Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The doom 3 cyberdemon had some debatable design choices (what was with the humpback with a tail coming out of it or whatever that poo poo was?) but it was a defensible update of the classic in a way the Doom 2016 one isn't. As I've said before and I'm sure I'll say again, the Doom 2016 one isn't a complete miss as a cyborg demon, but it's a complete miss as a capital-c Cyberdemon, and that's the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
how in the hell do I install DoomRPG? Ive been staring at the instructions and it say to make a a batch or shell, what does that mean?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Doom 2016

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Humans Among Us posted:

Doom sure is brown lol

*goes colorblind*

I like how the Cacos look more like the D&D monster they were inspired by now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Can we all just agree that the most egregious Doom 4 Cyberdemon design decision is the asymmetry of its horns? That poo poo is bothering me blind.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Humans Among Us posted:

Doom sure is brown lol

*goes colorblind*

I didn't know what to do with the zombies, I think they're beyond help, but I had a quick go at this:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Well if they simplify the designs of the environments and monsters where are all of these next-gen graphics going to go, then? Huh smart guy?

gently caress them.

BTW the image above is testament to the importance of clean designs and bold silhouettes. The imps (?) are murky and indistinct and pretty much impossible to identify if there are other monsters of similar shape and size, while the larger demon appears as a shapeless hulk. The cacodemon is the only one that stands out. Also what is that idiotic gun supposed to be just give us sensible guns for chrissake. :psyduck:

Tobaccrow posted:

But whatever, the real offenders are the generic video-game-fleshy-zombie enemies that would be impossible to point out in a line-up of other fleshy zombie enemies from other games.
I just fought a bunch of those imp-like enemies...in a barrow in Skyrim.

Humans Among Us posted:

E; tho im sure modders wil fix it, as always :)

If the engine's anything like Id Tech 5, no they will not.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 25, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

uncleKitchener posted:

Why can't idsoftware make a FPS version of Vanquish with parkour?
Because Vanquish sold like four copies and the concept of FPS Parkour has been forever tainted by Brink.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Kins posted:

Because Vanquish sold like four copies and the concept of FPS Parkour has been forever tainted by Brink.

And Vanquish is cover shooter, has some Gears of War in it's DNA... which is in my humble opinion the worst kind of shooter imaginable. Just dull. Sitting behind a short wall simulator.

I'm not sure why we'd want Doom to play like that, I'll have what id's cooking thank you very much.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Heavy Metal posted:

And Vanquish is cover shooter, has some Gears of War in it's DNA... which is in my humble opinion the worst kind of shooter imaginable. Just dull. Sitting behind a short wall simulator.

I'm not sure why we'd want Doom to play like that, I'll have what id's cooking thank you very much.

You didn't actually play Vanquish, did you? The game penalizes you for actually staying in cover and not being on the go. Isn't that what made Doom fun?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Two things I noticed: Project Brutality updated again a while back. Mostly tweaks and tuning this time - even if you play it in 'pure' BDv20 mode, I think it's a general improvement. I do like the progression system, though!

Also, reading some comments on the upcoming official Brutal Doom campaign, it should be compatible with most gameplay mods (Brutality included and explicitly mentioned), but it also has some new content like setpiece bosses, including a full-size Icon Of Sin.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

uncleKitchener posted:

You didn't actually play Vanquish, did you? The game penalizes you for actually staying in cover and not being on the go. Isn't that what made Doom fun?

I did have Vanquish. The game has lots of little cover thingies a'la Gears of War, and you're expected to check back in to the ol' cover periodically. You just got to powerslide around and whatnot between spots where you hide and shoot at people. It's a twist on the cover shooter genre I guess, but it is part of it. I didn't make it up or something. As I recall if you tried to never use cover, it wouldn't go well. Not a run and gun game in the Doom mold in my opinion.

