Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Rhymenoserous posted:

Quoting a post from five days prior like a champ.

Don't ask me to source this but I know I once heard somewhere that the "Head" of the battering ram was usually cast pig iron that you'd haul around in the baggage train and find an appropriately sized tree once you are there to wedge it onto. But for all I know this quote came from some generic fantasy novel, so just take it as an idea that kinda makes sense.

I feel that if massive iron battering ram heads were a thing, there would be some left around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

And that sailor... was Big Boss Botswain.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Arquinsiel posted:

We're talking sabres though, so it's a relatively light blade that'll bonk off the skull. It's probably not actually a move possible with anything that isn't specifically designed to be that light either.
Fencing sabres are light, a real cavalry saber weighs about as much as a baseball bat and is razor-sharp on the business end, it'll chop a skull (and Cuirassier helmet) in half easily:

George Farmer, 11th Light Dragoons posted:

Just then a French officer stooping over the body of one of his countrymen, who dropped the instant on his horse's neck, delivered a thrust at poor Harry Wilson's body; and delivered it effectually. I firmly believe that Wilson died on the instant yet, though he felt the sword in its progress, he, with characteristic self-command, kept his eye on the enemy in his front; and, raising himself in his stirrups, let fall upon the Frenchman's head such a blow, that brass and skull parted before it, and the man's head was cloven asunder to the chin. It was the most tremendous blow I ever beheld struck; and both he who gave, and his opponent who received it, dropped dead together. The brass helmet was afterwards examined by order of a French officer, who, as well as myself, was astonished at the exploit; and the cut was found to be as clean as if the sword had gone through a turnip, not so much as a dint being left on either side of it

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

While we're at it, why on Earth did the British of all people name an AFV after Saladin? It's like the Argentines naming a tank after Hindenburg or something.

Saladin and Saracens were actually masively romanticised over here as 'noble enemies' for a long time. With Saladin it was already a thing in contemporary chronicles, what with the reported mutual respect between Richard and Saladin. I'm not sure when it got somewhat extended to the Saracens too but, for example, there's a big Rugby club in London called the Saracens.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

gently caress, the US had helicopters called Apache and Chinook and I'm not sure you need the mythology of the noble savage to explain that. Sometimes a name is just a name.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I'm looking for good personal accounts of Stalingrad, or similar eastern front battles. Not so much for history or tactics, I just want to hear people's subjective experiences of being in a totally hosed place ruled by screaming death machines, or what it was like if it wasn't really like that.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress, the US had helicopters called Apache and Chinook and I'm not sure you need the mythology of the noble savage to explain that. Sometimes a name is just a name.

So it's more grabbing a name out of the nation's history than anything else?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

swamp waste posted:

I'm looking for good personal accounts of Stalingrad, or similar eastern front battles. Not so much for history or tactics, I just want to hear people's subjective experiences of being in a totally hosed place ruled by screaming death machines, or what it was like if it wasn't really like that.

If you want a Soviet view of the Eastern Front that's very readable and taken from a lot of memoirs etc. check out Ivan's War.

Someone will surely post that website with all the interviews with soviet soldiers in a bit too.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you want a Soviet view of the Eastern Front that's very readable and taken from a lot of memoirs etc. check out Ivan's War.

Someone will surely post that website with all the interviews with soviet soldiers in a bit too.

It's not just Soviet soldiers, iremember has an "enemies and allies" sections too. http://iremember.ru/en/

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

swamp waste posted:

Can you read German?

Im Kessel by Carl Schüddekopf tells of personal accounts from the German side of the Battle of Stalingrad. Its pretty horrifying.

http://www.amazon.de/Im-Kessel-Erz%C3%A4hlen-von-Stalingrad/dp/3492240321/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1445746486&sr=1-1

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

And that sailor... was Big Boss.

Uh uh it was The Boss who was active in WWII :colbert:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So it's more grabbing a name out of the nation's history than anything else?

Notice that they're never named after nations/peoples who just flipped over and died. The Russians have an MG named Pecheneg, for one. It's always about fierce martial people the military defeated in the past.

That's why there's no Alvis Frenchman :v:

EDIT: Oh, and the most fun of naming conventions is the C-tanks.

Crusader, Churchill, Cromwell, Comet, Centurion, Chieftain, Challenger.

Matilda and Valentine stand out!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

JcDent posted:

Notice that they're never named after nations/peoples who just flipped over and died. The Russians have an MG named Pecheneg, for one. It's always about fierce martial people the military defeated in the past.

