Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

One thing I do wish they do add is the non jump gate system you visit at the end of the game, and than ramp the difficulty all the way up to challenge the Mk6 fitted ships we all fly around in once we have finished the campaign. bonus points if they ramp it up and its still threat level very high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Crimson Harvest posted:

Finished the plot. Fun game for sure, I'd recommend it, especially at this price. I hope they add some new content sometime, the kind that gets seeded into the universe and not bethesda-style extra areas.

Like factions, ships and weapons? I'd be 100% down with that, and the way the game is set up, I don't think it'd be that hard to do.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Popete posted:

Really hope my game isn't borked. I'm at an early mission where I have to meet the Militia lady out in space and she asks you to help scan traders who are carrying contraband. We blew up all the traders and nearby fighters but now she is just flying off aimlessly and I can't trigger a conversation. Anyone else run into this?

Use your pulse. I had one fighter left a fair bit away from the group.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
No wonder it took so long to find this story target guy.

He's loving invisible.

Aiming my broadsides during that fight was... It was a thing. So I just said gently caress it and kamikaze close ranged the bigger than me (at least, so far as the scan and speech could tell) ship to death point blank broadside spam wise. Off to the bug forums I go.

EDIT: On a lighter note, I am enjoying the Tennhausen (The Cheaper than Scarab Frigate). I also got lucky and found a Mk 2 Electrobolt broadside so I'm not exactly OP starting zone guns wise (Mk2 Protons do more damage), but it feels nice having something that shoots well with some extras (+50% deflector damage).

Flak has felt completely useless so far though. Even when trying to make sure they fire off into the path of fighters and missiles, nothing happens but wasting ammo really. Time to see what the cheaop fire and forget missiles are like.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 25, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Section Z posted:

Flak has felt completely useless so far though. Even when trying to make sure they fire off into the path of fighters and missiles, nothing happens but wasting ammo really. Time to see what the cheaop fire and forget missiles are like.

Flak doesn't use ammo, and if you just hold down the flak button instead of trying to time it, missiles will never reach you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Flak doesn't use ammo, and if you just hold down the flak button instead of trying to time it, missiles will never reach you.

Doesn't help so much when 90% of the missiles I have to worry about are headed towards my front end, and flak fires out to the sides and blows up behind where I'm going so the missiles don't give any fucks :shepface: (Oh good I'm behind the destroyer/missile boat ship... Oh that's right they can fire their swarm missiles at me from literally any direction).

Okay so spamming the gently caress out of them has dealt with a few small fighters, but they feel like they haven't been pulling their weight despite me getting them for free.

Though that does explain why I never had to pay for reloads and all those ordinance crates didn't do much until I switched to missiles. But at least I notice fighters, and even beam turrets around stations dying when I pop out some secondary slot missiles.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Section Z posted:

Doesn't help so much when 90% of the missiles I have to worry about are headed towards my front end, and flak fires out to the sides and blows up behind where I'm going so the missiles don't give any fucks :shepface: (Oh good I'm behind the destroyer/missile boat ship... Oh that's right they can fire their swarm missiles at me from literally any direction).

Okay so spamming the gently caress out of them has dealt with a few small fighters, but they feel like they haven't been pulling their weight despite me getting them for free.

Though that does explain why I never had to pay for reloads and all those ordinance crates didn't do much until I switched to missiles. But at least I notice fighters, and even beam turrets around stations dying when I pop out some secondary slot missiles.

I'm always firing on broadsides, so missiles never come at me from the front. Say what you will about the Tachyon broadsides that lets you unload into a larger ship's side, but the sniper broadsides keeps you completely safe. I guess that does change if you're focusing on turrets instead. If you're going to get hit by head on missiles, tap your deflector before they hit?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I feel like I've hit a financial wall at the transition from Mk 4 to Mk 5 equipment, missions are still only giving ~100-250k even in sectors selling Mk 6 gear but upgrades are starting to cost millions.

I've only had 1 million plus Merchant mission early on which got me a nice set of gear but I have no idea how to coax the game into giving me more big missions.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Section Z posted:

Slow down Oh wait you said front

Just turn the ship silly

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 25, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The general vibe I'm getting from this game is "always buy a new ship first before boosting your weapons/defense systems," does that seem right?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

exquisite tea posted:

The general vibe I'm getting from this game is "always buy a new ship first before boosting your weapons/defense systems," does that seem right?

No, good equipment is better than a bigger ship, within reason.

Defenses -> broadsides -> hull -> turrets & secondaries is probably the easiest way to min/max your effectiveness, but there are a lot of exceptions. For one thing, that style of upgrades also pushes you into playing a more methodical style. You have good shields and legs, but not enough firepower to just wade in and finish stuff off quickly -- so it behooves you to pick guys off and not get swarmed. You can do harder missions for more pay, if that's your thing. It's smart but a bit dull IMHO. But I like glass cannons and blow up frequently, which isn't to everyone's taste.

