Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

When people discuss small displacement motorcycles as commuters they aren't picturing the commuting being done in rural Montana...more like...cities?

My 175 Honda comes from Missoula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Verge posted:

Maybe you guys can't see how his front end picked up but he accelerated, at first pretty calmly but when he gunned it, that's when I caught on. Yeah, this was a skill/experience issue, I'll admit, I rarely pass over yellow - I should've been more ready to pass with authority. I was in 6th gear accelerating mildly thinking cage wasn't a oval office. Think what you want, that dude blocked my pass and the police said it's not the first report of him doing that poo poo on this road.

Oh, and it's an xg750. Sorry I don't ride a super but it has more power than I can make use of.

So it's not your fault you weren't riding defensively, or within the capabilities of your bike?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Verge posted:

Maybe you guys can't see how his front end picked up but he accelerated, at first pretty calmly but when he gunned it, that's when I caught on. Yeah, this was a skill/experience issue, I'll admit, I rarely pass over yellow - I should've been more ready to pass with authority. I was in 6th gear accelerating mildly thinking cage wasn't a oval office. Think what you want, that dude blocked my pass and the police said it's not the first report of him doing that poo poo on this road.

Oh, and it's an xg750. Sorry I don't ride a super but it has more power than I can make use of.

No, sorry, you pulled out far too early, didn't overtake quick enough and didn't give the oncoming traffic enough time. If he'd "gunned it," you would have had to give it at least some more throttle. From the sounds of it you barely increased your speed from what you were approaching him at.

I ride a ZX10R, I wouldn't have made that overtake, you had nowhere near enough room to do it safely/comfortably.

I've watched that a few times now and I can't see the front of his car lift up as if he'd gunned it, can you give us a timestamp? I think you've just freaked out because you thought you had more time before the oncoming traffic.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I misjudged an oncoming rider's speed so badly once that I ended up passing him in his lane while next to a semi going my direction.

Oops, my bad. We totally all could have died.

The 5 people behind me told me he looked pissed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah there is no way I would have started that pass, even on the XR or the SuperDuke.

The right move would have been to close the gap immediately to 2-4 car lengths once you saw the line go broken for passing, and pin the throttle once you saw the gap in traffic. Overtakes have 2 configurations: lazy overtakes/undertakes when nothing is at stake, where you could lollygag around for 5-10 seconds without impacting anything solid, and the alternative, where you are moving past someone as quickly as possible.

It's also incredibly terrible form to pass anyone if it only gets you to a red light faster. Yes, even if you're planning to make a right on red.

E: I have made terrible passes myself - not without sin here. But you should realize that if you were taken out there you would be 100% at fault. You might have a legal place on the road but that doesn't protect you from getting hit, and when you make a bad call on top of that reality, you're setting yourself up for a long, unpleasant hospital stay.

E2: oh and if your typical rando in a car can make your pass risky and terrible by mashing the pedal to the floor/jerking the wheel a few degrees, it's a bad decision to pass there.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 25, 2015

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

nsaP posted:

Yes I realize, do they have a speed limit of 80 as well? No one is suggesting to take a commute bike on the highway dummy, take the chip off your shoulder.

Where the interstates pass the cities they do on which people commute to and from, and if you look up thread, moron you'll find they were stating why you shouldn't commute on American highways on a smaller bike, which I was agreeing with. That said that does not prevent people from trying.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Verge posted:

clearly

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Looks I'm outnumbered here. I don't deny that I encountered new (to me) circumstances that put lives in danger. For request of time stamp it was right as his front window left the camera's view, I'd say. I could see it with my eyes and him gunning it only confirmed my suspicion that he was intentionally loving with me.

That's the heart of my point here, he's a dick.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

YF19pilot posted:

And it's something about our culture that no matter what we will actually do with the motorcycle, it has to be capable of interstate speeds. Even if you never take it on an interstate. There's just that cultural bug that it has to be viable on a 75 mph interstate. Because, how can I prove I'm a man if I can't keep up with a Prius on I-95?

