Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

TacMan posted:

So that this post isn't one word, yes, it is. ~45 minutes.

My first game ended in downtime. Chaos itself conspires against my attempts to play this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man that RNG can be a total dick.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Popelmon posted:

WHERE ARE MY DRAKEFIRES, GAME? :tbear:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Backhand posted:

Question. Has anybody managed to get any use out of the soldier's shotgun? I want to like it, but the Harqebus is just way too good at sniping specials.

Not really, no. It's pretty much completely redundant with his melee weapons. Sure, you can kill three or four rats in a shot at close range, but you can also do the same thing with a charged swing from his two-hander or the hammer, and those don't need to reload. I guess if you end up with a shield+mace as your primary weapon it might have a bit of a niche in allowing you to thin out hordes more effectively, but even then the ability to take out a special on a moment's notice generally brings more to the team than being able to kill regular rats a little faster.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there a good resource that covers the absolute dummy day one basics? Suff like "What are my bright wizard meters measuring?" and "When is there friendly fire?"

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

toasterwarrior posted:

My first game ended in downtime. Chaos itself conspires against my attempts to play this game

Ah, yep, me too. I wondered what had happened, clearly Tzeench himself with the masterly "Failed to load loot roll". Classic Tzeench.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Current shield-dwarf strategy: stand in front of 10,000 rats, charge-attack shieldbash said rats until A: the brightwizard lobs a fireball my way, B: they stop getting back up, or C: Age of Sigmar happens.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The blunderbuss is nice to have if everyone else is rocking anti-specials but poor anti-horde kit, and the soldier is stuck with the shield / playing on higher difficulty and you can't get into melee with a bunch of rats? Could use better reload time though.

Did find one with like 40% more accuracy, haven't tested it in combat though.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

The blunderbuss is nice to have if everyone else is rocking anti-specials but poor anti-horde kit, and the soldier is stuck with the shield / playing on higher difficulty and you can't get into melee with a bunch of rats? Could use better reload time though.

Did find one with like 40% more accuracy, haven't tested it in combat though.

Dunno why you wouldn't just use the repeater for this though. It seems like a way better weapon against the swarm, while still being pretty good against specials.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Me and three other goons were in the middle of a Hard run and were fighting a Rat Ogre when the maintenance started, apparently that also made it invulnerable since it took a absolute poo poo-ton of damage without dying.

After that the game crashed for all of us. :v:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Vargs posted:

Dunno why you wouldn't just use the repeater for this though. It seems like a way better weapon against the swarm, while still being pretty good against specials.

Yeah the Blunderbuss needs a buff. Maybe turn it into more of an auto-shotty-with-limited-ammo? That or a gently caress-off-hand-cannon-with-*very*-limited-ammo.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Vargs posted:

I tried messing with the repeater and didn't like it much. The blunderbluss kinda makes alotta things dead, now. Where I feel like I take a bit to empty the repeater. Really need to find a shotty with a reload mod.

I generally find trash to be a little more menacing than specials since the hyperaggressive ones that aren't ogre are squishy enough. While trash rats feel like they're in my face constantly.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Drakes posted:

While trash rats feel like they're in my face constantly.

Shove em back! Unless you're an elf, shoving rats around makes them lose a lot of time either finishing their stumbling animation or getting back up. Especially with two handers.

Elf shove just makes them stand still for half a second unless you have a bonus on your weapon for shoving.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

moths posted:

Is there a good resource that covers the absolute dummy day one basics? Suff like "What are my bright wizard meters measuring?" and "When is there friendly fire?"

http://vermintide.gamepedia.com/Guide_to_surviving_the_Vermintide:_For_Beginners

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So for the first 2 days I've played, I had no issue with my connection (which is always solid). But last night, I kept dropping from games continuously. Is it just a bad connection to the host that's loving me over? Or some setting in the game that I've got wrong?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I found that one already, but it doesn't actually address anything like the differences between characters, what the meters mean, or what's going on in specific missions. :(

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Since one of my friends has a case of on-fire-computer we had to leave our 4 slot open for a pubby. Normally, they were actually middling to good. Then we got a dwarf who kept running ahead and getting Packmastered, so I told him in chat 'Stop running ahead, stick with us.' And got 'You guys are so slow! Keep up and help me!'

We left him to die and he whined about how he was going to 'report' us until we kicked him.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

moths posted:

I found that one already, but it doesn't actually address anything like the differences between characters, what the meters mean, or what's going on in specific missions. :(

What's going on in specific missions: walk in the one direction that you can walk in and follow the on-screen prompts.

Differences between characters: they have access to different weapons with different properties, that's it.

Weapons: there are only two things you need to know:
1) you only need to charge ~1s for an attack to be fully charged, you don't need to wait until your character lets go.
2) charge attacks are not upgrades over normal attacks, they're sidegrades. Pay close attention to the difference between normal and charged attacks on the weapon stats (e.g. 1h+shield normal attacks aren't armour-piercing but do significantly more damage than the charge attacks, which are armour piercing; most 2h weapons are designed for you to spam charge attacks to take advantage of hitting multiple enemies; etc.).

Bright Wizard meter: it's heat. You accumulate heat by shooting your normal attack, charging a charged attack (hold RMB), or firing a charged attack (press LMB while holding RMB). If the heat meter fills up completely, you blow up and die. You can press R at any time to forcefully cool down, but if your heat is already past the two pips that are about 30% of the way up the meter, you will take damage.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The gently caress is with devs hiding the server browser? Your matchmaking poo poo never works right, just let me do it.

