Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Sailor Senshi?
This poll is closed.
Sailor Moon/Usagi Tsukino 6 4.51%
Sailor Mercury/Ami Mizuno 15 11.28%
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino 23 17.29%
Sailor Jupiter/Makoto Kino 42 31.58%
Sailor Venus/Minako Aino 6 4.51%
why didnt you put the outers on here fucker 41 30.83%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Davincie posted:

yeah in like 3 days. woulda been cool to have a local to give me tips hah

Japan is pretty cool with English. Vast majority of places will have something in English, and more than you think at least speak a little. Cops are also good if you need directions, since more often then not they'll be helpful.

Just make sure to speak a little slower than normal, and you can count on Japanese people wanting to help you. Hope that helps a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

The first ep of Tower of Druaga was a decent parody episode but the rest was pretty generic

the OPs were pretty fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZlkCmGaBrE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RIy27Zh7yo

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Droyer posted:

Amusingly though Tower of Druaga is actually based on an old game

Yeah, an eighties arcade game. Which they bring up constantly and the series is a sequel to.

There's an episode in the first half, which is much goofier and episodic than the second half, where everybody sits around and basically plays the arcade game at an old fashioned Japanese candy store with a strategy guide trying to get to the top.

Druaga's art style makes me wonder why there isn't a PSP RPG tie-in. In terms of plot and everything the show isn't terribly special, but its strength is in that it's really fun and entertaining. And the OPs are great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

yeah in like 3 days. woulda been cool to have a local to give me tips hah
where are you going, and what for? I have a buddy who's in japan atm if you desperately need someone to touch base with.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Reds posted:

Yeah, an eighties arcade game. Which they bring up constantly and the series is a sequel to.

There's an episode in the first half, which is much goofier and episodic than the second half, where everybody sits around and basically plays the arcade game at an old fashioned Japanese candy store with a strategy guide trying to get to the top.

Druaga's art style makes me wonder why there isn't a PSP RPG tie-in. In terms of plot and everything the show isn't terribly special, but its strength is in that it's really fun and entertaining. And the OPs are great.

I think there was an NES game too. Not sure if it was a port or a different game though

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Droyer posted:

I think there was an NES game too. Not sure if it was a port or a different game though

The NES game is just a port as far as I can tell, although console versions tend to change a few things so there's probably a bunch of differences.

They even reference Quest of Ki early on, and Gilgamesh, the king of the setting who was the original protagonist of the game, and Ki are based on their original outfits and appearances.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Reds posted:

Ah yeah I remember there was a couple of comedy episodes now. The one with the secret roper dance was funny too.
Shame it all became too serious with itself in the second half

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Reds posted:

The NES game is just a port as far as I can tell, although console versions tend to change a few things so there's probably a bunch of differences.

They even reference Quest of Ki early on, and Gilgamesh, the king of the setting who was the original protagonist of the game, and Ki are based on their original outfits and appearances.

Well Gilgamesh is a figure of myth, he wasn't made up for the game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
hi

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

hello

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Droyer posted:

Actually, there's evidence that Gil might have at least very much been based on a real person with that name. The Epic was written long after his supposed reign, though.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

.jpg posted:

Ah yeah I remember there was a couple of comedy episodes now. The one with the secret roper dance was funny too.
Shame it all became too serious with itself in the second half

The second half did keep the tone of the plot-focused episodes of the first season, but the last stretch of episodes were completely serious. It was mostly because it didn't have any self-contained comedic episodes like the first half.
The episode in the first half starring Norio Wakamoto as a door is great.

Actually, I forgot, the second season did have a self-contained comedy episode. The episode starts with them wandering into an ice zone, the episode opens with a narrator announcing "this episode will have an avalanche ending", and in the last five minutes of the episode the show puts a "time until avalanche ending" counter in the corner of the screen.

Reds fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 25, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Droyer posted:

I know, I"m saying that the protagonist of the arcade game was called Gilgamesh and that character shows up in the anime.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6hKE-L9BbU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Reds posted:

I know, I"m saying that the protagonist of the arcade game was called Gilgamesh and that character shows up in the anime.

Oh, ok sorry

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

yeah it's good

I like the part 4 one more tho

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The song those guys did for the Phantom Blood movie that resulted in Magenta Magenta and Wekapipo being named after them in Steel Ball Run is pretty decent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbGE46o9xH0

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

howre you droyer

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

howre you droyer

pretty good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Droyer posted:

pretty good

im glad that yourefeeling pretty good

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

yeah it's good

I like the part 4 one more tho
I like 'em all but my favorite would have to be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7FzbqNtWfY

Reds posted:

The song those guys did for the Phantom Blood movie that resulted in Magenta Magenta and Wekapipo being named after them in Steel Ball Run is pretty decent.
That song is literally the only good thing to come out of the Phantom Blood movie.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

im glad that yourefeeling pretty good

I hope you are as well

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Having rewatched Jigen Daisuke's Gravestone tonight I can say that hell, I liked it even better the second time around and when I first watched it, it was already one of my favorite Lupin things in awhile!

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

That song is literally the only good thing to come out of the Phantom Blood movie.

I know, the movie is so bad you can't even find more than a few minutes of it online.
Hearing old MADs made using the ASB voices feels kinda weird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvF90NJS-84

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
the jigen movie is freapking epic!!!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Droyer posted:

I hope you are as well

yeah, kcb and i went to an animal park to celebrate our 6 year anniversary and then we had food at a local restaurant and then came back home and now kcb is asleep and i'm typing @ people on the internet and listening to cool muisc

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The folks who made the Jigen movie put so much attention into so many tiny details, it's rad as hell. They really thought about body language for pretty much every scene.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
*jumps up and down in the theater as the credits roll, hooting and hollering*

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jigen's Gravestone is a great movie.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I just wish it didn't have the robogimp scene or I could show it to more people.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I just wish it didn't have the robogimp scene or I could show it to more people.

Yeah. That scene is legit weird and I wouldn't mind giving it up so I could show it to anyone.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Bad Seafood posted:

that's my only qualm with the movie. not necessarily because it's offensive, i like the design and it's really scary looking

but it doesn't go anywhere and worse drags on for way too long in an otherwise perfectly paced movie

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hi chat thread. It's my birthday and I'm glad Jupiter, the best Inner Senshi, is winning the poll.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Hi chat thread. It's my birthday and I'm glad Jupiter, the best Inner Senshi, is winning the poll.

Happy birthday! :toot:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I just finished Bakemonogatari and it was fantastic. I loving love that ED as well. I will start Nisemonogatari later tonight because I want to see this toothbrush scene. No, I need to see this toothbrush scene

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Haps birth

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Well, happy birthday.
:toot:
Sailor Moon was one of those shows that stopped airing before I had the chance to watch more than a couple of episodes so I have no opinion on it. It sure had a lot of staying power.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1CO6Bf3ou0

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

littleorv posted:

I will start Nisemonogatari later tonight because I want to see this toothbrush scene. No, I need to see this toothbrush scene

It's really loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Gunbuster owns.

And, its theme also got hit with a license strike on Youtube.

• Locked thread