Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Billy Elliot posted:

Well more how the quests were laid out and the zone is narrow so things are spread out as much auberdine has a flight path direct to a capital so it's real easy to train skills... Unless you are a warlock like I am haha.

I've only done horde in ashenvale, how is it alliance side? Are there warlock trainers out there or I screwed to go to IF or SW to train up?

Probably need to go to IF or SW. But then again I play a Mage, my rank ups are rare and easily delay-able (I probably should head to IF to get a quest at some point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
I should plan things out and look at skills. I really didn't need to train from 10 until I hit 16. I got a better shadow bolt at 14 but I was wanting more to keep mana issues at bay.

I just want to do ashenvale since I always did westfall/redridge/duskwood in the past.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Billy Elliot posted:

I should plan things out and look at skills. I really didn't need to train from 10 until I hit 16. I got a better shadow bolt at 14 but I was wanting more to keep mana issues at bay.

I just want to do ashenvale since I always did westfall/redridge/duskwood in the past.

I did Darkshore today and it's a goldmine of XP, 100% worth it. Quest mobs everywhere, the quests are easy, but give solid XP (got something like 9%, about 1500xp for killing one level 19 non-elite mob, at level 18), the distances are only on one axis (and you can just follow the road or the coast line), drop rates are high... Hell there's a pair of quests that are just "go to this crystal", with the crystal being a straight line from the town (with some level 12-13 mobs in the way), and they each give something like 1000xp.

VV: I am a dumb. I blame Astranaar for having a similar name. (I ventured to Ashenvale to get the FP though)

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 21, 2015

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Serperoth posted:

I did Ashenvale today and it's a goldmine of XP, 100% worth it. Quest mobs everywhere, the quests are easy, but give solid XP (got something like 9%, about 1500xp for killing one level 19 non-elite mob, at level 18), the distances are only on one axis (and you can just follow the road or the coast line), drop rates are high... Hell there's a pair of quests that are just "go to this crystal", with the crystal being a straight line from the town (with some level 12-13 mobs in the way), and they each give something like 1000xp.

Do you mean Darkshore, the 10-20 zone, or Ashenvale the 20-30 zone?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Auberdine/ashenvale are easily confused since they are both made up fantasy names

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
Vale, shore, shire, Ridge, Vale, lands, add before any of those a color or earthen object.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Billy Elliot posted:

Vale, shore, shire, Ridge, Vale, lands, add before any of those a color or earthen object.

the Buttelands

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
It's 1AM, I'm sitting in a dark room eating cheetos and wanding poo poo to death on my priest while a more attractive man is asleep in bed behind me. I have completed the regression to Freshman Me.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Melanion posted:

It's 1AM, I'm sitting in a dark room eating cheetos and wanding poo poo to death on my priest while a more attractive man is asleep in bed behind me. I have completed the regression to Freshman Me.

Why is he sleeping? Are you taking shifts instead of poopsocking?

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Serperoth posted:

Why is he sleeping? Are you taking shifts instead of poopsocking?

He doesn't play MMOs, alas. I keep him around for morale purposes.

The nostalgia is strong, even when it comes to dumbasses and assholes. I've had to teach two different groups the age-old tenet: If the healer runs back, ERRYBODY runs back.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Dr Tasty posted:

I'm using Vanilla Guide, does anyone else notice that it tends to give erroneous directions or gets east and west mixed up? At Fargodeep mine it said to go east to the stonefield farm or whatever and that place is west. I remember from leveling my hunter on Emerald Dream that I got confused a few times because of that.

Yes, the quality of the alliance guide is rather diminished compared to horde. The guy who cobbled them together is/was on the guild on the PvP server, I forget his name. He said he was thinking about cleaning it up but :effort:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Man I just abandoned some quests in the NE area. That stupid dresser in starbreeze village is always camped by 5 people with a long timer. Also forgot how hard that demonkin cave is. I think I've settled in to the idea of just grinding out kills until I hit 10.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Married life and new job is taking its toll. Will get leveled eventually. Once I max lifetap and wands then hopefully the time I have to level will go more quickly.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Cartouche posted:

Married life and new job is taking its toll. Will get leveled eventually. Once I max lifetap and wands then hopefully the time I have to level will go more quickly.

Pretty much the same. I got to level 21 and haven't been able to play for a couple days, but on the other hand saw a kickass Barenaked Ladies / Alan Doyle concert last night!

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Desmond posted:

Pretty much the same. I got to level 21 and haven't been able to play for a couple days, but on the other hand saw a kickass Barenaked Ladies / Alan Doyle concert last night!

poo poo, I'm super jealous now. I saw them a couple months ago and they had Colin Haye with them. I like the guy, but I got kind of burnt out on him during Scrubs. Still an awesome show, even if it rained on us. (Amphitheater)

With regard to IRL preventing poopsocking, what's the approximate level gap players can have in a group before the lower-leveled players stop getting worthwhile XP? I imagine the level spread in the guild is going to get pretty extensive quickly, with the fastest-leveling hitting 60 and the rest having to pug because there aren't enough goons near their level.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
Turns out my laptop was fuct and couldn't install WoW on it, at least the last kindle I tried before heading to the airport the next morning. I have the nephew over now, but tomorrow through Sunday I'll get some leveling in on Lemmiwinks. I feel my poopsocking day one for 16 means I'm probably trailing behind now?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Billy Elliot posted:

I feel my poopsocking day one for 16 means I'm probably trailing behind now?

Everyone less than 30 was given the "casual" rank and lost the ability to speak in guild chat

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
I knew I should have told my boss "no one stops Lemmiwinks in his run to 60" instead of going on that business trip. That would have gone over real good with the him.

