an army off on an island to reset attrition at sea, and then move to the target -- only I forgot to attach to transport again so the fleet gets to make another round trip across the Atlantic.

Anyway, in a recent war against France I was trying to take a couple of their colonial provinces. One went smoothly enough, but when I dropped troops on the other the army became exiled :confused: I couldn't even get them back because the ships couldn't get into port. How does exile work when you're still at war? I know that my claim fabrication on the second province wasn't done yet, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Also, is it worth it to just attack the natives when colonizing? I've been trying to avoid the genocide route but the micro required in the more aggressive regions is draining

If an army on a boat when you declare war, they'll be exiled, that's probably what happened. Usually you only want to attack natives if you can't afford to keep enough troops on the province to defeat them. If there's only like 1000 natives you can just have one unit of infantry waiting on the colony, natives have no technology and are easy to beat.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I did not know that the AI could stack wipe my army of 31 by moving an army half the size into it right after it won a battle. There goes that okay Granada run.

Carrier posted:

FWIW I found my Kingdom of Jerusalem run way easier than my Luck of the Irish run. If you can ally Venice quickly then you can take Athens, release Moirea + Achaea as a vassal and in some cases even take Constantinople for yourself (I didn't grab it for my successful run). Having Poland rival the Ottomans helps too but you can usually chill out for a bit without the Ottomans eating you. Depending on how your timing is, right after you can no-CB invade Ragusa and vassalize her. After you integrate Ragusa you can make a Serbian/Bosnian land grab that won't be affected by Ottoman warnings and if you can sneak Kosovo you can get that gold mine to fund all kinds of fun stuff.

Eej fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 25, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

LLSix posted:

I'm hoping to expand SE towards India primarily and clean up my Baltic borders during downtime. Muscovy got smart and lucky enough to take the hordes apart one by one so I'm not real eager to fight with them. I'm thinking of maybe jumping them when they finally attack Novgorod since they're allied to Hungary and its the only way to get to fight Hungary without also fighting all of Western Europe.

I'm torn between admin, religious/humanist, or maaaybe influence for the boost to income from Lithuania.

Consider Innovative as well. I would suggest looking at it and religious; since you have a PU going you legitimately need to look after your prestige and make sure it doesn't go in the negatives, so the prestige decay/per year bonii go from a nice thing to have to legitimately useful.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
So I did a thing.

How the hell do I dismantle the HRE now? I didn't want to be elected emperor! :saddowns:

I did a hard save and cheated a ton of imperial authority all the way to Renovatio Imperii and a consolidated HRE but that's just a name, flag and map color change for all I care. I just want to get rid of it for good.

Do I have to release 7 electors who will hate me and a ton of other nations that will hate me and reconquer them all more carefully this time? I *can* do it but I really don't want to.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 25, 2015

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

That sounds about right to me. I can't even consistently get a Byz game going. Arumba has a whole video series as the knights, you could try cribbing ideas from that. One thing that might help is that Austria only rivals Venice about half the time at the start. It shouldn't take too many restarts to get one where Austria doesn't rival Venice but the PLC does rival Ottomans.

Choose religious, no question. You want the CB. As soon as Lithuania makes a claim on GH you can feed them a bunch of their provinces in the war plus take one so you have an adjacent province to use the religious CB to take everything else cheaply and just continue taking one province that's adjacent to another heathen nation and expand expand expand. Once you get far enough SE you can just cut off your provinces so that you can get the colonization bonus and cheaply core everything. Meanwhile feeding Lithuania from your wars back in Europe.

Influence is a bad choice IMO. I like it for reduced annexation cost, but not for the money. The army boost could be good but your army size isn't gong to be an issue.

I'd take Admin eventually, but Religious first.

Edit: almost forgot, you're going to be taking so much land in Asia with the colony core bonus that you're going to want missionaries and such to convert it all, so that's another plus.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

If you want a German cultural union why not unify the HRE?

I like Germany's color more than HRE.

• Locked thread