Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Thump! posted:

It's really a modern miracle of science and probably magic that his comb-over works the way that it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I don't even know what is real anymore.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pohl posted:

I don't even know what is real anymore.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Ben Carson doesn't reject evolution, it's that he believes in God. He thinks there was a creator, and universal human rights etc come from natural law under God. It is more nuanced than thinking we Never Came From Apes, but that there is purpose and meaning to life, right and wrong, and that God informs this to us all and gives us the power or wisdom to do things. It's literally what all Christians, Jews, Muslims etc believe, that God is real and is good, so we should be like him. He, to the best of my knowledge, has never said anything about the "Earth being 6000 years old" which I saw posted in this thread being told to someone's parents to convince them how stupid Ben is which is very dishonest. No one but extremely stupid people believe this, it's called Young Earth Creationism and is not part of Christian theology, it was only recently invented by some dumb hick fuckers trolling the media or something, not actual Christian philosophers or theologians.

This is the belief system that countless scientists, artists, etc have held for thousands of years, it's not stupid, it's just being a Christian. They use God as the foundation of liberty, freedom, good, etc. "One nation, under God" is part of American rhetoric because it means "One nation, Fair Just and Free" or whatever.

I'm not a Christian now but was raised Roman Catholic, and I understand that being a scientist and a Christian is not some impossible thing and Proof of Low Intelligence. Its basically how everyone thinks about God anyways, not this bible thumping bullshit that thinks dinosaur fossils are spawned by the devil to troll us. This is something people keep repeating to each other, but it's a false meme. He does not believe the earth is 6,000 years old lol, he's believes in God, which every other candidate does too, or so they say, there's no difference at all. Ben is just honest about Christianity, probably because he thinks about these things. The dude is just a creative thinker, he came up with new or experimental surgeries,it's his whole gimmick, applying creative intelligence + common sense to problems. This is what doctors do to figure out how to save the lives no one else can, you can't be stupid and think at a level required to be 1/100th the doctor that Ben Carson is. He thinks God created people, but nature, physics, science, etc all is all by God's design. He prob thinks we did evolve from primates, but that it wasn't random genetic mutations at work, just God's plan.

Sad that people don't know basic world religions anymore, shouldn't these things be taught in school? Or is everyone just taught racist poo poo instead nowadays, cuz it seems like it. People are so hostile about conservative ideas, they flip out in a rage if you sound like one whereas BBC politely discusses both sides to these things like Grown-Ups should.

Someone try to tell me how any of this is "stupid" seriously, I'd love to take a shot at it lol. I keep trying to debate someone, but I just get called names and banned, cuz no one can win a debate with me on anything here.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 25, 2015

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Smoothrich posted:

Ben Carson doesn't reject evolution, it's that he believes in God. He thinks there was a creator, and universal human rights etc come from natural law under God. It is more nuanced than thinking we Never Came From Apes, but that there is purpose and meaning to life, right and wrong, and that God informs this to us all and gives us the power or wisdom to do things. It's literally what all Christians, Jews, Muslims etc believe, that God is real and is good, so we should be like him. He, to the best of my knowledge, has never said anything about the "Earth being 6000 years old" which I saw posted in this thread being told to someone's parents to convince them how stupid Ben is which is very dishonest. No one but extremely stupid people believe this, it's called Young Earth Creationism and is not part of Christian theology, it was only recently invented by some dumb hick fuckers trolling the media or something, not actual Christian philosophers or theologians.

This is the belief system that countless scientists, artists, etc have held for thousands of years, it's not stupid, it's just being a Christian. They use God as the foundation of liberty, freedom, good, etc. "One nation, under God" is part of American rhetoric because it means "One nation, Fair Just and Free" or whatever.

