Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Were any of the 4th-gen crop (14/15/16/18) of fighters ever nuke-certified?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Party Plane Jones posted:

There is a law (dating from about the late 1950s/early 1960s) that states no nuclear-capable jet aircraft can be sold/transferred to a private party.

Sorry, maybe this has been discussed before (I haven't caught up on the entire thread yet!) but this seems a bit weird. What does "nuclear-capable" really mean? I assume you can just remove the box that does the special handshake with the bomb to arm it or whatever and the plane can no longer launch nuclear weapons, but is it still "nuclear-capable" because you can physically mount a nuclear bomb on it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Enourmo posted:

Were any of the 4th-gen crop (14/15/16/18) of fighters ever nuke-certified?

The F-16 certainly is, and I think the F-18 is as well. I would additionally WAG that the F-15E is, too.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Buttcoin purse posted:

Sorry, maybe this has been discussed before (I haven't caught up on the entire thread yet!) but this seems a bit weird. What does "nuclear-capable" really mean? I assume you can just remove the box that does the special handshake with the bomb to arm it or whatever and the plane can no longer launch nuclear weapons, but is it still "nuclear-capable" because you can physically mount a nuclear bomb on it?

If you can't do the special handshake with the bomb to arm it, then you're just carrying an expensive brick. That's not "nuclear capable" any more than a pallet jack or a mule is. It's that box and all the associated wiring that makes a US warplane capable of successfully employing a nuclear weapon that makes something "nuclear capable." The bombs themselves use standard hard points, and can be physically carried by anything with hardpoints, pretty much.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Spaced God posted:

Starfighter is the Miata of fighters

Huge engine in a tiny body, fast, twitchy, likely to kill its pilots...

Starfighter is the Shelby Cobra of fighters.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

vessbot posted:

Hey Linedance, I saw the OP today, and in it where you have a link to my post about the Streak Eagle, you forgot there's a Part 2! :)

Also I wish I could edit this in as an addendum, but I can't: MrChips's awesome summary of the mods on the P-42 (Su-27's counterpart to the Streak Eagle):

Updated!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Wouldn't the Miata of fighter jets be something like the F-5/T-38? It's also probably the most realistic option to owning an actual fighter jet.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, I always thought the F-5 was very Miata-like.

Previa_fun posted:

Huge engine in a tiny body, fast, twitchy, likely to kill its pilots...

Starfighter is the Shelby Cobra of fighters.

Or a souped-up motorcycle.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Wouldn't the Miata of fighter jets be something like the F-5/T-38? It's also probably the most realistic option to owning an actual fighter jet.

How recent of a fighter jet? Michael Dorn owned an F-86.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
F-86es, MiG-15s, and the like routinely come up for sale on sites like Courtesy Aircraft, Platinum Fighters, and even Trade-a-Plane

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

He also owned TWO F-104s. I believe he still owns one.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Something I never expected to say: I wish I could be Michael Dorn.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Something I never expected to say: I wish I could be Michael Dorn.

Uhh speak for yourself, I'm pretty sure I wish I could've been given this line in an actual Hollywood movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFxGPI1Uvlg

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Why? In what way is that better than using a non modified vehicle? Why?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

tactlessbastard posted:

I think its for ease of backing up/turning around with the plane in a tight spot with other planes parked around.

I also found a Seaplane taking off from a trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88o4UhSeCx0

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P30Jf6bN2EA

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

The B-2 is one of those planes that just will never not look like a CGI rendering. Even when I got to see it do a fly-by of my college, it still looks completely and utterly unreal, which is pretty cool. Except from the side, then it looks like a football or rugby ball.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

tactlessbastard posted:

What non modified vehicles are there for moving seaplanes?

Hanging the dolly off the back makes it really hard for moving sea planes that are parked on land as you spend all your time looking out the back, plus it makes it more difficult to line up with the spreaders when picking it out of the water.

Putting it out front and leaving the back wheels on means it can't steer.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Anyone here live in OKC? I just saw a giant four piston engined aircraft fly low near downtown. I thought it was a b-29 at first but it was too stout and there is no way in hell fifi is in town right now. It did look like it had a similar cockpit window though

It was silver, but the flaps were some shade of red-orange.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The B-2 is one of the most surreal-looking airplanes ever. It's one of the few planes that you can reliably describe its appearance as "science fiction incarnated".

