Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zeroisanumber posted:

If you follow the standard arc you'll get married, have three kids, and rejoin the church sometime in your 40's.

It remains to be seen :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

The first looks better, imo.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
First numbers from Louisiana. This is early voting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Silly Burrito posted:

First numbers from Louisiana. This is early voting.

It'd be funny if the Dem somehow got a majority because then they skip the whole next election entirely.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Bobby Jindal isn't going to be governor there anymore?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

computer parts posted:

It'd be funny if the Dem somehow got a majority because then they skip the whole next election entirely.

Yep, but not likely.

BigRed0427 posted:

Bobby Jindal isn't going to be governor there anymore?

Term limited.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Defenestration posted:

Wait he's literally on a book tour? I thought that was a metaphor for how these hucksters run for president to sell books and get cushy Fox News pundit jobs

he literally put his campaign on partial suspension for a book tour

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ben-carson-puts-public-campaign-events-hold-weeks/story?id=34481847

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Is Jindal lined up for a Fox News spot or is he going to be at some fever dream of a think tank?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Zeroisanumber posted:

Is Jindal lined up for a Fox News spot or is he going to be at some fever dream of a think tank?

The scuttlebutt is if Vitter wins governor, Jindal is shooting for his Senate seat next year.

:smith:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No he's got a job lined up probably in Big Oil. It'd be insane if a Democrat won.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Unfortunately, John Bel Edwards is not related to Edwin.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joementum posted:

Unfortunately, John Bel Edwards is not related to Edwin.

We're all related here, don't you know that?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I met Edwin when he got out jail at a fundraiser. It's weird when he was released from jail people acted like he just got back home from vacation. That's how much people in Louisiana love Edwin Edwards.

Silly Burrito posted:

We're all related here, don't you know that?

What part of the State are you in? My family's from Pineville but I lived in Baton Rouge , NOLA area for a good 15 years.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Silly Burrito posted:

Yep, but not likely.

Term limited.

Also, :lol: There are three Republicans int he general?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

BigRed0427 posted:

We don't have primaries and generals. Just the election and the run off.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hollismason posted:

What part of the State are you in? My family's from Pineville but I lived in Baton Rouge , NOLA area for a good 15 years.

From Fordoche (Pointe Coupee). Been here most of my life.

BigRed0427 posted:

Yes, of the major candidates at least. Vitter is the one to beat. Most likely a runoff election in November.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Silly Burrito posted:

From Fordoche (Pointe Coupee). Been here most of my life.

Yes, of the major candidates at least. Vitter is the one to beat. Most likely a runoff election in November.

Yeah I'm familiar with New Roads and New Roads "Hospital". Worked on a Ambulance up in that area for a while.

Vitter is probably going to win probably. He has a fuckload of money from what I understand. Plus the whole "Slept with Prostitutes "just makes people think he is Governor material.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I'm from St Rose (St Charles), but I've lived in Baton Rouge since 2008. Christ it's been longer than I thought. I'm in Denham Springs (Livingston, the Meth capitol of Louisiana!) now though. I used to think I'd move, but now I've got this mortgage. I'm going to be watching Cen Lamar's twitter for most of my election news, what about you guys?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If anyone likes watching live election coverage of the Louisiana races, here's a good link:

http://www.wafb.com/story/30341936/watch-live-oct-24-2015-election-night-coverage-poll-results

I do like that one of our candidates for Attorney General is literally named Baloney.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

http://www.examiner.com/article/donald-trump-supporter-assaults-hispanic-protester-drags-and-kicks-him

quote:

Joining seven other student protesters from Florida International University, Ariel Rojas held up a joint sign that spelled out "Equality." Within moments, a crowd of Trump supporters grabbed their signs, ripped them away, and tore them to pieces. One of the supporters allegedly held up a sign reading, "The Silent Majority Supports Trump," and clobbering a fellow FIU student protester in the head with it.

