Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

BAD. Context: What does VS do after getting pushed off gourney dam? A coordinated armor push from the south! :psyduck:

Is it any wonder why emerald lost to miller? How the mighty have fallen!

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

contagonist
Jul 21, 2014

You shouldn't be doing anything with fluorine.
Emerald leadership confirmed for full retard: zergfit wrangler =! Server Smash FC.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
When we wandered over to the West of the map we were at a base on a hill and nine VS lightnings turned up. Of course since they couldn't get into the base they were entirely useless.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

GOKU and by extension Emerald are the worst.

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Connoisseur of fine IPA`s and Chili with beans!
Lover of mayonnaise and anime!

contagonist posted:

Emerald leadership confirmed for full retard: zergfit wrangler =! Server Smash FC.

Cintesis has PL'd a few server smashes at this point. Looking at that match, I think he made a few big mistakes, but there were also big problems at almost all levels, from an inability to deal with vehicles and air to losing 50/50's and the big blunder at Mulac.

The guy at the top always gets burned. But the loss uncovered some deeper and more widespread issues with Emerald's smash team that need to be addressed. Our air capabilities are dismal, a faint shadow of their former strength. And people seem to have lost that Mattherson "if it flies it dies" way of thinking. Miller had 2k AH kills. That's roughly one air hammer kill ever 3.5 seconds.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
I lead the MCY platoon on the Eastern Lane, I was surprised how far we got.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I still play this dumb game and it's fun and not dead yet

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

jneer posted:

I lead the MCY platoon on the Eastern Lane, I was surprised how far we got.

Considering you were up against V and BRIT it shouldn't have been too surprising.

Coming up in the finale the reverse match where VULT faces off against 20r.

Fans fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 25, 2015

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
I, for one, suggest we train the ground peasants in the art of ESF hunting by subjecting them to airhammer/ppa airballs on a more regular basis. :colbert:

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Mustarde posted:

Cintesis has PL'd a few server smashes at this point. Looking at that match, I think he made a few big mistakes, but there were also big problems at almost all levels, from an inability to deal with vehicles and air to losing 50/50's and the big blunder at Mulac.

The guy at the top always gets burned. But the loss uncovered some deeper and more widespread issues with Emerald's smash team that need to be addressed. Our air capabilities are dismal, a faint shadow of their former strength. And people seem to have lost that Mattherson "if it flies it dies" way of thinking. Miller had 2k AH kills. That's roughly one air hammer kill ever 3.5 seconds.

Waterson has dumbed down our server.

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Connoisseur of fine IPA`s and Chili with beans!
Lover of mayonnaise and anime!

Hajj Podge posted:

I love making fun of waterbabbies, but I think the reality for our air problem is that our air community was particularly toxic and pessimistic - once they all started hating the game, making GBS threads on it, and making GBS threads on everyone who played it, it was only a matter of time before the vast majority of them left en-masse for something else. Strangely, ArchAge took many of them away... but their departure was already predetermined.

Contrast with some of the EU pilots I know - many of them are not happy with the air game, but they have their elite AC-like air squads and continue to play and farm and stroke their ego as pilots are known to do. Over 2 years, almost all of Mattherson/Waterson/Connery pilots are gone save but a few, and Miller/Cobalt still loses a lot of their pilots over time (inevitable with a 3 year old game) but have intact communities and more retention.

I'm not a euroman so don't take this as absolute truth, but compare BLNG/INI/RO etc to PREY/TGGW/QRY/N. Most of the remaining Emerald pilots play on the ground, burned every known bridge to the community they could think of, or flat out left filled with bitterness and contempt for everything planetside. It's no wonder we have SSGO guys leading in the air for server smash.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mustarde posted:

I'm not a euroman so don't take this as absolute truth, but compare BLNG/INI/RO etc to PREY/TGGW/QRY/N. Most of the remaining Emerald pilots play on the ground, burned every known bridge to the community they could think of, or flat out left filled with bitterness and contempt for everything planetside. It's no wonder we have SSGO guys leading in the air for server smash.

Can't say about the Miller outfits but BLNG hasn't played ServerSmashes in a while, and for pretty much exactly the kind of drama you describe (i.e. they're huge twats and everybody hates them). One or two of them show up as volunteer solo players, but that's it.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

Mustarde posted:

Neither INI nor RO are known for their pilots, they're both pure infantry barring the one or two exceptions you find in every outfit.

MCY often brings 20-25% of the Miller Air and indeed the top killer in that match was one of our pilots - Aircraftdoodle. We're bringing 24 to most games at the moment.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Hajj Podge posted:

ive been saying this since the merge and this man gets it

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
you can still enjoy things if they are dead

hehehe

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:yikes:

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Dongattack posted:

hehehe

he's not wrong. i enjoy a good steak

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

pakman posted:

he's not wrong. i enjoy a good steak

It's not a good steak unless it moos.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

But Not Tonight posted:

holy poo poo, shut the hell up with this stupid train of shitposting

all you do is post "DED GAME LOL" anymore, stop it

But Not Tonight posted:

just as bad imo

keep on shitposting I guess

whao easy there man youre starting to sound like a certain panopticon

Dongattack posted:

hehehe

:eyepop:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

personally i believe we lost the server smash because we were kingmakered

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Planetside's not dead. I've seen dead. I've played Tribes Ascend and Brink. I know what dead looks like. Planetside's not dead. It just has an IV drip.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
ha ha

:smith:

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Segmentation Fault posted:

Planetside's not dead. I've seen dead. I've played Tribes Ascend and Brink. I know what dead looks like. Planetside's not dead. It just has an IV drip.