But hey I can dig that you're saying you like one game, and you'd like another game to have stuff you like from it. In that vein. Random note, I love that Doom finally has a jump button. Though the classic Doom levels often made use of vertical aspects and run jumping. One thing I'd like to see is a decent amount of traversing around with some platforming/jump puzzles to some degree. And just put teleporters at the bottom to put you back up if you mess up.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 25, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Woolie Wool posted:

Also what is that idiotic gun supposed to be just give us sensible guns for chrissake. :psyduck:

From what I saw it's apparently a sniper/railgun of some sort. In that context it's pretty neat shape-wise, but it's still not terribly cool looking. make the rails look sharper and menacing! make an alt fire where you can jam it in things melee style and rip a hole through them!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Heavy Metal posted:

I did have Vanquish. The game has lots of little cover thingies a'la Gears of War, and you're expected to check back in to the ol' cover periodically. You just got to powerslide around and whatnot between spots where you hide and shoot at people. It's a twist on the cover shooter genre I guess, but it is part of it. I didn't make it up or something. As I recall if you tried to never use cover, it wouldn't go well. Not a run and gun game in the Doom mold in my opinion.

But hey I can dig that you're saying you like one game, and you'd like another game to have stuff you like from it. In that vein. Random note, I love that Doom finally has a jump button. Though the classic Doom levels often made use of vertical aspects and run jumping. One thing I'd like to see is a decent amount of traversing around with some platforming/jump puzzles to some degree. And just put teleporters at the bottom to put you back up if you mess up.

You can pretty much go through the whole game without ever getting into cover and always on the move on any difficulty but that's not the argument here. You can't have covers in FPSs anyway since it always looked half assed and uninteresting. You can instead have a game which gives you good movement options and a challenge rather than making you feel you're driving a mechanized bipedal machine with spring shoes and change the pacing at every turn. What I'm trying to say is that all they need to do is have a bright color pallete with good contrast and something that's exciting and fun. Doom 4 looks like a game that I've already played many many times over and I've already have my library of fun FPSs.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

uncleKitchener posted:

Doom 4 looks like a game that I've already played many many times over and I've already have my library of fun FPSs.

Not to sound like a broken record from a page or so ago, but we've barely seen any of the single-player game. I'd like to see or play a good ten minutes somewhere past the cinematic tutorial where you first get the shotgun etc. What are the levels like, how's the flow? We don't know yet. But my vibe based on how they've described it and talked about it is very positive, and I like what we've seen so far.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dominic White posted:

Two things I noticed: Project Brutality updated again a while back. Mostly tweaks and tuning this time - even if you play it in 'pure' BDv20 mode, I think it's a general improvement. I do like the progression system, though!

Oooh, what's the progression system involve? I'm interested.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

But Dying Light did fps parkour ok again.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oooh, what's the progression system involve? I'm interested.

You start a campaign with standard Brutal Doom weapons and enemies (with a few tweaks, and a unified, nicely pixelly art style on all the guns), but as you complete more maps it slowly amps up the tech level. Bigger and better guns start dropping, as well as upgrade packs for existing weapons, and new higher-tier enemies start getting added to the mix.

By late game it's absolute bedlam. Akimbo auto-shotguns might seem excessive but when half the revenants have either railguns or jetpacks, it's only fitting.

It's my favourite Brutal Doom variant by far. Even runs somewhat better - a lot of the effects seem to have been optimized over v20, and almost every new feature (including specific new behaviours for old enemies) is toggleable too. There's pages upon pages of options. Personally, I just have everything turned on. Get it here.

As of the latest version there's a Traditional mode as well (mostly classic Doom functionality, with all the effects and gore), as well as a Pure BDv20 mode with all the enhancements and tunings. It should all be compatible with the final Brutal Doom campaign, too, at least according to Sgt. Mark

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 25, 2015

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Heavy Metal posted:

Not to sound like a broken record from a page or so ago, but we've barely seen any of the single-player game. I'd like to see or play a good ten minutes somewhere past the cinematic tutorial where you first get the shotgun etc. What are the levels like, how's the flow? We don't know yet. But my vibe based on how they've described it and talked about it is very positive, and I like what we've seen so far.

Who are you trying to convince?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Who are you trying to convince?

I'm trying to convince Bathtub Cheese that... I'd enjoy watching some gameplay of game Doom (2016) by id to see how the levels are. That's my thing.

I just see a lot of negativity towards the game, but it seems to mostly be assumptions. At least when talking about id's game. Certain Affinity's multiplayer component has the alpha to go on anyway. We can be optimistic or pessimistic, it's all good, I just don't quite know where the negativity for the game we've barely seen is coming from.

For example the important questions. Will be find a red skull key to open a door? Or, is it Half-Life 2 modern style, where we gather gave five skulls to fill a bucket that pulls a pulley to release a demonbird from a cage to fly through a hole which opens the door.

They scrapped the Call of Doom version of the game years back, so we probably won't just watch a cutscene where you open the door at least. The most hilarious was Killzone 3, where there was a quick cutscene for any action other than walking in a straight line. There was probably a cutscene for half the doors in the game, hell maybe half the stairs too.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 26, 2015

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm trying to convince Bathtub Cheese that... I'd enjoy watching some gameplay of game Doom (2016) by id to see how the levels are. That's my thing.

I just see a lot of negativity towards the game, but it seems to mostly be assumptions.
Well, id Software past Quake 1 doesn't have the greatest track record with single player FPS (hell, you can argue Doom 2 and Quake 1 aren't *that good* either). It's an entirely reasonable assumption! We all hope they'll deliver on their past glories, but man, what are the chances? :shobon:

That said, I'm still preordering it because I'm a big stupid Doom fan. In the likely event I'm disappointed, I won't be able to blame anyone but myself.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bread Pudding posted:

Well, id Software past Quake 1 doesn't have the greatest track record with single player FPS (hell, you can argue Doom 2 and Quake 1 aren't *that good* either). It's an entirely reasonable assumption! We all hope they'll deliver on their past glories, but man, what are the chances? :shobon:

That said, I'm still preordering it because I'm a big stupid Doom fan. In the likely event I'm disappointed, I won't be able to blame anyone but myself.

:getout:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Bread Pudding posted:

(hell, you can argue Doom 2 and Quake 1 aren't *that good* either)

Who the gently caress could argue that

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bread Pudding posted:

hell, you can argue Doom 2 and Quake 1 aren't *that good* either

no you can't

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
For awhile it was hip to say that doom2.wad was bad because better wads had been made in the following 20 years, but let's not get too carried away here

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dominic White posted:

You start a campaign with standard Brutal Doom weapons and enemies (with a few tweaks, and a unified, nicely pixelly art style on all the guns), but as you complete more maps it slowly amps up the tech level. Bigger and better guns start dropping, as well as upgrade packs for existing weapons, and new higher-tier enemies start getting added to the mix.

By late game it's absolute bedlam. Akimbo auto-shotguns might seem excessive but when half the revenants have either railguns or jetpacks, it's only fitting.

It's my favourite Brutal Doom variant by far. Even runs somewhat better - a lot of the effects seem to have been optimized over v20, and almost every new feature (including specific new behaviours for old enemies) is toggleable too. There's pages upon pages of options. Personally, I just have everything turned on. Get it here.

As of the latest version there's a Traditional mode as well (mostly classic Doom functionality, with all the effects and gore), as well as a Pure BDv20 mode with all the enhancements and tunings. It should all be compatible with the final Brutal Doom campaign, too, at least according to Sgt. Mark

I think I'd like it if it weren't tied to Brutal Doom. Something that gives variety and progression without completely changing the gameplay would be nice.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

I think I'd like it if it weren't tied to Brutal Doom. Something that gives variety and progression without completely changing the gameplay would be nice.

Doesn't DoomRL Arsenal pretty much do that anyway?

Project Brutality is impressive, though. It uses Brutal Doom as a foundation, but builds a shitton on top of it. At this point, I don't even think it shares any weapon sprites, and does a lot of new spritework on existing enemies. The new behaviours for old enemies are among the more interesting points - imps can crawl on the ground or even jump and move across the ceiling, and generally feel like a hybrid of classic Doom and Doom 3 style.

I think it's probably the biggest gameplay mod out there. 155mb for the main file at this point. BD is, what, 27?