That's why there's no Alvis Frenchman :v:

EDIT: Oh, and the most fun of naming conventions is the C-tanks.

Crusader, Churchill, Cromwell, Comet, Centurion, Chieftain, Challenger.

Matilda and Valentine stand out!

There is actually a bit of a debate in Germany whether the replacement of the Leopard II should be called Leopard III or Löwe. The issue with naming tanks after big cats is that at some point you run out of names, and no one is going to be intimidated by a tank called a Weasel.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

I'm sick of stories about the Serbians being driven back and the Italians bashing their brains out, so I've declared today BEF Storytime Day. So instead, let's have some heart-warming tales of a New Army man having a bang-gently caress on parade (much less fun than it sounds), a cavalryman going up the line at Loos to find that there's still some dead from the battle there, a Cameron Highlander going out into No Man's Land on a listening patrol and finding plenty of, ahem, natural camouflage, and a wet and grumpy quartermaster-sergeant at Ypres. Louis Barthas is still suffering under Captain Cros-Mayrevielle's obsession with rules on a route-match, and a Northumberland Hussar provides us with a pithy sentiment to round things off.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ensign Expendable posted:

It's not just Soviet soldiers, iremember has an "enemies and allies" sections too. http://iremember.ru/en/

I can't seem to be shown any of the enemies/ally accounts in English. Have they not been translated, or am I doing something wrong?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ArchangeI posted:

There is actually a bit of a debate in Germany whether the replacement of the Leopard II should be called Leopard III or Löwe. The issue with naming tanks after big cats is that at some point you run out of names, and no one is going to be intimidated by a tank called a Weasel.

Weasels are scrappy little motherfuckers dude.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Also the noun "Weisel" is already in use.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ArchangeI posted:

Germans already have armored vehicles named after rodents.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Ferdinand is the best German AFV name, no competition.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Holy poo poo, everyone read the one about the Borie. A US destroy rammed a Uboat, but a wave came up at the last minute and laid the destroyer on top of the sub. The destroyer can't depress its guns enough to shoot the sub (because it is still sitting on top of it), while the subs deck gun was knocked out. The crews shoot at each other with small arms fire. There needs to be a movie about this.

quote:

In the extended and bitter fighting that ensued, dozens of German sailors were killed in desperate attempts to keep their machine guns manned. As each man emerged from the hatch and ran toward the guns, he was illuminated by Borie's spotlight and met by a hail of gunfire. Borie's resourceful crew engaged the enemy with whatever was at hand: Tommy guns, rifles, pistols, shotguns intended for riot control, and even a Very pistol. Borie's executive officer and a signalman fired effectively from the bridge with Tommy guns throughout the fight. One German sailor was hit in the chest with a Very flare.

At a key moment in the fight, as Borie's port side crewmen were running out of 20 mm and small arms ammunition, two Germans broke from their protected position behind the bridge and approached the quad mount gun. A thrown sheath knife pierced a German crewman's abdomen and he fell overboard. Unable to bring his gun to bear, one of the 4 inch gun captains threw an empty 4 inch shell casing at the other German sailor, and successfully knocked him overboard as well.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Tias posted:

I can't seem to be shown any of the enemies/ally accounts in English. Have they not been translated, or am I doing something wrong?

Huh, that's weird, I guess there is no English section for those.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ArchangeI posted:

But before that happened they'd have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for cat species and we'd get tanks called Ozelot and Luchs and the like.

:3:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Just steal a page from Apple and call it the Snow Leopard or the Clouded Leopard or something.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Säbelzahntiger!

:black101:

Edit : Waschbär is also acceptable if we wanna stray from kitties. Really, random woodland creatures is something I'd be fine with : fear the Schtachelschwein.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 25, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Xiahou Dun posted:

But before that happened they'd have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for cat species and we'd get tanks called Ozelot and Luchs and the like.

:3:

Pz.Kpfw. II Luchs

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Nebelparder has quite the ring to it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Edit : Waschbär is also acceptable if we wanna stray from kitties.

If you want to abide by precedents then surely all types of bear names should be reserved for heavy bunker buster type vehicles?

