Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Even the NES FF's don't need much grinding. FF1 just needs a little bit early on and then you're set, FF2 you only really need to grind MP for anyone focusing on white magic, and original FF3 doesn't really require any grinding at all. Of course, FF2 is either difficult or trivial depending entirely on whether you know the mechanics, and a lot of FF3's bullshit is up to being the "correct" job for the situation or dealing with whatever stupid gimmick a dungeon requires, but in both cases grinding doesn't really help against the obstacles they throw at you.

The way to excel at FF8's battle system is to spend more time playing the card game than the actual game (which to be fair is a much better use of your time anyway so the FF8 experience isn't too bad overall).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only DS game you should be grinding in is Elite Beat Agents. Canned Heat is a piece of poo poo and took me a million tries on hard to get past the opening parts, fuckin dammit.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Motto posted:

Speaking of which, does anybody know where the idea that JRPGs require grinding came from? Is it simply a situation where if something's possible, a chunk of people are going to do it even if it's really obviously a bad idea and a huge waste of time?
When you are 10 and playing FF6 or 7 without a decade of jrpg system analysis and introspection, you probabaly ran into a wall that required grinding because you were a dumb kid.

In FF7 it was often literally a wall.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

zedprime posted:

When you are 10 and playing FF6 or 7 without a decade of jrpg system analysis and introspection, you probabaly ran into a wall that required grinding because you were a dumb kid.

Ahaha, nice one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only FF when it was literally required to grind is ff14

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I don't think I've ever played FF1 without grinding the poo poo out of the Peninsula of Power, I'm pretty sure that counts as core gameplay.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tae posted:

The only FF when it was literally required to grind is ff14

Excuse me?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Baal posted:

The only DS game you should be grinding in is Elite Beat Agents. Canned Heat is a piece of poo poo and took me a million tries on hard to get past the opening parts, fuckin dammit.

I don't know what beat the taps were going to, but it sure as gently caress wasn't the song's.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Momomo posted:

I don't know what beat the taps were going to, but it sure as gently caress wasn't the song's.

Learn to hit the offbeats, scrubs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Some JRPGs do require grinding but the real problem is that many players assume that grinding is the first answer to any sort of difficulty whatsoever

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ugh....this boss is bullshit what should I do!

*Has a million expendable items that would make it trivial but are being saved just in case they need them later*

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I had to use all my megalixirs at the final boss of BD so I was happy I saved those.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

Yeah it kicks rear end.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

zedprime posted:

I Moogle Charmed my way through all of Kefka's Tower. Frankly I'm amazed I even beat the last battle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm pretty sure this game gave me an instinctual hatred of both crabs and sandy dune beaches.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
FF6 has to be the easiest of the bunch because of the evade stat that was previously mentioned. Magic evade was worthless due to a glitch and was instead tied to regular evade as well. Max it out and you were literally unhittable save for a handful of attacks. And it was piss easy to max that out too on certain characters like Terra and Celes given how much evade some shields and armor gave.

It's possible to beat the game without ever leveling up or equipping any espers.

Hell, even in the remake where magic evade was fixed, its still easy to max both magic evade and regular evade.

Of course that requires an in-depth knowledge of how the stats work, which I certainly didn't have as a kid. Still, you can get a spell, very easily, that does max damage and cast if for 1mp. C'mon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Srice posted:

Ugh....this boss is bullshit what should I do!

*Has a million expendable items that would make it trivial but are being saved just in case they need them later*

Ssme but *has 3 characters out of 4 with ways to buff literally any stat.*

People who grind in Dragon Quest make me very confused.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Blame DQ7. If you want to change your strategy much you need a ridiculous amount of grinding.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ssme but *has 3 characters out of 4 with ways to buff literally any stat.*

People who grind in Dragon Quest make me very confused.

Yah those are super important and go a long way.

Debuffs are good too, they're not effective in all jrpgs but hell, there are a fair amount of Dragon Quest bosses vulnerable to the defense-down spell.

When I was young I played the fan translation of DQ V and did hella grinding, but a few months ago I picked up the DS version and beat it with zero grinding, I just had to be smart about boss battles.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

I'm pretty sure this game gave me an instinctual hatred of both crabs and sandy dune beaches.
FFXIV has a pet whose flavor text is
"The mere sight of this wee wavekin may cause severe psychological trauma to those who spent years of their lives on faraway shores culling his relatives."

