Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

Upgrades add an extra charge to your monthly bill, there's no way around it.

Ahh, hence the SERO...I thought the upgrade pricing might be better somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LorneReams posted:

Is this because of the plan pricing, or the upgrades? I ask because I've upgraded every two years and haven't had to pay more than $50 dollars for a phone since the Iphone 4. In fact, the 5s to 6s is going to cost me $30. The leasing seems like a huge loving ripoff.

It's because of the plan pricing. With Sprint, I paid about $22 per month more with upgrade-eligible plans.

Let's say you use your upgrade on an LG G4 (don't do this)

The phone costs $629 brand new, retail. You pay $199 to upgrade. You then pay $528 over the life of the contract. You just bought a $629 phone for $728. Congratulations!

The leasing is definitely a ripoff, but at least it's a transparent ripoff. The upgrade cycle purposefully hides the cost of the phone so that you pay absurd amounts of money. The smartest thing to do is just buy last year's phone outright when it goes on sale, and sell your old one. And never, ever, ever buy a phone from a carrier.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, I've been on SERO for so long, that I have no idea what a plan is supposed to cost.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Anyone know at what point sprint decides that you are a data hog and pushes you off the unlimited plan? I'm regularly at about 18-20/mo but might use more with baseball playoffs and then football and basketball underway.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

otter posted:

Anyone know at what point sprint decides that you are a data hog and pushes you off the unlimited plan? I'm regularly at about 18-20/mo but might use more with baseball playoffs and then football and basketball underway.

23 gigabytes is now the point where they start throttling you if they feel like it.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/protecting-the-97.htm

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

LorneReams posted:

The leasing seems like a huge loving ripoff.
When I was pricing out a new phone, the lease price was the exact same as doing 2 years worth of installments. It literally makes no sense. Monthly payments were also ~$150 cheaper than buying the phone outright. No idea why I was eligible for a financing upgrade when I recently renewed my contract with a $200 upgrade, but whatever. SERO life.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's because of the plan pricing. With Sprint, I paid about $22 per month more with upgrade-eligible plans.

Let's say you use your upgrade on an LG G4 (don't do this)

The phone costs $629 brand new, retail. You pay $199 to upgrade. You then pay $528 over the life of the contract. You just bought a $629 phone for $728. Congratulations!

The leasing is definitely a ripoff, but at least it's a transparent ripoff. The upgrade cycle purposefully hides the cost of the phone so that you pay absurd amounts of money. The smartest thing to do is just buy last year's phone outright when it goes on sale, and sell your old one. And never, ever, ever buy a phone from a carrier.

What are you talking about? Old school plans don't get cheaper just because you don't use your subsidy on a new phone. I could get off of my old EPRP plan, but I"m not sure I want to give up unlimited data. Or more accurately, if I'm willing to give up the unlimited data I might as well just leave Sprint entirely.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

nimper posted:

23 gigabytes is now the point where they start throttling you if they feel like it.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/protecting-the-97.htm

I read that as such that if I upgrade I get pushed into that or if I didn't already have unlimited and signed up for it. So since I switched to sprint in February I should be good?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

otter posted:

I read that as such that if I upgrade I get pushed into that or if I didn't already have unlimited and signed up for it. So since I switched to sprint in February I should be good?

Yeah I think you're right.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Q_res posted:

What are you talking about? Old school plans don't get cheaper just because you don't use your subsidy on a new phone. I could get off of my old EPRP plan, but I"m not sure I want to give up unlimited data. Or more accurately, if I'm willing to give up the unlimited data I might as well just leave Sprint entirely.

No, they don't get cheaper. Which is why they're ripoffs. Especially if you don't upgrade the second you're eligible and keep the cycle going.

The new plans are cheaper because they don't give you phone subsidies, and are therefore much better deals. Unless you live in a place where you need unlimited data because your home internet is slow or nonexistent, you are screwing yourself by staying on an upgrade-eligible plan.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No, they don't get cheaper. Which is why they're ripoffs. Especially if you don't upgrade the second you're eligible and keep the cycle going.

The new plans are cheaper because they don't give you phone subsidies, and are therefore much better deals. Unless you live in a place where you need unlimited data because your home internet is slow or nonexistent, you are screwing yourself by staying on an upgrade-eligible plan.

I'm only staying on my old plan because my employee discount still works the way it should. On a new plan, it doesn't take as much money off each month and I'd end up paying more.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'm only staying on my old plan because my employee discount still works the way it should. On a new plan, it doesn't take as much money off each month and I'd end up paying more.

Well right, this obviously doesn't apply to SERO, EPRP or the better employee discounts. If I hadn't switched jobs and lost my substantial employee discount, I probably wouldn't be switching. Although if you aren't on one of those plans why on earth are you still with Sprint?