Every city/state is different, but generally speaking you have to hit the highway unless you're taking the scoot a few blocks over to the store, a friend's house, or you're just fine with taking an hour or more to get somewhere that should have taken 20min.

It's not cultural, it's a hard physical limit. They're just not viable for 95% of the country.

nsaP posted:

When people discuss small displacement motorcycles as commuters they aren't picturing the commuting being done in rural Montana...more like...cities?

People with enough money to live inside larger cities can afford nicer things than clapped out Honda Cubs, people that live in the suburbs won't be able to get anywhere but Applebees, and people that live in small towns buy them when they need to get around the whole "I got a DWI so they took my license" thing.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 25, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Verge posted:

Looks I'm outnumbered here. I don't deny that I encountered new (to me) circumstances that put lives in danger. For request of time stamp it was right as his front window left the camera's view, I'd say. I could see it with my eyes and him gunning it only confirmed my suspicion that he was intentionally loving with me.

Your camera makes things like acceleration kind of hard to see, but what everyone is saying that we've all had people try to block us in one way or another (I had a loving Rav4 try to block me into the left lane of an otherwise empty highway once). And making a pass where you're going into oncoming traffic but need to rely on someone doing 10-20 under to not be erratic (or a dick) is a gamble.

People (rarely) intentionally gently caress with bikes. You have to count on that when you think about things like "Can I make this pass?". That's the heart of mostly everyone's point here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got passed in the same lane by a guy the other day. I was on the elite, and he was on some manner of sportster.

I'm sure he though I was on a 50cc scoot that was going to be all done at 35mph, but as soon as the speed limit went from 30 to 55, he gunned it past me in the same lane.

I caught up to him and passed him, as he proceeded to do exactly 50mph, but I decided against the "same lane pass while flipping him off" maneuver because I assume all Harley riders are unprepared to handle being startled.

People are idiots.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I got passed in the same lane by a guy the other day. I was on the elite, and he was on some manner of sportster.

I'm sure he though I was on a 50cc scoot that was going to be all done at 35mph, but as soon as the speed limit went from 30 to 55, he gunned it past me in the same lane.
On my last trip to the midwest on my old BMW which has the top speed of a 200cc scooter a Harley guy on some Dyna or something with ridiculously loud pipes did that to me on a wide open road through the hills with no oncoming traffic. But he thought it was necessary to go past me in my own lane as close as he could and as loud as he could. I was doing at or over the speed limit too, I was no obstruction to traffic. So Harley people are the worst people basically.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

So Harley people are the worst people basically.
They don't even wave and I can't even hear my sewing machine of a bike over their pipes. :mad:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Is it poor manners to pass in the same lane on a crowded highway? I've been riding for 9 years but none of my friends really ride so I've basically learned rider etiquette from threads like these and my own observations/instincts. Once while catching up to a Harley rather quickly in the left lane of a highway while the right lane was full of cars he actually just pointed next to himself and waved through giving me the go ahead to same lane pass him but I figured that same lane passes were kind of a dick move if you weren't instructed to do so.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

bigbillystyle posted:

Is it poor manners to pass in the same lane on a crowded highway? I've been riding for 9 years but none of my friends really ride so I've basically learned rider etiquette from threads like these and my own observations/instincts. Once while catching up to a Harley rather quickly in the left lane of a highway while the right lane was full of cars he actually just pointed next to himself and waved through giving me the go ahead to same lane pass him but I figured that same lane passes were kind of a dick move if you weren't instructed to do so.