You get it from killing Cancer in the "Its not Lupus" FATE in costa del sol :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

It's possible to beat the game without ever leveling up or equipping any espers.

It isn't, because the damage formula is tied to your level. If you cheat in an Illumina and max your vigor, you'll only do like 400-500 damage to enemies with single-digit defense scores at Lv1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

It isn't, because the damage formula is tied to your level.

It's not possible to do it at level 1 (because you'll gain levels unavoidably just through doing boss fights) but it's been done with most of the cast sub-10 and I think the only character above 10 being those who start that way or are essential to party composition.

The White Dragon posted:

If you cheat in an Illumina and max your vigor, you'll only do like 400-500 damage to enemies with single-digit defense scores at Lv1.

Nah. You're forgetting (among other things) that Gau exists. Gau alone is probably the single most absurdly broken FF character at any level.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 24, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. You're forgetting (among other things) that Gau exists. Gau alone is probably the single most absurdly broken FF character at any level.

uhhhh that's caius ballad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

uhhhh that's caius ballad

But what if Gau meets Caius on the Veldt and leaps? What then?!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ImpAtom posted:

But what if Gau meets Caius on the Veldt and leaps? What then?!

you forget that monsters only appear on the veldt once they are defeated

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

you forget that monsters only appear on the veldt once they are defeated

... drat! It's true. All hail Caius.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Yeah it's possible, I did it in the GBA version. True there's some avoidable exp, but you'll gain like two levels on some guys.

And yes Gau is involved a lot. Io rage does damage based off the enemies levels iirc. Destroys high level, end game bosses. Gogo is useful for the same reason. Mog and Gau in the back row wearing the snow muffler will physical damage due to its crazy high def.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've also done a low level run of FF6 and there are a ton of ways to do damage that doesn't require levels or espers.

Gau in particular is very important for it, dude can learn rages with strong spells quite some time before you'd learn them in a normal game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

FFXIV has a pet whose flavor text is
"The mere sight of this wee wavekin may cause severe psychological trauma to those who spent years of their lives on faraway shores culling his relatives."

You get it from killing Cancer in the "Its not Lupus" FATE in costa del sol :v:

I have this pet, and I quit shortly thereafter knowing that FFXI had beaten me again.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

FF6 has to be the easiest of the bunch because of the evade stat that was previously mentioned. Magic evade was worthless due to a glitch and was instead tied to regular evade as well. Max it out and you were literally unhittable save for a handful of attacks. And it was piss easy to max that out too on certain characters like Terra and Celes given how much evade some shields and armor gave.

Other way around. It's regular Evade that doesn't work and Magic Evade that does double duty.

Which is why Terra and Celes could reach such levels of busted. There's a bunch of really good female only mage gear that, naturally, has high Magic Evade.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I've got a friend who is apparently terminally bad at RPGs and he claims to always run into a situation that requires grinding. I think he just ran into the GameFAQs problem, but he won't play RPGs anymore. Very sad.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
I have to agree that hitting a point in an RPG that requires grinding is usually an issue of not fully understanding game mechanics and/or making pooe character development choices (usually due to the former). This is especially true for every singleplayer FF game since FF4.

FF4: We got the easy version...
FF5: Easily broken through class development
FF6: Easily broken through appropriate esper/relic selection
FF7: Easily broken via proper materia selection
FF8: Easily broken via proper junctioning and GF development
FF9: Easily broken by stealing from bosses
FF10: Easily broken via proper sphere grid development
FF11: Nerfed into the ground these days, easily broken via trust system
FF12: Easily broken via proper gambit setup
FF13: Easily broken by understanding how the stagger system works
FF14: Easily broken by playing a Warrior

Varance fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 25, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
FFXV's twitter is weird:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Look Tabata, I appreciate that you know about the internet but please stop

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

FFXV's twitter is weird:

I can't stop laughing, jesus. That food is incredibly rendered too, does their graphics team take notes from GRRM or something? He regularly devotes half a page+ when describing a feast.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Gau for Dissidia 3

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm glad FFXV is shaping up to be the gayest game of 2016.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm glad FFXV is shaping up to be the gayest game of 2026.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I can't stop laughing, jesus. That food is incredibly rendered too, does their graphics team take notes from GRRM or something? He regularly devotes half a page+ when describing a feast.

People just really like realistically-rendered food. For instance, I remember most of the effort in Sonic Unleashed going into the food renders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingertips
Jul 30, 2006
Defender of the Internets
I just finished FF6. Loved it.