Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I get all my news from wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Also I just returned from Thailand and the only 24 hour news stations in English are RT and Fox news. They were playing that 'piece' about you every 2 hours for a week.

They're like my crazy ex-girlfriend.

Meanwhile, in Syria, thanks to Russian intervention the Syrian rebels have received huge numbers of TOW ATGMs, and have been posting lots of videos of them in action. This is a selection from one group in the last 24 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBKPwaEP3sc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtD7MIGBRMU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iIrBJ4rzog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BazNMYBKInY

In September there was about a dozen TOW ATGM videos, this month it's close to 100 already.

Elsewhere, the Russian military is flying low with their helicopters, something that's not been seen in Syria for years. For the moment there's no threat from MANPADS, but they're making pretty tempting targets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zz41qWDzp0

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
are there any up to date vehicle counts for the factions? Or guesses really.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Third World Reggin posted:

are there any up to date vehicle counts for the factions? Or guesses really.

Not really, and it looks like Russia is supplying BM-30s and TOS-1As to the Syrian military, here's a TOS-1As in action in Syria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SrKZd5tpNo

As well as getting loads more TOWs, Syrian rebel factions have also started to unify in joint commands thanks to Russian intervention. It's probably the best armed and most cohesive the Syrian rebels have been since the start of the conflict, thanks to Russia.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Brown Moses posted:

Not really, and it looks like Russia is supplying BM-30s and TOS-1As to the Syrian military, here's a TOS-1As in action in Syria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SrKZd5tpNo

As well as getting loads more TOWs, Syrian rebel factions have also started to unify in joint commands thanks to Russian intervention. It's probably the best armed and most cohesive the Syrian rebels have been since the start of the conflict, thanks to Russia.

drat...

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
So this really is turning into afghanistan in the 80's? I can't imagine things are going to turn out very well in the next decade in the area and in global politics

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I have a sneaking suspicion is going to be even worse

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
12 to 100 TOWs in a month? MANPADs before the year is over imo. Or is the US too wary of that after Afghanistan? Does Britain have anything to supply the rebels with if the US won't? France? Would anyone do anything if the US doesn't take the lead?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Syncopated posted:

12 to 100 TOWs in a month? MANPADs before the year is over imo. Or is the US too wary of that after Afghanistan? Does Britain have anything to supply the rebels with if the US won't? France? Would anyone do anything if the US doesn't take the lead?

Well as long as we're not stupid as hell and attempting to invade Syria in 2031, 10 years after the Soviets Russians pull out having suffered horrendous losses and leaving the country under the control of the Syrian Taliban, we shouldn't have any qualms about giving them stingers :v:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Syncopated posted:

Saudi, Qatar, UAE...

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Yeah I was going to say, the entire GCC is dumping loads of poo poo into Syria, both sanitized stuff from their own stocks as well as whatever they can get their hands on in the open market.

e: and at this point they're really not even bothering to be remotely covert about it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Even China has gotten in on the action. A Norinco Type 87 grenade launcher was seen in action with the rebels in September 2012. At last count those were only seen in Hong Kong and mainland China near Taiwan.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Something from Bangladesh or Pakistan, maybe? Or maybe just Norinco looking to make a buck.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Force de Fappe posted:

Something from Bangladesh or Pakistan, maybe? Or maybe just Norinco looking to make a buck.

I don't know of any other countries with one. There's nothing but speculation on small numbers of exports. I can see the guns and their ammos going directly to the rebels with no middleman.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I wonder if ISI is working some angle in Syria. Wouldn't surprise me.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
everybody probably has their dick in the bee-filled poo poo pie in some way or another

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Syncopated posted:

US doesn't have to. Plenty of people with inventory. Everyone+dog has manpads.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Pretty good way for countries with unproven weapons designs to give them a thorough shakedown, really.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So who's the bad guy so confused

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

evil_bunnY posted:

God knows how many got looted out of gadaffis warehouses

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Internet Wizard posted:

Pretty good way for countries with unproven weapons designs to give them a thorough shakedown, really.

Weren't there some Chinese manpads showing up on youtube a year or two ago?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

sky shark posted:

God knows how many got looted out of gadaffis warehouses

I wish Caro hadn't deleted most of his videos. He had some really interesting ones where he and his friends found a fuckload of MANPADS just lying around in the desert. All sorts of other poo poo too.

They probably needed batteries or something but I've seen videos of new batteries being rigged up.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

evil_bunnY posted:

Also having the US overtly giving someone weapons with which to kill Russians would be a bit too provocative.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

jesus that's sad

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
rip skeletor

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
thats a good photo in the sense that it reminds me the i am a tremendous pussy

rip

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
(4 with Valor + 7)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Chinatown posted:

(4 with Valor + 7)

Yeah that jumped out to me too. A terrible loss.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yeah that jumped out to me too. A terrible loss.

quote:

When Kurdish commandos went on a helicopter raid to rescue about 70 hostages who were about to be executed by Islamic State militants, the plan called for the Americans who accompanied them to offer support, not join in the action, Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter said on Friday. But then the Kurdish attack on the prison where the hostages were held stalled, and Sergeant Wheeler responded.

A former Delta Force officer who had commanded Sergeant Wheeler in Iraq and had been briefed on the mission said that the Kurdish fighters, known as pesh merga, tried to blast a hole in the compound’s outer wall, but could not. Sergeant Wheeler and another American, part of a team of 10 to 20 Delta Force operators who were present, ran up to the wall, breached it with explosives, and were the first ones through the hole.

Aerial reconnaissance had shown a newly dug mass grave at the prison, and the hostages were to be killed on the morning of the raid, Mr. Carter said. “That location was planned to be an execution center.”

The mission was a success, and the hostages were freed.

Saved 70 civilians and a dozen Kurdish fighters.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

Saved 70 civilians and a dozen Kurdish fighters.

:catstare:
So what's an enlisted man gotta do to get a silver star or higher in that mans armed forces?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Caconym posted:

:catstare:
So what's an enlisted man gotta do to get a silver star or higher in that mans armed forces?

Guy just died, award for this action hasn't been processed yet.

Also, gotta laugh at picture/caption combo:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Guy just died, award for this action hasn't been processed yet.

Also, gotta laugh at picture/caption combo:

:lol:

I feel bad to laugh about such a tragic loss, especially considering just how much of a hero that guy really is, but yeah he definitely doesn't look like the friendly sort.

I dunno, maybe it's just that picture and he spent most of his time smiling.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Yes. gently caress the army. Had an officer tell me that if they started giving out more medals it would "devalue" the medals that others already have :rolleyes: (you know, the ones that higher ups get for just breathing and sitting around all deployment)

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Oh man hosed up my jordans #TRENCHFOOT #MCDBFASTALLDAY #KAISERISMYBAE

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Thump! posted:

:lol:

I feel bad to laugh about such a tragic loss, especially considering just how much of a hero that guy really is, but yeah he definitely doesn't look like the friendly sort.

I dunno, maybe it's just that picture and he spent most of his time smiling.

maybe its called having some loving bearing m8

dude was a stone cold badass you dont get 4 bronze stars with vs for nothing

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Booblord Zagats posted:

Oh man hosed up my jordans #TRENCHFOOT #MCDBFASTALLDAY #KAISERISMYBAE

:chanpop:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Does anybody smell almonds? #GETSOMME