This is correct. I'm a pretty slow splitter these days and I let past around 5-10 bikes per commute, and usually my routine is - once they get close I put on my blinker, wait for a gap, pull to the left, and wave them by. I've had a few guys strafe me while lane splitting and it is seriously not cool.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

It can be done safely for sure, but it seems like same-lane passes could be dangerous if the one being passed doesn't know what's going on and is operating with the assumption they have the whole lane to themselves. If they acknowledge and wave you around then go for it but otherwise I'd call it risky and potentially dickish.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Marxalot posted:

Every city/state is different, but generally speaking you have to hit the highway unless you're taking the scoot a few blocks over to the store, a friend's house, or you're just fine with taking an hour or more to get somewhere that should have taken 20min.

It's not cultural, it's a hard physical limit. They're just not viable for 95% of the country.

This is a really broad generalization. I've never lived anywhere that the interstate/high speed highway was the only real option, except in the more rural areas. The interstate highway system is new enough that it usually follows regular highways or roads that have existed for a lot longer. Unless you're traveling long distances, like all day, interstate doesn't seem to make a really big difference in travel time.

In Front Range Colorado, it's usually a lot faster to use the older highways to get between towns rather than I25. Definitely safer, too. Once inside Denver though, there isn't much can option than the interstates. I agree that that's the case for a lot of bigger US cities, but I've never found a big enough time difference traveling on 55 mph highways between towns and in all but the biggest cities.

So my point I guess is that 250ish bikes are perfectly suited for the majority of US travel, except in those cities where interstate is a daily necessity. And those cities are a minority of the miles of road in the U.S.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Verge posted:

It doesn't matter if he's a dick, you're a lovely as gently caress rider doing dumb as gently caress stuff looking for some kind of weird echo chamber to pat you on the back and say "wow what a cager!" and you're not going to get that.

go post your lovely pass on reddit if you want some ball fondling

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Z3n posted:

This is correct. I'm a pretty slow splitter these days and I let past around 5-10 bikes per commute, and usually my routine is - once they get close I put on my blinker, wait for a gap, pull to the left, and wave them by. I've had a few guys strafe me while lane splitting and it is seriously not cool.
Yeah I generally just see them coming in the rear views, and get out of the split near the double yellows and everyone seems to just know then they can just split past me.

By strafe you when lane splitting do you mean they actually like split your split? That's insane, I can't even imagine there being enough space in 99% of the places I split.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Sort of the opposite of a rant here (apart from my annoyance that I forgot to turn my camera on so I didn't catch this), but I had a guy a few weeks ago on a scooter cause me to brake and swerve when we both went for the same gap from opposite sides (I was in a bus lane in the left, he was pulling out from a turning on the right). He gave me a wave, a thumbs up, then smacked himself upside the head as I joined the filter lane behind him, which made me chuckle.

But yeah, I'm going to get machine guns fitted to deal with the utter wankers who do what I call the Accountant Move (because it's almost exclusively big Beemers and Harleys that do it). Going down a bus lane, slow-moving or stopped traffic in the right lane, come up to a (moving) bus that doesn't have room to filter past, at least while moving at speed. I sit three-four car lengths back from the bus and slightly behind it (about 2/3rds across the lane, slightly right of "primary"). The idea is that I'm far enough out to be able to quickly move past the bus if a gap appears while having an escape route if a car suddenly decides he's actually a bus.

Accountants seem to think that this is me inviting them to shoot up my left side and sit exactly on the buses rear corner, the exact most-dangerous place to be, and then of course block me from filtering past the bus when it stops because their stupid fat cases mean they're wider than a loving Smart Car.

(Scooters love shooting up my right hand side which is even loving stupider but they at least are generally narrow, and stupid, enough to be able to get past the bus - I'm less annoyed by them because although they're theoretically endangering my life they're endangering their own more, and i'm a bitter, bitter man)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This is a really broad generalization. I've never lived anywhere that the interstate/high speed highway was the only real option, except in the more rural areas. The interstate highway system is new enough that it usually follows regular highways or roads that have existed for a lot longer. Unless you're traveling long distances, like all day, interstate doesn't seem to make a really big difference in travel time.

