Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Lovechop posted:

the viewership next week will be interesting lol

Yeah I'm not watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
hahaha monte with the eulogy

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The eulogy lmao

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lovechop posted:

the viewership next week will be interesting lol

If there was a 3rd place playoff between Fnatic and Origen I'd be all over that but I don't give a poo poo about watching 2 hours of SKT kerbstomping KOO.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Libertine posted:

We can talk about the Korean guys who retired to China instead if it gets you to ease up off the gas pedal for a few pages.

Heart is cool, I hope he leaves China.

edit: Also I really do like KOO a lot i wasn't making fun of them. They barely even made promos to OGN in spring too. They're legit a big underdog story all year

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

njsykora posted:

If there was a 3rd place playoff between Fnatic and Origen I'd be all over that but I don't give a poo poo about watching 2 hours of SKT kerbstomping KOO.

Yeah, I think the opening ceremony will be longer than the series

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Hopefully some rich Chinese fucker doesn't snach Smeb and other top Korean players this time. I don't want to see some of the greatest talent this game has seen go to waste for another year. :(

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Snake is rumored to be trying to put together a super team but that's with dudes already in the LPL. A lot of people actually think that the owners will become disinterested due to their poor showing at Worlds. A lot of dudes are probably going to retire over it too.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
The one thing I enjoyed this match was seeing Hecarim finally useful.

Jazzy Jones
May 25, 2008
Yay, I can gently caress around next week. That is actually good.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

This is about 2/3rds of the Riven games I've played. RIP in pieces, Fnatic.

Servaetes posted:

Yeah, I think the opening ceremony will be longer than the series

I was hoping that it wouldn't be a repeat of Season 3 again. I recall it being the first Worlds I watched seriously, and I was really excited for the finale... and then SKT just shat all over Royal Club. It was a painfully humiliating drubbing. Even the casters had trouble drumming up enthusiasm. Faker looked like he'd just finished three somewhat challenging solo queue games. The disparity is even larger this year with SKT looking to not drop a single game. Not only that, but there's only been one where it's even vaguely looked like they might lose it. Every other game has featured them just toying with the other team like a bunch of Diamond smurfs in Bronze. Good on them for having mastered the game so thoroughly, but it always makes the end of Worlds very disappointing from a spectator's standpoint.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

gently caress, I took to long to find the video I made this gif from. Pretend I posted it during the games

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Work Friend Keven posted:

Everything is hosed.

im dangerous

stump collector
May 28, 2007
ive been a fan of smeb since IM >:)

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

So Pro league has effectively become Pro Starcraft. 0 chances of non koreans doing anything.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Who could have known back then that MSI would be the most exciting tournament this year...

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Lol apparently literally only a single person still has a chance to win that loving pick em skin.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Savage Cracker posted:

Lol apparently literally only a single person still has a chance to win that loving pick em skin.

Pretty crazy considering how obviously predictable and how much of a foregone conclusion this entire tournament has been that there weren't more people in the running.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Savage Cracker posted:

I'm rooting for whoever he didn't pick in the final.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I'm rooting for whoever he didn't pick in the final.

He has SKT over KOO.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Vermain posted:

This is about 2/3rds of the Riven games I've played. RIP in pieces, Fnatic.

I was hoping that it wouldn't be a repeat of Season 3 again. I recall it being the first Worlds I watched seriously, and I was really excited for the finale... and then SKT just shat all over Royal Club. It was a painfully humiliating drubbing. Even the casters had trouble drumming up enthusiasm. Faker looked like he'd just finished three somewhat challenging solo queue games. The disparity is even larger this year with SKT looking to not drop a single game. Not only that, but there's only been one where it's even vaguely looked like they might lose it. Every other game has featured them just toying with the other team like a bunch of Diamond smurfs in Bronze. Good on them for having mastered the game so thoroughly, but it always makes the end of Worlds very disappointing from a spectator's standpoint.

Season 3 was really exciting up till the final and regardless of who won that they would be extremely short one sided games regardless because every single game at worlds that year was a short one sided game that ended at 22 minutes, forever scarring the fanbase into thinking that any game that wasn't over by 26 minutes is the result of bad teams. The bad thing about season 3 finals was it was a million hours of riot tryndamere and panning shots around the stadium and video packages and the actual finals in total lasted like an hour.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Go KOO then :effort:

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Libertine posted:

Pretty crazy considering how obviously predictable and how much of a foregone conclusion this entire tournament has been that there weren't more people in the running.

Hey when I tried to do my pick em there was no button to click that said teams I couldn't possibly ever give a poo poo about winning sweeps against different teams I don't care about so unfortunately I was unable to submit an accurate bracket and bowed out.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Libertine posted:

Man you're really spiteful about people saying "The Koreans will win this" and it being 100% true. Trust me I wish maybe the other regions would have proved it wrong but what can ya do?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i think you're interpreting sarcasm as spite

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Isn't the first time he's brought it up

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Alright buddy

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Servaetes posted:

Isn't the first time he's brought it up

It's in response to the hundreds of posts people have made bemoaning the lack of surprises in a tournament where only one human on the planet even has a chance of perfectly predicting it.

Obviously SKT was the heavy favorite going in and will be the heavy favorite in the final games, but a ton of teams have performed radically different to expectations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think that if groups were best of five instead of the goofy format it is now that the amount of correct brackets would go up a ton

edit: Or even BO3, although that obviously would be harder to predict

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Off-season this year is going to be great.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

It's basically already begun what with CLG benching Pob and TSM rebuilding.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Last offseason: CLG you idiots Smellbelter is a lucker dog noob wtf
This offseason: CLG you idiots how can you replace Notorious POB he carried you lucker dog noobs

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Libertine posted:

It's in response to the hundreds of posts people have made bemoaning the lack of surprises in a tournament where only one human on the planet even has a chance of perfectly predicting it.

Obviously SKT was the heavy favorite going in and will be the heavy favorite in the final games, but a ton of teams have performed radically different to expectations.

I think at least for me it was just kinda disappointing that the entire tournament was gonna be SKT going literally undefeated because from a spectator POV it is really really loving boring. Groups were fun to watch however and I'm still baffled how NA started so strong and got swept out so quickly.

That being said I'm liking Marin because the dude runs Renekton and he's one of my favorite champs so it's a delight to see him played well.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Servaetes posted:

That being said I'm liking Marin because the dude runs Renekton and he's one of my favorite champs so it's a delight to see him played well.

Marin owns and will win the tournament for SKT

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Schnorkles posted:

I hope LGD rallies and wins IEM undefeated. I wanted to see Imp poo poo all over SKT again this worlds :(

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wait did KOO use the a chroma pack on Zac?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Nothing surprising at all except for China being horrendous this worlds, now we get a 3-1 SKT win

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I hope imp gets stuck in a Jacob's Ladder like limbo but instead of seeing demons everywhere he just keeps losing to TSM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think CLG has a rookie ADC they want to try out instead of importing Imp

• Locked thread