Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BBJoey posted:

I believe the argument is property rights = good, other rights = bad, because gently caress you.

Other rights are simply expressions of property rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Other rights are simply expressions of property rights.

I think that if you refer back to the argument you'll actually find that gently caress you, therefore other rights are bad. (property rights are still good tho)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Negligent posted:

solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

don't sign your posts

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If only we had freehold title on our bodies.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
My life has been saved twice thanks to bike helmets when I was younger. Now, whether that is a good or a bad thing is up for debate, but it happened.

I see it as the same as making people wear a loving seatbelt.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Pickled Tink posted:

My life has been saved twice thanks to bike helmets when I was younger. Now, whether that is a good or a bad thing is up for debate, but it happened.

But don't you see Tink?

"Wah wah wah, the government makes something mildly inconvenient! I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO SO I SHOULDNT HAVE TO"

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
How about a compromise. If you're wearing a helmet the state will pay for your rehabilitation. If you neglect to wear one the state will curb stomp you into the earth, but only when you have an accident. Otherwise, you're all good.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Pickled Tink posted:

Who did you piss off with that post?

Like seriously, this is the most innocuous post "hey, bike helmets saved my life"

"OH YEAH? I'LL FUCKEN SHOW HIM"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

tithin posted:

Like seriously, this is the most innocuous post "hey, bike helmets saved my life"

Libertarians.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Pickled Tink posted:

It's a bit different. A person not wearing a seatbelt still presents a danger to other people who are wearing their seatbelts when they end up bouncing around the cabin. There's no increased risk to other people if you're not wearing a bike helmet. I've always been a bit uneasy with the idea of legislating the level of risk people are allowed to take with their own bodies. Of course people should wear bicycle helmets to be safe, but should it be illegal not to wear one? If there's no risk to the public I don't see why the government should be acting like a parent and trying to force them to be responsible if it's only their own safety they're neglecting. They're adults, they know the risks let them take it if they want.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I didn't realise it was still legal to smoke while pregnant. Not to bring up pregnancy chat, but what is the auspol hive minds view on this?

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Can anyone comment on whether banks could (or would) make margin calls on mortgagors in negative equity? Kind of like how it is done with Share trading with margin.

I swear I read recently that some laws were changed a couple years ago to prevent banks from doing exactly this with residential mortgages. I'm not sure if it was all residential mortgages, or just owner occupiers. I'll see if I can dig up the article.

Edit:
This isn't the exact article, but has the details:
http://australianpropertyforum.com/blog/entry/3174279/38440

Basically, with a regulated loan (which includes both owner-occupier and investor mortgages), a bank can't force you to sell your house, as long as you're making payments on time. So even if your in negative equity, you're fine as long as you keep paying.

Also, if you're ever bored, the forum at APF is a goldmine of all the worst things related to property, from both the bears and bulls. As far as I can tell, it's virtually unmoderated, with the exception of blatant racism being removed swiftly.

JBark fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 25, 2015

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Media advice for Peter Dutton:

http://dailyreview.com.au/qt-some-media-tips-for-peter-dutton/32019

(The password at the end should be immediately obvious to anyone in this thread.)

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

teacup posted:

I didn't realise it was still legal to smoke while pregnant. Not to bring up pregnancy chat, but what is the auspol hive minds view on this?

smoking is bad at all times

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

All of these people are now dead except for that one guy in the green helmet.

Seriously, if you're at all interested in reducing co2 emissions, getting polluting cars off the road, and making our cities better for pedestrians, we (Australians) should probably look to international examples of best practice rather than just talking poo poo out our asses.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Hey why don't we have mandatory car helmets?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I hurt my brain reading all these dumb posts, perhaps we should legislate for mandatory posting helmets.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
cyclists are arseholes, who cares

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

tithin posted:

To be fair, It was probably the almost ten months of constant first dog posting. Joke's on him though. I like it.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
it's an extremely good av

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Zahki posted:

It's a bit different. A person not wearing a seatbelt still presents a danger to other people who are wearing their seatbelts when they end up bouncing around the cabin. There's no increased risk to other people if you're not wearing a bike helmet. I've always been a bit uneasy with the idea of legislating the level of risk people are allowed to take with their own bodies. Of course people should wear bicycle helmets to be safe, but should it be illegal not to wear one? If there's no risk to the public I don't see why the government should be acting like a parent and trying to force them to be responsible if it's only their own safety they're neglecting. They're adults, they know the risks let them take it if they want.