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Fred Breakfast posted:

Anyone here live in OKC? I just saw a giant four piston engined aircraft fly low near downtown. I thought it was a b-29 at first but it was too stout and there is no way in hell fifi is in town right now. It did look like it had a similar cockpit window though

It's Aluminum Overcast, a B-17. Stout is a good adjective. It's at Sundance airport in Yukon yesterday and today.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fred Breakfast posted:

it was the B-17 that was flying over Denver all last week, I bet. I didn't get a tail number.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'll never stop getting cheered up when I remember that Jack Northrop got to see it coming to life before he died.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I love how well the phenomenon of "black triangular UFOs" in the southwest lines up with the development of the B-2 and the F-117.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Godholio posted:

I'll never stop getting cheered up when I remember that Jack Northrop got to see it coming to life before he died.
I saw a magazine article and remember feeling the same shortly after the B2 was publicly announced. Something about AF officers coming to his house asking him to sign and NDA and showing him all the poo poo. Made me :love: inside.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I love how well the phenomenon of "black triangular UFOs" in the southwest lines up with the development of the B-2 and the F-117.
True and remember thinking the exact same thing, but keep in mind that literally any 3 lights in the sky the mind will automatically make a triangular shape out of it regardless if they are connected or not.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

YF19pilot posted:

The B-2 is one of those planes that just will never not look like a CGI rendering. Even when I got to see it do a fly-by of my college, it still looks completely and utterly unreal, which is pretty cool. Except from the side, then it looks like a football or rugby ball.

We had a B-2 filyover a few years ago before a game and it was probably the creepiest thing I've ever experienced. Two billion dollars flying over your head and it doesn't even make a sound until after it's gone way past you.

e: nope nevermind

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 26, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

slidebite posted:

I saw a magazine article and remember feeling the same shortly after the B2 was publicly announced. Something about AF officers coming to his house asking him to sign and NDA and showing him all the poo poo. Made me :love: inside.

Did he live long enough to see it fly?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't know. I don't think so, it was more of a vindication article and he was literally a foot in the grave at that point. Still pretty honorable of the AF do it though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Preoptopus posted:

I think its for ease of backing up/turning around with the plane in a tight spot with other planes parked around.

I also found a Seaplane taking off from a trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88o4UhSeCx0

Pfft. Show me a seaplane taking off from a treadmill and I'll be impressed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Locator posted:

Did he live long enough to see it fly?

No. He got to see some diagrams and concept art and a scale model, after the design was basically locked. So he knew what it was going to look like, at least. The story goes that he wrote (he was unable to speak at that point) something like "So this is why God has kept me alive for the past 25 years." He died a few months later.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Godholio posted:

No. He got to see some diagrams and concept art and a scale model, after the design was basically locked. So he knew what it was going to look like, at least. The story goes that he wrote (he was unable to speak at that point) something like "So this is why God has kept me alive for the past 25 years." He died a few months later.

Bummer, but it's pretty cool that they brought him in to see what they had going before he died.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Earlier this year 737s had LED lighting for cargo, wheel well, and landing lights as standard for delivery. Been starting to see some flying through the Seattle fog and they're quite bright! It's a different look than what I'm used to seeing, so I'm kind of excited to see the new "UFO Sighting" videos appear.

Fredrick
Jan 20, 2008

BRU HU HA HA HA
Orville Wright managed to live long enough to see the sound barrier broken. Imagine watching aviation progress from rickety cotton-and-plywood contraptions that try to spin themselves out of the sky with their engine's own centrifugal force to glimmering, screaming, aluminum cigars with wings that /go faster than SOUND/ in less than 40 years.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Plinkey posted:

Cozy.

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/086/XB-70A%20Pilot%20Station.html

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/086/XB-70A%20Copilot%20Station.html

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/086/XB-70A%20Electronic%20Equipment%20Compartment.html

It looks like you can get up and walk around in the equipment compartment but there's nowhere to sit or anything. I also can't figure out what's through the little door in the back.

FYI, this page is awesome, and looks like it's been updated a lot since the last time I looked it up.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/VirtualTour/Cockpit360.aspx

Old quote, but these are awesome.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fredrick posted:

Orville Wright managed to live long enough to see the sound barrier broken. Imagine watching aviation progress from rickety cotton-and-plywood contraptions that try to spin themselves out of the sky with their engine's own centrifugal force to glimmering, screaming, aluminum cigars with wings that /go faster than SOUND/ in less than 40 years.

Another 14 and he'd have seen John Glenn go into orbit. :stare:

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

ehnus posted:

Hanging the dolly off the back makes it really hard for moving sea planes that are parked on land as you spend all your time looking out the back, plus it makes it more difficult to line up with the spreaders when picking it out of the water.

Putting it out front and leaving the back wheels on means it can't steer.

The Olds Toronado was sometimes used for this, as it was body-on-frame V8 FWD.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Cool/rare Nazi plane pictures

Messerschmitt Me 262V-1 Nowarra collection by SDASM Archives, on Flickr
Messerschmitt Me 262 R-7 Weimar, Germany 12 May 1945 Peter Boisseau collection by SDASM Archives, on Flickr
Messerschmitt Me 309V-1 Nowarra collection by SDASM Archives, on Flickr
Early test flight of Messerschmitt Me 163V-1 Nowarra collection by SDASM Archives, on Flickr
Messerschmitt P.1101 Nowarra collection by SDASM Archives, on Flickr

Didn't know that there were at least two 1101 mockups, the pictured one and one without a cockpit.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

rocket_350 posted:

The Olds Toronado was sometimes used for this, as it was body-on-frame V8 FWD.

That looks so wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
But feels so right