Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Kenlon posted:

Jesus goddamn Christ, I hate whoever it was who mentioned True Detective as being a good template for Delta Green.

. . . because it's not 6 AM and I'm on the last episode of season one and I may never sleep again.

(Also I would totally back Delta Green if I could figure out what level gets me physical copies of both the Case Officer's Handbook and Fall of Delta Green without paying for a bunch of other poo poo.)

Pick JUST THE FALL, then add an extra $70 for the Case Officer's Handbook (add any extra shipping now if you want as well). When the backerkit comes out (which will be a while as backerkit is apparently a pain in the rear end for creators with multiple options), then you'll just specific then that the $70 was for The Case Officer's. You'll also get the pdf of Agent's Handbook when it comes out (as it will be out before the other two).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kenlon posted:

Jesus goddamn Christ, I hate whoever it was who mentioned True Detective as being a good template for Delta Green.

. . . because it's not 6 AM and I'm on the last episode of season one and I may never sleep again.

(Also I would totally back Delta Green if I could figure out what level gets me physical copies of both the Case Officer's Handbook and Fall of Delta Green without paying for a bunch of other poo poo.)

I think you want to back at Just The Fall (to get hardback and PDF of Fall of Delta Green) then add $70 for the case officer's handbook in hardback and PDF. If you're in US, the pledge should cover that automatically; else you'll want add to your pledge according to this table:

e: f,b.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Kenlon posted:

I think in this thread that was me. The authors jumped on the comparison immediately, though - True Detective was the sort of tone they'd been shooting for, for years. You're welcome.

Other helpful people have covered the Pledge options.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 23, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Just got a shipping notice for my physical copy of Urban Shadows.

SlaveTrader
Jan 12, 2003

*sigh* Those were the days...

Otisburg posted:

I am going to give Arc Dream Publishing three hundred (300) united states dollars. I realize I could get all that poo poo in electronic format for eighty (80) united states dollars, but I'm an old fart and like books you don't have to plug in to recharge.

You and me both. I'm strangely very comfortable with this.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SlaveTrader posted:

You and me both. I'm strangely very comfortable with this.

It's not like they make bad products.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Upped my Masks pledge to $70 in the end, thanks to their not charging any shipping. :toot:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

signalnoise posted:

It's not worth the cash in my opinion. It's a cute game that it worth it if you want a bunch of chibi minis but it lacks serious substance.

It just makes me think of all the better game concepts you could make with them.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Sionak posted:

Yeah. Some of the execution of the Kickstarter could have been smoother, but I am still in based on a number of factors. I really like that they put the rules up ahead of time and have them as a free download for anyone looking at the project. And according to the creators in numerous places, they are working hard to avoid Chaosium-ing themselves by making promises they can't possibly match.

The truth, too, is that skill at running a kickstarter and skill at delivering the product are not necessarily the same. (It is Delta Green and a Kickstarter though, so I'll be surprised if they hit all the release dates. But I know that going in, too.)

Arc Dream's done several Kickstarters at this point and delivered consistently, if not always by the estimated ship date. This is the largest scope but I'm not too worried.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Put me down in the camp of "would possibly back Delta Green if I could work out the reward structure"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
If you give them $205 (the $180 tier plus the $25 addon) you can get all the PDFs (including the Fall and also all the old previous gen pdfs). Everyone involved with the project makes fantastic stuff and the old DG books were really neat too, so it's probably not going to be a bad choice.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

malkav11 posted:

Arc Dream's done several Kickstarters at this point and delivered consistently, if not always by the estimated ship date. This is the largest scope but I'm not too worried.

Oh, absolutely. I didn't mean to cast any doubt on that - I have backed DG: Tales from Failed Anatomies, No Soul Left Behind, and Puppetland. Only Puppetland has yet to deliver and I am confident that it will. I was extremely happy with with Tales from Failed Anatomies and No Soul Left Behind.

Delta Green products have taken a long time in the past, but they always come out eventually.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Latest Scythe update gives the whole Stretch Goal schedule. Final one is $1.5 million for the cardboard stars to be replaced by wooden stars. Nice to just release the whole thing rather than wondering "is the next goal going to be the stars?"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jameystegmaier/scythe/posts/1392692

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Those really seem like stretch goals purely for the sake of having stretch goals.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/dcc-rpg-4th-printing?ref=hero_thanks

New Kickstarter for the 4th printing of DCC. The new cover is excellent. Most of the new stuff is in the stretch goals.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

boom boom boom posted:

Those really seem like stretch goals purely for the sake of having stretch goals.

Yes, they were.

They pre-tested and costed the entire game, they had stretch goals essentially because stretch goals are part of KS as a marketing tool.