People who suffer excessive trauma when they are involved in a collision expect the state to pick up the bill for their ongoing care and support. The danger is foreseeable, and helmets help mitigate it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mad Katter posted:

Because at some point convenience overrides safety.

Same reason you don't have a safety cell with full roll cage and 5 point harnesses.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Mad Katter posted:

A better parallel would be: Why don't we have mandatory motorcycle helme- waaaaait a minute

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mad Katter posted:

I hurt my brain reading all these dumb posts
Perhaps you should stop making them then.

Joe Hockey is warned against pension double dipping while in diplomat post

quote:

Joe Hockey has been warned against “double dipping” after it emerged that he could potentially access his generous parliamentary pension while getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars as a diplomat.

The former treasurer resigned from parliament last week after losing the job of treasurer when Malcolm Turnbull rolled Tony Abbott in September. He is widely tipped to become Australia’s next ambassador to the US, though no formal announcement has been made.

The independent senator for South Australia, Nick Xenophon, has said he will introduce legislation to stop former politicians who have been given a diplomatic post from accessing their pensions on top of their salaries.

“If the you’re going to be an ambassador earning a quarter of a million dollars a year representing Australia’s interests with all the benefits, why should you be able to double dip with a parliamentary pension as well?” Xenophon asked reporters on Sunday.

“It’s untenable, it’s offensive to ordinary Australians who can’t access that sort of benefit. If Joe Hockey reckons the age of entitlement is over, he can lead by example.”

His statement came after News Corp reported that Hockey could access his parliamentary pension and ambassador’s salary concurrently.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
tough day when the daily tele has turned on ol joe

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Media advice for Peter Dutton:

http://dailyreview.com.au/qt-some-media-tips-for-peter-dutton/32019

(The password at the end should be immediately obvious to anyone in this thread.)

Amazing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mad Katter posted:

All of these people are now dead except for that one guy in the green helmet.

Seriously, if you're at all interested in reducing co2 emissions, getting polluting cars off the road, and making our cities better for pedestrians, we (Australians) should probably look to international examples of best practice rather than just talking poo poo out our asses.

Or people can stop being huge whingers and wear a loving helmet and we can have a carbon tax. I cycle all the time. It's not loving hard to wear a helmet.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Did David Lionhelm just troll auspol by bringing up helmet laws?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I see helmets as more the symptom with lovely Australian drivers been the cause.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...6-1227581620193

It has taken a month but Andrew Bolt has now decided that Malcolm Turnbull is Chairman Mao and we need back Abbott.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
No hjelm but the leyonhjelm

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Cars who park in bike lanes should be fined.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Nibbles! posted:

I see helmets as more the symptom with lovely Australian drivers been the cause.

No, poor urban planning. A city planned for the safe coexistence of both modes of transport would make driving patterns irrelevant.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

how do you plan for people running red lights

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

traffic lights are fascism, full roundabouts now

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Like Brisbane is absolutely buggered when it comes to bike lanes. They are always on the far left hand side of the road and that's perfectly fine except they let cars park in them so what would otherwise be a perfectly safe lane to ride becomes a car park and your basically always pushed into the centre lane where a Jeep is always waiting to almost kill you.

Why make a lane for bikes if you let cars in them you idiot city.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lid posted:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...6-1227581620193

It has taken a month but Andrew Bolt has now decided that Malcolm Turnbull is Chairman Mao and we need back Abbott.

It's behind a pay wall, but don't bother posting it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Turns out Kerr and Fraser were lying sacks of poo poo after all, colour me shocked. Also the queen was neck deep in a coup against a democratically elected government.

http://m.theage.com.au/federal-poli...023-gkhb1a.html

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
I did a poo in the shape of a stackhat this morning. I blame the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank

KennyTheFish posted:

People who suffer excessive trauma when they are involved in a collision expect the state to pick up the bill for their ongoing care and support. The danger is foreseeable, and helmets help mitigate it.

I think the idea is that the overall benefit (reduced CO2 emissions, general health benefits) of getting more people to cycle outweighs the cost of care from increased numbers of TBIs from cycling accidents.

People really should just wear helmets though. I don't understand why some people lack self-preservation awareness. I commute 20 km a day via bike and I have crashed at speed - luckily my knee took the brunt of the fall and my helmet was unscathed, but still it's scary. I was laughed at by a friend when I went skiing for the first time and I wore a helmet, "You don't need a helmet, it's snow". The helmet more than paid for itself when on my third stack I hit my head hard enough to make me want to sit down for half an hour to stop my head spinning.

• Locked thread