Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Aurain I guess I shouldn't call you that anymore is out there blowing up somebody's anon inbox

Bad Seafood posted:

With the exception of Part 6, I've never really had that much difficulty following Araki's action sequences.

Obviously there are people who do, but I'm not sure I understand how?

EDIT: Then again I guess I do reread the manga a lot so I may not be the most impartial judge.

I really can't explain why I have trouble, I just have a broken brain. Like I've said, the color versions made a big difference for me with action sequences.

But yeah, re-reading helps it a lot, too. I just re-read the Sheer Heart Attack stuff in color last week and picked up on a few things I'd kinda missed/overlooked before. I'm a big speedreader with regular books and I guess I never totally learned to switch that around with comics/manga, because reading fast really does you no favors with JoJo.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm glad that this part 4 MAD was preserved someplace with audio intact

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2disa0_jojo-part-4-mad-diamond-is-not-crash_tv
Whoa

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Probably the biggest thing I ever missed and ended up confused about was in steel ball run when hot pants dies and I just didn't realize that was what had happened lmao

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It didn't even realize what had happened, and I just assumed they had disappeared from the plot.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
lol

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
"Oh wow like 150 new posts, were people really that freaked out by that Jojolion chapt-"

:stare:

praise DIO

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Neo_Crimson posted:

"Oh wow like 150 new posts, were people really that freaked out by that Jojolion chapt-"

:stare:

praise DIO

Make no mistake, that jojolion chapter was horrific. It seriously gave me a nightmare

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Of getting liqufied and turning into possibly-alive wallpaper ghosts, or dating that thumb guy?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm just... did I just witness a man die? how did the sink get rammed into his back, how come the tap turned on. What.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Actually, Otherside seems to really suit for some reason.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hmmm

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

chaos rhames posted:

Of getting liqufied and turning into possibly-alive wallpaper ghosts, or dating that thumb guy?

Wait - what exactly ARE the wallpaper ghosts? Are they just super-thin layers of persons being liquified, which get shaved off whenever they touch something? Or are they the actual Stand and touching them triggers the liquification? They can definitely move around, given how they're even up on the ceiling and whatnot... I guess we'll see. In any case, I thought it was great to see the contrast between the big horrfiying panel with all the hands creeping in, and neckless balding creep Damo in front of it. I love that guy already.

Didn't have much trouble following the chapter, really. There's a lot worse (I think the one where I was by far the most confused was the piss-drinking dude from Part 6). I just had to re-read it all the time because it had the most WHAT THE gently caress panels of this entire part, probably. I love it.

I also like how Araki has almost stopped giving explanations mid-battle. They Stands are usually introduced with various examples, where you can figure out yourself what it does, and there's at best a couple throwaway comments on it later. Or the characters are actively trying to figure it out themselves and we follow their thoughts, since fighting a Stand is usually 90% understanding what the gently caress is going on... I like that much more than the old cliched shonen way: "This is my name, this is my character trait, and now that I've blocked your super move here's the explanation of how my powers work". JoJo diverted from that all the time, given how it's awesome puzzle battles, but I like that there's even less explanations now. So far, I think it's worked very well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Gotta admit, after SBR's world-class roster of bad guys, I haven't really been feeling too many of the antagonists in Part 8.

Damo's great though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yotsuyu wasn't really much, I don't even remember the user of Fun! Fun! Fun!'s name (Ojirou Sasame) or what the stand looks like. The twins died too quickly and Kyo Nijimura's not really a bad guy.

I like Dainenjiyama though, Damo's pretty cool too and Jobin's shaping up interesting as well. I'm totally aching to find out Speed King's true power.

The villain ensemble as a whole has been considerably weaker than SBR for sure though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jobin's great but I'm still not convinced he's really a bad guy.

I like all the Higashitakas, really (including Nijimura in that group); even Joshuu though he's a petty snot. They're all engaging, entertaining characters. Most of the dudes outside the Higashikata family compound though, not so much.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The EoH tournament teams.

In universe, Josuke and Johnny would play extremely well off of each other.
Jolyne + Gyro would be a really interesting pair to interact character wise as well and the random matching up of Kars and Pet Shop is interesting gameplay wise.