Speaking of pigs, there needs to be an amphibious APC called Meerschweinchen.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

Pz.Kpfw. II Luchs

Also Spähpanzer Luchs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hogge Wild posted:

Pz.Kpfw. II Luchs

Panzer IIs are actually the perfect height for use as a cooking implement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnaHD2xt5sE

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hogge Wild posted:

Germans already have armored vehicles named after rodents.

Mustelids mother fucker.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

Schneider (Tigers in Normandy), Zaloga (Armoured Champion) and Carius himself (Heroes de Guerra interview) all discuss falsification of German kill claims. Also keep in mind that some people are dense fuckers, and the best you can do is damage control when they poo poo on your doorstep.

Found something worthwhile about dumbness in history:

IbnKhaldun posted:

Untruth naturally afflicts historical information. There are various reasonsthat make this unavoidable. One of them is partisanship for opinions and schools. Ifthe soul is impartial in receiving information, it devotes to that information the share of critical investigation the information deserves, and its truth or untruth thus becomes clear. However, if the soul is infected with partisanship for a particular opinion or sect, it accepts without a moment's hesitation the information that is agreeable to it. Prejudice and partisanship obscure the critical faculty and preclude critical investigation. The result is that falsehoods are accepted and transmitted.

Another reason making untruth unavoidable in historical information is reliance upon transmitters. Investigation of this subject belongs to (the theologicaldiscipline of) personality criticism.

Another reason is unawareness of the purpose of an event. Many a transmitter does not know the real significance of his observations or of the thingshe has learned about orally. He transmits the information, attributing to it the significance he assumes or imagines it to have. The result is falsehood.

Another reason is unfounded assumption as to the truth of a thing. This is frequent. It results mostly from reliance upon transmitters.

Another reason is ignorance of how conditions conform with reality. Conditions are affected by ambiguities and artificial distortions. The informant reports the conditions as he saw them but on account of artificial distortions he himself has no true picture of them.

Another reason is the fact that people as a rule approach great and high-ranking persons with praise and encomiums. They embellish conditions and spread the fame (of great men). The information made public in such cases is not truthful. Human souls long for praise, and people pay great attention to this world and the positions and wealth it offers. As a rule, they feel no desire for virtue and have no special interest in virtuous people.

Another reason making untruth unavoidable - and this one is more powerful than all the reasons previously mentioned is ignorance of the nature of the various conditions arising in civilization. Every event (or phenomenon), whether (it comes into being in connection with some) essence or (as the result of an) action, must inevitably possess a nature peculiar to its essence as well as to the accidental conditions that may attach themselves to it. If the student knows the nature of events and the circumstances and requirements in the world of existence, it will help him to distinguish truth from untruth in investigating the historical information critically. This is more effective in critical investigation than any other aspect that may be brought up in connection with it. Students often happen to accept and transmit absurd information that, in turn,is believed on their authority. AlMas'udi, for instance, reports such a story about Alexander. Sea monsters prevented Alexander from building Alexandria. He took a wooden container in which a glass box was inserted, and dived in it to the bottom of the sea. There he drew pictures of the devilish monsters he saw. He then had metal effigies of these animals made and set them up opposite the place where building was going on. When the monsters came out and saw the effigies, they fled. Alexander was thus able to complete the building of Alexandria.

JcDent posted:

It's much worse when you almost catch yourself in the act ('It's Kingdom of Heaven, not God, you silly") and then still somehow do it.

Tell me more about those two.

I've read precisely one book on the subject but I'll see what I can find.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I was gonna say Jaguar and Puma but after a quick google it turns out that Germany already has military vehicles named after those cats.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

Mustelids mother fucker.

Maus and Ratte. :colbert:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nenonen posted:

If you want to abide by precedents then surely all types of bear names should be reserved for heavy bunker buster type vehicles?

Speaking of pigs, there needs to be an amphibious APC called Meerschweinchen.

I thought for sure this would be sea cow.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

I thought for sure this would be sea cow.

Don't be silly, Gabelschwanzseekühe and Rundschwanzseekühe have nothing to do with this!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, I realized I hosed it up I confused schwein for cow.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Build one with the French and UK, name it Caracal/Karakal. Works all three ways.

e:

Frostwerks posted:

I hope you don't work in the halal food industry!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Falukorv posted:

I was gonna say Jaguar and Puma but after a quick google it turns out that Germany already has military vehicles named after those cats.

Felix, Gismo and Charlie are the only cats without their own tank.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Frostwerks posted:

Eisenschwein is the Landser nick for Tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nenonen posted:

Maus and Ratte. :colbert: