Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Actually, thinking about it, he probably chose Supernal Awareness for his dawn caste because he likes the combat system and wants to use it, instead of skipping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think the whole "Everyone wants a bit of combat" is going to be kind of unavoidable and probably throwing a little combat into every tree is the best move. I mean, as far as I can see, most trees give a little bit of combat effectiveness, and given its lethality's de-emphasised that's probably for the best.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

I'm saying sorcerous workings are XP sinks, not sorcery itself. That IS a good point about the potential to punch above one's weight class, though it's not like you can't do the equivalent with crafting in a way that doesn't leach away your capacity to learn new martial arts or skill specialties or whatever.

This thread started moving fast and I hate to beat a dead horse, but I wanted to add to this that I actually prefer sorcerous workings costing xp versus the alternative of the horrible craft system. Craft encourages you to drop a poo poo ton of xp and then you can churn out a near infinite amount of whatever you need once you've made your investment. I'm not a fan of this because I don't like the behavior it encourages (outside of encouraging people to craft things they care about, that one I'm okay with). Sorcery on the other hand has a low entry bar and then makes you pay per effect which I find more satisfying and is why I've thrown out Craft almost completely and switched all crafting over to the sorcerous project system for the Twilight in my game.

It is extremely frustrating that Ex3 decided to have two 'make stuff' systems that work from two completely different directions, for the same caste no less. Who the gently caress is in charge of this chicken poo poo outfit?

edit: and what the hell is going on with evocations right now? There are charms that still mention the emerald, sapphire, adamant tier system.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Nihnoz posted:

Actually, thinking about it, he probably chose Supernal Awareness for his dawn caste because he likes the combat system and wants to use it, instead of skipping it.

Or because he thought he could buy E2 charms at chargen.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Nessus posted:

Not for a while, probably; honestly I would expect to see Alchemicals first

I really don't think Alchemicals is coming out first.

Alchemicals have always been riiiiight at the end of the release schedules for each edition because they're weird Exalts that live in a parallel dimension that as standard don't have much of an impact on the core goings on of Creation and doesn't matter much to the average character. Like if they decided to completely remove Autochthonia and never mention it again, the typical impact on most games of Exalted and most characters would be precisely 0.

On the other hand in 1e and 2e it had Solars in the Core, then Dragonblooded were the next to be released and then Lunars as the third one out. Lunars are pretty important as the allies of the Solars, one of the more active Exalts in Creation that you have a fair chance to run into and a means to corner that vital yiffing demographic.

I think it's been mentioned Liminals or Extingents or one of the other new ones are coming out third for 3e. I'd expect Lunars to be out next after them.

Other than that I could see Getimians and Sidereals being released fairly close together along with Liminals and Abyssals as they both seem to have thematic links and serve to broaden and define the other's world a fair bit.

DarckRedd
Oct 11, 2009

Nihnoz posted:

Somehow I ended up with a situation where nobody has a combat ability supernal, not even the Dawn.

Heh. I'm a little envious!

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

team overhead smash posted:

On the other hand in 1e and 2e it had Solars in the Core, then Dragonblooded were the next to be released and then Lunars as the third one out. Lunars are pretty important as the allies of the Solars, one of the more active Exalts in Creation that you have a fair chance to run into and a means to corner that vital yiffing demographic.

I'm quite sure Nessus was being facetious. Also, my fondest wish for Ex3 Lunars, tied neck-and-neck with actual good mechanics, is that I can app one to a game without immediately being presumed a sexual deviant (well okay that's kinda unavoidable at this point, given Exalted's track record and standing rep, I'd just rather the book not blatantly and willfully pander to ERPists).

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I don't care what people think Luna is awesome, shapeshifting is awesome and stealing fairy magic is awesome and being the strongest fastest and smartest is awesome

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I'm quite sure Nessus was being facetious. Also, my fondest wish for Ex3 Lunars, tied neck-and-neck with actual good mechanics, is that I can app one to a game without immediately being presumed a sexual deviant (well okay that's kinda unavoidable at this point, given Exalted's track record and standing rep, I'd just rather the book not blatantly and willfully pander to ERPists).

Fish or Fowl Gestation confirmed for Ex3 Lunars book.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

team overhead smash posted:

I really don't think Alchemicals is coming out first.

Alchemicals have always been riiiiight at the end of the release schedules for each edition because they're weird Exalts that live in a parallel dimension that as standard don't have much of an impact on the core goings on of Creation and doesn't matter much to the average character. Like if they decided to completely remove Autochthonia and never mention it again, the typical impact on most games of Exalted and most characters would be precisely 0.

I think it's been mentioned Liminals or Extingents or one of the other new ones are coming out third for 3e. I'd expect Lunars to be out next after them.

Other than that I could see Getimians and Sidereals being released fairly close together along with Liminals and Abyssals as they both seem to have thematic links and serve to broaden and define the other's world a fair bit.
Well the devs have said that Lunars are a pain in their rear end and they considered cutting them as a playable splat out entirely. I doubt Alchemicals is coming out "next," though I think established splat book #3 will be Abyssals this time around. However, Alchemicals DO seem to be big fan favorites, and it would be silly for them to delay that, especially if (say) they have a lackluster kickstarter for some reason.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Let's say "not judged to be a pervoid above and beyond that which is implicit in playing Exalted in the first place."

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Nessus posted:

Let's say "not judged to be a pervoid above and beyond that which is implicit in playing Exalted in the first place."

This is what I meant, yes.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Nessus posted:

Well the devs have said that Lunars are a pain in their rear end and they considered cutting them as a playable splat out entirely. I doubt Alchemicals is coming out "next," though I think established splat book #3 will be Abyssals this time around. However, Alchemicals DO seem to be big fan favorites, and it would be silly for them to delay that, especially if (say) they have a lackluster kickstarter for some reason.

Dude, it's not happening.

They were big fan favourites as soon as they were released at the end of 1e because they were new and weird and opened up a whole new corner of the universe. They were still the very last Exalt splat to be published in 2e because every Exalt type has fans, Exalted fans are pretty much going to buy all of the splat books anyway and Alchemicals aren't that important.

In the 3e Core Alchemicals don't even get a proper listing like the other main Exalt types, they along with Infernals, Getimians and possibly other Exalt types on that splash page just get a "And the tale of the Exalted continues… There are yet other Chosen abroad in the world and beyond. Their tales will be told in time." The core book doesn't mention what an Alchemicals is or even say that they exist. On the other hand it's filled with mentions of Lunars because Lunars are actually relevant and important to the setting, unlike Alchemicals.

I would offer some kind of double toxx agreement here about which book gets released first, but the chances of either of us remembering when either splat comes out in 2025 is pretty small.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I am nowhere near that passionate about Exalted at this point

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

*scrub alarm starts ringing loudly*

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Effectronica posted:

*scrub alarm starts ringing loudly*
I can never keep track of which things I'm supposed to have emotions about or not!!! Where is the master list, Effectronica??

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Nessus posted:

Splat #3 is the Exigents, I'd probably expect Lunars after that.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Nessus posted:

I was hoping I could subtly lure you into some kind of joint toxx agreement that whoever is wrong about which book is out first has to buy it for the other because I would really like a free book.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

Not for a while, probably; honestly I would expect to see Alchemicals first

No, no, Alchemicals are much further away

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Attorney at Funk posted:

Splat #3 is the Exigents, I'd probably expect Lunars after that.

So it's #1 DBs, #2 ????, #3 Exigents?

I hope Sidereals are #2.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

So it's #1 DBs, #2 ????, #3 Exigents?

I hope Sidereals are #2.

Solars, DBs, Exigents.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Hopefully, the Exigent book will be robust enough that you can design impromptu versions of other the other exalted.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Flavivirus posted:

Not sure we'll be that lucky sadly - it sounds like they're getting replacement pieces from the same artist. I'd be much happier with sending them packing and getting replacements from someone else (or ever reusing 2E art).