In Front Range Colorado, it's usually a lot faster to use the older highways to get between towns rather than I25. Definitely safer, too. Once inside Denver though, there isn't much can option than the interstates. I agree that that's the case for a lot of bigger US cities, but I've never found a big enough time difference traveling on 55 mph highways between towns and in all but the biggest cities.

So my point I guess is that 250ish bikes are perfectly suited for the majority of US travel, except in those cities where interstate is a daily necessity. And those cities are a minority of the miles of road in the U.S.

A 125-150cc scooter has been adequate in 2 of the 3 places I've lived and ridden. The place where it wasn't (Richland, WA, part of the Tri-Cities) is as sprawly as a place gets. There are parts of Richland that are only accessible by 70mph freeway or 60mph highway if you want to stay within city limits, or you can go through a neighboring town to get there on 40mph surface streets. The other two places (Bellingham and Seattle) are entirely livable without using the interstates.

Sub-250cc bikes may not be practical for 100% of commuters but there are still many millions that could get by just fine on one.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

At least in Chicago, it sucks going places if the highway isn't an option. I live on the northwest side, and getting downtown or to Midway airport would suck if my only options were like taking Milwaukee or loving Cicero the whole way. Even getting to O'hare, which is relatively close to me, or going to nearby suburbs like Niles and Skokie takes like 3 times longer on surface streets. I would dearly love (and plan) to have a Grom, but as a secondary bike that I can use for getting to work or going to places like Lincoln Square that aren't near any highways.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

My 400A might as well be a 250 for the power (not much) and top speed (maybe 80mph) it has, and I definitely wouldn't be interstate blasting on it, but surface streets and the 40-50mph 'highways' in town are just fine. I could easily get around DFW (one of the sprawliest places I know of) on it, the real highways around here suck anyway.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Razzled posted:

go post your lovely pass on reddit if you want some ball fondling
This is good advice, there is indeed a lot of ball fondling going on on reddit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gillingham posted:

Yeah I generally just see them coming in the rear views, and get out of the split near the double yellows and everyone seems to just know then they can just split past me.

By strafe you when lane splitting do you mean they actually like split your split? That's insane, I can't even imagine there being enough space in 99% of the places I split.

Yup, doubling down in the split. It's a good time.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Verge posted:

The heart of our point is, irrelevant of whether the driver was a dick or not, that was a very dangerous pass. You put yourself in a bad situation that was entirely avoidable if you'd just kept your cool. Even if the driver was a complete champ, you should not have tried to pass there. It's very dangerous to always blame other drivers and completely the opposite of what you should be doing: examining your OWN riding, because at the end of the day that's the only thing that will keep you in one piece.

I don't know about everyone else, but the safest thing to do if you run into assholes is blow it off and keep your cool.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

A 125-150cc scooter has been adequate in 2 of the 3 places I've lived and ridden. The place where it wasn't (Richland, WA, part of the Tri-Cities) is as sprawly as a place gets. There are parts of Richland that are only accessible by 70mph freeway or 60mph highway if you want to stay within city limits, or you can go through a neighboring town to get there on 40mph surface streets. The other two places (Bellingham and Seattle) are entirely livable without using the interstates.

Sub-250cc bikes may not be practical for 100% of commuters but there are still many millions that could get by just fine on one.

captainOrbital posted:

At least in Chicago, it sucks going places if the highway isn't an option. I live on the northwest side, and getting downtown or to Midway airport would suck if my only options were like taking Milwaukee or loving Cicero the whole way. Even getting to O'hare, which is relatively close to me, or going to nearby suburbs like Niles and Skokie takes like 3 times longer on surface streets. I would dearly love (and plan) to have a Grom, but as a secondary bike that I can use for getting to work or going to places like Lincoln Square that aren't near any highways.