That's Diego with The World paired with Part 4 Jotaro too, so it's a 2x Time Stop team.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Josuke Higashikata posted:

DIO and Jonathan

Boy I sure hope that Jonathan notices what's, uh, different.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Iggy and Avdol, Wham and N'Doul, Giorno and Mista. I'm not particularly good at coming up with "funny team names," but drat there's a lot of potential here.

I thought the same thing about Josuke and Johnny though. Infinite getting-kicked-by-a-horse finishers, no drawbacks.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

BaDandy posted:

Boy I sure hope that Jonathan notices what's, uh, different.

Don't those two have a unique battle intro in ASB?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ChaosArgate posted:

Don't those two have a unique battle intro in ASB?

Yes. Outro, too.

He's the only non-Part I character that Jonathan has something to say to.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
All of those teams are incredible and I can't even tell you which is my favorite. Funny to see Avdol/Iggy and Giorno/Mista though.

Also jesus christ I never realized Gio rhymes with Dio :downsgun:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Naerasa posted:

Also jesus christ I never realized Gio rhymes with Dio :downsgun:

Not only does it rhyme with Dio, it's phonetically similar to Jo that GioGio sounds like JoJo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Cars + Petshop is the best.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bad Seafood posted:

Petshop is the best.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I want Kars' reaction to teaming up with Petshop to be nothing short of unrestrained delight.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Pros for All-Star:
-ACTUALLY, it's Good
-It was in the Digimon Movie before Shrek
-I guess that's not really a pro but i think it is important that people know the truth
-goes with the episode where Koichi's stand appears as an egg

Cons:
--I think the record label isn't owned by Warner Bros. in Japan so it's probably a no-go
-

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

-It was in the Digimon Movie before Shrek

Digimon the Movie was pretty bad, though. Like REALLY bad.

And I say that as someone who enjoys Digimon.

Condensing three movies into one didn't do it any favors either.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Digimon the Movie owned, gently caress off.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Respect proto-Summer Wars.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Yeah, the first half of Digimon the Movie owns pretty hard.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah and the second half was rad too

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I found the ideal song for Part 4's ED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwZNL7QVJjE

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here, I've resolved the argument now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us8OhI-OTHg

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I just finished the first Dio/JoJo fight, in the burning mansion.

Does the art style get clearer in the future? A lot of the panels, I was struggling to even see what's going on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ye

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Josuke and Okuyasu Find a Body, Chapter One

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The hardcover version of Battle Tendency vol 2 (pre-order) is $9.99 today only, I think, on Barnes & Noble. Seems like a good time to capitalise if it's something you're actively buying.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/jojos-bizarre-adventure-hirohiko-araki/1122222743?ean=9781421578835

Quoting this for here too because it's fairly time sensitive.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I just finished the first Dio/JoJo fight, in the burning mansion.

Does the art style get clearer in the future? A lot of the panels, I was struggling to even see what's going on.

The art def gets cleaner but personally Ive always had a tough time reading jojo; i love it but it always seems slightly incomprehensible to me, which is exacerbated by the sometimes effed scans of certain parts.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I don't like being too weird about minor detail spoilers but I think now is the time when I can mention that I came across spoilers saying that rohan and okuyasu died, and nothing else with them, and wow that really impacted my read.

I knew the oku 'death' was coming (and you sort of get primed to expect that with sidekicks) and was still so furious that I had to take a break from reading. Like "what's the point of a healing stand then, you fuckers!!"

Welp,

I knew everything with every part after that going in and it didn't really make a difference.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Edit: phone post video troubles

Actual content: I kind of want this for the ED for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sfu5QtTQzU

Robviously fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
I am so on board for some kind of cheesy 90s pop ED.

Does anyone know if there's a not-shady Canadian retailer offering such a good BT vol. 2 discount? I have it preordered on (Canadian) Amazon already, but it's listed at around $20 there. Usually currency conversion and shipping rates eat up whatever discounts I might get from buying from an American site.

I'm glad we're taking the mega-spoiler discussion to the other thread so that I can say I had the "everybody dies, whoops, now there's a new universe" ending of Stone Ocean spoiled for me, and nope, it didn't make a difference to my lukewarm feelings about that arc. But I somehow managed to completely avoid finding out about the Okuyasu and Rohan "death" scenes before reading them, and I think I must have said "oh nooooooo" out loud at both of those. I saw at least one of the deaths coming, considering the series's bad case of sidekick death syndrome, but I was still so horrified that I kept reading in the hope that it was a big fakeout. (Whew.)