Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
On the Gaulem thing, I think it's Luna. Everyone else (except Quark) has been killed by stabbing or another action to show blood. Luna has only been killed by injection (on screen visibly at least) Which I don't believe left any traces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

My theory on why Clover's young and Tenmyouji's old is that he jumped back in time to get in the game. He did make a deal with Zero after all. I think there's an outside chance that Quark is actually his son, or a clone of his son maybe.

Option 2 is that this Clover is actually a Gaulem, and is not the original Clover. Alice can always be eternally young.

If Clover's been shown bloodied, then maybe not that one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Actually thinking back on it, Luna was in the room with us when we discovered that someone was a Gaulem, her and Alice. Alice we've seen bleeding and has a backstory stretching back to before the Nonary game.

I mean... It could be Sigma, in which case, Sigma doesn't know he's a Gaulem, also it means that Gaulems can be subjected to the effects of Radical-Six, or he's programmed to fake it. Also that he can jump through time like an esper despite being a machine.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But who ever heard of a ghost in a machine?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

But who ever heard of a ghost in a machine?

♫ Bokura wa minna ikiteiru~

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

Hasn't Sigma seen all the players murdered at some point, or am I forgetting someone? Then I don't exactly think blood can be used as evidence or not. Because if this is the case, then only Sigma could be a robot (which is plausible, if a bit cliche).

Looking back at Clover's ending, everyone that we didn't see dead and bloody in the first route committed suicide with a scalpel here, including Luna:

So if bloody deaths discount GAULEMs, Luna should be too, I guess? There's also Sigma's narration (while contracting Radical 6, so probably not in the best state of mind) to consider vs the illustration:

Fedule posted:

In the middle of the lake of blood, like an island of flesh, were bodies.

They were a bloody tangle of lifeless limbs and dead eyes, with too much blood and chaos for me to tell who was who.

Had they sliced themselves open? Or stabbed one another? I couldn't tell. All the blood...too much blood...
Whatever they'd done, it was clear what tool they'd used to do it.

So potentially it's a GAULEM!Luna deactivated on top of someone else's blood or something, and Sigma didn't check if she was bleeding specifically? Which is harder to swallow than, y'know, Luna just committing suicide because of Radical 6, because everyone else was doing it. :shrug:

I mean I don't think we saw Quark bleeding and dead so it could potentially be him...? If we're doing the GAULEM = no blood argument?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I didn't have any trouble with the controls of the bonus puzzle when I did it about an hour ago but it probably took me a solid half an hour to figure out. Real bastard of a puzzle, that one.

Also echoing this

suddenly cats posted:

Yessss I've been waiting for this update.

Also--

Fedule posted:

What are you going to shoot it with, then?

With...mind bullets...

It's called "telekinesis," Sigma.

:allears: This was one of my favorite references they threw into the localization.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

BlackPersona posted:

Looking back at Clover's ending, everyone that we didn't see dead and bloody in the first route committed suicide with a scalpel here, including Luna:

So if bloody deaths discount GAULEMs, Luna should be too, I guess? There's also Sigma's narration (while contracting Radical 6, so probably not in the best state of mind) to consider vs the illustration:

So potentially it's a GAULEM!Luna deactivated on top of someone else's blood or something, and Sigma didn't check if she was bleeding specifically? Which is harder to swallow than, y'know, Luna just committing suicide because of Radical 6, because everyone else was doing it. :shrug:

I mean I don't think we saw Quark bleeding and dead so it could potentially be him...? If we're doing the GAULEM = no blood argument?

However Quark is discounted because we know he's a carrier of Radical-6. I doubt a robot can contract a disease.

But we are back at square one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The parallelogram is the only thing in this game I just looked up a guide for. What a dumb puzzle.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

The parallelogram is the only thing in this game I just looked up a guide for. What a dumb puzzle.

i worked on that thing for like a half-hour before giving up, i'm really bad at spatial recognition i guess

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
anyway, my fav thing about this room is that I picked up VLR without knowing about 999 (a friend told me it was a cool puzzle game so I didn't pay attention to the whole sequel thing) so the Akane reveal totally didn't register as important to me

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Seriously that puzzle can go gently caress itself. It's probably the puzzle that aggravated me most in the entire game. It's so incredibly fiddly, too.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Puzzles requiring precise placement of shapes should not exist without some sort of snap feature that moves them automatically either to the boundaries of other nearby shapes or to predetermined locations/orientations. Requiring near-pixel-perfect placement and not giving a guide for it raises the difficulty in a bad way and to no additional testing of the player's reasoning capability.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Nidoking posted:

Puzzles requiring precise placement of shapes should not exist without some sort of snap feature that moves them automatically either to the boundaries of other nearby shapes or to predetermined locations/orientations. Requiring near-pixel-perfect placement and not giving a guide for it raises the difficulty in a bad way and to no additional testing of the player's reasoning capability.