Anyway, if you want it to play more like classic doom, you can! That's what Traditional mode is for in this latest build. I think you end up with the new enemy progression, but are locked to more retro style weaponry. Can't say I've played around with it too much. Impressively, most of the Trad weapons have different sprites to the regular set.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 26, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Duke Nukem: attrition updated, if anyone cares. :geno:

Sadly the Duke choked to death on old George's jockstrap a long time ago. :negative:

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Jia posted:

Who the gently caress could argue that

I mean if you're allergic to the color brown and Trent Reznor and completely ignore the mod scene and really hate double barreled shotguns for some reason...

Also if you cock your head a bit and squint and-

nope, Doom 2 and Quake 1 are fuckin' dope

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The cliche "Quake is brown" complaint always struck me a little bit like complaining that a sepia painting is brown. Yes, you identified the dominant hue, here's your prize. It still looks good.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Geight posted:

For awhile it was hip to say that doom2.wad was bad because better wads had been made in the following 20 years, but let's not get too carried away here

doom2.wad is "bad", relatively, because the levels aren't nearly as well put together as most of doom.wad.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

JerryLee posted:

The cliche "Quake is brown" complaint always struck me a little bit like complaining that a sepia painting is brown. Yes, you identified the dominant hue, here's your prize. It still looks good.
I like the levels that are more pale blue (The Wizard's Manse) or turquoise-ish green (the shade poison slime uses, as well as showing up on brick textures now-and-then), personally.

Speaking of Quake, I was rather amused at how the videos of the Doom alpha Bethesda put out featured Quad Damage rather prominently, complete with the requisite guitar riff when you fire.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Klaus88 posted:

Duke Nukem: attrition updated, if anyone cares. :geno:

Sadly the Duke choked to death on old George's jockstrap a long time ago. :negative:

What in Zeus's name are you talking about, Duke is second only to Doom in having tons of great user content to this day. As you know since you just posted about it. Duke is alive and well! Always bet on Duke. Always fuckin bet on Duke motherfuck, always bet on Duuuuke.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Keiya posted:

doom2.wad is "bad", relatively, because the levels aren't nearly as well put together as most of doom.wad.

It amazes me that the iD that made Doom 2's maps also made a good amount of Quake 1's maps. Doom 2's default maps feel mostly phoned in after you play Q1's, which is classic iD bringing their A-game for one last product before losing Romero.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

What in Zeus's name are you talking about, Duke is second only to Doom in having tons of great user content to this day. As you know since you just posted about it. Duke is alive and well! Always bet on Duke. Always fuckin bet on Duke motherfuck, always bet on Duuuuke.
Seems like there's quite a gap between amount of Doom content and Duke content. Good Duke mods seem like they're pretty scarce.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

closeted republican posted:

It amazes me that the iD that made Doom 2's maps also made a good amount of Quake 1's maps. Doom 2's default maps feel mostly phoned in after you play Q1's, which is classic iD bringing their A-game for one last product before losing Romero.

Wasn't Doom 2 mostly done in a super short time, and what wasn't was scrapped levels from the first? It's kinda understandable that its maps were a bit poo poo.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

We couldn't properly celebrate Hallow's Eve this year so we decided to reschedule it over Thanksgiving. All year I had been planning to go as Duke Nukum--sourcing the perfect red t-shirt, 40mm grenade casings for the bandoleer, blue jeans, et cetera. When I showed up in my outfit, my mom immediately cried, "Hail the King!" (or something like that, it was close enough) and invited me in. All of our family immediately knew who I was.

That's how recognizable the Duke brand is.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

closeted republican posted:

What's really amazing is that many of the best maps in Quake were made by Sandy Petersen. Where did he suddenly learn to make great maps like The Tower of Despair and The Palace of Hate? Doubly so because many of the E4 maps actually look good too. The Nameless City is probably the most atmospheric map in the whole game.

(The Pain Maze still sucks though)

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 26, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I really like Sandy Petersen's work in Doom 1 and 2, too. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

gently caress The Chasm, though. And Barrels of Fun.