I'd be happier with a blank white space. It looks loving awful.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

Hopefully, the Exigent book will be robust enough that you can design impromptu versions of other the other exalted.

Or better yet run games not set in creation by homebrewing splats for something else!

I can dream, damnit.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Hey Roadie, have you magic'd up any more Charm trees?
(I can't believe they didn't include official ones in the book. Jesus Christ on a pogo stick.)

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Kenlon posted:

Hey Roadie, have you magic'd up any more Charm trees?
(I can't believe they didn't include official ones in the book. Jesus Christ on a pogo stick.)

They probably cut them for space knowing that exactly this would happen.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
And speaking of things missing - there's still not, and probably will never be, a good listing of what social ability can/should be usable for particular actions. Thanks, guys.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Nor of the three social attributes, so you pretty much have to construct your social skills by backsolving from the charms you want and defaulting to Appearance to resolve ties.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Is there any advice in the book at all about charm making? Making evocations a central part of artifacts but giving no guidelines to actually make those seems... inadvisable, at least in a game as mechanically intricate as Exalted.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It only seems inadvisable to you because you aren't going to try to sell me a compendium of magic items in the near(hah!) future.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

slut chan posted:

They probably cut them for space knowing that exactly this would happen.

They absolutely cut them for space, because that would literally be 25 pages of space.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Rand Brittain posted:

They absolutely cut them for space, because that would literally be 25 pages of space.

Those would be 25 of the best spent pages in the book, as opposed to: *waves hand at all of this terrible fiction*

Also Charm Trees are only each 1 page in size if you, haha, have the absolute inability to use page space demonstrated by the rest of the document fair enough

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Like, let's be serious. Chapter fiction is a decent tradition and one it would be unfortunate to have to break with, but when: a) your book is 657 pages long and b) the vast majority of your chapter fiction is terrible, maybe just a piece at the beginning and the end would suffice. And wouldn't you know! The beginning and end pieces are perfectly fine.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The one area where I'd identify Ex3 as a step down from previous editions rather than an improvement is that. The corebook is just so much less usable as a reference document. Some of this stuff is getting fixed (the ToC, adding an index) but quite a bit of it probably isn't (the page numbering, the lack of graphical aids for the most complex and sprawly part of the system). Like forget the PDF, these decisions are going to add a lot of stress and irritation to the process of actually using rather than carrying or looking at the physical book.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I keep trying to get Holden to let me make an EPUB, which to my mind is the height of usability, but I'm not sure how many people would agree.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I keep trying to get Holden to let me make an EPUB, which to my mind is the height of usability, but I'm not sure how many people would agree.

There are a lot of software tricks you can do to overcome the physical limitations - different ereader formats, embedded links in the ToC and on key terms, companion documents containing the charm trees that didn't fit in the book. It's just such an awkward spot to be in when the things you're cutting from the book to keep the paper copy under control are things that you need most in the paper copy.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

It's like if you want to actually play Exalted, you're going to be expected to use document files, which means the print book's ideal use case is literally being read carefully cover to cover on the toilet.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I mean, if the big concern is that their largely-online document is going to be too long for their largely-online audience in the cases of physical print production, they could publish the charm tree visualizations (or, ideally, the big chunks of long-form fiction in a reference document meant to show people how to create their own collaborative improvisational fiction As Is The Foundation Of The Hobby In Which It Finds Itself) as appendix material that you can get PoD'd in at the end or not. Just make sure that your core + appendix materials' page counts with front matter are still divisible by 4, 8, or 16 (depending on the publisher you're using) and you'd be extra-fine.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Honestly having a secondary "quick-guide to charms" softcover that organizes them with visualizations would be super-loving-useful to everyone.

But there is absolutely no reason not to include the visualizations, they're too important, they just ARE.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's like if you want to actually play Exalted, you're going to be expected to use document files, which means the print book's ideal use case is literally being read carefully cover to cover on the toilet.

Hell,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Man, I love those weirdos. Too bad they're probably not coming out before the end of the decamillennium.

On the other hand, without them I have no reason to play Exalted and thus save a lot of time and money. :v:

• Locked thread