Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Pretty good episode, although I am tired of Moffat era episodes and characters named The Blank Who Blanked. Also, I thought throughout the episode that Clara was already dead and that this took place after the end of this season.

Jerusalem posted:

As the guards said, the amount was "a small fortune" for the time - it's just that Ashildr had much, much, much, much more than that and the Doctor still "only" gave them 30 pounds.

It's fun as a joke, but also I guess it makes sense in that they're more likely to believe there is 30 pounds in the house as opposed to saying what would be the 2015 equivalent of,"There's a billion-gajillion dollars in the house!"

Maybe it's a play on words and he gave them 30 pounds of treasure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Proposition Joe posted:

Pretty good episode, although I am tired of Moffat era episodes and characters named The Blank Who Blanked. Also, I thought throughout the episode that Clara was already dead and that this took place after the end of this season.

It was easy to miss, but he actually mentioned really early in the episode that she was busy getting her "year 7 in Tae Kwon Do".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually feel a little guilty about laughing at that joke about Jack 'getting around' to Ashildr. Like, Capaldi nailed the delivery but even though they're both thousands of years old, it's still a little icky because Maisie is 18 and Barrowman is like 50.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Mr Beens posted:

The fake horse that they made Capaldi jump about on for his closeups was hilariously bad.

Andrew is a valued member of our team and does his best.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

echoplex posted:

Andrew is a valued member of our team and does his best.

Not sure what's funnier, the idea that you named a prop Andrew, or that Peter was riding on a dude's shoulders for those shots.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Gaz-L posted:

I actually feel a little guilty about laughing at that joke about Jack 'getting around' to Ashildr. Like, Capaldi nailed the delivery but even though they're both thousands of years old, it's still a little icky because Maisie is 18 and Barrowman is like 50.

I have to admit I didn't even think of it that way.

Though I was weirded out but the mentions of her kids because I had no idea how old Maisie was and she looked 16-ish or a little younger to me (not that that wouldn't have been common in that time period but still).

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sam Swift ought to be the next companion.

Gaz-L posted:

I thought that just meant "eventually you and Jack will exist in the same time period".

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Chucat posted:

Yeah I just felt really bored during most of that episode, it's almost like I was sedated or something.

Same here. Then we get to the portal and oh poo poo are monsters going to show up? Nah, fireballs and then the lion king just vaporizes. Then it's all gravy, oh well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was butts. Maisie Williams is poo poo. What a crappy way to end the story.

Also for those who watch the NEXT TIMEs it would appear that I predicted the plot of next week's episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ofaloaf posted:

Sam Swift ought to be the next companion.

I thought that just meant "eventually you and Jack will exist in the same time period".

It was a double entendre, and a funny one at that. I'm sure we'll have a Torchwood audio where Jack meets up with her and they fight or sleep together. Or both. :allears: I did appreciate the fact that they brought him up, since he's a notable immortal human who was also "created" inadvertently by the Doctor.

It would be interesting if we had a Torchwood set in the past where Jack is working for Torchwood trying to find the Doctor while pretending to go along with their ostensible mission of finding and stopping the Doctor, and runs into Ashildr who was also trying to oppose the Doctor. Bonus points if it's Pertwee or something.

Come to think of it, they need to do a Torchwood/Jack series detailing times in the 20th century he nearly ran into a "wrong" Doctor and had to stop Torchwood from killing the Doctor as an inside man in Torchwood...without meeting him out of order. I have to imagine things were a bit awkward in the 70s (80s) when the Doctor was working on Earth for UNIT but Torchwood was also there and actively trying to get him.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Maisie Williams is just a splendid actress isn't she? I like her as Arya Stark but this was still a surprise.

Like this was just a showcase for her and Capaldi to play off each other and it was wonderful for that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

Maisie Williams is poo poo.

Think what you want about the episode...but Maisie was an absolute delight.

Related: I love that her Knightmare voice wasn't a modulator or alien tech or whatever...she just practiced. A lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jivjov posted:

Related: I love that her Knightmare voice wasn't a modulator or alien tech or whatever...she just practiced. A lot.

I've watched every episode of GoT, she's really bad. I don't understand the internet obsession with the girls of GoT.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

e: misinterpreted nm

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 25, 2015

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Plot-wise that episode fell pretty flat for me (like all the stuff with the amulet and the lion guy was just kind of boring) but I think they really knocked it out of the park character-wise, so I still enjoyed it a lot.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rhyno posted:

I've watched every episode of GoT, she's really bad. I don't understand the internet obsession with the girls of GoT.