Rojas got the worst of the abuse, as video footage captures the FIU senior being thrown to the ground, and dragged across the floor, before getting kicked in the gut. The Trump campaign responded to the attack, claiming that he was not in anyway affiliated with Trump or the report, but rather just an "attendee" at the rally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXl3uZ9Fc_o

The face of the right

Every video I've found is shittily edited so that's the best you've got

tl;dr

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 25, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Probably just Facebook. There's not a chance in hell that there will be a Democratic Governor so really don't have any skin in the game.

Rygar201 posted:

I'm from St Rose (St Charles), but I've lived in Baton Rouge since 2008. Christ it's been longer than I thought. I'm in Denham Springs (Livingston, the Meth capitol of Louisiana!) now though. I used to think I'd move, but now I've got this mortgage. I'm going to be watching Cen Lamar's twitter for most of my election news, what about you guys?

Good ole Denham Springs and Prairieville. Do they still have the Klan sign up out there ? Or is that Prairieville?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

FetusSlapper posted:

Isn't the 'kookyness' of seventh day adventists that they go to church on saturday instead of sunday?

What stood out to me in wikipedia was:

Saturday services
Dietary restrictions
"Judgement is totally happening next Saturday!" literally every week
When you die, you are merely asleep until judgement day, your soul is an inseparable part of you and doesn't float away to wherever
The "wicked" don't go to hell, they're simply destroyed
Comparatively hyper-conservative dress and lifestyle

So yeah, the kook factor is higher than most, and it does have significant differences from other denominations. Funny thing, though, is their doctrine is cool with abortion for health reasons, which we could see a RINO attack on Carson for from a desperate candidate.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Make America GreatWhite Again!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I wish we could keep track of Trump supporters, to see their faces the moment when he loses either in the primary or actual presidental election.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Impeach Fried Chicken.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

NBC recorded a horrific video of a Latino protester being pulled on to the ground and literally kicked out of a Trump rally, as the crowd chants "USA" around him:

https://www.facebook.com/NBCMiami/videos/10153281687092582/

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

BurntCornMuffin posted:

When you die, you are merely asleep until judgement day, your soul is an inseparable part of you and doesn't float away to wherever
The "wicked" don't go to hell, they're simply destroyed
Does this mean that come Judgment Day, the Earth will be filled with righteous skeletons?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

my alma mater, making me proud

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Silly Burrito posted:

The scuttlebutt is if Vitter wins governor, Jindal is shooting for his Senate seat next year.

:smith:

It's gonna be great when Bobby loses the senate seat though, so, ya know, some good will come from the looming Vitter Resurgence

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Bullfrog posted:

NBC recorded a horrific video of a Latino protester being pulled on to the ground and literally kicked out of a Trump rally, as the crowd chants "USA" around him:

I remember either this or a similar situation with an hispanic protester with a sign being hit(and hit, and hit again, etc) without provocation by one of trump's goons. At that time, it was apparently an enforcer who had been with the D for a very long time, showed great loyalty, huge loyalty and dispensed with any of my nay-sayers with aplomb.

*edit* I'm not sure what happened there. I'm sorry.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a page with the LA returns: http://staticresults.sos.la.gov/10242015/10242015_Statewide.html

Vitter leading by a hair with a little over half the vote counted.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Bullfrog posted:

Wow, this is loving disgusting. I'm a longtime reader of the Freep thread but this is beyond the pale. I really hope the guy in the red shirt is arrested.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Can anyone explain to me what's happening in Louisiana? Looks like the democrat Candidate has it in the bag.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I think someone has to get above 50% to win which the dem candidate isn't expected to get. One of the republicans will win it in run off elections.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Most of Bernie's speech at tonight's JJ dinner will be "I was right, she was wrong".

quote:

After I came to Congress, corporate America, Wall Street, the administration in the White House and virtually all of the corporate media pushed for passage of the North American Free Trade Agreement. I didn’t believe their arguments. It didn’t make sense to me then that American workers should compete with people making a fraction of our wages. I also opposed CAFTA and Permanent Normal Trade Relations with China. History proved me right. Since 2001 we have lost nearly 60,000 factories in this country and millions of decent-paying jobs.
And let me be clear about the current trade deal that we are debating in Congress, the Trans-Pacific Partnership. It is not now, nor has it ever been, the gold standard of trade agreements. I did not support it yesterday. I do not support it today. And I will not support it tomorrow. We had a chance months ago to stop it in its tracks on the vote for fast track authority. That vote was the fork in the road and I’m glad I took the right road at the right moment in time.