Realistically, the only real reason they needed KS AFAIK rather than just doing a generic pre-order system was as a marketing tool.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

boom boom boom posted:

When you get right down to it, the whole notion of stretch goals are kind of silly when you're delivering a distinct product to each backer, like, say, a board game. Economies of scale can move the needle on the cost of production, but most of the money goes towards desining the game rather than producing it. And you shouldn't back a kickstarter where the game hasn't been designed yet. So stretch goals = silly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
You better be selling a lot of boxes to justify $25,000 per added card.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

alg posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/dcc-rpg-4th-printing?ref=hero_thanks

New Kickstarter for the 4th printing of DCC. The new cover is excellent. Most of the new stuff is in the stretch goals.
That's loving awesome. And if I'm reading it right, backers are getting several free modules too.

I'm in for the "newbie" level. It looks like a great deal.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

alg posted:

I've been meaning to pick this up for a long time and this was just what I was looking for.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

dwarf74 posted:

That's loving awesome. And if I'm reading it right, backers are getting several free modules too.

I'm in for the "newbie" level. It looks like a great deal.

Totally almost pledged at the noob level before I saw the $30 shipping costs for the UK :( The book sells for £25-ish here in previous printings, so $70 is a loving terrible deal for us internationals. I wish every project could work miracles with international shipping like Masks has done!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

alg posted:

My group is pretty heavily into Pathfinder, but I almost just want to buy this for the art. Just going off of the samples, it looks like an awesome trip down nostalgia lane.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Remind me again about DCC, that's the one with the funnel, right? Where you run a half dozen 0-level scrubs through a meatgrinder and whoever survives is now your actual character? I always thought that was a pretty cute idea, how is it beyond that?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Kai Tave posted:

Remind me again about DCC, that's the one with the funnel, right? Where you run a half dozen 0-level scrubs through a meatgrinder and whoever survives is now your actual character? I always thought that was a pretty cute idea, how is it beyond that?

It's all about bong wizards hanging out in barbarian vans while air guitaring to Electric Wizard. But aside from that, it's a pretty good BX/BECMI D&D inspired game. Lots of features, like Warriors being able to do something interesting with every attack that gets better every level, the system doesn't penalize trying to swing off the chandeliers and kick your enemies down the stairs instead of just full attacking. There's no Vancian casting, instead you make a check against a table every time you cast a spell for how powerful it is, and you can take physical stat damage (that can be restored) to increase your spellcasting bonus, wizards can have patrons, like how Elric had deals with the elemental gods and things like that, etc. One of the best things about it is that while the funnel is a meatgrinder, characters who survive are a lot tougher. It definitely encourages a tone of not keeping the weirdness cordoned off behind a layer of giant rats, in terms of the art, writing and the rules. RAW, the levels go from 1-10, and each is supposed to be about as powerful as 2 in BX/BECMI. One of the level 1 modules is about dealing with the Gods of Chaos.

It's probably a bit more random than a lot of people in here like, but if it sounds like your kind of thing, it probably is.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 25, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

It's a pretty good BX/BECMI D&D inspired game. Lots of features, like Warriors being able to do something interesting with every attack that gets better every level, the system doesn't penalize trying to swing off the chandeliers and kick your enemies down the stairs instead of just full attacking. There's no Vancian casting, instead you make a check against a table every time you cast a spell for how powerful it is, and you can take physical stat damage (that can be restored) to increase your spellcasting bonus, wizards can have patrons, like how Elric had deals with the elemental gods and things like that, etc. One of the best things about it is that while the funnel is a meatgrinder, characters who survive are a lot tougher. It definitely encourages a tone of not keeping the weirdness cordoned off behind a layer of giant rats, in terms of the art, writing and the rules. RAW, the levels go from 1-10, and each is supposed to be about as powerful as 2 in BX/BECMI. One of the level 1 modules is about dealing with the Gods of Chaos.

It's probably a bit more random than a lot of people in here like, but if it sounds like your kind of thing, it probably is.

If it's BECMI inspired then that's a point in its favor, after picking up Kevin Crawford's stuff I'm looking to add to my collection of old-school inspired RPGs that are more than just nostalgia trips and are actually decent. I guess I qualify for the "First Time Fan" tier but to be honest I'm not really much for physical game books these days. On the other hand the basic pdf backer tier is a whopping $25 all on its own and it's unclear whether that level even includes stretch goals, sooooo.

I have to admit I like both the diversity in the artwork as well as the plethora of bell-bottoms and striped trousers.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Gandalf the Rainbow is pretty radical.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

I am really looking forward to his posts about running this campaign.