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I've got a weird question. I'm currently on my sister's unlimited data plan that she got many moons ago and I'm interested in getting out of it and trying out Project FI (and taking my number with me). Would that prevent her from keeping her old data plan?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
As soon as I lose my employee plan I'm jumping ship to tmo.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Grumpwagon posted:

I have an LG G2 that has a band of the touchscreen that no longer responds to touch. I do not have insurance, and I have had it for longer than a year, so it is out of manufacturer warranty. I considered replacing the screen myself (I've previously replaced the charging port). However, the part is $45 on eBay, and it is a very complicated repair. I figured I'd pay Sprint the $75 no insurance repair fee and be good.

I took it to a repair center. The employee who works there all the time said they'd have to order me a part and that it would be $75. I was just called by a different employee who was filling in for the normal guy. He said that since it is a known issue with G2s, it would be free.

I'm expecting the normal guy to be there when I go to pick it up, and I'd expect him to charge $75. I'm totally fine paying it if that's Sprint's policy, but is there any truth to the "known issue = free" thing? I know that there used to be (I got a touch pro 2 replaced that way), but lots has changed since then.

Is the new guy just wrong? Or is it only during the warranty period or something?

Thanks!

Grumpwagon posted:

Second bill, still no charge. I'm going to consider this case closed.
Well, I'm having the same problems with my G2. Time to roll the dice and see if lightning strikes twice.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
I spent a little while on chat today trying to fix some LTE issues that affect both the s6 and tablet I have. Didn't work, but the rep offered me a $25 credit. Sprint is still my favorite, you mutineers.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

hrolfr posted:

I spent a little while on chat today trying to fix some LTE issues that affect both the s6 and tablet I have. Didn't work, but the rep offered me a $25 credit. Sprint is still my favorite, you mutineers.

Pushing people off unlimited plans or on to lease/layaway is going to get me to switch over to something else when my contract is up. I would also strongly consider project fi since I'd be coming in at around 50 bucks a month with my current average mobile data use. For the same network + t mobile coverage. If I'm going to have to either lease or front the phone anyway, keeping me is going to be a hard sell.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

FlyingCheese posted:

I switched to T-Mobile about 10 months ago and have seen far better coverage AND speeds.

I'm thinking about joining project Fi.... Apparently it uses the best network available from T mobile or Sprint... It's cheaper than my plan.. It's cheaper than any T-mobile plan.. and it works with the new phone I'm getting.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Darkpriest667 posted:

I'm thinking about joining project Fi.... Apparently it uses the best network available from T mobile or Sprint... It's cheaper than my plan.. It's cheaper than any T-mobile plan.. and it works with the new phone I'm getting.

Interesting. I requested an invite. If anything I'll use it on my iPad for data.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Project Fi is Nexus-only (and only the 6-and-newer ones). If it worked for iOS I'd put my wife on it.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Ok, I burn about 6-8 GB of data a month on a SERO plan. If I used WiFi at home, then probably 4-6 GB only. I'm guessing that Project Fi is probably not worth it for me then?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Project Fi is Nexus-only (and only the 6-and-newer ones). If it worked for iOS I'd put my wife on it.

I was thinking the same thing. I can't see myself being happy moving off of iOS at this point, but the idea of the service sounds good. I saw a video on youtube where someone put the Fi SIM card in an iPhone and it joined t-mobile, but they would get weird random data txt messages (maybe what it uses to communicate and talk back to the google services), and you don't have the app available to install of course. Other videos I saw were android devices where they got the app on and it seemed to work for them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

IOwnCalculus posted:

ah drat, saw bring your own device and didn't read any further, whoops

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

thisdude23 posted:

Ok, I burn about 6-8 GB of data a month on a SERO plan. If I used WiFi at home, then probably 4-6 GB only. I'm guessing that Project Fi is probably not worth it for me then?

No and I made a thread about it to give people some information.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747918

It's basically for people that use less than 4GB of data a month. I'm on wifi so much it's not a problem for me.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm not sure exactly which thread is the best to post this in, but since I've only encountered the problem with this specific phone, I figured I'd start here.

I've noticed a problem recently with my Note 5 when I have a headset plugged in that the Mute button (in the Phone app) does not always (ever?) work. Despite showing muted, people complain that they're picking up background noise that I've narrowed down to coming from me.

Has anybody ever encountered this problem before, and if so, any suggestions on what I can do?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The display on my HTC One M8 gave out last week. It's just black. Phone works fine, I just can't see anything.

I have the Nexus 6P on order. It's 3-4 weeks out.

I activated my old HTC EVO 4G LTE in the meantime. Apparently it also has a bad display, the left 1/3 of the display is black (though the touchscreen works fine). I can eventually rotate the screen enough to read things, but it's a huge pain in the rear end.

I own a business and send/receive approximately three million e-mails a day. It might kill me to do this for 3-4 weeks.

Can I rent a phone in the interim? Anybody have any suggestions?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Buy something on CL and sell it when you're done?

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

IOwnCalculus posted:

Buy something on CL and sell it when you're done?