In 1996, I faced another fork in the road – another very difficult political decision. It was called the Defense of Marriage Act – brought forth by a Republican-led Congress. Its purpose was to write discrimination against gays and lesbians into law. Let us remember, that support for gay rights back in 1996 was not what it is today.

And I’m sorry to tell you that that bill won by an overwhelming majority of 342 to 57 in the House and 85 to 15 in the Senate, big majorities which included too many Democrats. That was not a politically easy vote. Today, some are trying to rewrite history by saying they voted for one anti-gay law to stop something worse. Let us be clear. That’s just not true. There was a small minority opposed to discriminating against our gay brothers and sisters. Not everybody held that position in 1996.

Climate change is real. It is caused by human activity and it already is causing massive devastation all across our planet. It is a very sad moment in American history when almost all Republicans running for president reject science and the need for bold action to combat climate change. Sadly, they prefer to take the super PAC campaign contributions from the Koch brothers and the fossil fuel industry rather than to protect the planet for our kids and grandchildren.

And if you agree with me about the urgent need to address the issue of climate change, then you would know immediately what to do about the Keystone pipeline. Honestly, it wasn’t that complicated. Should we support the construction of a pipeline across America and accelerate the extraction of some of the dirtiest fossil fuel in the world? To me, that was a no-brainer and that is why I have opposed the Keystone Pipeline from the beginning.

My friends, I want to bring you back to a very eventful year and a tragic moment in the modern history of our country. The year is 2002. The issue is whether Congress should vote to invade Iraq. Public opinion and most of the media were for the war. And it turned out that big majorities in Congress were too. The vote was 296-133 in the House 77 to 23 in the Senate voted to give President Bush the authority to go to war. Let me tell you that I listened to what Bush had to say, to what Cheney had to say, to what Rumsfeld had to say. I didn’t believe them and I voted no.

If you go to my website, you can see exactly what I said at that point and the fears that I had about the destabilization of that region if we invaded Iraq. It gives me no joy to say that I was largely right about the war. I am proud to tell you when I came to that fork in the road I took the right road even though it was not the popular road at the time.

Throughout my years in Congress I have voted time and again to rein in Wall Street, the big banks and the big insurance companies that control too much wealth and wield too much power in our country. In 1999, I voted against the deregulation of Wall Street, including ending the Glass-Steagall Act. The House vote was 362 to 57. Yes, I was in a small minority. Yes I took on Wall Street which spent $5 billion lobbying for this deregulation. But the vote I cast was the right vote.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Deadulus posted:

I think someone has to get above 50% to win which the dem candidate isn't expected to get. One of the republicans will win it in run off elections.

That seems kind of silly. If everybody cast a vote and the majority of people wanted the Democrat, why have a second election?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

NewMars posted:

Can anyone explain to me what's happening in Louisiana? Looks like the democrat Candidate has it in the bag.

It's an open primary. In order to avoid a runoff, you have to win with 50.1% of the vote. Otherwise, the top two candidates (regardless of party) advance to a runoff on November 21st.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Epic High Five posted:

That seems kind of silly. If everybody cast a vote and the majority of people wanted the Democrat, why have a second election?

Three major Republican candidates are splitting the R vote. When their powers combine in the runoff, the Republican will most likely win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Epic High Five posted:

It's called a "jungle primary". It's like other primary elections, but all the parties run in it. It's really stupid.

• Locked thread