EDIT: Oh wait, it doesn't even show numerical ping. Jesus Christ I want to like this game please

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 25, 2015

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
How do you fight a rat ogre?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Night10194 posted:

Since one of my friends has a case of on-fire-computer we had to leave our 4 slot open for a pubby. Normally, they were actually middling to good. Then we got a dwarf who kept running ahead and getting Packmastered, so I told him in chat 'Stop running ahead, stick with us.' And got 'You guys are so slow! Keep up and help me!'

We left him to die and he whined about how he was going to 'report' us until we kicked him.

Every time I find a game where I think "pubbies can't get much worse than this" I find a new one to prove me wrong. Vermintide is the newest one for me. Its all downhill from here lads

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SERPUS posted:

Get it paying attention to one person. That person will block when his stamina is full and backdodge when it's not (backwards and jump) and try to focus on not getting hit. Meanwhile, your buddies can savage the thing's back. It'll eventually get interested in someone else; repeat until dead.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SERPUS posted:

Block its normal attacks (blocks all damage, but consumes all stamina) and backwards dodge its overhead ground pound. The overhead can't be fully blocked, but the rat ogre will change targets when it manages to hit someone, even if it's blocked, so you use that to keep it contained.

The trick is doing this while surrounded by regular skaven who are busy stabbing you in the back, unfortunately. If you can get good at dodging, you can try to dodge everything in throws your way while getting in one hit between swings, which should keep it focused on you while everyone else keeps the trash away or helps murder it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dogstile posted:

Every time I find a game where I think "pubbies can't get much worse than this" I find a new one to prove me wrong. Vermintide is the newest one for me. Its all downhill from here lads

I mean, in fairness, we've had some really good pubs, too. Even without direct communication, some will stick close with us, I've met at least one who was an absolutely laser-accurate shot against specials, and one helped us find the tomes on Magnus awhile back. It's a mixed bag.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Soldier on the other hand has poofy Landesknecht pants and an outrageous feathered hat.

It says something in his lore about how he wears that hat because he's earned the right from imperial service and by god he's gonna wear it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ChickenHeart posted:

Moor's Garden is hands-down the best map in the game. Here's why:

Skeletons.

I mostly love Garden because I get to make a "Look, we finally reached Moor-door!" Pun at the start of every run

What is the difference between RO slam and punch? One or two fists?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I mostly love Garden because I get to make a "Look, we finally reached Moor-door!" Pun at the start of every run

What is the difference between RO slam and punch? One or two fists?

Basically. The ground slam is when he does the Capt Kirk thing with both his fists and smashes the ground from above. This has small AoE and can not be fully blocked. When he swipes from the side with his right hand (always seems right to me), you can fully block that, but it has a huge knockback, and he will usually change targets after he hits with this.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I feel there's more special rats after I put on the +50% luck trinket. ...it increases bad luck? :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Night10194 posted:

I mean, in fairness, we've had some really good pubs, too. Even without direct communication, some will stick close with us, I've met at least one who was an absolutely laser-accurate shot against specials, and one helped us find the tomes on Magnus awhile back. It's a mixed bag.

Yeah, I've had the full spectrum of pubby competence/incompetence. The worst I had so far though was the dorf who considered himself the entire party and we're just there. I join near the finale of Morr only to watch him separate from the group and when called on it he said that he didn't and when called he insists its our fault we separated from him when he gets rat-sassined. And when the trio of us try to shoot the Rutter Gunner off of him from across the arena which means we fail to see the Storm Vermin squad walking up to us.

But I joined at the end, might as well re-try with this group because obviously the dorf can't be that bad the entire way, getting mixed up during the finale is easy enough, right? Nope, he's out leading the pack the entire way, the only time he stays within about 30 meters of the party that's trying to keep up with him is when he hears the horde horn. About the only awareness he shows of the other party needing help is that he knows where all the healing drops are and will stand on them and highlight them for us, which is above and beyond many a pubbie and would be forgivable if he didn't sprint off as soon as we got within 5 meters of the healing items, meaning we have to catch back up again. Of course knowing the dorf is a special snowflake that wants to run ahead does manage to keep the other three together and we win the second time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wonder if you and I had the same idiot dwarf?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Night10194 posted:

I wonder if you and I had the same idiot dwarf?

Did you get a witchunter with a zweihander and a crossbow joining your game right before the hedge maze on the first run? Because if so that was me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alkydere posted:

Did you get a witchunter with a zweihander and a crossbow joining your game right before the hedge maze on the first run? Because if so that was me.

Naw, we were on Wizard's tower and I was playing with 2 friends on comms. I meant I wonder if it was the same player in two different games.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ah, could be. Just running ahead the entire time like it was a race against the clock, only falling back to the group when he got in trouble (provided said trouble wasn't a special that ganked him), insisting that the finale had one (non0linier and non-sensical) ideal route and blaming the party when they didn't read his mind and separated from the most important member etc. etc. Sound familiar?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yep, that's the idiot. Or else there are two completely identical dumb dwarves out there.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Vargs posted:

Dunno why you wouldn't just use the repeater for this though.

Popelmon posted:

:colbert:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
So...is it me, or do pubbies never play with VOIP on ever?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Buried alive posted:

So...is it me, or do pubbies never play with VOIP on ever?

I think VOIP is disabled by default.

Edit: And just like that the most recent patch enables it by default.

Randler fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 25, 2015

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that
None of you guys will ever MLG360noscopebitches until you start quickswitching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIuGrv97A18

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo Wheat and Chaff is where you git good or go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Holy poo poo Wheat and Chaff is where you git good or go home.
:haw: If this is actually the reason behind the name/difficulty I'll laugh so hard.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 25, 2015

• Locked thread