Reminds me of when I was doing an AQ40 raid in vanilla in a class, my ethics class. It was so fitting. Did get the drop for the Pugio, totally worth it.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Not having release week off the the loving worst.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Melanion posted:

poo poo, I'm super jealous now. I saw them a couple months ago and they had Colin Haye with them. I like the guy, but I got kind of burnt out on him during Scrubs. Still an awesome show, even if it rained on us. (Amphitheater)

With regard to IRL preventing poopsocking, what's the approximate level gap players can have in a group before the lower-leveled players stop getting worthwhile XP? I imagine the level spread in the guild is going to get pretty extensive quickly, with the fastest-leveling hitting 60 and the rest having to pug because there aren't enough goons near their level.

Love Colin Haye. How did you burn out on him? Wasnt he only in one episode?

I dont see the point in a soul crushing rush to 60. What to do when there? Get pissed that all you have to run with are pubbies until the rest catch up. Why flame out like that? Most fun is running with like leveled guildies imho. Outpacing the pack on your own is something I cannot grok.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

What the heck, in as Hillrycriton and looking for a guild invite :)

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Cartouche posted:

Love Colin Haye. How did you burn out on him? Wasnt he only in one episode?

I should have been clearer. I really liked him when I first heard him on Scrubs and ended up listening to his stuff continuously for about two months. That's what kind of burned me out. As far as I know on Scrubs he appeared once in person and had his music used four or five times.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
We have a traitor in our ranks.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Anyone else have a problem where npcs aren't giving quests? My guy is in the Hinterlands and I can only accept one of the quests for the elite area and I can't accept the quest to kill the normal turtles. I am level 48 so its not that I am too low level, the quest givers just don't have the quests.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

soscannonballs posted:

Anyone else have a problem where npcs aren't giving quests? My guy is in the Hinterlands and I can only accept one of the quests for the elite area and I can't accept the quest to kill the normal turtles. I am level 48 so its not that I am too low level, the quest givers just don't have the quests.

If you are Horde, the quests around Revantusk were for the most part not implemented in patch 1.3 so they are not available currently.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Anyone else having trouble connecting? I couldn't loot the bloodsail orders and then everything went bad.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Anyone know where to find a good swing timer addon? I did check Google, but didn't find anything.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

TipTow posted:

Anyone know where to find a good swing timer addon? I did check Google, but didn't find anything.

abar or attackbar

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Tanners posted:

abar or attackbar

This was perfect, thanks!

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

I finally got my UI to something that resonates with my nostalgia. At least on Nost we don't have to deal with half our addons becoming incompatible every couple of months due to an inconsequential patch.

My only complaint is that Questie has no controls whatsoever and is designed to work with a round minimap. If I had the option I'd just turn it off on the minimap and use it on the main map.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Melanion posted:

My only complaint is that Questie has no controls whatsoever and is designed to work with a round minimap. If I had the option I'd just turn it off on the minimap and use it on the main map.

It really is a shame it lacks them, it seems so good otherwise.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Just thought i'd mention if anyone was interested in rerolling here and might want to try rogue, we have very few rogues. Roll one and you'd have very little competition for gear. Also they are fun to play!

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Mazz posted:

It really is a shame it lacks them, it seems so good otherwise.

When I get home I'm gonna try loving with the lua to see if I can just comment out the minimap stuff. It really is a great mod.

Does anyone know if there's a version of Cartographer with waypoints or a version of TomTom that works with 1.12? I have an unreasoning hatred of BWP's arrow and I miss the Crazy Taxi one.

Melanion fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 27, 2015

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Melanion posted:

When I get home I'm gonna try loving with the lua to see if I can just comment out the minimap stuff. It really is a great mod.

Does anyone know if there's a version of Cartographer with waypoints or a version of TomTom that works with 1.12? I have an unreasoning hatred of BWP's arrow and I miss the Crazy Taxi one.

I could be wrong but I thought I read at one point that anything that places icons on the minimap is restricted to the circular radius of the default one.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Manslaughter posted:

I could be wrong but I thought I read at one point that anything that places icons on the minimap is restricted to the circular radius of the default one.

I'm okay with just disabling the minimap functionality. I'm not home yet but I'm looking at the source on github and it looks like a simple boolean switch near the top of the main lua file.

I just remembered something, though. Questie's arrow is independent of the BWP stuff and looks like what I want. I might be able to insert a slash command handler in Questie to do custom waypoint arrows!

Goomiferous
Apr 12, 2006

Filthy lurker.
In as Rhow. Thanks for the invite, will probably take me quite a while to level as this will be my first alliance character in some time.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Melanion posted:

I finally got my UI to something that resonates with my nostalgia. At least on Nost we don't have to deal with half our addons becoming incompatible every couple of months due to an inconsequential patch.

What UI mods are we looking at here? I recognize Vanilla Guide and Questie, but I'm curious about the rest.

I'm assuming that you're using Bongos. I've used Discord Bars in the past, but wouldn't mind checking Bongos out.

What I'm really wondering is what mods give you the bar at the top and the PC/target windows in the middle? I'm interested in trying some stuff like that.

Couple other questions for the thread:
I installed Auctioneer & Enchantrix and their dependencies, but how do I actually get it to work? Is it a /slash or something?
[E: Just got Auctioneer running, but I'm still confused about Enchantrix]

I need a good mod for damage meters. Any recommendations?

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 28, 2015

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Brave New World posted:

What UI mods are we looking at here? I recognize Vanilla Guide and Questie, but I'm curious about the rest.

I am indeed using Bongos for the bars. The unit frames mod (player frame, target, ToT) is called X-Perl. The top bit is Fubar, but everything on it is its own little mini-mod. A few come bundled with it but nearly any other mod can have a Fubar plugin.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Server down for maintenance? Can't get past login.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Melanion posted:

what all are you using?

n/m answered

• Locked thread