There's also the part where the ends have to be pointing in the right direction, otherwise gently caress you. That poo poo tripped me up for a solid half hour trying to figure out what the hell I was doing wrong.

Materant fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 25, 2015

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Onmi posted:

However Quark is discounted because we know he's a carrier of Radical-6. I doubt a robot can contract a disease.

But we are back at square one.

What if it's actually a computer virus?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

What if it's actually a computer virus?

Then why did everyone join a suicide party in Clovers ending?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Onmi posted:

Then why did everyone join a suicide party in Clovers ending?

I'm only half joking when I theorize that every single character is secretly a robot.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Fedule posted:

Yeah.
If there was another esper here, they could make me stronger, but that's just wishful thinking.
Wait...

What?

Maybe...

No, never mind. That's probably not it.

I'm curious about this, now. At the time, I presumed it to mean Sigma was absorbing the powers, but I think it's pretty clear that's not the case considering that both Sigma and Phi are capable of doing this jumpy thing without necessarily inhibiting each other. Is Tenmyouji facilitating the entirety of this, or do we have something quite unrelated to the morphogenic field this time?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So my question is this. Is Junpei Zero Sr? I mean he would be aware of the mechanics of the Nonary game.

Secondary question: Is Zero Sr. A separate person from the Gaulem? I expect this to get to its most confusing so I'll say yes.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
As I've said in this thread before, I think Luna is the robot. She's the only one who seems to pick the same thing every time in the voting, whereas everyone else seems to change their mind in accordance with the morphogenic field.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

a cat on an apple posted:

I'm curious about this, now. At the time, I presumed it to mean Sigma was absorbing the powers, but I think it's pretty clear that's not the case considering that both Sigma and Phi are capable of doing this jumpy thing without necessarily inhibiting each other. Is Tenmyouji facilitating the entirety of this, or do we have something quite unrelated to the morphogenic field this time?

I always figured Junpei connecting to child Akane was just a gigantic fluke borne from Akane's desperation and that Junpei otherwise never had any special morphogenic field powers of his own. Although I guess if he was really committed to finding Akane all those years he could have tried to develop something.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So the question is: how far into the future are we?

If Tenmyouji really is Junpei, and the old woman was Akane, then that would imply that 1. Alice and Clover were two of the pod people, since they're the only other returnees from 999. and 2. It must have been a good 40-60+ years since 999. It would make sense for Sigma to be the third pod person.

In addition, there's no way that radical-6 would be a tight-lipped secret then. K has amnesia, and Dio's a scumbag. Tenmyouji has probably kept us in the dark all this while about it being the future for some reason. So that leaves Phi and Luna as two people who should know of radical-6's existence. Even Quark should have some knowledge of it, but he's been knocked out every time up til now. I don't think he's even heard about radical-6 in the game yet.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

David Corbett posted:

As I've said in this thread before, I think Luna is the robot. She's the only one who seems to pick the same thing every time in the voting, whereas everyone else seems to change their mind in accordance with the morphogenic field.

That doesn't make her a robot, it makes her just nice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Super Jay Mann posted:

I always figured Junpei connecting to child Akane was just a gigantic fluke borne from Akane's desperation and that Junpei otherwise never had any special morphogenic field powers of his own. Although I guess if he was really committed to finding Akane all those years he could have tried to develop something.

Isn't Junpei a morphogenetic receiver?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

So the question is: how far into the future are we?

If Tenmyouji really is Junpei, and the old woman was Akane, then that would imply that 1. Alice and Clover were two of the pod people, since they're the only other returnees from 999. and 2. It must have been a good 40-60+ years since 999. It would make sense for Sigma to be the third pod person.

In addition, there's no way that radical-6 would be a tight-lipped secret then. K has amnesia, and Dio's a scumbag. Tenmyouji has probably kept us in the dark all this while about it being the future for some reason. So that leaves Phi and Luna as two people who should know of radical-6's existence. Even Quark should have some knowledge of it, but he's been knocked out every time up til now. I don't think he's even heard about radical-6 in the game yet.

If I remember correctly, Luna's actual job is still up in the air (she has medical training but is not actually a doctor or nurse?) so she may have some incentive to play naive about the whole thing, but that's just a guess. Phi is still as much of a mystery as she was at the start of the game.

Incidentally, if this really is far into the future, my "Phi is Sigma's daughter(granddaughter?) from the future" crackpot theory is still in play!