I'm not a Christian, I was raised Roman Catholic, but I understand that being a scientist and a Christian is not some impossible thing and Proof of Low Intelligence, its basically how everyone thinks about God anyways, not this bible thumping bullshit that thinks dinosaur fossils are spawned by the devil to troll us. This is something people keep repeating to each other, but it's a false meme. He does not believe the earth is 6,000 years old lol, he's believes in God, which every other candidate does too, or so they say, there's no difference at all. Ben is just honest about Christianity, probably because he thinks about these things. The dude is just a creative thinker, he came up with new or experimental surgeries,it's his whole gimmick, applying creative intelligence + common sense to problems. This is what doctors do to figure out how to save the lives no one else can, you can't be stupid and think at a level required to be 1/100th the doctor that Ben Carson is. He thinks God created people, but nature, physics, science, etc all is all by God's design. He prob thinks we did evolve from primates, but that it wasn't random genetic mutations at work, just God's plan.

Sad that people don't know basic world religions anymore, shouldn't these things be taught in school? Or is everyone just taught racist poo poo instead nowadays, cuz it seems like it. People are so hostile about conservative ideas, they flip out in a rage if you sound like one whereas BBC politely discusses both sides to these things like Grown-Ups should.

carsons real dumb, soz

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Smoothrich posted:

I'm not a Christian now but was raised Roman Catholic, and I understand that being a scientist and a Christian is not some impossible thing and Proof of Low Intelligence. Its basically how everyone thinks about God anyways, not this bible thumping bullshit that thinks dinosaur fossils are spawned by the devil to troll us. This is something people keep repeating to each other, but it's a false meme. He does not believe the earth is 6,000 years old lol, he's believes in God, which every other candidate does too, or so they say, there's no difference at all. Ben is just honest about Christianity, probably because he thinks about these things. The dude is just a creative thinker, he came up with new or experimental surgeries,it's his whole gimmick, applying creative intelligence + common sense to problems. This is what doctors do to figure out how to save the lives no one else can, you can't be stupid and think at a level required to be 1/100th the doctor that Ben Carson is. He thinks God created people, but nature, physics, science, etc all is all by God's design. He prob thinks we did evolve from primates, but that it wasn't random genetic mutations at work, just God's plan.

Someone try to tell me how any of this is "stupid" seriously, I'd love to take a shot at it lol

For some reason i was unable to parse this beyond the 2nd sentence.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
oh also carson isnt hard and fast "the world is 6000 years old, end of discussion" type but he does believe it was create in 6 days, so hes a real squishy creationist w/out the strength of his freaking convictions lmao

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Coylter posted:

For some reason i was unable to parse this beyond the 2nd sentence.

It's basic poo poo, but people seem ignorant of it. Carson is stupid, cuz he believes in God? Please, I want to be convinced this guy is "stupid"

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Zoran posted:

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then remember that half of us are dumber.

that's not how averages work :ssj:

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

paranoid randroid posted:

oh also carson isnt hard and fast "the world is 6000 years old, end of discussion" type but he does believe it was create in 6 days, so hes a real squishy creationist w/out the strength of his freaking convictions lmao

How long did it take to create life on Earth then? Do you know The Truth?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
In an effort to reinvigorate his campaign, Jeb! is gonna bring his father out on the campaign trail and be responsible for his death.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
He's a Seventh Day Adventists, all of which literally believe the Earth is 6000 years old. Quit making poo poo up.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Job Truniht posted:

He's a Seventh Day Adventists, all of which literally believe the Earth is 6000 years old. Quit making poo poo up.

Someone just contradicted you three posts up. Your stories are crossed. What's up with that?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Smoothrich posted:

id go full metal creationist or join reality and say it was a billion year process instead of hedging my bets like the worlds sleepiest dilettante

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
smoothrich is v serious about Ben "Buy My Book" Carson, who is assuredly a serious candidate despite spending all his fundraised money on more fundraising

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

TheTatteredKing posted:

Ignorance is a form of being dumb.

everyone is ignorant

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ego-bot posted:

In an effort to reinvigorate his campaign, Jeb! is gonna bring his father out on the campaign trail and be responsible for his death.