I'm not aware of any internet obsession except with whoever plays Margaery Tyrell, but Maisie Williams has always struck me as being one of the more talented cast members, especially for...I guess she's no longer a child actress, but she's definitely the standout of the younger-ish/more unknown cast. That owes a little to some of the limitations of her fellow actors, but mostly it's because she's good at it, I think.

So I suppose we'll be seeing her one, maybe two more times. It looks like she's definitely got some role in the finale, but I imagine Game of Thrones is a grueling enough shoot that main cast members can't just pop off for extended periods of time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Oh man oh man I get to the be contrarian person on an episode I've waited so long for this :neckbeard:

ahem ahem ahem

I did not like anything about that episode.

Okay that's not 100% true. :shobon: But overall, it was a real bad episode with some really painful "humor" that nevertheless led to some amazing moments. The Doctor instructing Ashildr for five minutes on why you need a companion before you go absolutely batty in the head made up for the rest of the fluff.

Something bad is going to happen to Clara though :smith:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Appreciating an actress' talents == obsession. You're projecting a bit if you honestly think people that believe Maisie is a decent actress are just putting up some front, as if everyone secretly knows she's poo poo but because she's on GoT we all give a nod and a wink to each other and pretend like she's not.

She's great. Maybe not your thing, but don't start making GBS threads on other people because we think she's got skill.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Astroman posted:

Come to think of it, they need to do a Torchwood/Jack series detailing times in the 20th century he nearly ran into a "wrong" Doctor and had to stop Torchwood from killing the Doctor as an inside man in Torchwood...without meeting him out of order. I have to imagine things were a bit awkward in the 70s (80s) when the Doctor was working on Earth for UNIT but Torchwood was also there and actively trying to get him.

That would be awesome. I can just picture Jon Pertwee's sneering contempt. "Torchwood? That bunch of bungling costermongers? Why Brigadier, surely you don't need my help keeping them out of our way while Jo and I figure out what the Master is up to?"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mortanis posted:

Appreciating an actress' talents == obsession. You're projecting a bit if you honestly think people that believe Maisie is a decent actress are just putting up some front, as if everyone secretly knows she's poo poo but because she's on GoT we all give a nod and a wink to each other and pretend like she's not.

She's great. Maybe not your thing, but don't start making GBS threads on other people because we think she's got skill.

I can see you care very deeply about Game of Thrones.

Whereas I, on the other hand, do not. :smug:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
That preview for next week. Peter Harness didn't do a whole lot for me with Kill The Moon, I'm not feeling terribly hopeful about him doing a story with Zygons. Oh well, at least it isn't the Slitheen.

As for tonight's episode, it was a nice change of pace. I dig a good character piece once in a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mortanis posted:

And her talents would be? Being in the right place to get cast on GoT?

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Maisie Williams was on loving point in this episode!! Just watched. Such an amazing contrast from Arya.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
No, I'm sorry, you must enumerate your reasons for liking her acting.

poo poo like this is why I stopped going to my local comic shop. It's enough to just say you like or dislike something without having to justify your opinion. Everyone always has a hill to fight and die on to champion their views.

Capaldi is really on the ball this season. They toned down the worst of the rear end in a top hat vibe and cut out most of his bashing Clara's looks and its evened out his character a lot. I'm looking forward to Clara leaving just to see how Capaldi plays against it.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
That was a lot more consequence driven episode of Who than we've been used to in awhile.

Hated the immediate turn around of Masie Willaims once lion guy defected, but otherwise it was really good stuff.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

EatinCake posted:

That was a lot more consequence driven episode of Who than we've been used to in awhile.

Hated the immediate turn around of Masie Willaims once lion guy defected, but otherwise it was really good stuff.

I actually thought it was quite weird that the crowd was totally okay with her killing that dude and opening up a portal to hell fire, apparently

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can accept the quick turn around because she was pretty emotionally dead because she's experienced and seen so much cruelty between people over the centuries so she's become numb to it, but then something that is outside of that shocks her back to feeling something.

She's even surprised about it; "I actually care about these people!" she exclaimed.