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

If I remember correctly, Luna's actual job is still up in the air (she has medical training but is not actually a doctor or nurse?)

Medical physicist is my guess.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Isn't Junpei a morphogenetic receiver?

Receiver and transmitter; he could both receive from and send to Past Akane.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I know 999 didn't have outdated tech, but did they call out a specific year for its setting? Maybe it happened in an alternate 60s and Junpei is naturally this old in the 2020s. Clover and Alice would be pod due to the age difference (assuming each are human non-clones), but not necessarily siggy

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

I know 999 didn't have outdated tech, but did they call out a specific year for its setting? Maybe it happened in an alternate 60s and Junpei is naturally this old in the 2020s. Clover and Alice would be pod due to the age difference (assuming each are human non-clones), but not necessarily siggy

999 takes place in 2027, this game ostensibly takes place in 2028 but that's looking less and less likely given what we've seen.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I still think K is the Gaulem. Hiding the robot guy under the robot suit would be quite the double-bluff. Also he has part of his memory missing, right? It's easier to wipe memory on a machine than a person.

Yes that's my entire justification.

Anyway, nothing says that someone looking to make a robot that can imitate a person so perfectly that you'd never be able to tell wouldn't also make that robot bleed when cut. It'd be a pretty lame infiltrator otherwise.

edit:

God dammit Tenmyouji Junpei. Clover didn't tell you anything about Ice-9 and Alice at all.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 25, 2015

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I still think K is the Gaulem. Hiding the robot guy under the robot suit would be quite the double-bluff. Also he has part of his memory missing, right? It's easier to wipe memory on a machine than a person.

Yes that's my entire justification.

Anyway, nothing says that someone looking to make a robot that can imitate a person so perfectly that you'd never be able to tell wouldn't also make that robot bleed when cut. It'd be a pretty lame infiltrator otherwise.

edit:

God dammit Tenmyouji Junpei. Clover didn't tell you anything about Ice-9 and Alice at all.

I love how, sixty years later, he's still utterly convinced that nonsense is true.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Materant posted:

There's also the part where the ends have to be pointing in the right direction, otherwise gently caress you. That poo poo tripped me up for a solid half hour trying to figure out what the hell I was doing wrong.

Seconding this. I've played with tangrams before, so making a parallelogram was challenging, but not the part that got me stuck.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

I love how, sixty years later, he's still utterly convinced that nonsense is true.

He could just be messing with her.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

whitehelm posted:

He could just be messing with her.

Could also be his way of letting Clover know who he is, after all, the Ice-9 thing was shared knowledge in the last Nonary game. By revealing that he reveals that he has knowledge of the events without also spelling out "I have knowledge of the events."

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
Everyone's jumping on the 'Junpei is Tenmyouji' train, but remember there was another character in 999 who carried around a photo of Akane, had white spiky hair, and would obviously understandably claim to Quark "No, not my first love".

Maybe it's a bluff. Or a double bluff. Or a triple bluff. Or maybe he's neither of them, he's someone else entirely, and you're all being Uchikoshi'd.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Blinus posted:

Everyone's jumping on the 'Junpei is Tenmyouji' train, but remember there was another character in 999 who carried around a photo of Akane, had white spiky hair, and would obviously understandably claim to Quark "No, not my first love".

Maybe it's a bluff. Or a double bluff. Or a triple bluff. Or maybe he's neither of them, he's someone else entirely, and you're all being Uchikoshi'd.

Actually, Junpei IS Santa.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

You're just saying that because he's old, has white hair, and has somewhat ill-defined relationships with young children. That's ageism!

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

Bruceski posted:

Actually, Junpei IS Santa.

And now someone has to do a Tenmyouji version of this image:

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Blinus posted:

Clover mentioned previously that her esper powers haven't appeared to be working, mentioning the possibility that there is a stronger esper absorbing her powers. The explanation that seems most plausible to me, with our current information, is some combination of a) We are significantly in the future (synced up exactly to another eclipse?), thus Clover has no receiver, b) there is a stronger esper, probably Tenmyouji, or c) we don't have enough information to even come close to guessing. I doubt Sigma or Phi could be absorbing Clover's powers because they don't seem to absorb each other's powers.

Given the above information, if Tenmyouji is someone from 999, it seems most likely to be Junpei. However, I'm somewhat skeptical of the Tenmyouji = Junpei theory, primarily because of Junpei being related to the Mars test mission seems somewhat out of character to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Clover failing to get Snake on the line makes sense if we're as far into the future as the Tenmyouji = Junpei theory suggests - Snake's not only much older, but radical-6 has had time to do its work. There's a very real possibility everyone else from the 999 cast is dead.

• Locked thread