If Trump can take out Sr, Jeb, and destroy Dubya's 9/11 legacy all in one primary campaign season he is really a great American

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

id go full metal creationist or join reality and say it was a billion year process instead of hedging my bets like the worlds sleepiest dilettante

What informs your knowledge on life taking one billion years to be created? I bet science would love your insight.

Anything that proves this guy is dumb? I want to believe he's stupid, but find it a difficult premise to accept at face value.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 25, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Smoothrich posted:

What informs your knowledge on life taking one billion years to be created? I bet science would love your insight.

current reckoning that puts the amount of time from the formation of the earth out of the accretion disk to the emergence of prokaryotic life in the range of 700 million yrs - 2000 million years?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
wait are we doing some retard socrates "but how do you know what you know, crito?" thing, because if so im just gonna jump ahead in the script and encourage you to drink poison

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Smoothrich posted:

. No one but extremely stupid people believe this, it's called Young Earth Creationism and is not part of Christian theology, it was only recently invented by some dumb hick fuckers trolling the media or something, not actual Christian philosophers or theologians.

Lol.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ussher_chronology

The Ussher chronology is a 17th-century chronology of the history of the world formulated from a literal reading of the Bible By James Ussher, the Archbishop of Armagh.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 25, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Suck it, Bushes. I hope your whole family's political aspirations go down in flames forever, that the Bush name becomes an embarrassment. You're monsters who get everything you deserve, and I'm glad the elder Bush is going to live long enough to see Jeb (and his family legacy) ground into the dirt.

it's not just this! we could not only see the bushes excised from politics but also an actual split in one of the parties for the first time in a generation. more like suck it, fukuyama

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

This can only help Trump among his target demographic.

"Look at how tough he is on pro-immigration un-Americans."

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

current reckoning that puts the amount of time from the formation of the earth out of the accretion disk to the emergence of prokaryotic life in the range of 700 million yrs - 2000 million years?

So six days somewhere in that billion year window could've been God Magic that sparked life? It's not even contradictory. Also no scientists agree on anything, there's wildly contradicting models to explain some inexplicably impossible to recreate phenomenon of Life from Nothing, its all bs

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
smoothrich are you outing yourself as an OE creationist itt

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Smoothrich posted:

So six days somewhere in that billion year window could've been God Magic that sparked life? It's not even contradictory. Also no scientists agree on anything, there's wildly contradicting models to explain some inexplicably impossible to recreate phenomenon of Life from Nothing, its all bs

Pretty sure that there was no six day period that went from light to the heavens and earths to plants and animals to man.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-8zQC-9Iok

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Smoothrich posted:

why does it even have to six days, I bet god back then was a bit lazy and it actually took six months

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Also Ben Carson literally thinks that the devil made Darwin think up evolution.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kalman posted:

Pretty sure that there was no six day period that went from light to the heavens and earths to plants and animals to man.

According to some theoretical physicists, this is like one of an infinite amount of dimensions that keep repeating into the same universe expanding and collapsing through magical worm holes of space time before being reborn and poo poo, its all lunatic nonsense, that if you question for too long, you just go with whatever sounds right. People think that life came from the sun, came from mars, came from an asteroid, came from soup, came from the crust, etc etc. And you don't have to think that God got right to man on the sixth day, just that he "created" things, which means the laws of nature and physics. Maybe he hosed it up on the third day like a Low Gravity counter-strike server and started over. I think he means God used his own Gifted Hands to fiddle around and plant poo poo like terraforming a Sim City map. There's just no way to assume someone is stupid, because they say these things. He doesn't communicate himself that good because he's a doctor, they are all like that, but if you stop assuming he's a loving idiot whenever he talks, people wouldn't sound like such racist mean dicks when they talk about politics. Everyone thinks conservatives are vile monsters, its why the country is hosed up and Joe Biden said "they are the opposition, not enemy" for a reason.

point of return posted:

Also Ben Carson literally thinks that the devil made Darwin think up evolution.