Yeah, I definitely concede that big cities (Denver, Las Vegas, Chicago), and quite a few less well-laid out smaller ones (Memphis, Little Rock) can't be done in reasonable time without the interstate. In my personal driving/riding experience though, those are the exception and not the rule.

But I also kind of build my life around not living in cities though.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I want to live in a place where doubling down on the split is even a possibility. Over here you only get few inches, and you need to get creative when you need to pass either a pickup (what the hell dude) or a car that has trouble with the concept of driving on the middle of the road.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Barnsy posted:

The heart of our point is, irrelevant of whether the driver was a dick or not, that was a very dangerous pass. You put yourself in a bad situation that was entirely avoidable if you'd just kept your cool. Even if the driver was a complete champ, you should not have tried to pass there. It's very dangerous to always blame other drivers and completely the opposite of what you should be doing: examining your OWN riding, because at the end of the day that's the only thing that will keep you in one piece.

I don't know about everyone else, but the safest thing to do if you run into assholes is blow it off and keep your cool.

The safest thing to do is to not ride motorcycles and to quit smoking. Neither of those is the cool thing to do.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I vape and ride electric, I'm the future of cool :awesomelon:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

:roboluv:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Give me your lunch money, nerd.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Give me your lunch money, nerd.

You can't mug a bit coin account!

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I caught up to him and passed him, as he proceeded to do exactly 50mph, but I decided against the "same lane pass while flipping him off" maneuver because I assume all Harley riders are unprepared to handle being startled.

People are idiots.

I would've buzzed him. You have my permission, as a Harley rider, to do so in low gear.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

On my last trip to the midwest on my old BMW which has the top speed of a 200cc scooter a Harley guy on some Dyna or something with ridiculously loud pipes did that to me on a wide open road through the hills with no oncoming traffic. But he thought it was necessary to go past me in my own lane as close as he could and as loud as he could. I was doing at or over the speed limit too, I was no obstruction to traffic. So Harley people are the worst people basically.

Can I say BWM people are the worst then? Pops and I were up in the mountains of North Georgia hauling rear end, going too fast for conditions, being all around hooligans, etc. This BMW with a passenger on the back passes me in my lane on one of the straights while I was doing 60. The speed limit was 35. No he didn't pull off and leave me in the corners after that either.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Coredump posted:

Can I say BWM people are the worst then? Pops and I were up in the mountains of North Georgia hauling rear end, going too fast for conditions, being all around hooligans, etc. This BMW with a passenger on the back passes me in my lane on one of the straights while I was doing 60. The speed limit was 35. No he didn't pull off and leave me in the corners after that either.
That wasn't a bmw owner, that was a Harley owner who made the mistake of getting a bmw because a friend recommended them, soon he'll trade it back for a Harley because the bmw doesn't embody his true spirit and lust for life

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

One of these guys was trying to show off his :clint: LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES :911: special a couple months back when I was taking the FZ6 to work. Kept riding on my tire, passing doing 100, stuck behind a car, brake hard, ride my tire again. Repeat. The whole time I'm in the left lane doing 75 with a few cars just kind of watching him.

He gunned it past me right before the interchange and proceeded to brake so hard he almost hit the wall. I don't think he was counting on his bike standing up when he hit his brakes. It did.

It's not even a sharp turn at all. I don't know how Harleys handle but there's no reason it couldn't have taken that corner at 90 at the very least. :v:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 26, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

You can't mug a bit coin account!

Send me your bitcoins, I'll send you back double.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Verge posted:

I would've buzzed him. You have my permission, as a Harley rider, to do so in low gear.

Take a video of it and post it up seeking approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Take a video of it and post it up seeking approval.

What is this seeking approval accusation poo poo? I admitted it showed ignorance, though I didn't focus on it. Is that a crime? "Hey guys, I almost got hit because I was unprepared for douchebags," is hardly seeking approval. If this was about approval, I would've made sure to bring my leathers so that I could've just put the motorcycle into a controlled slide to avoid the confrontation altogether. /s