Having this type of stretch goals was so obviously going to annoy the backers. I want to see his motivation

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mycot posted:

Grandalf the Gay?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I have been on the fence about DCC for years, since I started with B/X in the 80s and have always liked it more than AD&D, so I think I'm going to back it. I don't always (or even...often) like to play old school games, but if I'm going to, it might as well be a good and well-supported one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's worth pointing out that DCC is the game that uses the Zocci dice (d3, d5, d7, d16, d24, d30), so you'll need to get a set of those to play.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's worth pointing out that DCC is the game that uses the Zocci dice (d3, d5, d7, d16, d24, d30), so you'll need to get a set of those to play.
Well, it is possible to simulate the special dice with regular dice rolls, so you don't strictly HAVE to have them... but they are fun to own.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
or just use a dice roller.
Purple Sorcerer made a few tools to make running the game easier.
http://purplesorcerer.com/

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kai Tave posted:

If it's BECMI inspired then that's a point in its favor, after picking up Kevin Crawford's stuff I'm looking to add to my collection of old-school inspired RPGs that are more than just nostalgia trips and are actually decent. I guess I qualify for the "First Time Fan" tier but to be honest I'm not really much for physical game books these days. On the other hand the basic pdf backer tier is a whopping $25 all on its own and it's unclear whether that level even includes stretch goals, sooooo.

I have to admit I like both the diversity in the artwork as well as the plethora of bell-bottoms and striped trousers.

Reading it over, it looks like if you back in PDF you'll get all of the out of print adventures that they're reprinting as stretch goals in PDF. The rest of the (current) stretch goals are all physical upgrades to the book so they don't really apply to the PDF.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

I just went with the Noob Hardbound level. It's $52 shipped to USA, but that nets me an adventure, some other physical swag and - probably - 4 extra physical adventures. So 5 total, which is kinda crazy.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

or just use a dice roller.
Purple Sorcerer made a few tools to make running the game easier.
http://purplesorcerer.com/
I've never played DCC, but their Android app is top-notch.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Kai Tave posted:

The PDF of the current printing costs 25 dollars on Drivethru right now, so I guess they set the same price to avoid making the KS a discount version of the rules. As I understand it the game text is basically the same.

This DCC pitch of using the original inspirations and modern gaming sensibilities to recreate D&D from the ground up, instead of simply trying to mimic old versions of D&D, has made me interested in "old school" gaming for the first time. I'm not familiar with pre-AD&D gaming at all; I'm all for the style and direction DCC seems to aim for, but I'm not entirely convinced it isn't yet another rehashed D&D.

For those familiar with the game, can the classes/character choices (roughly) keep up with each other in terms of usefulness? Is it very crunchy/unfriendly to RPG newcomers?

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 25, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Delta Green Kickstarter just passed 260k, unlocking Deep State, a new hardback/PDF sourcebook about what became of all the MJ-12 programs, and making that $300 level start to look like a pretty good value.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Lightning Lord posted:

It's all about bong wizards hanging out in barbarian vans while air guitaring to Electric Wizard. But aside from that, it's a pretty good BX/BECMI D&D inspired game. Lots of features, like Warriors being able to do something interesting with every attack that gets better every level, the system doesn't penalize trying to swing off the chandeliers and kick your enemies down the stairs instead of just full attacking. There's no Vancian casting, instead you make a check against a table every time you cast a spell for how powerful it is, and you can take physical stat damage (that can be restored) to increase your spellcasting bonus, wizards can have patrons, like how Elric had deals with the elemental gods and things like that, etc. One of the best things about it is that while the funnel is a meatgrinder, characters who survive are a lot tougher. It definitely encourages a tone of not keeping the weirdness cordoned off behind a layer of giant rats, in terms of the art, writing and the rules. RAW, the levels go from 1-10, and each is supposed to be about as powerful as 2 in BX/BECMI. One of the level 1 modules is about dealing with the Gods of Chaos.

Reading the free chapter included on the Kickstarter I can't stop laughing that a low Int Elf or Dwarf may not know their own racial language but would still know Common.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mycot posted:

Owns

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

LongDarkNight posted:

Reading the free chapter included on the Kickstarter I can't stop laughing that a low Int Elf or Dwarf may not know their own racial language but would still know Common.

I think they can learn it at first level for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Otisburg posted:

Delta Green Kickstarter just passed 260k, unlocking Deep State, a new hardback/PDF sourcebook about what became of all the MJ-12 programs, and making that $300 level start to look like a pretty good value.

The final stretch goal is a book on PISCES, a UK mythos intelligence agency and sometimes partner to DG at $300k. 3 days left! We can do it :D

• Locked thread