What, an intelligent design vs survival of the fittest? That's seems like a common debate. Its about the complexity of some things, they just seem so perfect as they are and don't make sense how it got that way logically.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 25, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
People like Carson because he's a literal brain surgeon that shares their awful opinions. It makes them feel smart.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Smoothrich posted:

This is a stupid even for you.
If you actually believe the stupid poo poo you are spouting, :lol:

The Truth!

:lol:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Logikv9 posted:

People like Carson because he's a literal brain surgeon that shares their awful opinions. It makes them feel smart.

That, and he's just so darn nice, and so darn honest and heartfelt. Unlike that unruly loudmouth bully Trump!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
retard socrates, with underpants on head: What is Truth, Glaucus?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Do It Once Right posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book, essay, or article(s) tackling how the GOP managed to normalize the idea of a field where over a dozen people representing the party run for POTUS?

I know I'm basically asking for a book on how the GOP screwed itself, but I want an analysis that's focused on finances, if it even exists. thanks in advance.

Go read Nixonland, The Invisible Bridge, The Clothes Have No Emperor, and The Authoritarians. That would give you a chronological view of what happened to the GOP in the latter half of the 20th century. Basically, GOP politicians made an effort to court former Southern Democrats and Evangelical Christians after the passage of the Civil Rights Act and Roe v. Wade establishing a right to abortion by the Supreme Court. Reagan added anti-intellectual fuel to that already burning fire when he ran and won in '80 and '84.

George H.W. Bush was never much for any of that stuff, but managed to get into office in '88 after being VP. He made the unfortunate calculation that being an adult and passing decent policy by raising taxes would be good for him in '92. It wasn't. Clinton, a southern Democrat, decided to run as a moderate candidate that could bridge some elements of conservatism with compassion and hope for the future. Bush was out, and then Third Way-ism became the thing for Democrats for a while.

The modern craziness of the GOP is pretty much entirely due to Nixon's Southern Strategy and Reagan running as an outsider candidate. Reagan took a shot at Ford in '76, and then prevailed over Bush in '80 for the nomination. He hosed the establishment GOP'ers over pretty hard in a way that's very similar to what's happening now with Trump. The Tea Party, anti-intellectualism, masturbation over States Rights.. all traces back to either Nixon or Reagan.

The really shocking thing is that George W. Bush was able to secure the nomination for 2000. You wouldn't know it now, but the Bush name was persona non grata among the base due to the Bush family first opposing Reagan and then losing to Clinton. Then after his disastrous Presidency they were ready to disown him once more in order to masturbate to anti-intellectual outsider candidates like they'd been doing since Reagan.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 25, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Smoothrich posted:

What, an intelligent design vs survival of the fittest? That's seems like a common debate. Its about the complexity of some things, they just seem so perfect as they are and don't make sense how it got that way logically.

:lol:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Smoothrich posted:

they just seem so perfect as they are and don't make sense how it got that way logically.

if you knew anything about biology you would know this wasn't true. thankfully for you, you can say you have the same understanding of biology as a neurosurgeon to soften the blow

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I still don't think Carson is stupid, because these are things that religious scientists all believe I bet, literally all of them. They think there's some intelligent design behind things, and you can't Logic out of it, so scientists are happy to believe it, while studying whatever they do best. It doesn't make you "smarter" if you think that the flagellum poo poo of a virus or w/e had to be designed a certain way for a simple organism with no other complexity to function in the first place, its not like these guys "evolved" from nothing to begin with.

Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean they're stupid. You aren't smart if you are a liberal gung-ho Democrat on everything for every issue and fear evil Republicans cuz the media is one big Daily Show nowadays, unless you think highschool aged kids are smarter than doctors, deans, Trump, etc are.

Lotka Volterra posted:

if you knew anything about biology you would know this wasn't true. thankfully for you, you can say you have the same understanding of biology as a neurosurgeon to soften the blow

Can you explain it to me then? Cuz biology is not my strong suit, but did biologists prove that God isn't real and chart the evolution of all organisms to ever exist? Cuz that sounds interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

hes like this |_| close to saying "irreducible complexity"

• Locked thread