Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Guavanaut posted:

Here's one in the background.

gently caress I never noticed the queue Chinese before because Mac is too loathsome to contemplate for long.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Paladinus posted:

He's already said that exact racist thing. There are no winks to anyone.
Don't know what's wrong with the 'chinaman' in this one. Please, don't say slitty eyes. I don't know who other people are, but Xi Jinping and his wife are bang on.

The wink is that it's an excuse for Mac to explicitly write that racist thing, in the cartoon. Heavens, don't use THIS SLUR about THESE CHINESE PEOPLE prince philip! That would be awful! We're not allowed to say THIS SLUR in this PC society anymore!

And yeah Chinese people do actually open their eyes now and again. It's almost like... Mac's saying... that the slur is perfectly accurate! PC SOCIETY :arghfist:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

baka kaba posted:

The wink is that it's an excuse for Mac to explicitly write that racist thing, in the cartoon. Heavens, don't use THIS SLUR about THESE CHINESE PEOPLE prince philip! That would be awful! We're not allowed to say THIS SLUR in this PC society anymore!

And yeah Chinese people do actually open their eyes now and again. It's almost like... Mac's saying... that the slur is perfectly accurate! PC SOCIETY :arghfist:

I guess Mac thinks Farage is Chinese, too.

Or maybe that's just how people look when they smile.

Here's a Chinese cartoon with two smiling non-Chinese people.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Brenda may want to invest in having that sign laminated, or printed on a t shirt.

:golfclap:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Paladinus posted:

Oh wow, I guess drawing Chinese people with slits for eyes isn't an established stereotype in cartoons, especially in one that literally says "REMEMBER DON'T SAY SLITTY EYES" above them, because noted non-stereotyper Mac drew someone else smiling with their eyes closed once

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Paladinus posted:

Whatever you do, don't tell the colorist that Obama's actually black.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

baka kaba posted:

Oh wow, I guess drawing Chinese people with slits for eyes isn't an established stereotype in cartoons, especially in one that literally says "REMEMBER DON'T SAY SLITTY EYES" above them, because noted non-stereotyper Mac drew someone else smiling with their eyes closed once

You keep saying 'slitty eyes'. Maybe you just love saying it so much because you're the real racist here. Huh, makes you think.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Excellent work!

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Xi Jinping's visit to Britain – David Cameron has been urged to challenge the Chinese president over job losses in the British steel industry following the announcement of 1,200 redundancies by the UK’s largest steelmaker" After the Guiness advert.

Telegraph:

Times:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
By Jove, look at all those 'chinaman' caricatures with their slitty eyes. Even the Queen in the Telegraph one of all places! For shame.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Britain and China's trade deals – China has agreed not to conduct cyber-espionage against UK companies and to invest billions in a new nuclear power plant in Britain, following talks between David Cameron and President Xi Jinping in Downing Street"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... the Chinese President's state visit to the UK

'Honestly. Directions to the gents would have been enough, Mr Cameron.'

Also this week's Guardian Sport cartoon is a tribute to Howard Kendall.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... the Chinese President's state visit to the UK

'Honestly. Directions to the gents would have been enough, Mr Cameron.'

How strange. Now that this exotic 'chinaman' is not smiling he no longer possesses 'slitty eyes'. Bizarre.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Paladinus posted:

How strange. Now that this exotic 'chinaman' is not smiling he no longer possesses 'slitty eyes'. Bizarre.

Yeah, it's almost like it's not the entire focus of the joke in this one or something! Weird how that works huh...

Just a reminder that this is the cartoon you're rabidly defending here

Haha funny old man casual racism, resist the urge! Cool

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Thanks for reposting it, was a pleasure to see again.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Personally I like the Corgi noticing one of them standing in a puddle of piss.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Cloud Potato posted:

Also this week's Guardian Sport cartoon is a tribute to Howard Kendall.