Or try Swappa.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

photomikey posted:

The display on my HTC One M8 gave out last week. It's just black. Phone works fine, I just can't see anything.

I have the Nexus 6P on order. It's 3-4 weeks out.

I activated my old HTC EVO 4G LTE in the meantime. Apparently it also has a bad display, the left 1/3 of the display is black (though the touchscreen works fine). I can eventually rotate the screen enough to read things, but it's a huge pain in the rear end.

I own a business and send/receive approximately three million e-mails a day. It might kill me to do this for 3-4 weeks.

Can I rent a phone in the interim? Anybody have any suggestions?

This is random but who knows. Samsung is doing a 3 week trial in their stores, of which there's only five cities I guess?

You go there, pick a carrier and they give you a gs6 for 3 weeks after putting a hold for 350 on your card. It's the 16 gig model. Obviously if something happens to it congrats you just bought it. They also eat any data fees while you have it, so I went verizon to see how much better it is. A lot, was the answer there. I think if I went sprint I coulda just popped my sprint sim into it with no issues.

It totally saved me from having to switch back to an m7 while my gs6 was out for RMA with samsung, but I live in NYC where the only actual flagship store exists so you might be outta luck if you're not in one of the 5 cities they have a store that can do this. I did it in june of this year so as far as I know it's still a thing.

They are also doing a 30 day rental program if you sign up for it from an iphone and send them a dollar, which is kind of hilarious. I don't know anything else about that, but maybe you can make that one work.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I really want a Moto X Pure, and I stopped by the Sprint store to talk to them and see if there would be any problems. They strongly discouraged me from bringing in an unlocked phone, saying it would take up to a week to activate, I would only get 3G, my network speed would be limited, and there was no guarantee it would work correctly. This sounds like bullshit to me, but I don't know enough about it to call BS for sure. Is this just shady salespeople, or is it true? Does anyone know? Because I really don't like any of the phones for offer from Sprint right now, but I'm kinda locked in for two years because the other person on my account just signed up, and I don't want to screw her over with a higher bill if I take my phone off.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Luminous Cow posted:

I really want a Moto X Pure, and I stopped by the Sprint store to talk to them and see if there would be any problems. They strongly discouraged me from bringing in an unlocked phone, saying it would take up to a week to activate, I would only get 3G, my network speed would be limited, and there was no guarantee it would work correctly. This sounds like bullshit to me, but I don't know enough about it to call BS for sure. Is this just shady salespeople, or is it true? Does anyone know? Because I really don't like any of the phones for offer from Sprint right now, but I'm kinda locked in for two years because the other person on my account just signed up, and I don't want to screw her over with a higher bill if I take my phone off.

From my very brief research, it seems that the wait to activate might be true, because the IMEI is probably not in their system. The rest is obviously bullshit though. Just never go into a Sprint store, period. Use Sprint Chat or call them.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

From my very brief research, it seems that the wait to activate might be true, because the IMEI is probably not in their system. The rest is obviously bullshit though. Just never go into a Sprint store, period. Use Sprint Chat or call them.

I had no idea I could just do this over the website. This changes everything. I've known for a while that store was shady, but I thought I had no choice. I'm totally getting the phone I want now.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Luminous Cow posted:

While I don't know about the antennas or band support for the Motorola X Pure, I just got a Nexus 5X and activated it online without any issues. Service started immediately on my new phone. As others have said, avoid Sprint stores if possible. I made the mistake of going into two stores to get a sim and they lied to my face that they didn't have any. Went online to Sprint chat and they 2nd day aired the Sim card to me.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Luminous Cow posted:

They just want to sell you a phone.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If I buy a Nexus 6 off someone on Craigslist:

1) Can I just buy any Nexus 6, I don't have to buy a Sprint one, correct?
2) Can I call up and have it activated while I'm with the guy to purchase it? Like, it takes a few minutes, not a day or a week or whatever? I'd know right away if it had a bad ESN?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

photomikey posted:

If I buy a Nexus 6 off someone on Craigslist:

1) Can I just buy any Nexus 6, I don't have to buy a Sprint one, correct?
2) Can I call up and have it activated while I'm with the guy to purchase it? Like, it takes a few minutes, not a day or a week or whatever? I'd know right away if it had a bad ESN?

yes, and yes, although you will have the usual misery of ads and hold times when calling *2. If you just want to check an ESN, use Swappa: https://swappa.com/esn

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Any thoughts on the A9? I'm gonna sell out and get a new phone. I like the Moto X Pure too. What else is the best band for my (discounted) dollar?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

thisdude23 posted:

Any thoughts on the A9?

"It looks like an iPhone 3g," encompasses the entirety of my thoughts about it

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I'm in a weird position where I could switch to ProjectFi, but I'm not sure I want to leave the comforting embrace of SERO. Is there a clear winner if I don't consume more than 3gb a month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you don't call much (or can use VOIP when you do), the TMo $30 Nerd plan beats both.