Despite the fairly limited selection of weapon types, what I like about this game is there are a lot of viable ways to go in combat. Goon A doesn't like flack, Goon B thinks he's crazy because flack is great for him. Neither is wrong. You can play "front towards enemy" in which case flack isn't very good, compared to heavy missiles & the using the deflector to absorb missiles. Versus a standoff broadside style where flack takes care of the missiles and fighters much better, and you use deflectors for staying power because you have less burst damage.

There's zero penalty for changing your ship & loadout around, and near-zero penalty for blowing up. Try poo poo out, find new combos you like playing.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Pryor on Fire posted:

This game is really charming but also really shallow. I was eagerly awaiting the upgrade class/option where I could start equipping fighters and bombers and hopefully customize my loadout a bit. Nope, fighters/bombers just don't have motherships in this game it seems :(

This is probably my biggest single complaint. It's still a great game, especially for the price point, but I wanted so badly to just poo poo out swarms of fighters on command. :argh:

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
How do I know what price I bought a commodity for? I want to make sure I am selling for a profit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GOG still don't have the hotfix :negative:

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Klyith posted:

No, good equipment is better than a bigger ship, within reason.

Defenses -> broadsides -> hull -> turrets & secondaries is probably the easiest way to min/max your effectiveness

I would disagree. Defense and/or turrets -> Turrets and/or defense -> rest.

Turrets do a lot more than what you give them credit for.

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.
any quick tips for getting stuck in an asteroid/nook of a debris piece?

big stupid can't figure out how to reverse

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Now I know what to call my next ship, thanks!

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

tacosupreme posted:

any quick tips for getting stuck in an asteroid/nook of a debris piece?

big stupid can't figure out how to reverse

Per : http://steamcommunity.com/app/290300/discussions/0/483367798513622760/

Problem> Oh no! I've managed to get myself hung up in a big twisted piece of junk floating in space and I have no reverse thrusters! Help!

Solution> In most cases you should properly glance off and be fine, but if you get caught in a deep crevasse, you can exit to title and continue, the game will detect this situation and teleport you a little distance away.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Huh, is it just me or does that Destroyer-class ship (the orange star destroyer knockoff) add extra range to its broadsides? Previously in my Sturville I needed to close to 3.75 sm, but with the new ship I can shoot from 5 SM no problems.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.
Two valid upgrade paths:

Defenses>broadsides>hull>turrets (let turrets lag no more than 2 steps behind defenses.

That'll give you a steadily bigger, steadily slower, steadily more effective bruiser that can do most things. You'll still want null-grav boosters for if you encounter something that's just stronger than you are.

Defenses>mobility>cargo>broadsides>turrets.

Mobility being null-grav booster, engine, warp engine, some subsystems. Hull can stay the starter ship, or go to the barracuda. That'll let you do anything BUT fight, and you can run delivery missions forever, or at least until you want to jump into a minotaur or a dreadnaught with maxed out everything. (A barracuda with mk. 6 everything can fight anything but dreads quite well, and dreads are still doable... just slow. Your dps just doesn't outpace the shield regen by enough to do them quickly, and your defenses will just barely hold if you both employ that deflector absorber so their torps recharge your shields and you strip their turrets off first.)

Money depends on the kind of missions; the kind of missions depend on faction rank + tech level, I think.

Turrets are great, but they're not cost-effective, and it's both cheaper and more effective to, e.g., just add more Mk. 2 turrets than upgrade everything to Mk. 3.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

RangerKarl posted:

Huh, is it just me or does that Destroyer-class ship (the orange star destroyer knockoff) add extra range to its broadsides? Previously in my Sturville I needed to close to 3.75 sm, but with the new ship I can shoot from 5 SM no problems.

Bigger ships have longer range broadsides.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Alchenar posted:

GOG still don't have the hotfix :negative:

Might have to bug them on the Steam forum.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
A barracuda fitted with high end shields, engines, and null grav booster makes a fantastic money maker.

Any recommendations on what I should do when I want to turn it into a bruiser to slog my way through the actual mission? What ships do people like?

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
This really is a flawed gem, I'm personally loving it but I totally get why a lot of people can get soured on its structure during their time in the first system. I've never seen so many people call a game with this much depth "shallow", but it makes sense if you focus too much on the repetitive slow-moving low-payout side stuff at the beginning, which the game actively encourages you to do.

I also feel like it's a big missed opportunity making the Red Devil Cartel (i.e, the dullest of pirate forces) the only baddies you can side with, it's really lame that we can't befriend rad space Cthulhu people, sweet not-Kilrathi dudes or hella not-Salarians. I guess it's to balance it so you can't be neutral/friendly with everyone, but man, the rep rewards are already balanced in a way that'd make that kinda difficult, and if I end up being that good at playing the field then let me gdi. This is accentuated by the way the game teases you with them having their own rep bars and displayed rep numbers. At least give me a cat dude defector as a merc buddy so we can make the Wing Commander parallels even more apparent (p.s. there might already be a Murath buddy i don't know about cos I haven't been visiting many bars).