Just this once, it was worth venturing below the line:

Guardian commenter SidFishes posted:

I’ve written to two sports ‘celebrities’ in my life. The first was to Richie Benaud after he’d announced his retirement. I wrote to him to thank him for being the calm rational voice of my cricket summers and with good grace he responded. The second letter I wrote was to Howard Kendall when I was a 23 year old. That wasn’t such a nice letter.

I first watched Howard Kendall when him Harvey and Ball formed the classiest Everton midfield I was to ever experience (and probably ever will). I was 11 in 1970, when Everton won the league and in those days troops of 11 year olds (and younger!) would still go the game in numbers and unsupervised without it becoming a child neglect issue. (In fact the only dilemma I’d ever face match days was whether to spend my bus fare home on a bag of chips and a walk back to Huyton or risk a clip around the head by the conductor for bunking on the bus) I still remember the brilliance of that midfield, though through the haze of 50 years.

1981 Kendall rejoined Everton as manager and at first the signs were not promising by 1982/3 tempers were frayed and the ‘Kendall Out!’ chants became a small but significant presence at home games. After one particularly disappointing game I reached for the Basildon Bond and fountain pen (blue ink not green) and poured out all of my frustrations to the manager.

I cant remember the wording of the letter, but the gist was that I wasn’t happy with his management, he wasn’t motivating the players, they were lazy and I was particularly scathing of our young Welsh Left Back, who was the most useless defender I ever had the misfortune to watch. I ended the letter that if I was ever given the chance to play for Everton you’d need the trainer to carry me off the field as I’d have used every last drop of energy during the game.

He responded. He offered me a trial.

I took the opportunity and as a not very good alehouse player was so far out of my depth it was embarrassing. After it, he treated me to lunch, a tour of the facilities and the chance to meet the players - he offered me tickets for the next Everton home game, which I declined as I was a season ticket holder already, so he arranged for me to have two tickets sent to my address for Everton’s next away game (Arsenal). He never mentioned the letter I’d written once except to say as we parted - ‘you see (Sid), we are trying our best’

The manager I roundly castigated went on not only to win my respect but became the most successful manager in Everton’s history. The Welsh Left Back I was scathing about was Kevin Ratcliffe playing out of position who became Everton’s most successful captain and certainly the quickest central defender I ever watched.

So thanks Howard wherever you are for the best 10 footballing years of my life both watching you as a player and your first spell as a manager. Most of all from a very personal note - thanks for teaching me the value of humility.

:unsmith:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Torygraph guy desperately trying to make Osbourne adorable.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Here's one in the background.

Foreign professionals will fill skilled workers gap while also introducing new cultures that allow hot doctors with nice butts to wear straw stringkinis at appointments, A Good Cartoon

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Party of the bourgeoisie? :v:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Despite their proclaimed left wing identity, the SNP are really to the right of the Conservatives, A Good Cartoon.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the end of Xi Jinping's British visit – Cross-party concern that David Cameron has downgraded human rights in his efforts to win business contracts with China was expressed at Westminster on Thursday"

Telegraph:

Be bold on sugar tax, Jamie Oliver says

Independent:

Could 'fatal' Lords motion kill tax credit cuts?

English vote plan to become law despite objections

Times:

Mail:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
DCFADGO?

An actual good Telegraph. :wankah:

I'm guessing from the last few front pages that I've seen in store that sugar is the Mail's new 'ban this sick filth'?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

This is really awful cartoon.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Guavanaut posted:

I'm guessing from the last few front pages that I've seen in store that sugar is the Mail's new 'ban this sick filth'?

Probably, but this particular cartoon is referencing a Ministry of Health report on obesity that recommended a vice-tax on sugar as a good start, which Cameron rejected without reading.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Squishy posted:

Probably, but this particular cartoon is referencing a Ministry of Health report on obesity that recommended a vice-tax on sugar as a good start, which Cameron rejected without reading.
I don't remember Mac's cartoons when the government did similar with the report on immigration for being too positive or the report on drugs for saying that their current strategy was a failure.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Xi Jinping's UK visit – Downing Street has insisted that the Chinese state visit secured ‘up to £40bn’ of trade and investment deals, after scrambling to substantiate the figure"

Telegraph:

TalkTalk cyber-attack: Boss 'receives ransom email'

Independent:

After Warhol.