It was really nice to see Maisie Williams show she can do something other than Arya Stark and kill scenes between her and Capaldi like she did with Charles Dance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A lot of people are going with the idea that Clara is going to die, but I think they've been pushing more the idea that she's going to leave. The Doctor knows this, knows it is best for her, but he doesn't want her to go and he's grappling with it every time he sees her - on the one hand he knows she is repressing a lot of emotion and avoiding facing up to her grief, but on the other he's being selfish and wanting to keep her around - both are things he wants to happen because he genuinely cares for her, which is what is making it so difficult for him.

I think Clara understands this/has the same conflict on a subconscious level - to truly heal and move on from Danny's death she actually has to face up to it and try to figure out what to do with her life now, but it is more comforting and exciting to run away from the problem and pretend everything is all right by just filling her every spare moment with adventures with him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I think Clara understands this/has the same conflict on a subconscious level - to truly heal and move on from Danny's death she actually has to face up to it and try to figure out what to do with her life now, but it is more comforting and exciting to run away from the problem and pretend everything is all right by just filling her every spare moment with adventures with him.
Entirely backed up by all the text and subtext about The Doctor being a person who runs. They're leaning on that pretty heavily this season.

I've loved every episode this season so far. Kill the Moon guy being back for next week might be our first dud for me, but I feel like Capaldi's really hit his stride, and it's going to make the already pretty great series 8 a lot easier to rewatch, as we'll know that him being a giant dickbag to everybody is part of an existential crisis that leads him to the happy punk rock grandpa place he's at now. We've been seeing this since Hartnell, really. The show is so genius that from drat near the start, it wrote the actor finding his legs as the character into the show and made it apply as much to the character as the actor.

I showed somebody very close to me The Eleventh Hour today, as she didn't like Doctor Who and gave me one chance to show her that it could be good when it was on. She liked it. But she hated what a jerk Matt Smith's doctor was to everybody. Young Amelia, especially.

It's funny, because when I watch The Eleventh Hour now, I know Eleven so well that those moments seem adorable and amazing. But when she said it, I recalled how resentful I also was about his doctor being a jerk at first, and telling people to shut up all the time. I completely forgot that I also thought he was a giant turd to young Amy about all the foods he wanted. Now I just think it's the best.

I think my exact words at the time were, "If they really wanted to make me like Matt Smith, they wouldn't have had ten's last words be 'I don't want to go,' then replaced him with an rear end in a top hat." Now he's My Doctor. But so was Eccleston. And so was Tennant. And this is keeping in mind that I marathoned the entire relaunch from Eccleston to Day of the Doctor in about a month.

If history repeats itself, Capaldi will also be My Doctor, and so will the next one.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Say what you will about Sam the swift, he has a killer five minute comedy set.

Also, I got a kick out of our favorite new immortal saying "10,000 hours is all it takes to master any skill. 100,000 hours and you're the best there's ever been." It's an idea that you see toyed around with in most stories involving immortals, but it's a classic notion for a reason. In one lifetime you could conceivably become the best in the world in one area with enough practice and motivation, with near infinite lifetimes you can definitively become the best in all sorts of things, provided you aren't obscenely stupid. I can see how spending more than 11 years practicing archery (as in 11 years of time shooting at a target, not counting the time you spend eating, sleeping, etc.) cut her off from caring about humanity, to say nothing of losing loved ones, children, and the truly awful stuff that she ripped out of her diaries.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else she's picked up with another couple of centuries to work with. We're definitely seeing her again with how that episode ended.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 25, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Well I wasn't in love with that episode, and thought it was a bit all over the place, but it was hanging on Maisie Williams' performance and she nailed it. I love that she's not even necessarily a worst-case scenario for what happens when you make a completely normal person immortal; the weight of years wore down on her, and her mind's just not built to handle it.

It doesn't even entirely matter that the rest of the episode's a bit weak, given that. We're not gonna remember it as 'the one with a lion-man alien' or 'the one with a guy doing stand-up comedy to stave off being hanged', we'll remember it as 'the one where Maisie Williams plays a really hosed-up immortal' and it's great at that.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 25, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Cleretic posted:

Well I wasn't in love with that episode, and thought it was a bit all over the place, but it was hanging on Maisie Williams' performance and she nailed it. I love that she's not even necessarily a worst-case scenario for what happens when you make a completely normal person immortal; the weight of years wore down on her, and her mind's just not built to handle it.