Also make it so that sieges on stations and war statuses can actually result in faction takeovers that we can aid in and get big ups from ok i'm sure that's totes easy to design and program and balance and not a nightmare for two people to layer on top of everything they've already done ok thanks

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I had a merc guild mission to rescue a named Militia supply ship that was under attack from a couple Militia heavy frigates and a few angry merchants. :iiam:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Since it doesn't have a thread: anyone done a trip report on Shallow Space?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Largepotato posted:

I had a merc guild mission to rescue a named Militia supply ship that was under attack from a couple Militia heavy frigates and a few angry merchants. :iiam:

It checks out though, there's defector militia missions. In those, when you pop the leader's ship the rest stand down/join your side.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Moartoast posted:

(p.s. there might already be a Murath buddy i don't know about cos I haven't been visiting many bars).

You can indeed get a not-Kilrathi wingman. I saw him start showing up in bars around the third/fourth system, with his "pro" (their term not mine) version showing up in the final system.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Aside from a couple of the ships, are there any benefits of becoming friendly with the Red Devils?

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Jimbot posted:

Aside from a couple of the ships, are there any benefits of becoming friendly with the Red Devils?

Just a selection of pirate missions that spawn merchants or traders for you to attack

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Jimbot posted:

There's a Cartel mission chain. Not sure if you still get it if you side with the militia when you're hunting Juster.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
What is the penalty when you die? Do you take a financial hit, or do you just lose your progress since the last save?

If your mercenary gets killed, you lose their hire fee, right? What if you fire a $16k merc so that you can hire a $35k merc; do your lose that $16k or does that merc just remain rehire-able later for no additional fee?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Copper Vein posted:

What is the penalty when you die? Do you take a financial hit, or do you just lose your progress since the last save?

If your mercenary gets killed, you lose their hire fee, right? What if you fire a $16k merc so that you can hire a $35k merc; do your lose that $16k or does that merc just remain rehire-able later for no additional fee?

Return to last save. So pop into a station every so often.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

When you pay a merc you lose the money, they stick around until they eject or you fire them to hire a new one, and you have to go rehire them if you want them back. More expensive mercs are always better.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Crimson Harvest posted:

It checks out though, there's defector militia missions. In those, when you pop the leader's ship the rest stand down/join your side.

That doesn't explain the merchants and the mission description mentioned nothing about defectors.

Copper Vein posted:

You lose the fee.

Alchenar posted:

Return to last save. So pop into a station every so often.

You can also save the game in space by using exit to title.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Largepotato posted:

You can also save the game in space by using exit to title.

I learned this the hard way when I got into an impossible space battle and thought I could just reload my save from the last station.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A barracuda fitted with high end shields, engines, and null grav booster makes a fantastic money maker.

Any recommendations on what I should do when I want to turn it into a bruiser to slog my way through the actual mission? What ships do people like?

The Merc guild Minotaur is super amazing and plenty of power to take down anything in the game handily once you toss high end gear on it. It's also something like half the price of the Blackgate dreadnaught.

The minotaur's frontal turret batteries have excellent firing arcs which makes it really hard to beat. Most of the dreads have awful turret arcs and suffer from turrets trying to shoot through your own ship. The sorcerer is especially bad for this, which sucks because I wanted to like it due to the rule of cool. (The Blackgate is great though).

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.
The turret arcs are a real issue for large ships. Small ships, you can usually get all of them to bear if you want that.

When you're installing them, you can rotate the ship and see where the selected turret is on your ship.

Of course, for large ships, you've got broadside batteries that go forever and one or two-shot most foes.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I just found the minotaur in a cartel space station, so you don't actually need to be a mercenary to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Moartoast posted:

This really is a flawed gem, I'm personally loving it but I totally get why a lot of people can get soured on its structure during their time in the first system. I've never seen so many people call a game with this much depth "shallow", but it makes sense if you focus too much on the repetitive slow-moving low-payout side stuff at the beginning, which the game actively encourages you to do.
I think the comparisons some people might be thinking of are X3 (where you can own fleets of ships & entire stations) or the Escape Velocity series (which had more interesting / dynamic factions and multiple storylines). I can see how some :spergin: types would call it shallow: it's not like this game has a huge amount of complexity to any of its systems. It has tactical depth, it's got some interesting event-based trading, and it has a storyline. It's not a super deep everything-simulator. Some people like complexity for complexity's sake, and some people just like to play a fun game and move on.

I wouldn't call Rebel Galaxy a flawed gem. To me that kinda implies that the flaws are large but the experience is amazing. The bad parts here are pretty minor -- you can get nitpicky about a bunch of stuff but none of it is terrible. On the other side it's just a basic good game, not a revelation.

I do think the progression structure is a bit busted. It almost feels like the game was paced much slower for the whole thing, but they figured out that the game doesn't hold up for that long. So they jacked up the mission rewards in the second system and after. It feels a bit uneven. The ramp to getting a better ship and a jump drive is very slow.

• Locked thread