Man, Brink was a game that had a huge amount of potential. I miss that game.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Amazingly, ever since the new gameplay designer took over Tribes Ascend is now getting more content updates and balance changes than Planetside 2 is.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Fina posted:

Amazingly, ever since the new gameplay designer took over Tribes Ascend is now getting more content updates and balance changes than Planetside 2 is.

The Tribes Ascend patch comes out this week (probably).

In between balance patches for Planetside 2 a game got abandoned for over a year and resurrected.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Game ain't dead to me. Cont lock every day, just play on that one. Shoot mens. Run people over in Harasser. Good times had by all.

If there's been a massive pop drop I haven't noticed it at all.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Fina posted:

Here's the thing that confuses me about the companies doing MMO's. A big thing about LoL is that they have constant patching and tinkering with balance changes because one character is dominant or something is occurring that the developers don't want. These balance changes cause discussion, and continue player engagement. So if you still have a playerbase worth making changes for, why not continue with continual tinkering so players don't get bored? Or is PS2's codebase just a bunch of spaghetti that they no longer understand like it's Warhammer 40k all over again?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Gaghskull posted:

Here's the thing that confuses me about the companies doing MMO's. A big thing about LoL is that they have constant patching and tinkering with balance changes because one character is dominant or something is occurring that the developers don't want. These balance changes cause discussion, and continue player engagement. So if you still have a playerbase worth making changes for, why not continue with continual tinkering so players don't get bored? Or is PS2's codebase just a bunch of spaghetti that they no longer understand like it's Warhammer 40k all over again?

I'd pay to see the comments in the Planetside 2 code.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
LoL can release new characters to "balance" old characters by making them a hard counter. Doesn't really work as well in something like Planetside.

Lovely Senorita posted:

I expect them to roughly resemble the ones for Goonstation in SS13.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lovely Senorita posted:

I'd honestly pay, to a reasonable extent, for ability to inspect Planetside 2 code base.

Fans posted:

LoL can release new characters to "balance" old characters by making them a hard counter. Doesn't really work as well in something like Planetside.
We could just cycle ZOE in and out of existence. :v:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

kalstrams posted:

We could just cycle ZOE in and out of existence. :v:

ZOE's back in!

So are one hit Ravens, the old Banshee, Pre-Nerf Harassers and the hex crash bug. Watch it all burn.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Could grab invisible Liberators then too. :magical:

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

Xae posted:

The Tribes Ascend patch comes out this week (probably).

In between balance patches for Planetside 2 a game got abandoned for over a year and resurrected.

PTS 2.1 came out last weekend but the servers have been hosed since so I haven't had a chance to get some hands-on time.

It just amazed me that one of the best-case dream scenarios came true for the game, a new designer taking over who was willing to throw everything away and start over, on a game that nobody played anymore and the company had no reason to spend any more money on.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Gaghskull posted:

Because SOE is dumb.

I've gone back and forth with Radar X about it on Reddit. It boils down to SoE/DBG does not think balance is an important aspect of the game.

They're still stuck in the same attitude they had in 1999 when they told people 'you should just group with your friends and not worry about balance!' in response to terrible balance.

To SoE balance is this ephemeral thing that doesn't impact the enjoyment of the players or the success of the game.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fina posted:

Amazingly, ever since

THE SOUND OF BLEACH BEING CHUGGED

Gaghskull posted:

LoL makes a grajillion dollars per second though and I have no idea what the appeal of it or the festering hellhole of a genre it resides in is

Fans posted:

ZOE's back in!

So are one hit Ravens, the old Banshee, Pre-Nerf Harassers and the hex crash bug. Watch it all burn.

Ooo! Don't forget pre-nerf ScatMAXes!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Epic High Five posted:

LoL makes a grajillion dollars per second though and I have no idea what the appeal of it or the festering hellhole of a genre it resides in is

It has these things called in game purchases and they're not 5 dollars a piece, but very cheap so it tempts you to buy. A thing that a game like Planetside could of course never do, because everything must be ridiculously expensive forever.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

They could take the early Russian Planetside 2 model and sell timed use of guns for cheap.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

kalstrams posted:

They could take the early Russian Planetside 2 model and sell timed use of guns for cheap.

If we were using a truly Russian model, loadouts would be whatever you pick off of the dead soldier you marched behind.

Thinking about that further, it would be cool if you could deploy without primary/secondary slots filled and grab the first non-launcher gun you find, which you're then stuck with.
Incredibly hard to balance and a waste of programming time, but interesting.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Zomborgon posted:

If we were using a truly Russian model, loadouts would be whatever you pick off of the dead soldier you marched behind.

So, the Planetside 1 model.

Man, I had a locker full of Repeaters and Beamers I took off of dead infiltrators as trophies. That poo poo was awesome. Used to break out the Repeaters sometimes for a lark.. not so much the Beamers. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Stealing the guns off people would change this game so much, i'd love to see it.

• Locked thread