Yeah, she's very far from a worst case scenario. It's pretty easy to imagine everything from crazed serial killer to attempted conqueror of the world. Robbing dudes, being willing to kill people who want to kill you, and building up random legends on the battlefield is pretty tame stuff. It's very easy to build up a fortune as an immortal and start looking down on ordinary humans, and we're lucky that's basically the only immortality pitfall she fell into.

And yeah, Maisie rocks, but then I've basically always thought that.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yet another great episode. The Woman who Lived, admittedly, handled the whole light-tone-contrasted-with-darker-themes stuff a lot better than the previous one. It's really interesting that the episode basically ends with Ashilr planning to screw the Doctor over. The way she said "Oh, I think everyone will be." sent a shiver down my spine. He did not save her at all.

Hopefully, we'll also get to see Sam Swift again. He was a lot of fun. I'm sure he'll die horribly. :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, she's very far from a worst case scenario. It's pretty easy to imagine everything from crazed serial killer to attempted conqueror of the world. Robbing dudes, being willing to kill people who want to kill you, and building up random legends on the battlefield is pretty tame stuff. It's very easy to build up a fortune as an immortal and start looking down on ordinary humans, and we're lucky that's basically the only immortality pitfall she fell into.

And yeah, Maisie rocks, but then I've basically always thought that.

That's about my take on it too. I wasn't really a fan of this episode, but that said a lot of this episode was clearly banking on Maisie Williams' performance and damned if she didn't at least do a fantastic job of it. I did like that they went with the take of her slowly forgetting stuff like a normal person does over time for a change, rather than the usual "I REMEMBER ALL THINGS ALL THE TIME AND IT IS HELL! :qq:".

And More posted:

Yet another great episode. The Woman who Lived, admittedly, handled the whole light-tone-contrasted-with-darker-themes stuff a lot better than the previous one. It's really interesting that the episode basically ends with Ashilr planning to screw the Doctor over. The way she said "Oh, I think everyone will be." sent a shiver down my spine. He did not save her at all.

Hopefully, we'll also get to see Sam Swift again. He was a lot of fun. I'm sure he'll die horribly. :ohdear:

He did that once already, didn't you see his stand-up routine?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

"purple - the colour of death!"
"no, the light of immortality!"

who writes this poo poo?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He did that once already, didn't you see his stand-up routine?

Die horribly again, I mean.

Cerv posted:

who writes this poo poo?

Someone who really likes purple?

edit: nevermind

And More fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 25, 2015

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I really appreciate that it was largely an episode about the Doctor and Lady Me/Ashildr having a series of conversations with the action stuff mostly in the background. Pretty cool story overall. I prefer Doctor Who with a lighter touch.

I'm interested in next week's story because ZYGONS. Kill the Moon was really messy, but I liked it enough that I'm not inclined to write off Harness altogether. As long as the script gets more spit and polish than KtM appeared to it could be a good watch.

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 25, 2015

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I really like the concept of Ashyldr/Lady Me's character, but it really isn't done well in my opinion.

I think I'm just not a fan of Maisie Williams' acting. It fits the campiness of the series, so I shouldn't say that she sounds too campy and that it sticks out too much, but I think that's what it is for me. Like when she shouts out "I care! Oh god, I care!" immediately after killing Sam.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

misadventurous posted:

I'm interested in next week's story because ZYGONS. Kill the Moon was really messy, but I liked it enough that I'm not inclined to write off Harness altogether. As long as the script gets more spit and polish than KtM appeared to it could be a good watch.

Yeah, Kill the Moon's problems were such that I'm not inclined to entirely write him off. It's not a strong script, but it's more because he had ideas that got away from him; ideas with too much concept and too little polish to work, which then got compounded with a bad child actor. Something like the Zygons might suit him better, since they're known quantities and reasonably small. Contrast with In the Forest of the Night, which was clearly the product of somebody poo poo at writing and poo poo at messages.

Plus the overall concept seems pretty nice, I like the sound of a 'trust nobody, because everybody could be an imposter' story, that kinda poo poo's got good rewatch potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cerv posted:

who writes this poo poo?

I thought most of the dialog in this episode was lacking, but that third act is was when it really went into the toilet. See

Slowpoke! posted:

Like when she shouts out "I care! Oh god, I care!" immediately after killing Sam.

For another example.

• Locked thread