Times:

Stephen Collins:
is split across five large images today for some reason. Here's the link.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"How David Cameron counts his toes... - Chris Riddell on the prime minister’s week"

Sunday Telegraph:

End of British Summer Time.

Independent on Sunday:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"How David Cameron counts his toes... - Chris Riddell on the prime minister’s week"

Best Riddell in ages. Only cartoon worth looking at this whole weekend!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's something about the eyes on the Chinese pig though.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Quick 'n dirty

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Nuclear pig was the worst DBZ villain.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Why remove the rhyme though

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Yeah the rhyme is the theme that ties the cartoon together and isn't an intrusive use of labeling. Removing it was a mistake.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its almost like most of the people who complain about over-labelling just do it because they see other people doing it, not because the labels are actually talking down to the audience or ruining the cartoon.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

I thought the rhyme was pretty inherent, plus the steel bit made me question the whole thing as the industry is doing the opposite of staying in Britain.

Cliff Racer posted:

Its almost like most of the people who complain about over-labelling just do it because they see other people doing it, not because the labels are actually talking down to the audience or ruining the cartoon.

I'm not sure why you think that Riddell's overlabelling is contentious, he's the guy who puts stuff like "Russia" on a bear and "Tory backbenchers" on the blue monsters on Cameron's shoulders. :shrug:

I've done this before and I generally get rid of all the text for effect - I like the art better without it - and it's clear easily 90% of the text he includes is superfluous

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 25, 2015

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Puntification posted:

Yeah the rhyme is the theme that ties the cartoon together and isn't an intrusive use of labeling. Removing it was a mistake.

+ 1

As someone who recently moved from Edinburgh to the east of England this cartoon is way off the mark. EVEL is going to go down very well with with most of England, i.e. the Tory base. EVEL is flawed in so many ways but the basic premise behind it is fairly sound and most people don't look beyond that. Nats like you obviously won't agree but I think we need to stop portraying issues as Scotland vs England because it distracts from the fact that these issues affect much of England as well. Regional devolution is an important issue that should be discussed (I think one of the best New Labour policies that never got off the ground was regional assemblies) and, for example, the "West Lothian" question can also be levied against London MPs given the extent of devolution to the London mayor and Assembly - it's not just a Scotland vs England thing and it does a disservice to the country to continue to portray it as such. The only people who benefit from that are the Tories and the SNP.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

+ 1

As someone who recently moved from Edinburgh to the east of England this cartoon is way off the mark. EVEL is going to go down very well with with most of England, i.e. the Tory base. EVEL is flawed in so many ways but the basic premise behind it is fairly sound and most people don't look beyond that. Nats like you obviously won't agree but I think we need to stop portraying issues as Scotland vs England because it distracts from the fact that these issues affect much of England as well. Regional devolution is an important issue that should be discussed (I think one of the best New Labour policies that never got off the ground was regional assemblies) and, for example, the "West Lothian" question can also be levied against London MPs given the extent of devolution to the London mayor and Assembly - it's not just a Scotland vs England thing and it does a disservice to the country to continue to portray it as such. The only people who benefit from that are the Tories and the SNP.

It depends how you interpret it; if the author meant it as unionism vs. Scottish nationalists (or the independence movement as a whole), I think it illustrates your point, i.e. EVEL is going to hurt the union, even without SNP involvement.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

The Supreme Court posted:

It depends how you interpret it; if the author meant it as unionism vs. Scottish nationalists (or the independence movement as a whole), I think it illustrates your point. EVEL in this is only going to hurt the union, even without SNP involvement.

That interpretation makes a bit of sense but completely ignores that EVEL is a party political stunt from the Conservatives rather than something that's been pushed by a coherent unionist movement of any kind. Despite their "unionist" protestations I doubt the Tories are actually that bothered about driving wedges between the English and the Scots if it benefits them politically.

• Locked thread